Skilled-Worker Visa Applicants Expected to Soar

,----[ Quote ]
| The visa stalemate has prompted some companies to expand overseas. In
| September, Microsoft opened its first software-development center in Canada,
| saying it enabled the company to recruit and retain highly skilled
| people "affected by immigration issues in the U.S."
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1206...googlenews_wsj

Blackmail for cheaper labour, under the guise of many lies and excuses.

Microsoft co-founder backing Bitove's attempt to gain hold in wireless

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. co-founder and billionaire Paul Allen has agreed to back
| investor John Bitove's attempt to gain a position in the Canadian wireless
| industry during the spectrum auction in May.
`----

http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...pslxirC_W2V-pQ

Related:

Bidders Set for Airwaves Auction

,----[ Quote ]
| Vulcan Spectrum LLC, a company owned by Microsoft Corp. co-founder Paul G.
| Allen, also qualified. Among Allen's many investments is Charter
| Communications Inc., a cable company with 5.7 million subscribers. *
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080115/spect...tion.html?.v=1

Patent troll? Say it ain't so, Paul Allen

,----[ Quote ]
| Digeo is a company that's famous for two things, and neither of them is
| the product it makes. Thing One: it is funded by Vulcan, the venture
| company owned by one of the iconic figures of the computer business,
| Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft. Allen is also the chairman of
| Digeo's board. Thing Two: Digeo has done far better extracting licensing
| fees for its patent portfolio out of companies like Palmsource and,
| presumably, Yahoo, than it has selling its interactive-TV systems.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/3497

Microsoft co-founder looks to add to spectrum cache

,----[ Quote ]
| Allen, through Vulcan Spectrum LLC, disclosed a commitment earlier this week
| to bid at the Jan. 24 auction, alongside companies including Google Inc. and
| AT&T Inc. *
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&siteid=yhoof
http://tinyurl.com/2743fu

CPE STB vendor goes retail with Linux-based DVRs

,----[ Quote ]
| Paul Allen's Digeo venture is perhaps best-known in the Linux
| community as the employer of Andrew Morton, Linux 2.6 maintainer
| and right-hand man to Linux creator Linus Torvalds.
`----

Linux and FlipStart

,----[ Quote ]
| On the subject of Linux, one reader recently asked whether Paul Allen's new
| FlipStart miniature computer had been tested for use with the open-source
| operating system...
|
| "We have tested various flavors of Linux on FlipStart and it will
| run just fine..."
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...ves/113347.asp

Review: the Little Laptop That Can't