[News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux? - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux? - Linux ; On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:48:13 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote: > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb > > wrote > on Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:28:18 -0400 > : >> On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 13:03:55 +0200, OK ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 43 of 43

  1. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:48:13 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:28:18 -0400
    > :
    >> On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 13:03:55 +0200, OK wrote:

    >>> Three weeks, actually. Vista grabs market share at a steady rate of
    >>> ~1%/month.

    >> I stand corrected!
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > OK, so Vista takes over the desktop market in 2 years
    > (1 year = 52 weeks).
    >
    > This to me sounds a tad optimistic.

    There is the leveling off effect of course.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Wed, 2 Apr 2008 13:02:41 -0400
    <1nr0b7c6p1w9i.u8co42g6wz4z$.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:48:13 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:28:18 -0400
    >> :

    >>> I stand corrected!
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>

    >> OK, so Vista takes over the desktop market in 2 years
    >> (1 year = 52 weeks).
    >>
    >> This to me sounds a tad optimistic.

    > There is the leveling off effect of course.

    One can compensate for that by using an exponential
    asymptote instead. Briefly, the adoption rate would be
    characterized as

    N(t) = N*(1 - exp(-k*t))
    where
    N = number of computers
    N(t) = number of adoptees
    k = some constant
    t = time since release

    It turns out we know DN(t)/dt = k*N*exp(-k*t) at time zero;
    this might be characterized as DN(0) = k*N = 0.01%.

    Ergo, k = 0.01, when expressed as ratio/week (or set N=1,
    which might be simpler). We can now solve, picking 0.95%
    of the target market for simplicity:

    0.95 = 1 - exp(-0.01 * t)
    0.05 = exp(-0.01 * t)
    t = -log(0.05) / 0.01 = 300 weeks or about 6 years.

    This means that Microsoft is going to have trouble,
    since this adoption rate is greater than the 3 years
    depreciation schedule.

    What this translates into regarding Linux adoption, of
    course, is far from clear; presumably OSX will attempt to
    fill in the gap, and depending on submarket FreeBSD might
    be a better choice.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/brain: Permission denied

  3. Re: [News] Can You Put Vista and Leopard on a Thumb Drive Like GNU/Linux?

    On 2008-04-01, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "netcat" wrote in message

    >>> Yes, you can.
    >>>
    >>> Use Bart PE to create a bootable disk image that can be burned to CD if
    >>> you want, then afterwords use a tool to convert to USB image.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/...n_your_pocket/

    >> Now try posting the files and image for a preconfigured USB tool to the
    >> Internet where others can use it and can join in refining it.

    Ok, then I will move them back.

    Let's see if you can punt or not...

    > Now try not moving the goal posts.

    Where can I download Bart PE?

    Is this the only equivalent win32 tool available?

    [deletia]

    --

    Metallica is not worth the ruination of someone |||
    who has pirated their music / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3