Techs and execs collaborate on Linux apps

,----[ Quote ]
| In more and more Linux deployments at banks and brokerages, the business side
| of the operation is getting heavily into the act. Collaboration is becoming
| the keyword, and suddenly Linux developers find they're being joined by
| executives.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Tech...pps/1207090037

Recent:

Linux on Wall Street (2008)

,----[ Quote ]
| 2008 Linux/Open Source on Wall Street will focus on enterprise Linux and open
| source technologies, and their adoption in the datacenters of financial
| markets firms. Killer applications, including virtual appliances and
| virtualization, Linux-as-a-Service and realtime/low latency Linux will be
| explored, as will the practicalities of deploying open source stacks in
| business-critical, high availability scenarios. ¬* ¬*
`----

http://www.linuxonwallstreet.com/

Related:

Linux steps up to power NZ Stock Exchange

,----[ Quote ]
| The New Zealand Stock Exchange is moving to a Linux platform for its
| settlement and clearing system, replacing its existing HP NonStop platform
| and applications in order to reduce cost and increase flexibility. ¬*
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2573F00001488E

HP Linux servers bolster NYSE trading app

,----[ Quote ]
| "We favor Linux for what we do. We don't want to be beholden to any one
| [hardware or software] supplier, even if it is very good. We want the freedom
| to be vendor-independent, so Linux was a good choice," said Rubinow. ¬*
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...285921,00.html

SEC goes after stock spammers, hackers

,----[ Quote ]
| The SEC action to freeze the assets is the third filed in as many
| months involving market manipulation schemes conducted through
| online account intrusions. In the past the SEC has also taken
| action against individuals who allegedly broke into financial
| news Web sites or news release services.
|
| [...]
|
| "When spam clogs our mailboxes, it's annoying. When it rips
| off investors, it's illegal and destructive," SEC Chairman
| Christopher Cox said in a statement.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7348_3-6165...0-20&subj=news

London Stock Exchange blames outage on Infolect

,----[ Quote ]
| She said the problem appeared to lie with Infolect’s three interactive
| gateways, which send out about 10 million separate pieces of market
| information daily, including share prices, to about 100,000 terminals. ¬*
|
| Infolect was launched two years ago in place of the exchange’s London Market
| Information Link platform. It uses Microsoft .net technology and a SQL Server
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| database, and runs on more than 100 Intel-based 32-bit Proliant servers. ¬*
`----

http://www.cio.co.uk/concern/securit...allchantopdate

Bank group takes Linux migration a step at a time

,----[ Quote ]
| Metropolitan Bank Group is a large conglomerate in Illinois, comprising 10
| banks and $3 billion in assets. As Metropolitan acquired more banking
| interests, IT Director Tom Johnson needed to find a way to reduce costs and
| increase efficiency in the face of the company's rapid growth. The solution
| was a migration from Windows to Linux. ¬* ¬*
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/127173

FNB [Bank] switches 12 000 desktops to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1562