[News] Linux Kernel Built by 3,700 Developers, 3,621 Lines Per Day - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux Kernel Built by 3,700 Developers, 3,621 Lines Per Day - Linux ; Who Writes Linux? There Are a Lot of Unknowns ,----[ Quote ] | According to the report the number of active kernel developers has tripled | since 2005. All those developers are driving contributions of an average | 3,621 lines ...

  1. [News] Linux Kernel Built by 3,700 Developers, 3,621 Lines Per Day

    Who Writes Linux? There Are a Lot of Unknowns

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to the report the number of active kernel developers has tripled
    | since 2005. All those developers are driving contributions of an average
    | 3,621 lines of code per day, with new kernel releases coming out every 2.7
    | months.
    `----

    http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news...f+Unknowns.htm
    http://tinyurl.com/32cxpl

    Linux kernel community grows, but elite group remains

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Viro has contributed 1,571 changes to the kernel, which sits at the core of
    | the Linux operating system, over the past three years, according to a new
    | report from the Linux Foundation. That's more than any other individual
    | developer, the report states. In contrast, Torvalds, the kernel's creator and
    | steward, contributed 495 changes. Viro couldn't be reached for comment about
    | the report.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | But this group of coding superstars sails atop a roiling sea of newer
    | community members, notes Jim Zemlin, executive director of the Linux
    | Foundation. Roughly 3,700 developers from more than 200 companies have
    | contributed to the kernel since 2005, according to the report.
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...rss-linux-news

    "The number of developers working on improving Linux vastly exceeds the number
    of Microsoft developers working on Windows NT."

    --Paul Maritz, Microsoft

    Related:

    Linux contributor base broadens

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With more companies funding Linux work, the core hackers now delegate
    | 70% of the coding
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...utor-base.html

    Microsoft replaces Vista kernel in SP1

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Well the answer is yes it has, and presumably the main reason for Microsoft’s
    | silence on the subject is that as they’re keen to promote the improvements
    | and enhancements to Vista, rather than placing emphasis on a kernel upgrade,
    | which some people might see as a risk of newly-introduced instability. *
    `---- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    http://apcmag.com/7960/microsoft_rep..._kernel_in_SP1

  2. Re: [News] Linux Kernel Built by 3,700 Developers, 3,621 Lines Per Day

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:02:16 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Who Writes Linux? There Are a Lot of Unknowns

    Truer words are rarely ever uttered.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Linux Kernel Built by 3,700 Developers, 3,621 Lines Per Day

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > Who Writes Linux? There Are a Lot of Unknowns
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | According to the report the number of active kernel developers has
    > tripled
    > | since 2005. All those developers are driving contributions of an average
    > | 3,621 lines of code per day, with new kernel releases coming out every
    > 2.7
    > | months.
    > `----

    3700 developers. 3621 lines per day. That's less than one line of code per
    developer per day.

    And who's managing and overseeing this mess? Certainly you can't have a
    "team" of 3700 developers randomly deciding to write whatever code they fell
    like writing.

  4. Re: [News] Linux Kernel Built by 3,700 Developers, 3,621 Lines Per Day

    On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 12:24:11 -0400, "Ezekiel" wrote:

    >"Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> Who Writes Linux? There Are a Lot of Unknowns
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | According to the report the number of active kernel developers has
    >> tripled
    >> | since 2005. All those developers are driving contributions of an average
    >> | 3,621 lines of code per day, with new kernel releases coming out every
    >> 2.7
    >> | months.
    >> `----

    >3700 developers. 3621 lines per day. That's less than one line of code per
    >developer per day.
    >
    >And who's managing and overseeing this mess? Certainly you can't have a
    >"team" of 3700 developers randomly deciding to write whatever code they fell
    >like writing.

    The coolest things probably gets the most attention and the most
    boring ones (like removing the infamous Big Kernel Lock or making
    things *actually* work, like power management (suspend/resume), audio,
    plug and play etc) are perpetually relegated to the bottom of the
    list.

    One line/dev/day is the most funniest joke heard so far about Linux,
    beside's Linux shortest joke ("It works for me"), of course.

  5. Re: [News] Linux Kernel Built by 3,700 Developers, 3,621 Lines Per Day

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Tue, 1 Apr 2008 11:35:49 -0400
    :
    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:02:16 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Who Writes Linux? There Are a Lot of Unknowns

    > Truer words are rarely ever uttered.

    But of course. Naturally everyone knows who wrote the
    code for Excel, right?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Error 16: Not enough space on file system to delete file(s)

  6. Re: [News] Linux Kernel Built by 3,700 Developers, 3,621 Lines Per Day

    OK writes:

    > On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 12:24:11 -0400, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >

    >>"Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>> Who Writes Linux? There Are a Lot of Unknowns
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> tripled
    >>> 2.7
    >>> `----

    >>3700 developers. 3621 lines per day. That's less than one line of code per
    >>developer per day.
    >>
    >>And who's managing and overseeing this mess? Certainly you can't have a
    >>"team" of 3700 developers randomly deciding to write whatever code they fell
    >>like writing.

    > The coolest things probably gets the most attention and the most
    > boring ones (like removing the infamous Big Kernel Lock or making
    > things *actually* work, like power management (suspend/resume), audio,
    > plug and play etc) are perpetually relegated to the bottom of the
    > list.
    >
    > One line/dev/day is the most funniest joke heard so far about Linux,
    > beside's Linux shortest joke ("It works for me"), of course.

    Don't forget Gregory Shearman's claim that implementing a good,
    consistent UI is a waste of a programmers time and effort too.

    --
    XP is a flop and when users are still asking for W98 it shows that they
    aren't all taken in with the MS hype.

  7. Re: [News] Linux Kernel Built by 3,700 Developers, 3,621 Lines Per Day

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 1 Apr 2008 11:35:49 -0400
    > :
    >> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:02:16 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Who Writes Linux? There Are a Lot of Unknowns

    >> Truer words are rarely ever uttered.
    >>

    > But of course. Naturally everyone knows who wrote the
    > code for Excel, right?

    Excel was written by developer type people. linux? Who knows what they were.

    > --
    > #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    > Error 16: Not enough space on file system to delete file(s)

    Fix you sig so it strips.

  8. Re: [News] Linux Kernel Built by 3,700 Developers, 3,621 Lines Per Day

    On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 09:16:23 -0800, Julie wrote:

    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 1 Apr 2008 11:35:49 -0400
    >> :

    >>> Truer words are rarely ever uttered.
    >>>

    >> But of course. Naturally everyone knows who wrote the
    >> code for Excel, right?

    > Excel was written by developer type people. linux? Who knows what they were.
    >

    >> --
    >> #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    >> Error 16: Not enough space on file system to delete file(s)

    > Fix you sig so it strips.

    Here they are:
    http://www.abiword.org/~abi/expo99/expo_02_010_full.jpg

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/fcb/689...n/set-1485493/

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KcYPwgI8_c

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: [News] Linux Kernel Built by 3,700 Developers, 3,621 Lines Per Day

    "Julie" wrote in message
    news:47f2626b$0$29827$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 1 Apr 2008 11:35:49 -0400
    >> :

    >>> Truer words are rarely ever uttered.
    >>>

    >> But of course. Naturally everyone knows who wrote the
    >> code for Excel, right?

    > Excel was written by developer type people. linux? Who knows what they
    > were.

    :-)

  10. Re: [News] Linux Kernel Built by 3,700 Developers, 3,621 Lines Per Day

    Julie wrote:

    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 1 Apr 2008 11:35:49 -0400
    >> :

    >>> Truer words are rarely ever uttered.
    >>>

    >> But of course. Naturally everyone knows who wrote the
    >> code for Excel, right?

    > Excel was written by developer type people. linux? Who knows what they
    > were.

    What are "developer type people" and where can Microsoft find some of those?
    They must surely need them, according to you.

    Cheers.

    --

    A US president declared war on poverty. Poverty won.
    Another US president declared a war on drugs. Drugs won.

  11. Re: [News] Linux Kernel Built by 3,700 Developers, 3,621 Lines Per Day

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Julie

    wrote
    on Tue, 1 Apr 2008 09:16:23 -0800
    <47f2626b$0$29827$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 1 Apr 2008 11:35:49 -0400
    >> :

    >>> Truer words are rarely ever uttered.
    >>>

    >> But of course. Naturally everyone knows who wrote the
    >> code for Excel, right?

    > Excel was written by developer type people.
    > linux? Who knows what they were.

    You're right; they must have been drug-addled hippies
    who smoked multiple joints (laced with formaldehyde,
    arsenic, plutonium, and who knows what else) as they
    were randomly banging on their keyboards.

    Oh yeah, and strychnine and botulism toxin extract.

    >> --
    >> #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    >> Error 16: Not enough space on file system to delete file(s)

    > Fix you sig so it strips.

    Teranews likes to fix it for me. :-P Not a lot I can do about that
    except completely remove it.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. An OS which actually, unlike certain other offerings, works.