[News] US Survey: Firefox Climbs in Enterprises, Not Just Homes - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] US Survey: Firefox Climbs in Enterprises, Not Just Homes - Linux ; Firefox reaches 18 percent of corporate desktops ,----[ Quote ] | This number will seem low to those who have seen higher numbers elsewhere | (for example, as high as 30 percent in Europe). This simply reflects the bias | ...

  1. [News] US Survey: Firefox Climbs in Enterprises, Not Just Homes

    Firefox reaches 18 percent of corporate desktops

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This number will seem low to those who have seen higher numbers elsewhere
    | (for example, as high as 30 percent in Europe). This simply reflects the bias
    | of the report toward formal enterprise adoption, a route that Mozilla has
    | explicitly not taken. Basically, Firefox is not an alternate universe into
    | which you will be banished.
    `----

    http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-990...&subj=NewsBlog

    Recent:

    Firefox 4 will push out the edges of the browser

    | Beard's philosophy is this: The browser needs to evolve. Beard believes the
    | browser concept hasn't fundamentally changed in 10 years. It's still an
    | isolated piece of software, he says. Mozilla Lab's push is to blur the edges
    | of the browser, to make it both more tightly integrated with the computer
    | it's running on, and also more hooked into Web services. So extended, the
    | browser becomes an even more powerful and pervasive platform for all kinds of
    | applications. * * *
    `----

    http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-99...?tag=nefd.only

    'We're Huge in Finland!' Firefox Hits New High as IE7 Lags

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mozilla Firefox continued its slow but steady march against the worldwide
    | dominance of Microsoft Internet Explorer in 2007. Though the open-source web
    | browser continues to sit firmly in second place behind IE, where it's been
    | for years, usage of Firefox is still on the rise. The browser is even
    | threatening to tip the scales in some European countries -- most likely
    | thanks to the rapid internationalization efforts made possible by the
    | open-source development model.
    `----

    http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/20...x-made-wo.html

    Related:

    Microsoft's browser market share drops 9.5 percent in a year

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft Explorer's share of the browser market has fallen almost 10 percent
    | in the past 12 months, to 63.9 percent, mostly at the expense of Firefox
    | which has boosted its share from 11.8 to 17.4 percent.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14373/1054/

    Firefox passes 400 million downloads

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Firefox just passed the 400 million download mark, according to the Spread
    | Firefox site for promoting the open-source, extendable Web browser.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-977...&subj=NewsBlog

    IE6: The zombie browser

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Paul Graham's much-dissected essay Microsoft is Dead offers some witty and
    | perceptive analysis, but it sidesteps the fact that Microsoft's rotten corpse
    | will take decades to decompose.
    `----

    http://blogs.pathf.com/agileajax/200...e-zombie-.html

    IE7 Bites the Dust! Firefox 2.0 Did It!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In the same three months, Internet Explorer 7 only managed to move up from
    | 32.02% to 33.15% and to 33.55%, meaning that in the past two months IE7 only
    | jumped 1.53%.
    `----

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/IE7-B...It-64490.shtml

  2. Re: [News] US Survey: Firefox Climbs in Enterprises, Not Just Homes

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Firefox reaches 18 percent of corporate desktops
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | This number will seem low to those who have seen higher numbers elsewhere
    > | (for example, as high as 30 percent in Europe). This simply reflects the bias
    > | of the report toward formal enterprise adoption, a route that Mozilla has
    > | explicitly not taken. Basically, Firefox is not an alternate universe into
    > | which you will be banished.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-990...&subj=NewsBlog

    In my company, we are seeing Firefox as a bridging technology to help us
    move from IE6 to IE7. Because of MS' stupid maneuver of embedding IE in
    the OS, the roll back to IE6 is really bad. So Firefox is used to help
    those that get stuck on IE7 until the internal apps fully support IE7.

  3. Re: [News] US Survey: Firefox Climbs in Enterprises, Not Just Homes

    Philip espoused:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Firefox reaches 18 percent of corporate desktops
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | This number will seem low to those who have seen higher numbers elsewhere
    >> | (for example, as high as 30 percent in Europe). This simply reflects the bias
    >> | of the report toward formal enterprise adoption, a route that Mozilla has
    >> | explicitly not taken. Basically, Firefox is not an alternate universe into
    >> | which you will be banished.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-990...&subj=NewsBlog

    > In my company, we are seeing Firefox as a bridging technology to help us
    > move from IE6 to IE7. Because of MS' stupid maneuver of embedding IE in
    > the OS, the roll back to IE6 is really bad. So Firefox is used to help
    > those that get stuck on IE7 until the internal apps fully support IE7.

    Ah, so you're using Firefox to rescue you from a dumb design decision
    some time ago, ie., to couple your "internal" apps to closely to IE6,
    so that when Microsoft released IE7, it caused all kinds of problems
    for your *users*, you know, the poor folk you push this stuff onto.

    Not content with having made the mistake once, linking all your
    applications to IE6, you're now *repeating the same mistake* by linking
    them all to IE7. Frankly, I would have strong sympathy with your poor
    users if they formed a lynch-mob as an education exercise for their
    apparently terminally stupid admins and internal ICT support folk.

    The *sensible* choice would be, *stay with Firefox*, where things
    work *without* changing your apps. If you're very very lucky (and no
    ICT department should be relying on /luck/ as a design choice), then
    Firefox will be around to save your jobs again when IE8 comes along.
    If you're not lucky, then maybe you should brush up your CV just in case.

  4. Re: [News] US Survey: Firefox Climbs in Enterprises, Not Just Homes

    "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    > Philip espoused:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> Firefox reaches 18 percent of corporate desktops
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> elsewhere
    >>> the bias
    >>> has
    >>> into
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-990...&subj=NewsBlog

    So suddenly it is possible to measure free software. And of these people who
    use Firefox, about 96% of them are running it on Windows.

  5. Re: [News] US Survey: Firefox Climbs in Enterprises, Not Just Homes

    Mark Kent espoused:
    > Philip espoused:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> Firefox reaches 18 percent of corporate desktops
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-990...&subj=NewsBlog

    >> In my company, we are seeing Firefox as a bridging technology to help us
    >> move from IE6 to IE7. Because of MS' stupid maneuver of embedding IE in
    >> the OS, the roll back to IE6 is really bad. So Firefox is used to help
    >> those that get stuck on IE7 until the internal apps fully support IE7.

    > Ah, so you're using Firefox to rescue you from a dumb design decision
    > some time ago, ie., to couple your "internal" apps to closely to IE6,
    > so that when Microsoft released IE7, it caused all kinds of problems
    > for your *users*, you know, the poor folk you push this stuff onto.
    >
    > Not content with having made the mistake once, linking all your
    > applications to IE6, you're now *repeating the same mistake* by linking
    > them all to IE7. Frankly, I would have strong sympathy with your poor
    > users if they formed a lynch-mob as an education exercise for their
    > apparently terminally stupid admins and internal ICT support folk.
    >
    > The *sensible* choice would be, *stay with Firefox*, where things
    > work *without* changing your apps. If you're very very lucky (and no
    > ICT department should be relying on /luck/ as a design choice), then
    > Firefox will be around to save your jobs again when IE8 comes along.
    > If you're not lucky, then maybe you should brush up your CV just in case.

    That was meant to be you in the plural, not personal polite.

  6. Re: [News] US Survey: Firefox Climbs in Enterprises, Not Just Homes

    Mark Kent wrote:
    > Mark Kent espoused:
    >> Philip espoused:

    >>> In my company, we are seeing Firefox as a bridging technology to help us
    >>> move from IE6 to IE7. Because of MS' stupid maneuver of embedding IE in
    >>> the OS, the roll back to IE6 is really bad. So Firefox is used to help
    >>> those that get stuck on IE7 until the internal apps fully support IE7.

    >> Ah, so you're using Firefox to rescue you from a dumb design decision
    >> some time ago, ie., to couple your "internal" apps to closely to IE6,
    >> so that when Microsoft released IE7, it caused all kinds of problems
    >> for your *users*, you know, the poor folk you push this stuff onto.
    >>
    >> Not content with having made the mistake once, linking all your
    >> applications to IE6, you're now *repeating the same mistake* by linking
    >> them all to IE7. Frankly, I would have strong sympathy with your poor
    >> users if they formed a lynch-mob as an education exercise for their
    >> apparently terminally stupid admins and internal ICT support folk.
    >>
    >> The *sensible* choice would be, *stay with Firefox*, where things
    >> work *without* changing your apps. If you're very very lucky (and no
    >> ICT department should be relying on /luck/ as a design choice), then
    >> Firefox will be around to save your jobs again when IE8 comes along.
    >> If you're not lucky, then maybe you should brush up your CV just in case.
    >>

    > That was meant to be you in the plural, not personal polite.

    You intent is understood. Personally I agree with you, but I have to
    work with these Luddites.

  7. Re: [News] US Survey: Firefox Climbs in Enterprises, Not Just Homes

    Philip espoused:
    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >> Mark Kent espoused:
    >>> Philip espoused:

    >>> Ah, so you're using Firefox to rescue you from a dumb design decision
    >>> some time ago, ie., to couple your "internal" apps to closely to IE6,
    >>> so that when Microsoft released IE7, it caused all kinds of problems
    >>> for your *users*, you know, the poor folk you push this stuff onto.
    >>>
    >>> Not content with having made the mistake once, linking all your
    >>> applications to IE6, you're now *repeating the same mistake* by linking
    >>> them all to IE7. Frankly, I would have strong sympathy with your poor
    >>> users if they formed a lynch-mob as an education exercise for their
    >>> apparently terminally stupid admins and internal ICT support folk.
    >>>
    >>> The *sensible* choice would be, *stay with Firefox*, where things
    >>> work *without* changing your apps. If you're very very lucky (and no
    >>> ICT department should be relying on /luck/ as a design choice), then
    >>> Firefox will be around to save your jobs again when IE8 comes along.
    >>> If you're not lucky, then maybe you should brush up your CV just in case.
    >>>

    >> That was meant to be you in the plural, not personal polite.
    >>

    > You intent is understood. Personally I agree with you, but I have to
    > work with these Luddites.

    Ahh, we all have Luddites with whom we must work :-)