[News] School District Bring in GNU/Linux, Mandriva Enters Education Market - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] School District Bring in GNU/Linux, Mandriva Enters Education Market - Linux ; Pawtucket School District: A Virtual Iron Success Story ,----[ Quote ] | St. Jean then turned to VMware Server. He told me that he liked the price | (VMware server is free). The management utilities, especially with the | web-based ...

  1. [News] School District Bring in GNU/Linux, Mandriva Enters Education Market

    Pawtucket School District: A Virtual Iron Success Story

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | St. Jean then turned to VMware Server. He told me that he liked the price
    | (VMware server is free). The management utilities, especially with the
    | web-based extensions were also very nice. It had multi-platform
    | capabilities - enabling it to support Linux Guests on Windows Hosts, and
    | Windows Guests on Linux Hosts. St. Jean was able to build, copy, migrate and
    | destroy a dozen virtual machines with no problems.Overall, VMware Server was
    | very easy to use and very stable.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/virtualization/?p=377

    Mandriva and Novatice Technologies present Edutice, The ready to use solution
    dedicated to educationand multimedia spaces

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Edutice enables work spaces to be automatically deployed on schoolroom,
    | archive centre or library computers.
    |
    | Mandriva, the leading European Linux publisher, and Novatice Technologies,
    | are developing in partnership information technology solutions to permit the
    | management and dynamic creation of work environments.
    `----

    http://www.mandriva.com/enterprise/e...olution-dedica

    Days ago:

    Debian Linux powers science education device

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | An education supplies company has announced a portable science education
    | computer that runs embedded Debian Linux. Pasco says it designed its
    | sensor-equipped Spark Science Learning System for collaborative science
    | experiments by students, for example measuring cond * uctivity or tracking
    | temperature changes. * *
    `----

    Related:

    Mandriva Linux selected as "Product of the Year 2007" at the Russian Softool
    event

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mandriva has been selected as 'Product of the Year 2007' in the Linux
    | category at the Softool exhibition in Moscow. The 'Product of the Year 2007'
    | competition was held by the department of information technologies and
    | computing systems of the Russian Academy of Sciences, the Federal Agency of
    | Information Technologies, the publishing house SK Press, and IT-expo. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Mandriva Linux will also soon be certified by the Federal Service of Export
    | and Technical Control, allowing public sector agencies and organizations
    | dealing with confidential information to use Mandriva Linux. *
    `----

    http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/nov/..._softool_event

    Russian public agencies choose Mandriva

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mandriva development is carried out jointly by Mandriva's offices in Russia,
    | France and Brazil. The Mandriva Linux OS is thus considered a national OS for
    | Russia. The decision of FSTEC of the Russian Federation (RF) implied that
    | Russian public agencies will be authorised to use the Mandriva Linux OS on
    | PCs running confidential information. * *
    `----

    http://www.mandriva.com/company/pres...hoose_mandriva

    Russian Government Will Migrate to OpenSource

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Russia decided to follow after EU countries, where opensource
    | solutions are more spread then in Russia. Currently, some Russian
    | companies can offer their own Desktop Linux OS (the major companies
    | are ASPLinux, ALTLinux, Linux-Online and LinuxCenter).
    `----

    http://danays.blogspot.com/2006/12/r...igrate-to.html

    Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft says that the incident has nothing to do with them, but it
    | appears that Russian schools in the area are so scared about being shipped
    | off to a Siberian Gulag, that they are buying Linux gear instead.
    |
    | [..]
    |
    | According to Karpushin, schools would start using freely distributed
    | software like the Linux OS, Russky office and Open office desktop apps,
    | Ekho Moskvi reports.
    `----

    Linux Education in America: Inspiration from Russia?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The reason that the Russian announcement is funny boils down to the
    | perception over the years that Russia equates to totalitarianism, whilst here
    | in America we're all about Freedom and innovation. Yet our educational
    | system -- the very underpinnings of how we're growing out future
    | technological talent, is based upon the inversion of what one would expect
    | given the respective reputations of both countries. * *
    `----

    Russia is latest country to move towards OpenDocument format and open standards *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The stated rationale for this legislation is that “open standards will
    | contribute to an increased number of bidders for government contracts and
    | will increase opportunities for Russian software developers... [and] the
    | problem of interoperability will be addressed as will the ability to access
    | information into the future.” * *
    `----

    http://www.itrportal.com/absolutenm/...4410&zoneid=57

    Russian Linux (ALTLinux) to be installed in every school in Russia

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Russian OS is to be installed on every school computer in Russia by 2009.
    | Furthermore, every pupil will get the opportunity to operate the applied
    | software produced in Russia, Leonid Reiman, acting Minister of Communication
    | stated at a press conference. According to Mr. Reiman, that might
    | significantly reduce Russian dependence on foreign software. * *
    `----

    http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn...%2F14%2F266177

    Linux being launched at schools

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Besides the operating system the package is to comprise some freely
    | distributed programs, close to MS Office by their functionality, which are to
    | be used on computers with the following characteristics: 233 MHz and 128MB
    | DDR. *
    `----

    http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn...7/10/25/272200

  2. Re: [News] School District Bring in GNU/Linux, Mandriva Enters Education Market

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Pawtucket School District: A Virtual Iron Success Story
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| St. Jean then turned to VMware Server. He told me that he liked the price
    >| (VMware server is free). The management utilities, especially with the
    >| web-based extensions were also very nice. It had multi-platform
    >| capabilities - enabling it to support Linux Guests on Windows Hosts, and
    >| Windows Guests on Linux Hosts. St. Jean was able to build, copy, migrate and
    >| destroy a dozen virtual machines with no problems.Overall, VMware Server was
    >| very easy to use and very stable.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/virtualization/?p=377
    >
    > Mandriva and Novatice Technologies present Edutice, The ready to use solution
    > dedicated to educationand multimedia spaces
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Edutice enables work spaces to be automatically deployed on schoolroom,
    >| archive centre or library computers.
    >|
    >| Mandriva, the leading European Linux publisher, and Novatice Technologies,
    >| are developing in partnership information technology solutions to permit the
    >| management and dynamic creation of work environments.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.mandriva.com/enterprise/e...olution-dedica

    It won't be long before the question of "why are you not running linux"
    is the common one, rather than highlighting those which have, quite
    rightly, already made the only sensible switch.

  3. Re: [News] School District Bring in GNU/Linux, Mandriva Enters Education Market

    ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 17 April 2008 14:12 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Pawtucket School District: A Virtual Iron Success Story
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| St. Jean then turned to VMware Server. He told me that he liked the price
    >>| (VMware server is free). The management utilities, especially with the
    >>| web-based extensions were also very nice. It had multi-platform
    >>| capabilities - enabling it to support Linux Guests on Windows Hosts, and
    >>| Windows Guests on Linux Hosts. St. Jean was able to build, copy, migrate
    >>| and destroy a dozen virtual machines with no problems.Overall, VMware
    >>| Server was very easy to use and very stable.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/virtualization/?p=377
    >>
    >> Mandriva and Novatice Technologies present Edutice, The ready to use
    >> solution dedicated to educationand multimedia spaces
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Edutice enables work spaces to be automatically deployed on schoolroom,
    >>| archive centre or library computers.
    >>|
    >>| Mandriva, the leading European Linux publisher, and Novatice Technologies,
    >>| are developing in partnership information technology solutions to permit
    >>| the management and dynamic creation of work environments.
    >> `----

    http://www.mandriva.com/enterprise/e...olution-dedica

    > It won't be long before the question of "why are you not running linux"
    > is the common one, rather than highlighting those which have, quite
    > rightly, already made the only sensible switch.

    In some places you already need a special permission to use proprietary
    software.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | GPL'd 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
    15:05:01 up 2 days, 13:17, 3 users, load average: 1.68, 0.87, 0.71

  4. Re: [News] School District Bring in GNU/Linux, Mandriva Enters Education Market

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 17 April 2008 14:12 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Pawtucket School District: A Virtual Iron Success Story
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/virtualization/?p=377
    >>>
    >>> Mandriva and Novatice Technologies present Edutice, The ready to use
    >>> solution dedicated to educationand multimedia spaces
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >>> `----
    >>>

    > http://www.mandriva.com/enterprise/e...olution-dedica
    >>>

    >> It won't be long before the question of "why are you not running linux"
    >> is the common one, rather than highlighting those which have, quite
    >> rightly, already made the only sensible switch.

    > In some places you already need a special permission to use proprietary
    > software.

    Where are these bastions of enlighted luminary thinkers?

  5. Re: [News] School District Bring in GNU/Linux, Mandriva Enters Education Market

    ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 21 April 2008 08:17 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 17 April 2008 14:12 : \____
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    http://www.mandriva.com/enterprise/e...olution-dedica

    >>> It won't be long before the question of "why are you not running linux"
    >>> is the common one, rather than highlighting those which have, quite
    >>> rightly, already made the only sensible switch.

    >> In some places you already need a special permission to use proprietary
    >> software.
    >>

    > Where are these bastions of enlighted luminary thinkers?

    Parts of India and Holland, IIRC. There are also individual businesses that
    adopt such an approach. One British business that made the transition recently
    raved about great success.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: the buttocks is the largest muscle
    run-level 2 2008-04-15 01:48 last=