It's OFFICIAL. OOXML wins ISO approval. - Linux

This is a discussion on It's OFFICIAL. OOXML wins ISO approval. - Linux ; http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200..._iso_approved/ Official: OOXML approved as international standard By Kelly Fiveash ? More by this author 2 Apr 2008 10:19 Microsoft slips into robe, smokes fat cigar The International Standardisation Organisation (ISO) finally posted a press release today officially confirming what ...

  1. It's OFFICIAL. OOXML wins ISO approval.

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200..._iso_approved/

    Official: OOXML approved as international standard
    By Kelly Fiveash ? More by this author
    2 Apr 2008 10:19
    Microsoft slips into robe, smokes fat cigar

    The International Standardisation Organisation (ISO) finally posted a press
    release today officially confirming what was already widely known, that
    Microsoft bagged 75 per cent of the votes, enough to see its Office 2007
    file format given the thumbs-up.

    The decision follows February's ballot resolution meeting in Geneva, where
    delegates from 87 national bodies were given the opportunity to review
    comments and change their stance after voting to reject OOXML last autumn.
    It will come as a massive blow to advocates of ISO-approved ODF.

  2. Re: It's OFFICIAL. OOXML wins ISO approval.

    Jamie Winekopf wrote:

    > http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200..._iso_approved/
    >

    > Official: OOXML approved as international standard
    > By Kelly Fiveash ? More by this author
    > 2 Apr 2008 10:19
    > Microsoft slips into robe, smokes fat cigar
    >
    > The International Standardisation Organisation (ISO) finally posted a
    > press release today officially confirming what was already widely known,
    > that Microsoft bagged 75 per cent of the votes, enough to see its Office
    > 2007 file format given the thumbs-up.
    >
    > The decision follows February's ballot resolution meeting in Geneva, where
    > delegates from 87 national bodies were given the opportunity to review
    > comments and change their stance after voting to reject OOXML last autumn.
    > It will come as a massive blow to advocates of ISO-approved ODF.

    So if micoshaft is proven to have taken the vote by corruption,
    do we get to throw micoshaft executives to some courts in the EU
    and get the corruption led standard thrown out?

    There is no point in having 'dual standards'.

  3. Re: It's OFFICIAL. OOXML wins ISO approval.

    "7" wrote in message
    news:juQIj.970$yD2.620@text.news.virginmedia.com.. .
    > Jamie Winekopf wrote:
    >

    >> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200..._iso_approved/
    >>

    >> Official: OOXML approved as international standard
    >> By Kelly Fiveash ? More by this author
    >> 2 Apr 2008 10:19
    >> Microsoft slips into robe, smokes fat cigar
    >>
    >> The International Standardisation Organisation (ISO) finally posted a
    >> press release today officially confirming what was already widely known,
    >> that Microsoft bagged 75 per cent of the votes, enough to see its Office
    >> 2007 file format given the thumbs-up.
    >>
    >> The decision follows February's ballot resolution meeting in Geneva,
    >> where
    >> delegates from 87 national bodies were given the opportunity to review
    >> comments and change their stance after voting to reject OOXML last
    >> autumn.
    >> It will come as a massive blow to advocates of ISO-approved ODF.

    > So if micoshaft is proven to have taken the vote by corruption,
    > do we get to throw micoshaft executives to some courts in the EU
    > and get the corruption led standard thrown out?

    > There is no point in having 'dual standards'.

    That must be why cell phones have only one standard. GSM, CDMA, TDMA and
    EV-DO.

    That must explain why there's only one standard for fuel for car engines.
    Regular, super-unleaded and diesel.

    That must explain why there's only one standard for recordable DVD drives.
    DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD+R, DVD+RW

    That must explain why there's only one standard for PC video cards. PCI, PCI
    Express, AGP, PCI Express 2.0 x16

    That must explain why there's only one standard for PC memory. DIMM, SDRAM,
    184-pin DDR, 240-pin DDR2, 240-pin DDR3, etc.

    You're an idiot Joseph Michael (aka - "7"). Go play with your little toy
    robots.

  4. Re: It's OFFICIAL. OOXML wins ISO approval.

    In article <47f3e517$0$26028$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    "Ezekiel" wrote:

    > > There is no point in having 'dual standards'.

    > That must be why cell phones have only one standard. GSM, CDMA, TDMA and
    > EV-DO.
    >
    > That must explain why there's only one standard for fuel for car engines.
    > Regular, super-unleaded and diesel.
    >
    > That must explain why there's only one standard for recordable DVD drives.
    > DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD+R, DVD+RW
    >
    > That must explain why there's only one standard for PC video cards. PCI, PCI
    > Express, AGP, PCI Express 2.0 x16
    >
    > That must explain why there's only one standard for PC memory. DIMM, SDRAM,
    > 184-pin DDR, 240-pin DDR2, 240-pin DDR3, etc.

    And only one standard for computer languages (C, C++, LISP, etc.).

    And only one standard for graphics formats (PNG, JPEG, etc).

    And only one standard for audio formats (AAC, MP3, etc).

    And let's not even get started on directory services, email access, the
    and various protocols available at each level of the ISO 7 layer model.

    It's hard to find an area that does NOT have multiple standards.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: It's OFFICIAL. OOXML wins ISO approval.

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:46:08 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "7" wrote in message
    > news:juQIj.970$yD2.620@text.news.virginmedia.com.. .
    >> Jamie Winekopf wrote:
    >>

    >>> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200..._iso_approved/
    >>>

    >>> Official: OOXML approved as international standard By Kelly Fiveash ?
    >>> More by this author 2 Apr 2008 10:19
    >>> Microsoft slips into robe, smokes fat cigar
    >>>
    >>> The International Standardisation Organisation (ISO) finally posted a
    >>> press release today officially confirming what was already widely
    >>> known, that Microsoft bagged 75 per cent of the votes, enough to see
    >>> its Office 2007 file format given the thumbs-up.
    >>>
    >>> The decision follows February's ballot resolution meeting in Geneva,
    >>> where
    >>> delegates from 87 national bodies were given the opportunity to review
    >>> comments and change their stance after voting to reject OOXML last
    >>> autumn.
    >>> It will come as a massive blow to advocates of ISO-approved ODF.

    >> So if micoshaft is proven to have taken the vote by corruption, do we
    >> get to throw micoshaft executives to some courts in the EU and get the
    >> corruption led standard thrown out?

    >> There is no point in having 'dual standards'.

    > That must be why cell phones have only one standard. GSM, CDMA, TDMA and
    > EV-DO.

    EV-DO is part of the CDMA2000 standard. TDMA is a channel access method
    used by GSM.

    Should there be two cellular standards? I don't believe so, but I'm stuck
    with it as there are two CDMA2000 providers in Canada and only one GSM
    provider. I'd rather have GSM as I can move the SIM card between handsets
    as desired. I cannot do the same with a CDMA phone.

    > That must explain why there's only one standard for fuel for car
    > engines. Regular, super-unleaded and diesel.

    regular and super-unleaded are both unleaded fuels but with different
    octane ratings targetted at passenger vehicles.

    diesel is used in heavy machinery and some passenger vehicles.

    These aren't competing standards. Of course, you can't mix them either.

    > That must explain why there's only one standard for recordable DVD
    > drives. DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD+R, DVD+RW

    Competing standards which are so close to each other that you buy drives
    now that support all of them. It would seem to me that the '-' have won
    and '+' is there for compatibility, but that's just the way I see it.

    > That must explain why there's only one standard for PC video cards. PCI,
    > PCI Express, AGP, PCI Express 2.0 x16

    Evolving standards for increased performance. And you forgot ISA, MCA and
    VLB.

    > That must explain why there's only one standard for PC memory. DIMM,
    > SDRAM, 184-pin DDR, 240-pin DDR2, 240-pin DDR3, etc.

    Again, evolving standards for increased performance.

    > You're an idiot Joseph Michael (aka - "7"). Go play with your little toy
    > robots.

    And you have made a piss-poor argument.

    Evolving or targeted "standards" are not the same as competing standards.

  6. Re: It's OFFICIAL. OOXML wins ISO approval.

    Jamie Winekopf wrote:

    > http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200..._iso_approved/
    >

    > Official: OOXML approved as international standard
    > By Kelly Fiveash ? More by this author
    > 2 Apr 2008 10:19
    > Microsoft slips into robe, smokes fat cigar
    >
    > The International Standardisation Organisation (ISO) finally posted a press
    > release today officially confirming what was already widely known, that
    > Microsoft bagged 75 per cent of the votes, enough to see its Office 2007
    > file format given the thumbs-up.
    >
    > The decision follows February's ballot resolution meeting in Geneva, where
    > delegates from 87 national bodies were given the opportunity to review
    > comments and change their stance after voting to reject OOXML last autumn.
    > It will come as a massive blow to advocates of ISO-approved ODF.

    Don't smoke that big cigar before the fat lady sings!

    There's still two months to go, before the "standard" is actually
    approved. Two more months for complains and it's very likely that at
    least Norway, China and a couple of other countries (well half of the
    planet in fact) will complain.

    If OOXML is actually approved as a ISO standard, than please explain,
    why Albert van Zomeren (hAl), - the #1 OOXML shill - yesterday freaked
    out again in the Webwereld discussion (currently using the nym "Baseline").

    If OOXM actually was approved, Appie would have a well deserved vacation
    somewhere in the Caribbean now. In stead he's still modding down and
    attacking "Linux trash" and other "Microsoft Bashers".

    Exactly the same as we see it in COLA.

    Even Appie is aware of the fact, that there are still two months to go!

    So put back that Havana in it's box....

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  7. Re: It's OFFICIAL. OOXML wins ISO approval.

    alt writes:

    > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:46:08 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "7" wrote in message
    >> news:juQIj.970$yD2.620@text.news.virginmedia.com.. .

    >>> So if micoshaft is proven to have taken the vote by corruption, do we
    >>> get to throw micoshaft executives to some courts in the EU and get the
    >>> corruption led standard thrown out?

    >>> There is no point in having 'dual standards'.

    >> That must be why cell phones have only one standard. GSM, CDMA, TDMA and
    >> EV-DO.
    >>

    > EV-DO is part of the CDMA2000 standard. TDMA is a channel access method
    > used by GSM.
    >
    > Should there be two cellular standards? I don't believe so, but I'm stuck
    > with it as there are two CDMA2000 providers in Canada and only one GSM
    > provider. I'd rather have GSM as I can move the SIM card between handsets
    > as desired. I cannot do the same with a CDMA phone.
    >
    >> That must explain why there's only one standard for fuel for car
    >> engines. Regular, super-unleaded and diesel.

    > regular and super-unleaded are both unleaded fuels but with different
    > octane ratings targetted at passenger vehicles.
    >
    > diesel is used in heavy machinery and some passenger vehicles.
    >
    > These aren't competing standards. Of course, you can't mix them either.

    No you moron. You choose which you will use when you design an engine. I
    mean. Really. How stupid are you in your anti MS hatred?

  8. Re: It's OFFICIAL. OOXML wins ISO approval.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7

    wrote
    on Wed, 02 Apr 2008 18:44:31 GMT
    :
    > Jamie Winekopf wrote:
    >

    >> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200..._iso_approved/
    >>

    >> Official: OOXML approved as international standard
    >> By Kelly Fiveash ? More by this author
    >> 2 Apr 2008 10:19
    >> Microsoft slips into robe, smokes fat cigar
    >>
    >> The International Standardisation Organisation (ISO) finally posted a
    >> press release today officially confirming what was already widely known,
    >> that Microsoft bagged 75 per cent of the votes, enough to see its Office
    >> 2007 file format given the thumbs-up.
    >>
    >> The decision follows February's ballot resolution meeting in Geneva, where
    >> delegates from 87 national bodies were given the opportunity to review
    >> comments and change their stance after voting to reject OOXML last autumn.
    >> It will come as a massive blow to advocates of ISO-approved ODF.

    > So if micoshaft is proven to have taken the vote by corruption,
    > do we get to throw micoshaft executives to some courts in the EU
    > and get the corruption led standard thrown out?
    >
    > There is no point in having 'dual standards'.

    You mean like HTML, RTF, PDF, and to some extent SVG?
    Doesn't work that way; I suspect we'll have dual standards
    for a very very long time.

    In any event, OOXML is now approved, and we can write to
    it, with any luck. Doesn't mean Microsoft will support
    it 100% (especially since they don't support HTML, a much
    older standard, 100%).

    The usual games, in other words.

    As for throwing the bums out ... I wonder. Most likely,
    no, especially since jurisdiction is somewhere in
    Washington (if it's state law), or the 9th Federal district
    court (which includes CA, OR, WA, AZ, MT, and a number of
    other states), or some other federal court -- certainly
    not a European court unless I miss my guess.

    Of course Europe might try to try them in absentia.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #12995733:
    bool f(bool g, bool h) { if(g) h = true; else h = false; return h;}