Reversing Loss, Microsoft Wins Open-Format Designation - Linux

This is a discussion on Reversing Loss, Microsoft Wins Open-Format Designation - Linux ; Why of course they do. RL Reversing Loss, Microsoft Wins Open-Format Designation New York Times - 1 hour ago By KEVIN J. O'BRIEN Microsoft has won an international standards designation for its open- document format, according to voting results obtained ...

  1. Reversing Loss, Microsoft Wins Open-Format Designation

    Why of course they do.

    RL

    Reversing Loss, Microsoft Wins Open-Format Designation

    New York Times - 1 hour ago

    By KEVIN J. O'BRIEN

    Microsoft has won an international standards designation for its open-
    document format, according to voting results obtained Tuesday,
    apparently ending a divisive yearlong battle with software rivals
    before a global standards-setting

  2. Re: Reversing Loss, Microsoft Wins Open-Format Designation

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 21:33:49 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > Why of course they do.
    >
    > RL
    >
    > Reversing Loss, Microsoft Wins Open-Format Designation
    >
    > New York Times - 1 hour ago
    >
    > By KEVIN J. O'BRIEN
    >
    > Microsoft has won an international standards designation for its open-
    > document format, according to voting results obtained Tuesday,
    > apparently ending a divisive yearlong battle with software rivals before
    > a global standards-setting

    Microsoft steals Open Format Designation. Get it right.

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: Reversing Loss, Microsoft Wins Open-Format Designation

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick

    wrote
    on Wed, 02 Apr 2008 04:55:05 -0500
    :
    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 21:33:49 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> Why of course they do.
    >>
    >> RL
    >>
    >> Reversing Loss, Microsoft Wins Open-Format Designation
    >>
    >> New York Times - 1 hour ago
    >>
    >> By KEVIN J. O'BRIEN
    >>
    >> Microsoft has won an international standards designation for its open-
    >> document format, according to voting results obtained Tuesday,
    >> apparently ending a divisive yearlong battle with software rivals before
    >> a global standards-setting

    > Microsoft steals Open Format Designation. Get it right.

    As long as we can amend the spec later and prove
    compliance. The vote among P-members was 16 out of
    24, with 10 negative votes among the general members.
    Since the requirements were 66.66% and 25% respectively,
    OOXML passed.

    http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standa...80401033558908

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Error 16: Not enough space on file system to delete file(s)

  4. Re: Reversing Loss, Microsoft Wins Open-Format Designation

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 02 Apr 2008 04:55:05 -0500
    > :
    >> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 21:33:49 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why of course they do.
    >>>
    >>> RL
    >>>
    >>> Reversing Loss, Microsoft Wins Open-Format Designation
    >>>
    >>> New York Times - 1 hour ago
    >>>
    >>> By KEVIN J. O'BRIEN
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft has won an international standards designation for its open-
    >>> document format, according to voting results obtained Tuesday,
    >>> apparently ending a divisive yearlong battle with software rivals before
    >>> a global standards-setting

    >> Microsoft steals Open Format Designation. Get it right.
    >>

    > As long as we can amend the spec later and prove
    > compliance. The vote among P-members was 16 out of
    > 24, with 10 negative votes among the general members.
    > Since the requirements were 66.66% and 25% respectively,
    > OOXML passed.
    >
    > http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standa...80401033558908

    Grudgingly you agree, but your cite says 24 out of 32 voting P-members.
    That gives them room to spare, eh?

  5. Re: Reversing Loss, Microsoft Wins Open-Format Designation

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, amicus_curious

    wrote
    on Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:11:21 -0400
    <47f3a256$0$9175$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>:

    > "The Ghost In The Machine" wrote in message
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Wed, 02 Apr 2008 04:55:05 -0500
    >> :

    >>> Microsoft steals Open Format Designation. Get it right.
    >>>

    >> As long as we can amend the spec later and prove
    >> compliance. The vote among P-members was 16 out of
    >> 24, with 10 negative votes among the general members.
    >> Since the requirements were 66.66% and 25% respectively,
    >> OOXML passed.
    >>
    >> http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standa...80401033558908
    >>

    > Grudgingly you agree, but your cite says 24 out of 32 voting P-members.
    > That gives them room to spare, eh?

    A bit. They only really needed 22. In any event, OOXML
    is now an Open Format, only currently generatable using
    Microsoft Office.

    Deal with it. I for one am hopeful OpenOffice can import
    OOXML; most likely it already can.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: No such file or directory

  6. Re: Reversing Loss, Microsoft Wins Open-Format Designation

    > A bit. They only really needed 22. In any event, OOXML
    > is now an Open Format, only currently generatable using
    > Microsoft Office.
    >
    > Deal with it. I for one am hopeful OpenOffice can import
    > OOXML; most likely it already can.

    Well, there you go! If there are any problems with the OO being able to
    read Office 2K7 files, the gnomes can just look up what to do in the new
    standard. Everone wins.

    I personally am not affected at all. I don't have the slightest interest in
    creating or processing OO or Office 2K7 documents without just using the
    manufacturer's APIs.

  7. Re: Reversing Loss, Microsoft Wins Open-Format Designation

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, amicus_curious

    wrote
    on Wed, 2 Apr 2008 14:13:56 -0400
    <47f3cd1f$0$9168$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>:

    > "The Ghost In The Machine" wrote in message
    >>
    >> A bit. They only really needed 22. In any event, OOXML
    >> is now an Open Format, only currently generatable using
    >> Microsoft Office.
    >>
    >> Deal with it. I for one am hopeful OpenOffice can import
    >> OOXML; most likely it already can.
    >>

    > Well, there you go! If there are any problems with the
    > OO being able to read Office 2K7 files, the gnomes can
    > just look up what to do in the new standard. Everone wins.

    If the standard is proper. More likely one will have to
    purchase Microsoft Word to see what the standard dictates,
    at least until it's properly revised.

    It's also rather large -- 6000+ pages if memory serves.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/brain: Permission denied

  8. Re: Reversing Loss, Microsoft Wins Open-Format Designation

    In article <9d3dc5-mso.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net>,
    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > It's also rather large -- 6000+ pages if memory serves.

    Much of which is do to an extremely large number of examples, and great
    detail on thing like spreadsheet functions. Are you really going to try
    to argue that this makes it harder to implement?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  9. Re: Reversing Loss, Microsoft Wins Open-Format Designation

    In article ,
    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > A bit. They only really needed 22. In any event, OOXML
    > is now an Open Format, only currently generatable using
    > Microsoft Office.

    Not correct:

    NeoOffice includes the ODF Add-in for Microsoft Word, Excel, and
    PowerPoint. The ODF Add-in is an open source project that makes it
    possible for NeoOffice to open, edit, and save most files in the
    Office 2007 Word, Excel, and PowerPoint formats. This feature is not
    available in current Mac versions of Microsoft Office and will not
    be available until Office 2008 for the Mac is released.

    I think it is still alpha or beta level, but it does generate the files.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  10. Re: Reversing Loss, Microsoft Wins Open-Format Designation

    * Bob Hauck peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > To give one concrete example, most people think it is simply not
    > acceptable for a government entity to tell citizens that they must buy
    > something from Vendor X, and only Vendor X, if they want to be able to
    > exchange documents with the government.

    That's what I don't get. In our projects, I hear talk all the time
    about avoiding sole-source vendors.

    Yet we seem to get stuck buying stuff from ... sole-source vendors.
    Including Microsoft. It's nuts!

    --
    I'm a great believer that any tool that enhances communication has profound
    effects in terms of how people can learn from each other, and how they can

  11. Re: Reversing Loss, Microsoft Wins Open-Format Designation

    On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 08:44:19 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > That's what I don't get. In our projects, I hear talk all the time
    > about avoiding sole-source vendors.
    >
    > Yet we seem to get stuck buying stuff from ... sole-source vendors.
    > Including Microsoft. It's nuts!

    The reason for that is becasue in terms of proprietary software there
    really isn't very much that is offered that has form-fit-function
    compatibility across vendors. Instead in most markets there are various
    packages that do about the same thing but that don't interoperate very
    well at all. So you're forced to get on board with just one and stick
    with it, otherwise you spend a lot of time and effort converting data
    files between packages.

    --
    -| Bob Hauck
    -| http://www.haucks.org/

  12. Re: Reversing Loss, Microsoft Wins Open-Format Designation

    This just in today. What's a matter with these Euro-fags? Trying to
    kill the goose that lays the golden egg?

    RL

    EU Probes Microsoft Office Standards Win
    The European Commission's antitrust regulators are asking whether the
    software giant abused standardization processes to push its Office
    Open XML file format

    On Apr 2, 12:33*am, raylopez99 wrote:
    > Why of course they do.
    >
    > RL
    >
    > Reversing Loss, Microsoft Wins Open-Format Designation
    >
    > New York Times - 1 hour ago

+ Reply to Thread