[News] [Rival] Microsoft OOXML: Committees and Shenanigans in Poland Broke the Rules, Philippines Suspect Also - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft OOXML: Committees and Shenanigans in Poland Broke the Rules, Philippines Suspect Also - Linux ; Shenanigans Alleged on Road to OOXML Vote ,----[ Quote ] | The events leading up to the ISO's decision on OOXML can best be described as | strange. | | Take the case of KT 182, the Polish technical committee ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft OOXML: Committees and Shenanigans in Poland Broke the Rules, Philippines Suspect Also

    Shenanigans Alleged on Road to OOXML Vote

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The events leading up to the ISO's decision on OOXML can best be described as
    | strange.
    |
    | Take the case of KT 182, the Polish technical committee responsible for the
    | OOXML standardization process, as described on Groklaw: Chairperson Elzbieta
    | Andrukiewicz was instructed that KT 182 should abstain from voting if a
    | consensus was not achieved. Well, it wasn't, and she said the members who
    | were absent could vote by e-mail E-Mail Marketing Software - Free Trial.
    | Click Here. -- but if they didn't vote, she'd take their non-response as a
    | yes.
    |
    | Later, when presenting the results of the ballot resolution, she showed a
    | slide that claimed 98 percent of the OOXML issues had been resolved during
    | the KT 182 meeting.
    |
    | When reminded this wasn't true, and told that the author of the PowerPoint
    | file was Paul Pesch, platform strategy manager at Microsoft Netherlands, she
    | threatened to sue anyone who repeated the assertion that Pesch was the
    | author.
    |
    | That slide had been shown at another meeting, and one of the Brazilian
    | delegates had complained about it.
    `----

    How the Philippines Changed Its OOXML Vote from No to Yes

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Manila Bulletin Online tells us how the Philippines changed its No vote
    | on OOXML to Yes. Once again there is an indication that when no consensus was
    | reached, the chairman decided to make it Yes. That blatantly happened in
    | Norway, and I can't help but want more details about the Philippines.
    `----

    Don't forget. There is a formal large-scale investigation, so nothing is over
    and sealed. Microsoft tries to make journalists forget this.

    Recent:

    Norway asks to suspend its 'Yes' vote on OOXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Some members of the Norwegian committee that participated in the
    | International Organization for Standardization's Office Open XML vote are
    | calling on Norway's Ministry of Trade and Industry to suspend the
    | country's "yes" vote pending an investigation, according to a letter to the
    | ISO from the Norwegian committee's chairman. * *
    `----

    Bill Gates takes the phone to lobby Mexico

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Rumors are running that he also lobbied Denmark, where it is well known that
    | he is a friend of the Prime Minister.
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-50275...o-lobby-mexico

    Poland confirms its approval for OOXML in ISO

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | * * * 24 members voted to approve (7 of them without even knowing that, since
    | * * * no vote was counted as a vote to approve),
    | * * * 13 members voted against approving the standard (a ‘NO’ vote),
    | * * * 4 remaining members decided that Poland should abstain from voting.
    `----

    http://polishlinux.org/poland/poland...-ooxml-in-iso/

    Poland: You don't vote, so you vote in favour of the standard

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-50291...f-the-standard

    Related:

    EU Initiates Investigation Against Microsoft OOXML Push

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But with Steve Ballmer taking over as CEO, there was supposed to be a kinder,
    | gentler Microsoft - one that would play nicely with its competitors. *When
    | antitrust regulators in turn challenged this new Microsoft, it issued not
    | challenges to fight to the end to prove that it had done nothing illegal, but
    | statements promising to "cooperate fully." * *
    |
    | But at the same time, Microsoft is still a tough competitor. *As Microsoft's
    | Director of Corporate Standards Jason Matusow famously warned at his blog
    | last year: *
    |
    | * * Make no mistake; all parties are looking at the full picture to find
    | * * strategies that will result in the outcome they desire. Provided - of
    | * * course - that they do so within the context of the rules that apply to
    | * * the process, this is exactly what one should expect to happen. It is
    | * * going to be a very interesting next few months. * *
    |
    | Indeed, the months that followed proved to be interesting indeed. *Microsoft
    | said that some of its employees became over zealous, most flagrantly in
    | Sweden, where marketing assists were promised to several business partners as
    | incentives to join the national standards committee and vote for OOXM. *
    `----

    http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standa...80208082501776

    EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I hope they think to investigate the smear campaigns that seem to always
    | happen to anyone on the other side from Microsoft. What happened to Peter
    | Quinn was by no means unique. *
    `----

    Corrupt countries were more likely to support the OOXML document format

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Is this just a random coincidence? The median of the CPI index of the above
    | mentioned 70 countries is 3.95. Of the most corrupted half (CPI index less
    | than 3.95) 23 or 77% voted for approval (approval or approval with comments)
    | and 7 or 23% for disapproval; 5 abstained. Of the least corrupted half (CPI
    | index more than 3.95) 13 or 54% voted for approval and 11 or 46% voted for
    | disapproval; 11 abstained - see the table below. * * *
    `----

    http://www.effi.org/blog/kai-2007-09-05.en.html

    Microsoft accused of more OOXML standards fiddling

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | However the 11 new countries are refusing to say how they will vote. These
    | include Cote d'Ivoire, Cyprus, Ecuador, Jamaica, Lebanon, Malta, Pakistan,
    | Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Uruguay and Venezuela. Most people seem to think
    | that these have been put there by Vole to make sure the standard gets pushed
    | through. * *
    `----

    OOXML News From Denmark

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Re: In Denmark, Microsoft has 2 out of 4 votes
    |
    | InzpektorInzpektor 18 Feb 2008, 15:20 BST
    |
    | The Danish delegation for the BRM will consist of:
    |
    | * * * IBM
    | * * * Dansk Standard (the national standards body)
    | * * * Microsoft - Themselves!
    | * * * Microsoft Gold Certified Partner Ciber A/S
    |
    | So, I guess that means that the Danish votes are a tie. (Ofcourse with the
    | national standards body being the joker here :-) )
    |
    | Reference:
    | http://www.ds.dk/3537 (In Danish)
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-41947...sent-australia

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft OOXML: Committees and Shenanigans in Poland Broke the Rules, Philippines Suspect Also

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > Shenanigans Alleged on Road to OOXML Vote

    Would you like some sour grapes to go with your whine?

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft OOXML: Committees and Shenanigans in Poland Broke the Rules, Philippines Suspect Also

    Jamie Winekopf wrote:

    > Would you like some sour grapes to go with your whine?

    Yeah, it's "sour grapes" to show how Micro$haft and accomplices manipulated
    the vote.

    Doesn't your bronze bust of Bill Gate's ass need kissing?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft OOXML: Committees and Shenanigans in Poland Broke the Rules, Philippines Suspect Also

    ____/ RonB on Wednesday 02 April 2008 19:38 : \____

    > Jamie Winekopf wrote:
    >
    >> Would you like some sour grapes to go with your whine?

    > Yeah, it's "sour grapes" to show how Micro$haft and accomplices manipulated
    > the vote.
    >
    > Doesn't your bronze bust of Bill Gate's ass need kissing?

    It would be nicer to see a good rebuttal to accusations and evidence of fraud.
    Personal attacks achieve nothing.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "My signature is never intended to be offensive"

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft OOXML: Committees and Shenanigans in Poland Broke the Rules, Philippines Suspect Also

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 01:40:46 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ RonB on Wednesday 02 April 2008 19:38 : \____
    >
    >> Jamie Winekopf wrote:
    >>
    >>> Would you like some sour grapes to go with your whine?

    >> Yeah, it's "sour grapes" to show how Micro$haft and accomplices manipulated
    >> the vote.
    >>
    >> Doesn't your bronze bust of Bill Gate's ass need kissing?

    > It would be nicer to see a good rebuttal to accusations and evidence of fraud.
    > Personal attacks achieve nothing.

    Actually, it would be nicer to see a good accusation and evidence in the
    first place. Read what Roy writes sometime, I know you like to copy it.

    "It Appears", "It seems", "It looks like", etc.. nothing but supposition.

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft OOXML: Committees and Shenanigans in Poland Broke the Rules, Philippines Suspect Also

    I'd explain it all to you, but your brain would explode.

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft OOXML: Committees and Shenanigans in Poland Broke the Rules, Philippines Suspect Also

    On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 21:08:02 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 01:40:46 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ RonB on Wednesday 02 April 2008 19:38 : \____

    >>> Yeah, it's "sour grapes" to show how Micro$haft and accomplices manipulated
    >>> the vote.
    >>>
    >>> Doesn't your bronze bust of Bill Gate's ass need kissing?

    >> It would be nicer to see a good rebuttal to accusations and evidence of fraud.
    >> Personal attacks achieve nothing.

    > Actually, it would be nicer to see a good accusation and evidence in the
    > first place. Read what Roy writes sometime, I know you like to copy it.
    >
    > "It Appears", "It seems", "It looks like", etc.. nothing but supposition.

    You forgot his total lack of proof:

    "A reliable sauce told me".... "PJ heard from someone"...."I received an
    email...."

    and on and on.....

    Roy Schestowitz is a graduate of the Rex Ballard school of hot air....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread