Baggage-handling system glitch mars Heathrow's T5 opening .. - Linux

This is a discussion on Baggage-handling system glitch mars Heathrow's T5 opening .. - Linux ; "A spokeswoman for airport owner BAA said British Airways ground- handling staff were experiencing problems with logging onto the system, resulting in delays for arriving passengers, who were left waiting for their bags" http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...t5-opening.htm "British Airways has confirmed it was ...

  1. Baggage-handling system glitch mars Heathrow's T5 opening ..

    "A spokeswoman for airport owner BAA said British Airways ground-
    handling staff were experiencing problems with logging onto the
    system, resulting in delays for arriving passengers, who were left
    waiting for their bags"

    http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...t5-opening.htm

    "British Airways has confirmed it was sending thousands of bags to
    Milan to better cope with a massive backlog of luggage caused by
    turmoil at its newly opened terminal at London Heathrow"

    "Remember Denver International? Where they fought the machines for a
    decade, and finally tore them out? Well, this is a lot like that, but
    with a British flavor. And fistfights"

    http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...4-e8b470c6ebbf

    Is this an example of 'agile' software ...

  2. Re: Baggage-handling system glitch mars Heathrow's T5 opening ..

    Doug Mentohl wrote:

    >"Remember Denver International? Where they fought the machines for a
    >decade, and finally tore them out? Well, this is a lot like that, but
    >with a British flavor. And fistfights"

    And then a soccer game broke-out. 8)

  3. a soccer game broke-out ..

    On 2 Apr, 14:32, chrisv wrote:

    > And then a soccer game broke-out. * 8)

    Normally they have the riot after the game ..

  4. Re: Baggage-handling system glitch mars Heathrow's T5 opening ..

    On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 06:28:18 -0700 (PDT), Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > "A spokeswoman for airport owner BAA said British Airways ground-
    > handling staff were experiencing problems with logging onto the
    > system, resulting in delays for arriving passengers, who were left
    > waiting for their bags"
    >
    > http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...t5-opening.htm
    >
    > "British Airways has confirmed it was sending thousands of bags to
    > Milan to better cope with a massive backlog of luggage caused by
    > turmoil at its newly opened terminal at London Heathrow"
    >
    > "Remember Denver International? Where they fought the machines for a
    > decade, and finally tore them out? Well, this is a lot like that, but
    > with a British flavor. And fistfights"
    >
    > http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...4-e8b470c6ebbf
    >
    > Is this an example of 'agile' software ...

    Do you have information to suggest that "agile" was used?

    Hell, do you have any information to suggest that the software was
    developed quickly at all?

    No, of course you don't. You're just being a retard.

  5. Re: Baggage-handling system glitch mars Heathrow's T5 opening ..

    On 2 Apr, 19:12, Erik Funkenbusch aka amicus_curious wrote:

    > Do you have information to suggest that "agile" was used?

    > Hell, do you have any information to suggest that the software was developed quickly at all?

    Well, I asked the question, do you have any information as to what
    software methodology was used ? Here's your chance to blame Linux,
    tell us it wasn't Windows ..

    > No, of course you don't. *You're just being a retard.- Hide quoted text -

    Like, is calling someone 'retard' supposed to impress your
    troll.master at MICROS~1 ..

    pathetic is what you are ..

  6. Re: Baggage-handling system glitch mars Heathrow's T5 opening ..

    On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 06:48:58 -0700 (PDT), Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > On 2 Apr, 19:12, Erik Funkenbusch aka amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> Do you have information to suggest that "agile" was used?

    >> Hell, do you have any information to suggest that the software was developed quickly at all?

    > Well, I asked the question, do you have any information as to what
    > software methodology was used ? Here's your chance to blame Linux,
    > tell us it wasn't Windows ..

    I don't know anything about the project. I don't know what OS or hardware
    or anything about it. But then, neither do you apparently.

    >> No, of course you don't. *You're just being a retard.- Hide quoted text -

    > Like, is calling someone 'retard' supposed to impress your
    > troll.master at MICROS~1 ..
    >
    > pathetic is what you are ..

    No, calling you a retard is simply stating the obvious.

  7. Re: Baggage-handling system glitch mars Heathrow's T5 opening ..

    On 3 Apr, 18:17, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    > On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 06:48:58 -0700 (PDT), Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > do you have any information as to what software methodology was used ..

    > I don't know anything about the project ..

    Well then **** off out of my thread, you ignorant piece of rat turd ..

  8. Re: Baggage-handling system glitch mars Heathrow's T5 opening ..

    On 2 Apr, 14:32, chrisv wrote:

    > And then a soccer game broke-out. 8)

    "The log on system initially didn't work," a BA spokesperson said.
    "There was an issue with that for some reason."

    "The high tech baggage system .. Created through 400,000 man hours of
    software engineering, it was designed and supplied by Vanderlande
    Industries in conjunction with IBM technology and Alstec, who are
    operating the system"

    http://www.cio.com.au/index.php/id;1...98;fp;2;fpid;1

    I figure one of the problems is that there are multiple companies
    supplying parts of the system that are supposed to all work together,
    except of course, in practice, they don't. A failure in one component
    leads to a catastrophic lockup of the whole system. And people expert
    in area A don't know squat about area B.

    'He blamed the disruption on a number of areas .. "In isolation, they
    would not have had the impact they did, but in combination they led to
    a level of disruption we never took control of during the day',
    cio.com.au article

    "The Terminal 5 project involved significantly more players than many
    of the baggage handling installations VI had previously managed, notes
    Monique Wood" VanderlandeIndustries.pdf article

    How difficult is it to get luggage off an aircraft and routed to the
    requisite carousel or onto another plane, it's not rocket science.
    Another question I would have asked before signing the contract, is
    this the first time this system was installed and if not, can we see
    it working. I see from VanderlandeIndustries.pdf, it's a first timer.
    'Never do anything for the first time' (Douglas Mentohl). Now that's a
    lot more usefull than 'there is no silver bullet', are ya listening
    Fred Brooks !!!

    "Vanderlande Industries Success Story" get it before it
    disappears ..

    "With the help of Primavera scheduling software, the system was
    completed on time and without cost overruns or disruption to the
    overall Terminal 5 project"

    "Every few months the project's focus changed, Wood notes. For
    instance, the emphasis shifted from steelwork and mechanical concerns
    to the electrical and testing aspects of the project"

    "A Successful Transition to Agile Development"

    http://www.primavera.com/newsroom/ar...ile_052005.pdf

    Sure sounds like 'agile' methods to me ..

    http://www.primavera.com/files/custo...Industries.pdf

  9. Re: Baggage-handling system glitch mars Heathrow's T5 opening ..

    On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 12:57:15 -0700 (PDT), Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > On 3 Apr, 18:17, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >> On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 06:48:58 -0700 (PDT), Doug Mentohl wrote:

    >> do you have any information as to what software methodology was used ..

    >> I don't know anything about the project ..

    > Well then **** off out of my thread, you ignorant piece of rat turd ..

    Yet you have no knowledge either. Guess you should **** off out of your
    own thread.

+ Reply to Thread