[News] [Rival] ISO and Microsoft Shamed with Sarcasm - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] ISO and Microsoft Shamed with Sarcasm - Linux ; 20080401: ISO announces radical reforms ,----[ Quote ] | Geneva, 1 April 2008. The International Organization for Standardization | announced at a press conference that its processes are "broken" and "need | radical reform". ISO president Håkan Murby told journalists ...

  1. [News] [Rival] ISO and Microsoft Shamed with Sarcasm

    20080401: ISO announces radical reforms

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Geneva, 1 April 2008. The International Organization for Standardization
    | announced at a press conference that its processes are "broken" and "need
    | radical reform". ISO president Håkan Murby told journalists that "the
    | Microsoft OOXML process was a near-disaster and we want to make sure such a
    | thing never happens again."
    `----

    http://press.digistan.org/published:...adical-reforms

    Recent:

    Once again, what's wrong with OOXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | To conclude, Microsoft have, with OOXML, shot themselves in both feet, then
    | put the bloody stumps into their big mouth and chewed, hard and long. They
    | created a fradulent process by corrupting ISO at a high level. They engaged
    | national bodies in this process, then bought and bullied those bodies into
    | voting “properly”. And when the committees refused to be intimidated, they
    | went to ministers and tried to bribe them. They used their press and *
    | astroturfing budgets to sell this as a fair and necessary process. They
    | pretended that they were the victim, of an autocratic ODF and a manipulative
    | IBM. * * *
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-46154...ong-with-ooxml

    Microsoft influencing partner NGOs to support OOXML in India

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is encouraging its business partners to promote its Office Open XML
    | specification (OOXML) to the Indian Bureau of Standards (BIS) and Ministry of
    | IT. This move has incensed supporters of the rival OpenDocument Format (ODF)
    | who fear that the "soft" Indian state may not be able to stand up to
    | Microsoft pressure tactics. * *
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/128528

    Microsoft "persuades" NGOs to support OOXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Our friends at Linux Delhi have put up a copy of the form letters that
    | Microsoft has been sending NGOs on the OOXML issue. Apparently, these NGOs
    | have been sending copies of these letters to the Ministry of IT and Bureau of
    | Indian standards. * *
    `----

    http://osindia.blogspot.com/2008/02/...o-support.html

    Developers around the world, unite!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Monopoly and proprietary software have an advantage in influencing state and
    | governmental institutions because of their large market base and ready
    | capital. Unscrupulous ways of influencing state governments have persisted in
    | India, for example, where executives of proprietary software cajole
    | government heads to promote their brands in lieu of some form of charity
    | given. FLOSS activists must overcome this huge challenge in order to get
    | their philosophy accepted and model implemented for the good of people who
    | are still on the barren side of the digital divide. * * *
    `----

    http://thepost.com.pk/OpinionNews.as...47277&catid=11

    Using NGOs to Push Agendas

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The extent to which Microsoft can go in its efforts to get OOXML is
    | interesting. Microsoft has "persuaded" several non-profit organizations to
    | bombard the Indian IT Secretary and the Additional Director General of the
    | Bureau of Indian Standards with letters supporting its OOXML proposal. A copy
    | of the form letter they have been circulating to NGOs is given below.
    | Somebody should interview these NGOs to see how much they really know about
    | OOXML and open standards. * * *
    |
    | The sequence of events leading up to the spamming of GoI? is:
    |
    | Letter from an NGO thanking Microsoft (name changed to protect their
    | identity)
    `----

    http://wiki.linux-delhi.org/cgi-bin/...rds/MsNgoLobby

    Related:

    Microsoft Looks for the Big Guns in OOXML In-Fighting

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Bill Gates has reportedly been making phone calls to the Secretary of Defense
    | and the Secretary of Commerce to push the American National Standards
    | Institute to ignore the votes of its advisory committees and vote "yes" on
    | ISO standardizing Microsoft's Open Office XML (OOXML) format, the one in
    | competition with the OpenDocument Format (ODF) pushed by IBM and Sun. * *
    |
    | Gates reportedly picked up the phone when the last INCITS ballot failed by
    | one vote to support Microsoft.
    `----

    http://xml.sys-con.com/read/419573_p.htm

    Fighting Megatron: five steps to freedom

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The free software world is being attacked by a large, wealthy, brutal
    | monopolist, who I’ll call “Megatron” for today. As I wrote last month,
    | Megatron is driving its OOXML tank through the village church of open
    | standards, doing unspeakable things to the ISO process, with the intention of
    | locking in a generation of computer users to its stack of patented,
    | restricted, and undocumented formats. It’s about freedom, some of us want it,
    | others want to take it away from us. * * *
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...eps_to_freedom

    Swiss Cheese [for OOXML]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The present spin doctors of Microsoft and ECMA managed to convince Mr.
    | Thomann to reject every serious technical and general concern we had
    | regarding OOMXL by pointing to compatibility reasons. At the end we had a
    | majority against Microsoft but which (giving the unfair rules) results in a
    | Swiss vote for Microsoft. Mr. Thomann was fretting and fuming at the end of
    | the meeting how it can be that successful international companies (we had
    | representatives from IBM, Google, ...) vote against the best interest of
    | their customers and theirself! * * *
    |
    | Yes, this is how the democratic system at SNV / ISO works. After the meeting
    | I could not eat as much as I wanted to puke...
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-15521/swiss-cheese

    Interview with Ecma’s Secretarie General

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The following is an interview of Jan van den Beld, the Secretarie General of
    | Ecma International. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | * * * (ramble on multiple and proprietary 'standards')
    |
    | DB: But don’t you think that encourages patent wars?
    |
    | JvdB: I have never thought so deeply about it (how the pemission of multiple
    | standards encourages patent wars). In a way yes, of course, there are hardly
    | any subjects in hi-tech where no patents are involved. That is one of the big
    | worries about bodies being concerned with patents So, we stay out of it. If
    | you have a patent, you get an unconditional right and what you do with your
    | patent is your business. You can ask "is that good?" Well that’s an
    | interesting question. * * *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?page_id=2259

    No is no, to OOXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I’ve heard several reports of supporters of OOXML trying to get national
    | standards bodies to change their votes from “NO with comments” to “YES with
    | comments” because “it’s the same thing.” The logic, which I’ll explain in a
    | later post, is that any comments will trigger a ballot resolution meeting, so
    | there is no need to be so negative and vote NO. * *
    `----

    http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1762

    IBM is still locked out of the Portuguese OOXML meeting

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In spite of various communications, we [IBM] are still locked out and will
    | not be allowed to participate. Microsoft will be there, as well as a special
    | Microsoft guest, as will various Microsoft business partners, and others. *
    `----

    http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1755

    OOXML does not buy its way in Italy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Particularly noteworthy is the fact that among those favouring the adoption
    | of the standard without reservation a large majority is made of business
    | partners of the proposing entity [Microsoft], a law firm retained by the
    | latter, the official certified business partners association of the proposing
    | entity. * *
    `----

    http://www.piana.eu/cms/index.php?op...=52&Itemid=1#0

    Packing The Court At The ISO?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | * * *...P member countries ('participating member' countries) sending
    | * * representatives, and I am interested to note the majority of
    | * * their representatives are, as individuals, also Microsoft employees.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | How can they not see that OOXML (ECMA 376) is unwanted by anyone outside of
    | Microsoft? How about it Brian Jones? Are you really so desperate that you
    | have to resort to that?
    `----

    http://lnxwalt.wordpress.com/2007/03...rt-at-the-iso/

    Guest Commentary: The converter hoax

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft maintains that while it would have been easy to support the Open
    | Document Format (ODF) natively, it had to move to MS-OOXML because this was
    | the only way for them to offer the full features of its office suite. But if
    | Microsoft itself is not able to represent its internal data structures in the
    | Open Document Format (ODF) in its Microsoft Office suite, how could an
    | external conversion program from MS-OOXML accomplish this task? The answer to
    | both questions is that it is not possible because two things cannot be the
    | same and different at the same time. * * *
    `----

    http://www.heise.de/open/artikel/92735

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] ISO and Microsoft Shamed with Sarcasm

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > 20080401: ISO announces radical reforms
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> Geneva, 1 April 2008. The International Organization for
    >> Standardization announced at a press conference that its processes
    >> are "broken" and "need radical reform". ISO president Hkan Murby
    >> told journalists that "the Microsoft OOXML process was a
    >> near-disaster and we want to make sure such a thing never happens
    >> again."

    > `----
    >
    > http://press.digistan.org/published:...adical-reforms

    The gullible and inexperienced Roy Spamowitz is bitten by an April Fool's
    joke.

    What a surprise!

+ Reply to Thread