[News] Linux Owned by Nobody (Industry Commodity) - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux Owned by Nobody (Industry Commodity) - Linux ; The Linux Census: No one entity owns the kernel ,----[ Quote ] | The Linux Foundation on Tuesday released a report on Linux kernel development | that is essentially a census of the open source operation. While much has | ...

  1. [News] Linux Owned by Nobody (Industry Commodity)

    The Linux Census: No one entity owns the kernel

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Linux Foundation on Tuesday released a report on Linux kernel development
    | that is essentially a census of the open source operation. While much has
    | been made about Novell’s doubling of contributions to the Linux kernel, the
    | two biggest categories of contributors aren’t sponsored by any one company.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8344

    Q: Who Really Creates Linux? A: The Enterprise

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The companies that are building Linux, in order of their contributions to the
    | kernel, are:
    |
    | 1) Red Hat, 11.2 percent
    | 2) Novell, 8.9 percent
    | 3) IBM, 8.3 percent
    | 4) Intel, 4.1 percent
    | 5) LF, 3.5 percent
    | 6) SGI, 2.0 percent
    | 7) MIPS Technology, 1.6 percent
    | 8) Oracle, 1.3 percent
    | 9) MontaVista, 1.2 percent
    | 10) Lintronix, 1.0 percent.
    `----

    Recent:

    Is Linux Commoditizing the Desktop OS Market?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Those forces are as follows:
    |
    | * low hardware cost of the new ultra-portable computers such as the Asus Eee
    | * low memory and storage requirements of many Linux distributions
    | * increasing memory & storage requirements of Windows distributions
    | * emergence of free web-based productivity applications
    `----

    http://www.openlogic.com/blogs/2008/...system-market/

    Related:

    Why PCs aren't pricey anymore

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The PC was always a commodity--only dressed up as something more than that.
    | Now there is no returning to the days of Fat City. These days you have no
    | excuse for getting ripped off. If you pay too much for a computer, it's your
    | own fault. *
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2010-9584_22-6221875.html

    Open Voices – Mark Shuttleworth

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It’s going to be very interesting to see what role Linux plays in unsettling
    | Microsoft. It’s certainly true that one of Microsoft’s major cash cows—which
    | is the operating system—is very vulnerable to commoditization. You know, I
    | believe that the operating system is already a commodity; it’s just that most
    | folks haven’t realized it and so they’re willing to pay for it. * *
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...14&entryid=524

  2. Re: Steven J. Vaughan-Cut-and-Paste is at it again

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    [... www.linux-watch.com ...]

    http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/2008/0...-is-at-it.html

    -------
    Steven J. Vaughan-Cut-and-Paste is at it again

    A while back the FSJ Spotlight Team revealed that noted freetard hack
    Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols -- a writer for eWeek, author of the Linux
    Watch website, and founder/president of the Internet Press Guild -- was
    lifting chunks of press releases and putting them into his stories,
    verbatim, under his byline. We found about a dozen examples (see the
    "Copygate" label below to follow the whole sad tale, or just click here
    .)

    Well, for a while Mr. Cut-and-Paste cleaned up his act. Sort of. He
    still kept lifting big chunks of releases, but he at least took the time
    to put these entire paragraphs into quote marks, though in one case he
    was sloppy enough to carry over the lifted material with typo intact.
    Ahem.

    Well, I just got an update from Iulia and Natasha in Krasnodar, who say:
    "Guess what, Dear Leader? That ****er at eWeek is at it again."

    Check out this press release from Red Hat and this article about Red
    Hat's earnings which carried the byline of Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols.
    You might notice a few similarities:

    Red Hat
    At year end, the company's total deferred revenue balance was $472.9
    million, an increase of 40% on a year-over-year basis and 12%
    sequentially. Total cash, cash equivalents and investments as of
    February 29, 2008 were $1.3 billion.

    Vaughan-Cut-and-Paste
    At year end, the company's total deferred revenue balance was $472.9
    million, an increase of 40% on a year-over-year basis and 12%
    sequentially. Total cash, cash equivalents and investments as of
    February 29, 2008 were $1.3 billion.

    Or check this out:

    Red Hat
    Non-GAAP operating cash flow, as detailed in the tables below, totaled
    $71.6 million or approximately 50% of revenue for the quarter and $264.3
    million for the full year.

    Vaughan-Cut-and-Paste
    The 2008 fiscal year's non-GAAP operating cash flow totaled $71.6
    million, or approximately 50 percent of revenue for the quarter and
    $264.3 million for the full year.

    Also see this March 18 press release from Novell and this article by
    Vaughan-Cut-and-Paste.

    Novell:
    In addition, the companies plan to optimize SUSE Linux Enterprise for
    SAP's data center infrastructure requirements, further promote SAP
    Business All-in-One solutions based on SUSE Linux Enterprise and
    collaborate within the SAP Enterprise Services Community program to help
    strengthen customers related to the SAP governance, risk and compliance
    (GRC) practices.

    Vaughan-Cut-and-Paste:
    According to the press release, Novell and SAP will optimize SUSE Linux
    Enterprise for SAP's data center applications, further promote SAP's
    SUSE Linux-based Business All-in-One solutions and work within the SAP
    Enterprise Services Community program on behalf of customers in ways
    related to SAP's GRC (governance, risk and compliance) practices.

    Or see this March 11 press release and this March 11 article by
    Vaughan-Cut-and-Paste.

    LinMin
    LBMP can remotely provision (natively install and configure Linux and
    customer-specified applications) as well as image (snapshot and rollback
    entire systems for disaster recovery and clone systems for mass
    deployment) servers, blades, PCs, appliances and virtual machines. LBMP
    enables systems to be rapidly deployed, repurposed and recovered.

    Vaughan-Cut-and-Paste:
    According to the company, LBMP can be used to remotely provision-that
    is, natively install and configure Linux and customer-specified
    applications-and image systems. These images can then be used for
    rollbacks or to clone servers, PCs, appliances and virtual machines for
    mass deployment.

    LinMin
    An annual subscription to LBMP costs $100 for 10 client systems, $400
    for 100 client systems and $750 for 250 clients systems. Perpetual
    licenses are also available.

    Vaughan-Cut-and-Paste
    An annual subscription to LBMP costs $100 for 10 client systems, $400
    for 100 client systems and $750 for 250 client systems. Perpetual
    licenses are also available.

    Katie says she's never seen anything like it. She says someone at eWeek
    needs to sit down and give this guy some kind of tutorial or something.

    Posted by Steve at 7:14 AM

    Labels: Copygate, Filthy hacks
    -------

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    "03/17/2008 10 NOTICE OF VOLUNTARY DISMISSAL: Pursuant to Rule 41(a)(1)
    of the F.R.C.P., plaintiffs Erik Andersen and Rob Landley hereby dismiss

    -- CIVIL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:07-cv-11070-LTS

  3. Re: Steven J. Vaughan-Cut-and-Paste is at it again

    "Alexander Terekhov" wrote in message

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > [... www.linux-watch.com ...]
    >
    > http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/2008/0...-is-at-it.html
    >
    > -------
    > Steven J. Vaughan-Cut-and-Paste is at it again
    >
    > A while back the FSJ Spotlight Team revealed that noted freetard hack
    > Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols -- a writer for eWeek, author of the Linux
    > Watch website, and founder/president of the Internet Press Guild -- was
    > lifting chunks of press releases and putting them into his stories,
    > verbatim, under his byline. We found about a dozen examples (see the
    > "Copygate" label below to follow the whole sad tale, or just click here
    > .)
    >
    > Well, for a while Mr. Cut-and-Paste cleaned up his act. Sort of. He
    > still kept lifting big chunks of releases, but he at least took the time
    > to put these entire paragraphs into quote marks, though in one case he
    > was sloppy enough to carry over the lifted material with typo intact.
    > Ahem.

    SJV exhibits the typical linux mentality. He "copies" other peoples work the
    same way that linux "innovates" by copying other companies products. See
    OpenOffice trying to mimic MS-Office for details.

  4. Re: Steven J. Vaughan-Cut-and-Paste is at it again

    DFS wrote:
    [...]
    > Those press releases were obviously released under the GPL, so he was just
    > exercising freedoms 1 and 3 of his four freedoms.
    >
    > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

    http://gng.z505.com/stallmanism.htm

    GNU philosophy is not 'free software'. It is a personal opinion of
    freedom based on Stallman's thoughts.. not facts or science of freedom.
    Therefore GNU is actually Stallmanism. The correct term for GNU software
    and its foundation is Stallmanist Foundation and Stallmanism. It is not,
    I repeat, Free Software nor is it Candy Apple Butterscotch software..
    rather it is Stallmanism.

    The phrase 'free software' is incorrect and it is unethical to say
    something is a 'free software' when no laws, dictionaries, or science
    have ever stated that one's personal opinion of 'four freedoms' or
    'twenty seven and a half freedoms' could be considered the official
    definitive freedom. They can go ahead and call the philosophy the
    Stallmanist belief or the Stallmanist website, or the Stallmanist
    Foundation - but not the 'free software site' or 'the strawberry fruit
    plant' just because their personal belief is that they are a strawberry
    fruit plant.

    One could claim to be 'a Stallmanist view' or 'a Stallman interpreted
    freedom' but one cannot claim to 'be freedom itself'. The fraud tactics
    used such as registering a company called 'the free software foundation'
    and registering websites that have 'free software' in them are all part
    of the Stallmanist game to confuse the public into his Stallmanist view.

    The only option for the public (you) is to stop all usage of the term
    'free software' and use instead 'Stallmanism' which is most correct and
    most appropriate.

    Free software is Stallmanism, and everyone will start calling it
    Stallmanism instead of Free Software - effective today.

    Everyone here, and everyone there will use the term Stallmanism from now
    on. No more 'free software' phrase. We make this change immediately,
    today. Correct everyone who uses 'free software' and inform them of the
    correct term called 'Stallmanism' immediately.

    The word 'free' has been completely abused, especially when embedded
    into a foundation or company name. Likewise, one cannot name and defraud
    people by calling their foundation 'the official government' if they are
    not the government.. just because they believe they are the government
    according to their personal opinion. One cannot call strawberry fruits
    'the government' either, just because their personal opinion says that
    governments are always red with leaves on them. That would be a belief
    or personal opinion.. that strawberries are governments.. and should be
    called 'lunacy' or 'Johnism' if John thought it up.

    If you EVER see anyone say 'free software' then please immediately point
    them to this GNG website which explains Stallmanism and WHY the phrase
    'free software' is wrong. This site explains why the phrase
    'Stallmanism' is correct when referencing GNU and FSF. The phrase FSF is
    also wrong, and is to be called in public the Stallmanist Foundation
    effective immediately. No matter whether or not the FSF changes its
    name.. YOU must take action immediately and make this change publicly
    yourself.

    This is the website that you will point people to when they
    misunderstand FSF/Freedom.

    Inform anyone who has been brainwashed into 'free software' hypnotism.
    Show them the Stallmanist definition and rational.

    http://gng.z505.com/stallmanism.htm (waiting for DNS updates.. use below
    link for now)
    http://z505.com/gng/stallmanism.htm

    You are reading the sites above now. This is the site.

    The word 'free software' is completely vague and meaningless.. whereas
    STALLMANISM is completely specific to the person who invented
    Stallmanism. It makes absolute most sense to name philosophies after the
    philosopher. It is not Penny Software or Pink Software or Free
    Software.. rather it is Stallmanist Software. Make this change
    immediately, in all conversation and communication. GNU/FSF is only a
    man's personal view.. i.e. it is part of STALLMANISM. Repeat.

    Navigation: | Home | Alternative Explanation | Free Table Foundation |

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    "03/17/2008 10 NOTICE OF VOLUNTARY DISMISSAL: Pursuant to Rule 41(a)(1)
    of the F.R.C.P., plaintiffs Erik Andersen and Rob Landley hereby dismiss
    this action against defendant Verizon Communications Inc. WITH
    PREJUDICE"

    -- CIVIL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:07-cv-11070-LTS

  5. Re: Steven J. Vaughan-Cut-and-Paste is at it again