Linux hits 6.1% on March! - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux hits 6.1% on March! - Linux ; The Ghost In The Machine wrote: > I would think that the question of whether a web designer > should have the choice of excluding 5%[*] or so of his > potential browsers is an interesting one. *It may depend ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 383

  1. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > I would think that the question of whether a web designer
    > should have the choice of excluding 5%[*] or so of his
    > potential browsers is an interesting one. *It may depend
    > on the competitiveness of his desired market; if he decides
    > to exclude non-Windows browsers and his competitors don't,
    > and he is not the market leader, he'll probably get some
    > rather bad press from it all.

    Yes, the Australian Tax Office took the line that because most people used
    windows then a windows-base solution to online tax returns was adequate.

    I wonder if they take the same line with their vision-impaired customers?

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  2. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 23:20:32 +0200 (CEST), Anonymous wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>
    >>> That's a Roy Schestowitz administered site so I will not go there for
    >>> fear of getting a virus or trojan or something.

    >> Run Linux. You won't have to worry.

    > Sure.
    >
    > Tell that to Roy Schestowitz who had his LINUX based website hacked and
    > 0wned a couple of weeks ago.
    >

    >>> My advice to anyone is to use the OS that supports the applications you
    >>> need to run.

    >> Linux runs all the applications you need to run.

    > No it doesn't.
    > And it doesn't for a vast number of people which is why virtually nobody
    > is using it as a desktop system.
    >

    >> Except for "viruses or trojans or something".
    >>
    >> *snicker*

    > See Roy Schestowitz who had a trojan embedded in his website and was
    > infecting God knows how many users who visted him.

    Surely you mean Windoze users? If that is the case, maybe it was there on
    purpose? So how many hours did it take for you to clean the virus off your
    toy operating system? Was it fun Mr. Soap Suds?

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    alt.os.linux.ubuntu - where the lunatic Hadron is a "Linux advocate"

  3. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 17:35:31 -0700, NoStop wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Run Linux. You won't have to worry.

    >> Sure.
    >>
    >> Tell that to Roy Schestowitz who had his LINUX based website hacked and
    >> 0wned a couple of weeks ago.

    >>> Linux runs all the applications you need to run.

    >> No it doesn't.
    >> And it doesn't for a vast number of people which is why virtually nobody
    >> is using it as a desktop system.
    >>

    >>> Except for "viruses or trojans or something".
    >>>
    >>> *snicker*

    >> See Roy Schestowitz who had a trojan embedded in his website and was
    >> infecting God knows how many users who visted him.
    >>

    > Surely you mean Windoze users? If that is the case, maybe it was there on
    > purpose? So how many hours did it take for you to clean the virus off your
    > toy operating system? Was it fun Mr. Soap Suds?
    >
    > Cheers.

    You're obviously a moron.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    NoStop wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Run Linux. You won't have to worry.

    >> Sure.
    >>
    >> Tell that to Roy Schestowitz who had his LINUX based website hacked
    >> and 0wned a couple of weeks ago.

    >>> Linux runs all the applications you need to run.

    >> No it doesn't.
    >> And it doesn't for a vast number of people which is why virtually
    >> nobody is using it as a desktop system.
    >>

    >>> Except for "viruses or trojans or something".
    >>>
    >>> *snicker*

    >> See Roy Schestowitz who had a trojan embedded in his website and was
    >> infecting God knows how many users who visted him.
    >>

    > Surely you mean Windoze users? If that is the case, maybe it was
    > there on purpose? So how many hours did it take for you to clean the
    > virus off your toy operating system? Was it fun Mr. Soap Suds?
    >
    > Cheers.

    Windows users wouldn't visit Roy's site for any reason.
    It took Roy a few days to clean it up.
    No Windows users were infected.

  5. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    chrisv wrote:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Sure.
    >>>
    >>> Tell that to Roy Schestowitz who had his LINUX based website hacked
    >>> and 0wned a couple of weeks ago.

    >>> No it doesn't.
    >>> And it doesn't for a vast number of people which is why virtually
    >>> nobody is using it as a desktop system.

    >>> See Roy Schestowitz who had a trojan embedded in his website and was
    >>> infecting God knows how many users who visted him.
    >>>

    >> Surely you mean Windoze users? If that is the case, maybe it was
    >> there on purpose? So how many hours did it take for you to clean the
    >> virus off your toy operating system? Was it fun Mr. Soap Suds?
    >>
    >> Cheers.

    > Windows users wouldn't visit Roy's site for any reason.
    > It took Roy a few days to clean it up.
    > No Windows users were infected.

    Well obviously Mr. Soap Suds visited it and it runs Windoze.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    alt.os.linux.ubuntu - where the lunatic Hadron is a "Linux advocate"

  6. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    NoStop wrote:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >

    >>NoStop wrote:

    >>>Surely you mean Windoze users? If that is the case, maybe it was
    >>>there on purpose? So how many hours did it take for you to clean the
    >>>virus off your toy operating system? Was it fun Mr. Soap Suds?
    >>>
    >>>Cheers.

    >>Windows users wouldn't visit Roy's site for any reason.
    >>It took Roy a few days to clean it up.
    >>No Windows users were infected.

    > Well obviously Mr. Soap Suds visited it and it runs Windoze.
    >
    > Cheers.

    His linux server got hacked!...LOL!
    That's wonderful, don't you think so...LOL!
    Frank

  7. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    dennis@home wrote:

    > "Josef Moellers" wrote in message

    >> Why can't Microsoft use existing standards (ODF)

    > M$ decided it wasn't extensible enough AFAIK. I am not an expert so I
    > couldn't be sure.

    MS has a long track record of having to invent new formats for their
    files: audio formats (WMA) and video formats (WMV) spring to my mind.
    And all these formats are kept secret, so interoperability is impossible.
    Since Office is their bread-and-butter product (afaik, most of their
    revenue comes from Office), there is concern that OOXML will follow in
    their tracks.

    >> but had to force yet another standard (OOXML) which will continue to
    >> make documents unaccessible to those *not* using their programs? Most
    >> likely, OOXML will become the default file format when storing office
    >> documents and most likeley people will just click "Save" rather than
    >> first select a different format.

    > But as the OOXML format is an iso standard anyone can read or write it.
    > If other developers don't support it then blame them. All the other
    > formats have been published too.

    This appears not to be true.
    Apparently having a file format accepted as a standard does not mean
    that everyone is free to use it, most of all to create files using it.
    For one, Microsoft has chosen to specify MP3 as *the* audio format
    within documents, and the MP3 format is still covered by patents
    (http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...80310153345250).

    Josef
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  8. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    dennis@home wrote:

    > However it should be the web site owners choice.

    I really do wonder if web designers really choose to keep non-IE users
    out or if this just comes with the tools they use. I doubt that my
    cousin from down under deliberately uses DOC files to keep me from
    reading her mails (or at least having to go into great lengths to do so).

    Microsoft has a track record of trying everything to keep competitors
    out. As long as there is *real* competition, this is OK: just chose
    another vendor. However, with the market domination Microsoft has, even
    official bodies worry about this and start antitrust investigations.

    I just wish Microsoft would use their power with more conscience, or, as
    someone in a move once said: "With great power comes great responsibility".
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  9. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:20:54 +0200, Josef Moellers wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Noble, however most people just want to get work done not go on some
    >>> religious pilgrimage.

    >> BTW I wasn't fishing for compliments, I was trying to say that even
    >> without a multi-billion advertising campaign, even with the windo
    >> ocasionally blowing right into our faces, at least one in 163 desktops
    >> is running Linux!

    > Linux desktop useage hovers areoun 0.6 percent.
    > The BBC pegged it at 0.8 percent, which I think is a little high.
    >
    > After 10+ years and considering Linux is free, that's pathetic.

    And your counter-argument is?

    Again: even without a multi-billion advertising campaign (how much did
    Microsoft spend on advertising XP?) and some heavy bullying, Linux runs
    on (at least) one in 166 desktops!

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  10. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:58:59 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    > But as the OOXML format is an iso standard anyone can read or write it.

    Anyone who has time to read, comprehend, and retain over 6000 pages of
    specification.

  11. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 16:48:14 -0800, chrisv wrote:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Sure.
    >>>
    >>> Tell that to Roy Schestowitz who had his LINUX based website hacked
    >>> and 0wned a couple of weeks ago.

    >>> No it doesn't.
    >>> And it doesn't for a vast number of people which is why virtually
    >>> nobody is using it as a desktop system.

    >>> See Roy Schestowitz who had a trojan embedded in his website and was
    >>> infecting God knows how many users who visted him.
    >>>

    >> Surely you mean Windoze users? If that is the case, maybe it was
    >> there on purpose? So how many hours did it take for you to clean the
    >> virus off your toy operating system? Was it fun Mr. Soap Suds?
    >>
    >> Cheers.

    > Windows users wouldn't visit Roy's site for any reason.
    > It took Roy a few days to clean it up.
    > No Windows users were infected.

    And how do you know that for sure?
    You don't.
    Another idiotic supposition.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 18:30:07 -0700, NoStop wrote:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> NoStop wrote:

    >>> Surely you mean Windoze users? If that is the case, maybe it was
    >>> there on purpose? So how many hours did it take for you to clean the
    >>> virus off your toy operating system? Was it fun Mr. Soap Suds?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.

    >> Windows users wouldn't visit Roy's site for any reason.
    >> It took Roy a few days to clean it up.
    >> No Windows users were infected.

    > Well obviously Mr. Soap Suds visited it and it runs Windoze.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Wrong again Einstein.
    All of Roy's sites are blocked in my hosts file.
    I wouldn't go near a Schestowitz site if you paid me.

    BTW I also run Linux.
    PCLinuxOS in particular.

    Another person put up screen shots of Symantec finding the trojan on the
    site.

    Do yourself a favor, don't come to a gun fight with a pocket knife.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 22:07:21 -0700, Frank wrote:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >
    >> chrisv wrote:

    >>>Windows users wouldn't visit Roy's site for any reason.
    >>>It took Roy a few days to clean it up.
    >>>No Windows users were infected.

    >> Well obviously Mr. Soap Suds visited it and it runs Windoze.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > His linux server got hacked!...LOL!
    > That's wonderful, don't you think so...LOL!
    > Frank

    It was hysterical!

    That arrogant SOB, Roy Schestowitz was actually WARNED, weeks prior to the
    final assault on his schestowitz.com site, that something strange was going
    on when people visited the site.

    Of course being the arrogant, narcissistic dweeb that Roy Schestowitz is,
    he ignored it because "nothing can happen to me, I am Roy Schestowitz".

    Ultimately he got 0Wned and his home page was defaced.
    Someone else put up a screen shot of the trojan that had been embedded in
    Roy Schestowitz' site, www.schestowitz.com and that ws infecting users
    stupid enough to visit that site.

    Schestowitz also administers www.groklaw.com and a few other sites.

    God knows what they are infected with due to his ineptness.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:40:44 +0200, Josef Moellers wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> BTW I wasn't fishing for compliments, I was trying to say that even
    >>> without a multi-billion advertising campaign, even with the windo
    >>> ocasionally blowing right into our faces, at least one in 163 desktops
    >>> is running Linux!

    >> Linux desktop useage hovers areoun 0.6 percent.
    >> The BBC pegged it at 0.8 percent, which I think is a little high.
    >>
    >> After 10+ years and considering Linux is free, that's pathetic.
    >>

    > And your counter-argument is?
    >
    > Again: even without a multi-billion advertising campaign (how much did
    > Microsoft spend on advertising XP?) and some heavy bullying, Linux runs
    > on (at least) one in 166 desktops!

    I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find people still using OS/2.....
    And your counter argument is?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    >Windows users wouldn't visit Roy's site for any reason.

    Ignore the forger.

  16. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:40:44 +0200, Josef Moellers wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Linux desktop useage hovers areoun 0.6 percent.
    >>> The BBC pegged it at 0.8 percent, which I think is a little high.
    >>>
    >>> After 10+ years and considering Linux is free, that's pathetic.
    >>>

    >> And your counter-argument is?
    >>
    >> Again: even without a multi-billion advertising campaign (how much did
    >> Microsoft spend on advertising XP?) and some heavy bullying, Linux runs
    >> on (at least) one in 166 desktops!

    > I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find people still using OS/2.....

    Does OS/2 have 0,7% desktop market share?
    IIRC, OS/2 was advertised way back when it was still actively developed.
    (if necessary, I can dig through my back-copies of BYTE magazine).

    > And your counter argument is?

    Counter argument against what? If it has a 0.7% market share without
    multi-billion-$ advertising campaigns, it must be a good OS. IIRC some
    banking people still use it.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  17. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 14:51:38 +0200, Josef Moellers wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> And your counter-argument is?
    >>>
    >>> Again: even without a multi-billion advertising campaign (how much did
    >>> Microsoft spend on advertising XP?) and some heavy bullying, Linux runs
    >>> on (at least) one in 166 desktops!

    >> I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find people still using OS/2.....

    > Does OS/2 have 0,7% desktop market share?
    > IIRC, OS/2 was advertised way back when it was still actively developed.
    > (if necessary, I can dig through my back-copies of BYTE magazine).
    >
    > > And your counter argument is?

    > Counter argument against what? If it has a 0.7% market share without
    > multi-billion-$ advertising campaigns, it must be a good OS. IIRC some
    > banking people still use it.

    After 10 years, .7 percent is pathetic.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  18. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    * dennis@home peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > However it should be the web site owners choice.
    >
    > I wonder if lino (lino is an old fashioned oil based floor covering BTW) nut
    > understands why he wrote a load of cr@p yet?

    I ask, again, what crap? The OP said nothing about restricting choice
    in any shape, form, or fashion, yet dennis-the-menace claimed he did,
    and I corrected him.

    I guess the crap part dennis talks about is bothering to respond to a
    bit-wit like him in the first place?

    --
    I'm sorry that we have to have a Washington presence. We thrived during our
    first 16 years without any of this. I never made a political visit to

  19. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    dumbass@home wrote:

    >"NoStop" wrote:
    >
    >> Then why do Wintards like you feel so threatened, Mr. Soap Suds?

    >Why do *you* need to troll the vista groups, you started there before people
    >like frank came here in retaliation.

    Umm... You do know that it's anti-Linux Wintrolls who start these
    cross-postings, right, dumbass?

    >(snip dumbass lies and snot)

  20. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    dumbass@home wrote:

    >However it should be the web site owners choice.

    It is their choice, you dumb****, as long it's not an important
    Web-site that "the people" need to use.

    How many times does this need to be explained to you?