Now msnbc.com is promoting Firefox - Linux

This is a discussion on Now msnbc.com is promoting Firefox - Linux ; http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23729366/ For a company that controls and corrupts the world's media (claims of various cola lusers), MS sure has a hard time keeping their own joint venture website quiet about Linux and open source....

  1. Now msnbc.com is promoting Firefox

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23729366/

    For a company that controls and corrupts the world's media (claims of
    various cola lusers), MS sure has a hard time keeping their own joint
    venture website quiet about Linux and open source.

  2. Re: Now msnbc.com is promoting Firefox

    "DFS" wrote in message
    news:e%LIj.16164$%15.14399@bignews7.bellsouth.net. ..
    > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23729366/
    >
    > For a company that controls and corrupts the world's media (claims of
    > various cola lusers), MS sure has a hard time keeping their own joint
    > venture website quiet about Linux and open source.

    Obviously Microsoft is not the monolith that the COLA fans like to consider
    it to be. Nothing is simple anymore and that applies to business. In spite
    of the tales of things like the Christmas Beta and "DOS is not done until
    Lotus won't run", Microsoft, at least at its core, recognizes that Windows,
    like DOS before it, needs to be a one stop shopping product that customers
    can immediately put to beneficial use without an external dependency. The
    more things that work with Windows and thus the more utility that customers
    obtain from using Windows as a platform, the better for Microsoft. I note
    that virtually all OSS applications have Windows versions and many are only
    available as Windows programs. Microsoft fosters this kind of thing in many
    ways, not the least of which is the opening of Visual Studio to almost
    anyone with an urge to program or create a web site. The game development
    tool support is terrific, too.

    In regard to browsers, remember that one of the war stories in support of
    Microsoft's alleged malicious behavior centers around Netscape and the "cut
    off their air supply" comment. But remember the basics of that story, which
    was Microsoft trying to get Netscape to commit to providing a free browser
    for Windows in the Win95 timeframe. Netscape said no to that offer,
    thinking that browsers would be so important that they could be the next
    Microsoft. Now everyone is somehow trying to make something out of free
    browsers, which is what Microsoft wanted all along.

    If you are a student of marketing tactics, you have to have a sense that
    product differentiation is the most important thing that you can establish.
    Yet the OSS world seems bent on imitation with virtually all of their
    flagship products designed to clone or ape some popular commercial product.
    That has never been the road to success.

  3. Re: Now msnbc.com is promoting Firefox

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 09:37:51 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23729366/
    >
    > For a company that controls and corrupts the world's media (claims of
    > various cola lusers), MS sure has a hard time keeping their own joint
    > venture website quiet about Linux and open source.

    Yes, open source has reached the point where it is quite difficult to
    ignore.

  4. Re: Now msnbc.com is promoting Firefox

    On 2 Apr 2008 15:35:59 GMT, ray wrote:

    >On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 09:37:51 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23729366/
    >>
    >> For a company that controls and corrupts the world's media (claims of
    >> various cola lusers), MS sure has a hard time keeping their own joint
    >> venture website quiet about Linux and open source.

    >Yes, open source has reached the point where it is quite difficult to
    >ignore.

    Nobody is ignoring FireFox, you stupid. MS Supports if since the very
    first version of SilverLight, for example. However Firefox is not
    Linux, it's popular, huge difference...

+ Reply to Thread