[News][Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows - Linux

This is a discussion on [News][Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows - Linux ; NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows A CARELESS mistake by Microsoft programmers has revealed that special access codes prepared by the US National Security Agency have been secretly built into Windows. The NSA access system is built into every ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

  1. [News][Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    A CARELESS mistake by Microsoft programmers has revealed that special
    access codes prepared by the US National Security Agency have been
    secretly built into Windows. The NSA access system is built into every
    version of the Windows operating system now in use, except early releases
    of Windows 95 (and its predecessors).

    http://www.nationalexpositor.com/News/1128.html

    "For non-American IT managers relying on Windows NT to operate highly
    secure data centres, this find is worrying", he added. "The US government
    is currently making it as difficult as possible for "strong" crypto to be
    used outside of the US. That they have also installed a cryptographic
    back-door in the world's most abundant operating system should send a
    strong message to foreign IT managers".

    "How is an IT manager to feel when they learn that in every copy of
    Windows sold, Microsoft has a 'back door' for NSA - making it orders of
    magnitude easier for the US government to access your computer?" he
    asked.

  2. Re: [News][Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:19:24 GMT, Robin T Cox
    wrote:

    ...that 10-years old crap, AGAIN? Typical, some might say, Linux
    deluded supporters live a good decade behind present time, no wonder
    they still re-hash unfounded 10-years old junk.

  3. Re: [News][Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 12:58:29 +0200, OK wrote:

    > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:19:24 GMT, Robin T Cox wrote:
    >
    > ..that 10-years old crap, AGAIN? Typical, some might say, Linux deluded
    > supporters live a good decade behind present time, no wonder they still
    > re-hash unfounded 10-years old junk.

    Proving, I suppose, that the National Expositor are just a bunch of
    deluded Linux supporters etc.

    Ah well, I guess that if YOU say it isn't true we'd all better believe
    you. Do tell us why?

  4. Re: [News][Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:19:24 +0000, Robin T Cox wrote:

    > NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows
    >

    > A CARELESS mistake by Microsoft programmers has revealed that special
    > access codes prepared by the US National Security Agency have been
    > secretly built into Windows. The NSA access system is built into every
    > version of the Windows operating system now in use, except early releases
    > of Windows 95 (and its predecessors).

    > http://www.nationalexpositor.com/News/1128.html
    >

    > "For non-American IT managers relying on Windows NT to operate highly
    > secure data centres, this find is worrying", he added. "The US government
    > is currently making it as difficult as possible for "strong" crypto to be
    > used outside of the US. That they have also installed a cryptographic
    > back-door in the world's most abundant operating system should send a
    > strong message to foreign IT managers".
    >
    > "How is an IT manager to feel when they learn that in every copy of
    > Windows sold, Microsoft has a 'back door' for NSA - making it orders of
    > magnitude easier for the US government to access your computer?" he asked.

    It seems Microsoft isn't having a happy day at all. Apparently the
    International Space Station has been hacked into as they are still using
    Windows 3.1!
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/vdunet/2008...s-6315470.html
    http://tinyurl.com/25vyny

    Time to change to an open source system I feel.

    --
    Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light

  5. Re: [News][Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    ____/ Robin T Cox on Wednesday 02 April 2008 11:19 : \____

    > NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows
    >

    > A CARELESS mistake by Microsoft programmers has revealed that special
    > access codes prepared by the US National Security Agency have been
    > secretly built into Windows. The NSA access system is built into every
    > version of the Windows operating system now in use, except early releases
    > of Windows 95 (and its predecessors).
    >

    > http://www.nationalexpositor.com/News/1128.html
    >

    > "For non-American IT managers relying on Windows NT to operate highly
    > secure data centres, this find is worrying", he added. "The US government
    > is currently making it as difficult as possible for "strong" crypto to be
    > used outside of the US. That they have also installed a cryptographic
    > back-door in the world's most abundant operating system should send a
    > strong message to foreign IT managers".
    >
    > "How is an IT manager to feel when they learn that in every copy of
    > Windows sold, Microsoft has a 'back door' for NSA - making it orders of
    > magnitude easier for the US government to access your computer?" he
    > asked.

    You're verging the forbidden territories. This is a tabooed area. If you speak
    about it, some anonymous prick will attack. It's the same with the Gates
    Fundation [sic], based on what people from various forums say, including
    Slashdot.

    [I'm reusing a recent post below]

    Some Linux distributions are affected similarly. They are said to have back
    doors in *standard protocols* [1,2,3,4] and these are hard to get by
    unless you are a security professional (I'm not). What about hardware-based
    hacks [5] (in which case "Intel" might be just an abbreviation)? Remember that
    they just need to sniff packets and then decrypt successfully in order to gain
    remote access.

    Those whose role is to deny these things will of course attack the messenger,
    but I haven't seen Bruce S getting attacked just yet.

    ___
    [1] Did NSA Put a Secret Backdoor in New Encryption Standard?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Which is why you should worry about a new random-number standard that
    | includes an algorithm that is slow, badly designed and just might contain a
    | backdoor for the National Security Agency. *
    `----

    http://www.wired.com/politics/securi...tymatters_1115

    [2] NSA Backdoors in Crypto AG Ciphering Machines

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We don't know the truth here, but the article lays out the evidence pretty
    | well.
    |
    | See this essay of mine on how the NSA might have been able to read Iranian
    | encrypted traffic.
    `----

    http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...ckdoors_i.html

    [3] Dual_EC_DRBG Added to Windows Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has added the random-number generator Dual_EC-DRBG to Windows
    | Vista, as part of SP1. Yes, this is the same RNG that could have an NSA
    | backdoor. *
    |
    | It's not enabled by default, and my advice is to never enable it. Ever.
    `----

    http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...c_drbg_ad.html

    [4] Duh! Windows Encryption Hacked Via Random Number Generator

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | GeneralMount Carmel, Haifa – A group of researchers headed by Dr. Benny
    | Pinkas from the Department of Computer Science at the University of Haifa
    | succeeded in finding a security vulnerability in Microsoft's "Windows 2000"
    | operating system. The significance of the loophole: emails, passwords, credit
    | card numbers, if they were typed into the computer, and actually all
    | correspondence that emanated from a computer using "Windows 2000" is
    | susceptible to tracking. "This is not a theoretical discovery. Anyone who
    | exploits this security loophole can definitely access this information on
    | other computers," remarked Dr. Pinkas. * * * *
    |
    | Editors Note: *I believe this "loophole" is part of the Patriot Act, it is
    | designed for foreign governments. *Seriously, if you care about security,
    | privacy, data, trojans, spyware, etc., one does not run Windows, you run
    | Linux. *
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/g...mber-generator

    [5] Chip Design Flaw Could Subvert Encryption

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://www.crm-daily.com/story.xhtml...d=11200BH5USIO

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    The Intel-Dell-MS oligopoly/treo can be weakened by competition (Freedom)

  6. Re: [News][Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    "Robin T Cox" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 12:58:29 +0200, OK wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:19:24 GMT, Robin T Cox wrote:
    >>
    >> ..that 10-years old crap, AGAIN? Typical, some might say, Linux deluded
    >> supporters live a good decade behind present time, no wonder they still
    >> re-hash unfounded 10-years old junk.

    > Proving, I suppose, that the National Expositor are just a bunch of
    > deluded Linux supporters etc.
    >
    > Ah well, I guess that if YOU say it isn't true we'd all better believe
    > you. Do tell us why?

    Do YOU consider this group to be reliable?

    With ads for things like "Secrets of Forbidden Wealth", "The Boston Gun
    Bible" and a host of other the-government-is-in-your-pants whack job pubs,
    this outfit is just another haven for the nut cases who can't cope without
    having some vague conspiracy to blame for anything that goes wrong.

  7. Re: [News][Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    "Bernadette" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.04.02.11.06.05.543163@nomail.net...

    > Time to change to an open source system I feel.

    Either that or be more careful about news released on April 1st.

  8. Re: [News][Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 09:30:02 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Bernadette" wrote in message
    > newsan.2008.04.02.11.06.05.543163@nomail.net...
    >>
    >> Time to change to an open source system I feel.
    >>

    > Either that or be more careful about news released on April 1st.

    Or both perhaps?
    --
    Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light

  9. Re: [News][Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    OK wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:19:24 GMT, Robin T Cox
    > wrote:
    >
    > ..that 10-years old crap, AGAIN? Typical, some might say, Linux
    > deluded supporters live a good decade behind present time, no wonder
    > they still re-hash unfounded 10-years old junk.

    Rex Ballard, cola's uber-advocate, 10/13/07:

    "In fact, for a few years, the NSA was concerned because Linux and Unix were
    "Too Secure", preventing Intelligence and Law Enforcement agencies from
    monitoring criminal activities even with a court order. Special
    accomodations had to be created to provide compliance with such court
    orders."

  10. Re: [News][Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 13:57:22 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > You're verging the forbidden territories. This is a tabooed area. If you speak
    > about it, some anonymous prick will attack. It's the same with the Gates
    > Fundation [sic], based on what people from various forums say, including
    > Slashdot.

    Your flux capacitor is misfiring again Roy Schestowitz.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  11. Re: [News][Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    This is old news, though true.

    Relying on Windows for real security (like if you have something very
    serious to hide) is just insane.

  12. Re: [Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquir...ft-build-vista

    Excerpt:

    Microsoft is not the only one to tap the spooks. Apple, with its Mac
    OSX operating system, and Novell with its SUSE Linux also asked the
    NSA what it thought of their products. The NSA is quite good at
    finding weapons of mass destruction that are not there.

    Excerpt:

    For the first time, the giant software maker is acknowledging the help
    of the secretive agency, better known for eavesdropping on foreign
    officials and, more recently, U.S. citizens as part of the Bush
    administration's effort to combat terrorism. The agency said it has
    helped in the development of the security of Microsoft's new operating
    system -- the brains of a computer -- to protect it from worms, Trojan
    horses and other insidious computer attackers.

  13. Re: [News][Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ignoramus25047

    wrote
    on Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:54:12 -0500
    :
    > This is old news, though true.
    >
    > Relying on Windows for real security (like if you have something very
    > serious to hide) is just insane.

    Then don't. NAT firewalls, malware checkers, and
    procedural implementations such as "don't open suspicious
    email" will reduce one's exposure, though not totally
    eliminate it.

    Thus does the infrastructure compensate for Window's deficiencies.

    I would admittedly wish otherwise.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Q: "Why is my computer doing that?"
    A: "Don't do that and you'll be fine."

  14. Re: [Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:15:50 -0700 (PDT), Darth Chaos wrote:

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquir...ft-build-vista
    >
    > Excerpt:
    >
    > Microsoft is not the only one to tap the spooks. Apple, with its Mac
    > OSX operating system, and Novell with its SUSE Linux also asked the
    > NSA what it thought of their products. The NSA is quite good at
    > finding weapons of mass destruction that are not there.
    >
    > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...010801352.html
    >
    > Excerpt:
    >
    > For the first time, the giant software maker is acknowledging the help
    > of the secretive agency, better known for eavesdropping on foreign
    > officials and, more recently, U.S. citizens as part of the Bush
    > administration's effort to combat terrorism. The agency said it has
    > helped in the development of the security of Microsoft's new operating
    > system -- the brains of a computer -- to protect it from worms, Trojan
    > horses and other insidious computer attackers.

    Yet you tought the NSA developed SELinux as a great thing.

    Hypocrite.

  15. Re: [Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 09:15:50 -0700, Darth Chaos wrote:

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquir...09/government-

    spooks-helped-microsoft-build-vista

    > Excerpt:
    >
    > Microsoft is not the only one to tap the spooks. Apple, with its Mac OSX
    > operating system, and Novell with its SUSE Linux also asked the NSA what
    > it thought of their products. The NSA is quite good at finding weapons
    > of mass destruction that are not there.
    >
    > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...le/2007/01/08/

    AR2007010801352.html

    > Excerpt:
    >
    > For the first time, the giant software maker is acknowledging the help
    > of the secretive agency, better known for eavesdropping on foreign
    > officials and, more recently, U.S. citizens as part of the Bush
    > administration's effort to combat terrorism. The agency said it has
    > helped in the development of the security of Microsoft's new operating
    > system -- the brains of a computer -- to protect it from worms, Trojan
    > horses and other insidious computer attackers.

    LOL that's brilliant! With friends like the NSA who needs enemies?
    Obviously the NSA are as incompetent as the rest of the Bush
    administration.

    However, it's nice to know that MS are so closely tied into them.

  16. Re: [Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 17:25:38 GMT, Robin T Cox wrote:

    > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 09:15:50 -0700, Darth Chaos wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquir...09/government-

    > spooks-helped-microsoft-build-vista
    >>
    >> Excerpt:
    >>
    >> Microsoft is not the only one to tap the spooks. Apple, with its Mac OSX
    >> operating system, and Novell with its SUSE Linux also asked the NSA what
    >> it thought of their products. The NSA is quite good at finding weapons
    >> of mass destruction that are not there.
    >>
    >> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...le/2007/01/08/

    > AR2007010801352.html
    >>
    >> Excerpt:
    >>
    >> For the first time, the giant software maker is acknowledging the help
    >> of the secretive agency, better known for eavesdropping on foreign
    >> officials and, more recently, U.S. citizens as part of the Bush
    >> administration's effort to combat terrorism. The agency said it has
    >> helped in the development of the security of Microsoft's new operating
    >> system -- the brains of a computer -- to protect it from worms, Trojan
    >> horses and other insidious computer attackers.

    > LOL that's brilliant! With friends like the NSA who needs enemies?
    > Obviously the NSA are as incompetent as the rest of the Bush
    > administration.
    >
    > However, it's nice to know that MS are so closely tied into them.

    Ever hear of SELinux?

    http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/info/faq.cfm#I1

    I thought not..............

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  17. Re: [Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:15:50 -0700 (PDT), Darth Chaos wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...010801352.html
    >>
    >> For the first time, the giant software maker is acknowledging the help
    >> of the secretive agency, better known for eavesdropping on foreign
    >> officials and, more recently, U.S. citizens as part of the Bush
    >> administration's effort to combat terrorism. The agency said it has
    >> helped in the development of the security of Microsoft's new operating
    >> system -- the brains of a computer -- to protect it from worms, Trojan
    >> horses and other insidious computer attackers.

    > Yet you tought the NSA developed SELinux as a great thing.
    >
    > Hypocrite.

    Since when is Windows open-source?

    Oh, I forgot, you hate open-source and its proponents.

    The link above:

    Microsoft said this is not the first time it has sought help from the
    NSA. For about four years, Microsoft has tapped the spy agency for
    security expertise in reviewing its operating systems, including the
    Windows XP consumer version and the Windows Server 2003 for corporate
    customers.

    This is a good thing. But how will we know there are no back-doors? We
    can't vet the code (without a non-disclosure agreement). And, when you
    read this:

    "When you get into an environment where a Microsoft product is used
    in a battlefield situation or a government situation where if a
    system is compromised, identities could be found out," and it could
    be a matter of life and death, Armstrong said.

    You wonder if there's a belief that the end justifies the means.

    --
    I wish I wasn't ... There's nothing good that comes out of that. You get more
    visibility as a result of it.

  18. Re: [Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote in

    No comments on my post about Windows users losing market share over the
    last 3 years and Linux use doubling ?

    I didn't think so.

  19. Re: [Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    DanS wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote in
    >
    > No comments on my post about Windows users losing market share over
    > the last 3 years and Linux use doubling ?
    >
    > I didn't think so.

    Here's a comment: Bull****e!

    Appropriate don't you think?

  20. Re: [Rival]NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

    "chrisv" wrote in news:47f402cd$0$9881$c3e8da3
    @news.astraweb.com:

    > DanS wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote in
    >>
    >> No comments on my post about Windows users losing market share over
    >> the last 3 years and Linux use doubling ?
    >>
    >> I didn't think so.

    > Here's a comment: Bull****e!
    >
    > Appropriate don't you think?

    No I don't. We're not talking just the Vista share....we are talking all
    Windows.

    Here....the trend graph from the same site...

    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...&qpdt=1&qpct=4
    &qptimeframe=M&qpsp=87&qpnp=24#

    The trend graph doesn't go back as far as individual months, but the trend
    is still there, and nearly just as big anyway.

    So there you go. This is the same site that is relied on for showing
    declining Linux numbers and taken as gospel by some, so there is no way you
    can argue it being correct for Linux but mistaken for Windows.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast