Australian open source industry worth $500 million

,----[ Quote ]
| "The industry as a whole is earning $500 million," said Jeff Waugh,
| co-founder of Waugh Partners, which conducted the survey online late last
| year. "Directly open source related earnings are about $300 million, but the
| reason why we're distinguishing between these numbers is the industry is not
| just companies that build open source software. They also use open source
| products to support other parts of their business as well."
|
| Waugh said the figure was calculated by taking the midpoint earnings figures
| specified by companies who took part, and extrapolating over the broader ICT
| industry using existing data such as surveys by the Australian Bureau of
| Statistics and Australian Computer Society. Waugh Partners estimates the
| respondents represent about a quarter of the overall industry.
`----

http://www.apcmag.com/australian_ope...00_million.htm

That's even a higher estimate than before.

Days ago:

Open source increases its share

,----[ Quote ]
| BUSINESS generated directly from open source software in Australia is worth
| about $300 million a year, with government a large contributor to the pie, a
| study shows. *
`----

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/...rom=public_rss

Local Government Urged to Consider Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| The senior IT officer from a West Australian shire says open source software
| can provide a way forward for councils suffering budgetary constraints.
`----

http://www.cio.com.au/index.php/id;546692901

Related:

Governments slammed for anti-competitive software tendering practices * *

,----[ Quote ]
| A leading Australian open source advocate has called for an end for to
| tender lock-outs of competitors to Microsoft, claiming the practice
| is costing Australian taxpayers tens of millions of dollars each
| year.
`----

Feds revise IT procurement model

,----[ Quote ]
| The federal government has launched version two of the SourceIT
| model contracts and user notes aimed at simplifying procurement of
| information technology 12 months after the first version.
`----

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/...t_billion.html