[News] Richard Stallman Gives Talk, Google Still GPL Shy - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Richard Stallman Gives Talk, Google Still GPL Shy - Linux ; Richard Stallman, Live and Unplugged ,----[ Quote ] | It’s almost 8 PM on a Tuesday night, and the lecture hall here at Virginia | Tech University is filled nearly to capacity. The students – many of them | computer ...

  1. [News] Richard Stallman Gives Talk, Google Still GPL Shy

    Richard Stallman, Live and Unplugged

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It’s almost 8 PM on a Tuesday night, and the lecture hall here at Virginia
    | Tech University is filled nearly to capacity. The students – many of them
    | computer science majors – have come to hear Richard Stallman, the grand
    | forefather of GNU/Linux. The crowd is chatty and seems in a good mood.
    `----

    http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osr...le.php/3737586

    Google blocking AGPL in Google Code

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So, first AGPL was not good enough for Google because it was not
    | OSI-approved. That limited its popularity... Now it is OSI-approved. Still,
    | it is not popular enough to be accepted in the Google closed open source
    | hosting site?
    |
    | And, by the way, why should people put their open source code in the hands of
    | someone who likes open source only when it does good to its business (ehm,
    | that could include me, but we are not talking about me, are we ;-) ?
    |
    | C'mon Chris, give developers the ability of using AGPL for their own projects
    | in Google Code. Your fight for no proliferation of licenses is something I
    | subscribe to, but AGPL is the license of the future, no matter if Google
    | likes it or not. And I can guarantee you it will become even more popular if
    | it is accepted in Google Code...
    `----

    http://www.funambol.com/blog/capo/20...ogle-code.html

    "If the operating system is in fact a natural monopoly, then what could be
    better than having an operating system that nobody owns?"

    --James Love

    Related:

    GPL author: Google must share code

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Companies like Google that build their business on software such as
    | Linux have a moral imperative to contribute back to the free
    | software community, a prominent open source advocate said Tuesday.
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...rss-linux-news
    http://tinyurl.com/2x5dvf

    Funambol Helps New AGPLv3 Open Source License Gain Formal OSI Approval

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | March 13, 2008 - Funambol, the leading provider of Mobile 2.0 messaging
    | software powered by open source, today announced that the AGPLv3 has received
    | formal approval by the Open Source Initiative (OSI). Funambol led the process
    | of the license's approval by the OSI after adopting AGPLv3 in November. It
    | was the first company to adopt the license, which closes the "ASP loophole". * *
    `----

    http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/10466.html

    Census started for enterprise open source use

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Intended as a pluggable architecture for organizations to provide their own
    | fingerprint rules and identify open source packages, OSS Discovery is
    | licensed under the new Affero GPLv3 (AGPLv3) for open source SaaS. *
    `----

    http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...en-source-use/

    Funambol Is First Major Commercial OpenSource Company To Support AGPLv3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Funambol, the leading provider of mobile 2.0 messaging software powered by
    | open source, today announced it has adopted GNU AGPLv3. This makes Funambol
    | the first major commercial open source software company to adopt the license
    | that was just released by the Free Software Foundation. Funambol adopted
    | AGPLv3 because the company views it as a major open source license of the
    | future. * * *
    `----

    http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...e,230442.shtml

  2. Re: [News] Richard Stallman Gives Talk, Big Belly Linked Too Dementia

    Alexander Terekhov writes:

    > He speaks of the time he gave a speech in Spain and his host gave him a
    > CD of local music – but the disc had DRM. He gave it back. “If I can’t
    > copy it, I don’t want it.”

    What world does this man inhabit? I thank him for emacs. I slap him for
    his ridiculous notions about being able to copy other people work. In
    the real world people steal things that are not locked down.

  3. Re: [News] Richard Stallman Gives Talk, Big Belly Linked Too Dementia

    "Hadron" wrote in message

    > Alexander Terekhov writes:
    >>
    >> He speaks of the time he gave a speech in Spain and his host gave him a
    >> CD of local music - but the disc had DRM. He gave it back. "If I can't
    >> copy it, I don't want it."

    > What world does this man inhabit? I thank him for emacs. I slap him for
    > his ridiculous notions about being able to copy other people work. In
    > the real world people steal things that are not locked down.

    Here'a gem from the article.

    When he walks in, he points to a table full of knick-knacks for sale - his
    book, some buttons and t-shirts. Among the items is a small stuffed GNU, a
    teddy bear-like doll.

    He gestures toward the GNUs and makes his sales pitch. "We have GNUs," he
    announces loudly.

    I would LOVE it if someone were selling (or giving away) free counterfeit
    copies of his book or t-shirts. Would he complain about that?

  4. Re: [News] Richard Stallman Gives Talk, Big Belly Linked Too Dementia

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 18:02:26 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Alexander Terekhov writes:
    >>
    >> He speaks of the time he gave a speech in Spain and his host gave him a
    >> CD of local music V but the disc had DRM. He gave it back. If I cant
    >> copy it, I dont want it.

    > What world does this man inhabit? I thank him for emacs. I slap him for
    > his ridiculous notions about being able to copy other people work. In
    > the real world people steal things that are not locked down.

    Not only that but he obviously has no manners.
    The correct thing to do it take the gift and thank the giver.
    Then if you don't like lit, toss it in the trash later on when you get
    home.

    But of course being a Linux loon, albeit a very intelligent Linux loon, he
    has no idea of proper etiquette.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: [News] Richard Stallman Gives Talk, Google Still GPL Shy

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:26:12 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Richard Stallman, Live and Unplugged

    and evidently unwashed as well.....

    http://www.abiword.org/~abi/expo99/expo_02_010_full.jpg

    --