[News] Time is right for Linux PCs to emerge - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Time is right for Linux PCs to emerge - Linux ; http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080401/...xNXqhj8RJk24cA or http://tinyurl.com/2gjkgm Time is right for Linux PCs to emerge By BRIAN BERGSTEIN, AP Technology Writer Tue Apr 1, 4:23 PM ET BOSTON - The free Linux operating system handles big tasks like running supercomputers and ATMs. Now Linux ...

  1. [News] Time is right for Linux PCs to emerge

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080401/...xNXqhj8RJk24cA

    or http://tinyurl.com/2gjkgm

    Time is right for Linux PCs to emerge

    By BRIAN BERGSTEIN, AP Technology Writer Tue Apr 1, 4:23 PM ET

    BOSTON - The free Linux operating system handles big tasks like
    running supercomputers and ATMs. Now Linux has a chance to
    finally crack Microsoft Corp.'s hold on computing's most visible
    domain — mainstream PCs — because of the rise of innovative,
    inexpensive machines.

    <....>

    Business computing suppliers are finding open-source desktops
    especially gaining traction in cost-conscious developing markets.
    For example, a PC distributor in Eastern Europe is packaging
    software from IBM Corp. and Linux vendor Red Hat Inc. to create
    Microsoft-free desktops for that market.

    One buyer is Aleksandar Spagnut, a director of Moscow-based
    Rushotel, which needed new desktop PCs for a hotel-building
    project. Spagnut said his company saved 30 to 35 percent over
    comparable Windows machines. He added that Linux PCs are now
    common enough that a snowball effect is emerging, whereby
    technical support and "drivers" — which essentially tell programs
    how to interact with hardware — are much easier to find.

    "This really makes the difference," he said.
    --
    HPT

  2. Re: [News] Time is right for Linux PCs to emerge

    "nothing of his own as usual". What a waste of bandwidth!

    --
    "Its obvious Micoshaft sponsored frauds and net stalkers are now attacking individuals directly in organised gangs in linux advocacy newsgroups as predicted since it is known micoshaft is failing in the market place."
    7, COLA Linux "advocate" and nutjob.

  3. Re: [News] Time is right for Linux PCs to emerge

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > or http://tinyurl.com/2gjkgm
    >
    > Time is right for Linux PCs to emerge

    And this time we really mean it!!!

  4. Re: [News] Time is right for Linux PCs to emerge

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 21:57:59 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Meanwhile, Linux keeps chugging along.

    Yea.
    Someday the desktop market share might actually make 1 percent.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: [News] Time is right for Linux PCs to emerge

    High> Just today one employee mentioned that Vista was a bad deal
    High> for him. He purchased a laptop with it, dual core and 1 GB
    High> of RAM. It was really sluggish. He dumped Vista and
    High> installed XP (at additional cost of course), its performance
    High> is sparkling.

    So, he has effectived _upgraded_ (and downdated(TM)) the OS on this
    laptop.

    --
    Lee Sau Dan §õĻu´° ~{@nJX6X~}

    E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de

  6. Re: [News] Time is right for Linux PCs to emerge

    "High Plains Thumper" wrote in message
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080401/...xNXqhj8RJk24cA
    >
    > or http://tinyurl.com/2gjkgm
    >
    > [quote]
    > Time is right for Linux PCs to emerge

    I've read this story before. It was titled "The little boy who cried wolf."

    It's been time for linux PCs to emerge since 1999 and it still hasn't done
    squat on the desktop. Despite the endless claims of how every passing year
    is supposed to be the year of the linux desktop.

    The little boy cried wolf one too many times. People are no longer
    listening.

  7. Re: [News] Time is right for Linux PCs to emerge

    On 2008-04-03, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "High Plains Thumper" wrote in message
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080401/...xNXqhj8RJk24cA
    >>
    >> or http://tinyurl.com/2gjkgm
    >>
    >> [quote]
    >> Time is right for Linux PCs to emerge

    > I've read this story before. It was titled "The little boy who cried wolf."
    >
    > It's been time for linux PCs to emerge since 1999 and it still hasn't done
    > squat on the desktop. Despite the endless claims of how every passing year

    ...yup but it's quite effectively running amok in the server
    and embedded space.

    --

    The average IT manager is a less effective mentor than a
    Spongebob Squarepants cartoon.

    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread