[News] DRM Leads to Unrest, Claimed to be Breaking Canadian Law - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] DRM Leads to Unrest, Claimed to be Breaking Canadian Law - Linux ; Online music distributors: song licensing a painful and expensive process ,----[ Quote ] | At a breakout session for the Future of Music Policy Summit in DC this week, | online music distributors complained that licensing music for digital retail ...

  1. [News] DRM Leads to Unrest, Claimed to be Breaking Canadian Law

    Online music distributors: song licensing a painful and expensive process

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At a breakout session for the Future of Music Policy Summit in DC this week,
    | online music distributors complained that licensing music for digital retail
    | is still far too complicated, and blamed this complication for the paucity of
    | online distribution outside of the US market.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...tributors.html
    http://tinyurl.com/2g5vy7

    Study Says DRM Violates Canadian Privacy Law

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The study indicated that DRM is being used to collect, use and disclose
    | consumers' personal information for secondary purposes.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html

    Burn Once, DRM After DVDs Coming

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The resultant movies will play in any approved player that allows playback of
    | CSS "protected" content..
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I smell a rootkit. Don't you? I wonder how they think they're going to
    | perpetrate this in Linux?
    `----

    http://technocrat.net/d/2007/9/20/27222

    Related:

    Paramount: DRM may not (at least right now) please consumers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Interoperability (presents) an impediment to digital distribution," he said
    | during remarks at the Progress and Freedom Foundation's Aspen Summit. "I'm
    | pretty confident that in the end solutions will be found. It's just a
    | question of how much heat and pressure we feel before we see the light." *
    `----

    http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-976...=2547-1_3-0-20

    World's largest music retailer ditches DRM, not censorship

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | DRM isn't yet dead in the music business, but it has a nasty, hacking cough.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ensorship.html

    Music DRM in critical condition: Universal tests DRM free music sales

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Universal Music Group has announced that the company is going to test selling
    | DRM-free music to consumers in order to assess the market.
    `----

    EMI has DRM free sales boom

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Since EMI ditched the DRM on iTunes it has seen sales of Pink Floyd's Dark
    | Side of the Moon increase by between 272 and 350 percent.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] DRM Leads to Unrest, Claimed to be Breaking Canadian Law

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Online music distributors: song licensing a painful and expensive process
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| At a breakout session for the Future of Music Policy Summit in DC this week,
    >| online music distributors complained that licensing music for digital retail
    >| is still far too complicated, and blamed this complication for the paucity of
    >| online distribution outside of the US market.
    > `----
    >
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...tributors.html
    > http://tinyurl.com/2g5vy7

    Well, the content owners could change this if they wanted to.

    > Study Says DRM Violates Canadian Privacy Law
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The study indicated that DRM is being used to collect, use and disclose
    >| consumers' personal information for secondary purposes.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html

    Ahh, the rights of the individual are starting to emerge in almost all
    countries.

  3. Re: [News] DRM Leads to Unrest, Claimed to be Breaking Canadian Law

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 25 September 2007 22:19 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Online music distributors: song licensing a painful and expensive process
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| At a breakout session for the Future of Music Policy Summit in DC this
    >>| week, online music distributors complained that licensing music for digital
    >>| retail is still far too complicated, and blamed this complication for the
    >>| paucity of online distribution outside of the US market.
    >> `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...tributors.html
    >> http://tinyurl.com/2g5vy7

    > Well, the content owners could change this if they wanted to.
    >

    >> Study Says DRM Violates Canadian Privacy Law
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| The study indicated that DRM is being used to collect, use and disclose
    >>| consumers' personal information for secondary purposes.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html
    >>

    > Ahh, the rights of the individual are starting to emerge in almost all
    > countries.

    I don't think that enough people protest against this because, as the INQ said
    a while ago, media moguls find sneakier ways of secretly embedding DRM (they
    wanted to change target with names too, e.g. 'enablement'). I've been
    associated with the FSF's DRM elimination crew for a while, but I get no real
    response to issues that I raise with those who do not understand technology.
    As Sun's CEO said, people's will only realise it when it's too later and put
    in simple terms --- your entire photo collection (family album) is gone; along
    with other collections that have sentimental value...

    Bruce S and Peter G have also written to explain why DRM will mean a security
    nightmare. It's not about encrypting for the user's security... it's only
    security for the monopolists' cash flow, at the _expense_ of real security.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Oracle: Linux adoption to accelerate
    00:20:03 up 15 days, 22:26, 6 users, load average: 0.90, 0.49, 0.62