On China's Web, Microsoft just another contender

,----[ Quote ]
| While China is considered to be one of the world's most promising Internet
| markets, Microsoft Corp. has struggled to establish a strong position in the
| region as it deals with both internal and external pressures.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D0D81568BD3%7D

The company Microsoft is after has just distanced itself from Yahoo (and
Microsoft, by association) and Microsoft now refuses to raise the offer. Links
below.

Intriguing remarks by antitrust officials

,----[ Quote ]
| With the tension over Microsoft's unrequited bid for Yahoo quietly building
| last week, there were several interesting developments and comments in the
| world of antitrust regulation. Consider this a very early pre-race analysis
| of an upcoming event in the Microsoft-Yahoo acquisition Olympics: The
| 400-meter regulatory hurdles.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ownload31.html

Details about an aggressive (yet quieted down) proxy war below.

Related:

China Law Could Impede Microsoft Deal for Yahoo

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft’s hostile-takeover attempt against Yahoo may encounter an
| unexpected hurdle in August after a Chinese antimonopoly law takes effect
| that will extend the nation’s economic influence far beyond its borders.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/28/te...in&oref=slogin

What’s Yahoo worth to Microsoft without Alibaba?

,----[ Quote ]
| One of Yahoo’s best arguments for getting Microsoft to raise its offer to
| acquire the company–the portal’s stake in Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba–is
| in jeopardy courtesy of antitrust regulations in China.
|
| The New York Times reported Friday that a Chinese monopoly law that goes into
| effect in August could likely throw a roadblock in front of Microsoft’s bid
| for Yahoo.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8320

Has Microsoft secretly lined up new Yahoo board?

| If closed-door negotiations are going on, Yahoo is acting strangely by taking
| steps to make itself unpalatable to Microsoft. Yahoo not only signed on to
| support OpenSocial, but to lead a consortium to promote it. OpenSocial is a
| rival data portability standard that Microsoft does not support but Google
| does. On the surface, that seems like no big deal, but Google aims to kill
| Microsoft's Office cash cow through its online office and collaboration apps.
| The ability for users to easily sort through their social networks to find
| contacts from Gmail (and now, Yahoo Mail) is key to this effort. * * *
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/26412

Yahoo Battling 7 Shareholder Suits

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo Inc. is facing seven shareholder lawsuits alleging the slumping
| Internet pioneer bungled its response to Microsoft Corp.'s unsolicited
| takeover bid. *
`----

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g...PXTmgD8V2VAU03

Yahoo sued by Chinese dissidents again

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo faces another lawsuit over its actions in China. Several Chinese men
| are suing the company and its Hong Kong subsidiary claiming they were harmed
| because of Yahoo's cooperation with the Chinese government. *
`----

Yahoo says Microsoft's bid is distracting workforce

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo stated the obvious in its annual report on Wednesday by saying
| Microsoft's bid to buy the company is distracting executives and employees.
`----

Yahoo Sued for Spurning Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Two Detroit pension funds have sued Yahoo Inc. and its board of directors,
| saying they breached their duties to shareholders in trying to thwart a
| takeover by Microsoft Corp. *
`----

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...FjxngD8UVK7J80

Microsoft's IBM Moment

,----[ Quote ]
| News Commentary: Microsoft can only lose if it enters into a proxy fight
| against Yahoo.
|
| Supposedly, Microsoft is ready to make a hardball maneuver to replace Yahoo's
| board of directors. A proxy fight would be a highly aggressive move from a
| company that for years sought to remake its tarnished public image. Antitrust
| cases on two continents portrayed Microsoft as a bully, which is a label a
| Yahoo hostile takeover may just revive. * *
`----

A Yahoo Proxy Contest: How Good Are Microsoft’s Chances?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft refuses to boost its Yahoo bid, valued at $31 a share a few weeks
| ago. It refuses so thoroughly, in fact, that the Redmond, Wash., software
| giant may be willing to wage a proxy battle to oust Yahoo’s board, according
| to this report. (To do that, Microsoft must nominate a new slate of directors
| for Yahoo within the next three weeks). * *
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2008/02/1.../?mod=yahoo_hs

Microsoft Usually Doesn’t Do This Sort of Thing. Except It Does. All The Time.

,----[ Quote ]
| When Microsoft proposed its $31 a share takeover of Yahoo, the deal’s rich
| 61% one-day premium seemed a necessary part of the audacious bid: at a price
| like that, who could refuse? *
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2008/02/1.../?mod=yahoo_hs

How Yahoo went from Web star to Microsoft prey

,----[ Quote ]
| A desperate, expensive bid to beat Google; turf wars among divisions
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&siteid=yhoof
http://tinyurl.com/34uso2

Microsoft to Authorize Proxy Fight at Yahoo

,----[ Quote ]
| In an escalation of its fight for Yahoo, Microsoft will authorize a proxy
| fight at the Internet company this week, people briefed on the matter told
| DealBook. Unless Yahoo quickly reverses course and enters into talks,
| Microsoft would then seek to nominate a slate of directors to Yahoo’s board
| by March 13, the final deadline for nominations, and pursue a lengthy
| campaign to oust the board. * *
`----

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/20.../index.html?hp

Why Microsoft Should Fret

,----[ Quote ]
| But what if at stake in the battle isn't just Microsoft's position in selling
| ads, but the very survival of its core software business? Microsoft would
| never admit that so much is on the line. *
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1202...oo_hs&ru=yahoo

Microsoft to take case to Yahoo shareholders: report

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&siteid=yhoof
http://tinyurl.com/3dpl6n

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is threatening to launch a boardroom coup at Yahoo! within six
| * * * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| weeks if the internet search engine fails to accept its $45 billion (£23
| billion) hostile takeover proposal or start serious merger talks, The Times
| has learned.
`----

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...MC-Bltn=LOXCF1

Options Before Microsoft: Upping Bid; Tender Offer; Hostile Takeover; Pressure
Tactics

,----[ Quote ]
| Hostile board overthrow: This would be the most contentious, and Microsoft
| has indicated its willingness to go through with this if need be: it could
| seek to oust Yahoo's board at its next election; it would have until March 13
| to nominate a new slate of directors. Yahoo has taken "poison pill"
| provisions, and Microsoft have to oust the board to get past these
| provisions. * *
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/paidcontent/080...1_id.html?.v=1

Microsoft Replies To Yahoo Rejection

,----[ Quote ]
| The response to Yahoo's "no thanks" to a $44.6 billion acquisition held the
| not-so-subtle threat of a more aggressive takeover action by Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| "The Yahoo response does not change our belief in the strategic and financial
| merits of our proposal. As we have said previously, Microsoft reserves the
| right to pursue all necessary steps to ensure that Yahoo!’s shareholders are
| provided with the opportunity to realize the value inherent in our proposal,"
| Microsoft said in their statement. * *
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...ahoo-rejection

Microsoft rejects Yahoo! rejection