[News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux? - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux? - Linux ; Dear Distros: Embrace USB Installs!!! ,----[ Quote ] | A while ago I purchased a new laptop. I carry it everywhere, and I've had | several lead bricks in the past, so I opted for something small and light. | ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

  1. [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    Dear Distros: Embrace USB Installs!!!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A while ago I purchased a new laptop. I carry it everywhere, and I've had
    | several lead bricks in the past, so I opted for something small and light.
    | The Fujitsu T2010 has been one of the best electronic gadgets I have ever
    | owned. I have not regretted my choice for a second, which is odd for me.
    `----

    http://groundstate.ca/node/1232

    KDE prettified a little:

    Setting up a nice looking KDE - For Beginners

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | KDE is my preferred choice of desktop and every time I install a distribution
    | I spend around an hour customizing it to my taste. Most of the distributions
    | provide customized KDE but most of the customization go into the functional
    | aspect of KDE(which should be the case) . This guide does not intent to point
    | out to a specific choice but rather tells what can be done with a fresh KDE.
    `----

    http://planetoss.com/detail.php?id=9

    Related:

    Automated Installer for USB Flash Thumbdrives

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This tool will automate the installation of Debian GNU/Linux onto a USB
    | Flash Media.
    `----

    http://feraga.com/project/autoinstaller

    Mandriva Flash 2008 First Look

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Both the Metisse and Compiz Fusion 3D desktops worked well on the laptop, but
    | were disabled on the old desktop. I'm not sure why people really want 3D
    | desktops, however: it's just eye-candy. *
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/stratdev...iva_flash.html

    Mandriva Flash 2008: Bigger and better

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While several other distros are designed specifically to run off external USB
    | drives, Mandriva Flash still offers a good alternative worth paying for.
    | First of all, you don't have to get your hands dirty installing a Linux
    | distro on a USB stick and spend time configuring it. Unlike other distros,
    | Mandriva Flash offers a full-featured desktop with all the frills and fancy *
    | trimmings, including 3-D desktop effects. * *
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/122980

    New 2008 Mandriva Flash 4GB Released today

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mandriva today introduced the 2008 Mandriva Flash 4GB, the newest member of
    | the Mandriva Flash family that lets you take your entire desktop with you
    | wherever you go. 2008 Mandriva Flash includes a new functionnality: ezBoot
    | which reboots under Linux without going through BIOS settings, and the double
    | utilization of Windows and Linux system. * *
    `----

    http://www.mandriva.com/enterprise/e...released-today

  2. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:29:33 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Dear Distros: Embrace USB Installs!!!
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| A while ago I purchased a new laptop. I carry it everywhere, and I've had
    >| several lead bricks in the past, so I opted for something small and light.
    >| The Fujitsu T2010 has been one of the best electronic gadgets I have ever
    >| owned. I have not regretted my choice for a second, which is odd for me.
    > `----
    >
    > http://groundstate.ca/node/1232

    Yes, you can.

    Use Bart PE to create a bootable disk image that can be burned to CD if you
    want, then afterwords use a tool to convert to USB image.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/...n_your_pocket/

  3. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > Dear Distros: Embrace USB Installs!!!
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | A while ago I purchased a new laptop. I carry it everywhere, and I've
    > had
    > | several lead bricks in the past, so I opted for something small and
    > light.
    > | The Fujitsu T2010 has been one of the best electronic gadgets I have
    > ever
    > | owned. I have not regretted my choice for a second, which is odd for me.
    > `----

    > Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    Of course you can. I do it all the time. But in practice carrying an OS
    around on a USB stick is fairly useless. At least for me.

    * Reboot computer.
    * Enter BIOS.
    * Change boot order to make sure USB is on the list.
    * Reboot computer.
    * Slooow boot from the USB stick.

    Computers already have a fast hard drive. Why not use it instead of a slow
    USB drive.

  4. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    "Ezekiel" writes:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> Dear Distros: Embrace USB Installs!!!
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | A while ago I purchased a new laptop. I carry it everywhere, and I've
    >> had
    >> | several lead bricks in the past, so I opted for something small and
    >> light.
    >> | The Fujitsu T2010 has been one of the best electronic gadgets I have
    >> ever
    >> | owned. I have not regretted my choice for a second, which is odd for me.
    >> `----

    >> Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    > Of course you can. I do it all the time. But in practice carrying an OS
    > around on a USB stick is fairly useless. At least for me.
    >
    > * Reboot computer.
    > * Enter BIOS.
    > * Change boot order to make sure USB is on the list.
    > * Reboot computer.
    > * Slooow boot from the USB stick.
    >
    > Computers already have a fast hard drive. Why not use it instead of a slow
    > USB drive.

    These guys like swinging their key chains around like 2nd years at big
    school. The more OSs on the key chain the more likely to breed I guess.

    --
    Debian is like Suse with yast turned off, just better.
    -- Goswin Brederlow

  5. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    "Hadron" wrote in message
    > "Ezekiel" writes:
    >
    >> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>> Dear Distros: Embrace USB Installs!!!
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> had
    >>> light.
    >>> ever
    >>> me.
    >>> `----

    >>> Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    >> Of course you can. I do it all the time. But in practice carrying an OS
    >> around on a USB stick is fairly useless. At least for me.
    >>
    >> * Reboot computer.
    >> * Enter BIOS.
    >> * Change boot order to make sure USB is on the list.
    >> * Reboot computer.
    >> * Slooow boot from the USB stick.
    >>
    >> Computers already have a fast hard drive. Why not use it instead of a
    >> slow
    >> USB drive.

    > These guys like swinging their key chains around like 2nd years at big
    > school. The more OSs on the key chain the more likely to breed I guess.

    When I first got my 4-Gig USB drive I thought it would be so neat to put a
    bootable OS on there. So I spent a night setting everything up and voilla...
    I could boot my laptop from the USB drive.

    Kind of neat to see it work but I've never used it after that. It's all
    rather pointless. A fun exercise/project but for me at least, there's no
    practical benefit to it.

    Since then I reformatted the drive and now use it occasionally to lug
    files/data around between home and work.

    > --
    > Debian is like Suse with yast turned off, just better.
    > -- Goswin Brederlow

  6. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    Maybe (or maybe not) but WHO GIVES A F*CK??????

  7. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > Dear Distros: Embrace USB Installs!!!
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | A while ago I purchased a new laptop. I carry it everywhere, and I've
    > had
    > | several lead bricks in the past, so I opted for something small and
    > light.
    > | The Fujitsu T2010 has been one of the best electronic gadgets I have
    > ever
    > | owned. I have not regretted my choice for a second, which is odd for me.
    > `----
    >
    > http://groundstate.ca/node/1232

    Obviously this is something that linux lacks. But don't worry about accuracy
    or facts Roy Schestowitz. Gotta keep those post number$ up there to get
    paid.

    From the article:

    Neither of my favorite distros runs 100% on it though, (hardware not
    supported?) so I keep switching between them. (The famous distro shuffle)
    But to add insult to injury, neither is embracing non-CD installs. (So you
    can't install linux from a USB)

    Mandriva: the easiest way to do a low-bandwidth GNOME install is via
    live-cd. Yet even though Mandriva has marketed and sold its own ("Flash")
    USB flash distro, there is currently no way to install the live image from
    USB. Grrr!

    Fedora: the live CD is currently broken for my hardware (surprise-surprise)
    AND they recently dropped the .img files required to install either over the
    network. One can do a net install, but only from an .iso.

    Hey both of you -- all current and modern distros should offer both:
    1. a bootable image to install over the network
    2. a live image for USB sticks or which can be converted to a USB stick

    End venting. I feel better now.

  8. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:29:33 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Dear Distros: Embrace USB Installs!!!

    Who cares?

    At 0.6 percent of desktop market evidently no too many people care about
    Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 11:39:10 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:29:33 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Dear Distros: Embrace USB Installs!!!
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| A while ago I purchased a new laptop. I carry it everywhere, and I've had
    >>| several lead bricks in the past, so I opted for something small and light.
    >>| The Fujitsu T2010 has been one of the best electronic gadgets I have ever
    >>| owned. I have not regretted my choice for a second, which is odd for me.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://groundstate.ca/node/1232

    > Yes, you can.
    >
    > Use Bart PE to create a bootable disk image that can be burned to CD if you
    > want, then afterwords use a tool to convert to USB image.
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/...n_your_pocket/

    Great program.
    I've never used it on a key though.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive LikeGNU/Linux?

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 11:39:10 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:29:33 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Dear Distros: Embrace USB Installs!!!
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| A while ago I purchased a new laptop. I carry it everywhere, and I've
    >>had | several lead bricks in the past, so I opted for something small
    >>and light. | The Fujitsu T2010 has been one of the best electronic
    >>gadgets I have ever | owned. I have not regretted my choice for a
    >>second, which is odd for me.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://groundstate.ca/node/1232

    > Yes, you can.
    >
    > Use Bart PE to create a bootable disk image that can be burned to CD if
    > you want, then afterwords use a tool to convert to USB image.
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/...n_your_pocket/

    Now try posting the files and image for a preconfigured USB tool to the
    Internet where others can use it and can join in refining it. Try
    stripping the OS down to the bare bones at the source-code level and
    tweaking it to make it run efficiently off a USB drive. Try using it on
    machines other than the one the Windows OS and any applications with
    WPA-like schemes are legally licensed to and locked to.

    Also, unless something has changed recently, you're going to have to buy
    a license for the copy of Windows you install to the drive. That's
    because the Windows EULA requires you to purchase a license for each
    Windows INSTALLATION even if they're all to run on the same
    machine. That means that the license you used to install Windows to your
    HD can't legally be used to install that same Windows to a USB drive,
    not even if you intend to use the USB drive only on the same
    machine. (Site licenses may be an exception here, but how many Windows
    users have site licenses?)

  11. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    "netcat" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 11:39:10 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:29:33 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dear Distros: Embrace USB Installs!!!
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>>had | several lead bricks in the past, so I opted for something small
    >>>and light. | The Fujitsu T2010 has been one of the best electronic
    >>>gadgets I have ever | owned. I have not regretted my choice for a
    >>>second, which is odd for me.
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://groundstate.ca/node/1232

    >> Yes, you can.
    >>
    >> Use Bart PE to create a bootable disk image that can be burned to CD if
    >> you want, then afterwords use a tool to convert to USB image.
    >>
    >> http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/...n_your_pocket/

    > Now try posting the files and image for a preconfigured USB tool to the
    > Internet where others can use it and can join in refining it.

    Now try not moving the goal posts.

    > Try stripping the OS down to the bare bones at the source-code level and
    > tweaking it to make it run efficiently off a USB drive.

    Try not moving the goal posts for a change.

    > Try using it on machines other than the one the Windows OS and any
    > applications with
    > WPA-like schemes are legally licensed to and locked to.

    Try not moving the goal posts.

  12. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive LikeGNU/Linux?

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 12:20:01 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> Dear Distros: Embrace USB Installs!!!
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | A while ago I purchased a new laptop. I carry it everywhere, and I've
    >> had
    >> | several lead bricks in the past, so I opted for something small and
    >> light.
    >> | The Fujitsu T2010 has been one of the best electronic gadgets I have
    >> ever
    >> | owned. I have not regretted my choice for a second, which is odd for
    >> me. `----

    >> Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    > Of course you can. I do it all the time. But in practice carrying an OS
    > around on a USB stick is fairly useless. At least for me.
    >
    > * Reboot computer.
    > * Enter BIOS.
    > * Change boot order to make sure USB is on the list. * Reboot computer.
    > * Slooow boot from the USB stick.

    * Violate Windows EULA

    > Computers already have a fast hard drive. Why not use it instead of a
    > slow USB drive.

    Because that's not always an option. My Linux bootable USB drive is a
    system backup, an instantly runnable system if I don't have time to do a
    restore right away, a keychain-portable system containing my favorite OS
    and all my applications for when I don't have the laptop with me, a
    diagnostics/repair tool that I use at home and when out visiting
    friends, and a Linux installer, too.

    Essential? No, but damned handy and with Linux it's easy enough to make
    one.

  13. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    Micoshaft Fraudster Moshe Goldfarb wrote on behalf of half wits from
    Micoshaft Corporation:

    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:29:33 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Dear Distros: Embrace USB Installs!!!

    > Who cares?

    You do.

    > At 0.6 percent of desktop market evidently no too many people care about
    > Linux.

    You merely have to prove you have used approved statistics.
    Otherwise, your claims and techniques are fraudulent.

    Linux is distributed not sold.
    If you take press releases of Linux installs, then it is running
    at least 1 million+ Linux desktop installs per month.
    Embedded Linux is selling at least 3 million embedded Linux devices PER DAY.

    Thats a lot of Linux advocacy done by people with their feet and their
    wallets. Some $200 billion+ last year in revenues. Linux has created
    a lot of millionairs.

    Search www.youtube.com for compiz and beryl and see videos
    of much more superior technology at work.
    Its all free and you can download and install to your PC today.

    Its all free to download, copy and install any time you want
    and comes with source code to modify to heart's content!

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

  14. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive LikeGNU/Linux?

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 14:11:12 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "netcat" wrote in message

    >>> Yes, you can.
    >>>
    >>> Use Bart PE to create a bootable disk image that can be burned to CD
    >>> if you want, then afterwords use a tool to convert to USB image.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/...n_your_pocket/

    >> Now try posting the files and image for a preconfigured USB tool to the
    >> Internet where others can use it and can join in refining it.

    > Now try not moving the goal posts.

    Try refuting the point.

    >> Try stripping the OS down to the bare bones at the source-code level
    >> and tweaking it to make it run efficiently off a USB drive.

    > Try not moving the goal posts for a change.

    Try refuting the point.

    >> Try using it on machines other than the one the Windows OS and any
    >> applications with WPA-like schemes are legally licensed to and locked
    >> to.

    > Try not moving the goal posts.

    Try refuting the point.

  15. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    "7" schreef in bericht
    > Micoshaft Fraudster Moshe Goldfarb wrote on behalf of half wits from
    > Micoshaft Corporation:
    >
    >> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:29:33 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dear Distros: Embrace USB Installs!!!

    >> Who cares?

    > You do.
    >
    >> At 0.6 percent of desktop market evidently no too many people care about
    >> Linux.

    > You merely have to prove you have used approved statistics.
    > Otherwise, your claims and techniques are fraudulent.
    >
    > Linux is distributed not sold.

    What about Redhat?
    https://www.redhat.com/wapps/store/c...k3tq3b5s.www02

    > If you take press releases of Linux installs, then it is running
    > at least 1 million+ Linux desktop installs per month.
    > Embedded Linux is selling at least 3 million embedded Linux devices PER
    > DAY.

    Thanks again Joseph Michael, you proved my point!
    <"7", the laughing stock of usenet!>
    --
    NetKKKop, NetK00k and King of All Retards, "7" AKA Joseph Michael.

  16. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    "7" wrote in message

    > Search www.youtube.com for compiz and beryl and see videos
    > of much more superior technology at work.
    > Its all free and you can download and install to your PC today.

    Sorry, don't follow. How does fancy desktop effects equal superior
    technology? And all the fancy graphics effects in the world don't mean ****
    if you can't run necessary applications on it.

    Yes, compiz and beryl are cool and fun to play with but they don't make
    Linux any more useful if you have a need to run Windows applications.

  17. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive LikeGNU/Linux?

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 12:55:00 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> Dear Distros: Embrace USB Installs!!!
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | A while ago I purchased a new laptop. I carry it everywhere, and I've
    >> had
    >> | several lead bricks in the past, so I opted for something small and
    >> light.
    >> | The Fujitsu T2010 has been one of the best electronic gadgets I have
    >> ever
    >> | owned. I have not regretted my choice for a second, which is odd for
    >> me. `----
    >>
    >> http://groundstate.ca/node/1232
    >>

    > Obviously this is something that linux lacks. But don't worry about
    > accuracy or facts Roy Schestowitz. Gotta keep those post number$ up
    > there to get paid.
    >
    > From the article:
    >

    > Neither of my favorite distros runs 100% on it though, (hardware not
    > supported?) so I keep switching between them. (The famous distro
    > shuffle) But to add insult to injury, neither is embracing non-CD
    > installs. (So you can't install linux from a USB)

    Coulda' fooled me - the system I'm typing this on was installed from a
    USB drive.

    What the author probably means is that the two distros' installers
    weren't designed to install from a USB drive. However, Linux usually
    provides a dozen ways to skin any given cat. I installed Linux to a USB
    drive and then to install it to a hard drive, I just copy everything
    straight across to the HD, tweak fstab, install the grub bootloader to
    the HD, and reboot. That gives me a Linux configured exactly the way I
    want it, with all of my applications installed and configured. Most
    hardware configuration is taken care of automatically and the rest can
    be easily handled via the GUI using the Preferences and Administration
    menus.

  18. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    "Chupacabra" wrote in message
    > "7" wrote in message
    >
    >> Search www.youtube.com for compiz and beryl and see videos
    >> of much more superior technology at work.
    >> Its all free and you can download and install to your PC today.

    > Sorry, don't follow. How does fancy desktop effects equal superior
    > technology? And all the fancy graphics effects in the world don't mean
    > **** if you can't run necessary applications on it.
    >
    > Yes, compiz and beryl are cool and fun to play with but they don't make
    > Linux any more useful if you have a need to run Windows applications.

    Some of the dimmer bulbs here (like Joseph Michael aka "7") see the wobbling
    windows, a rotating cube with pretty colors and that basically covers their
    computer needs. It doesn't have to work or do anything useful. But it sure
    does look purdy.

  19. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    Ezekiel wrote:

    > Some of the dimmer bulbs here (like

    all the WinTrolls?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  20. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    OK wrote:

    > Maybe (or maybe not) but WHO GIVES A F*CK??????

    Apparently you do, or you wouldn't be spewing here 24/7.