Linux hits 6.1% on March! - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux hits 6.1% on March! - Linux ; In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Christopher Hunter wrote on Tue, 06 May 2008 23:43:13 +0100 : > The Ghost In The Machine wrote: > >> Correct! Linux *qua* Linux can't even boot. Linux >> augmented with various utilities such as GRUB, GNU bash, ...

  1. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> Correct! Linux *qua* Linux can't even boot. Linux
    >> augmented with various utilities such as GRUB, GNU bash,
    >> and OpenOffice will boot and do useful things, but most
    >> people don't know the details and are scared of the code
    >> and in awe of Microsoft engineers.

    > Nobody should be in awe of MS' "engineers" - all the good ones left years
    > ago and all work on FOSS projects! MS have such a lack of programming
    > talent and ability that they're having to /buy/ a kernel for Windoze 7.
    >
    > Ten years ago the rot began to set in at MS. I can remember a /serious/
    > proposal in a strategy meeting to write "Office" applications like "Access"
    > in /Visual/ /Basic/ - the general level of ineptitude was astonishing!

    Actually, Visual Basic isn't that bad a language, except
    that it's generally untyped, somewhat like Javascript.
    Of course, that sword cuts two ways ("does this method
    exist on this object or not?") -- but the general effect
    might be construed as vaguely similar to Smalltalk, in
    the sense that

    obj.someMethod()

    will throw some sort of exception as opposed to crashing.

    However, GOSUB doesn't help, and that DIM syntax looks
    a bit peculiar. At least LET was let out.

    Not sure how obj.someMethod() relates to COM. I'll admit I
    prefer more strongly typed languages like Java, Python, C,
    or C++ -- better chance of catching those "oops, I passed
    in the wrong value/type" errors that occur on occasion.

    Not sure what Access does, either. The general idea I get
    from Amazon's site:
    http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-077-.../dp/B000HCVR12
    is that it is an "easy to use" front end for SQL Server or
    other such ODBC-compliant databases.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #40490127:
    for(; ;

  2. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Frank

    wrote
    on Tue, 06 May 2008 16:19:17 -0700
    <4820e771$0$4102$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>:
    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>

    >>>Correct! Linux *qua* Linux can't even boot. Linux
    >>>augmented with various utilities such as GRUB, GNU bash,
    >>>and OpenOffice will boot and do useful things, but most
    >>>people don't know the details and are scared of the code
    >>>and in awe of Microsoft engineers.

    >> Nobody should be in awe of MS' "engineers" - all the
    >> good ones left years ago and all work on FOSS projects!
    >> MS have such a lack of programming talent and ability that
    >> they're having to /buy/ a kernel for Windoze 7.
    >>
    >> Ten years ago the rot began to set in at MS. I can
    >> remember a /serious/ proposal in a strategy meeting to
    >> write "Office" applications like "Access" in /Visual/ /Basic/ -
    >> the general level of ineptitude was astonishing!
    >>
    >> C.
    >>

    > Damn! Have you ever thought about tell the truth you lying POS
    > euro-trash asshole loser?
    > Frank

    Where are the inaccuracies, then? Do point them out to correct the
    record.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "640K ought to be enough for anybody."
    - allegedly said by Bill Gates, 1981, but somebody had to make this up!

  3. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Frank

    wrote
    on Tue, 06 May 2008 16:17:18 -0700
    <4820e6fa$0$4102$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>:
    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Mush Goldbrick wrote:
    >>

    >>>Linux is just a huge PITA compared to Windows.

    >> *Wrong* - the /real/ PITA is Windoze...
    >>
    >> I just had to try "Vista", and I had a sacrificial machine here. I bought a
    >> copy of "Home Premium", and tried to install it. The test machine was an
    >> absolutely standard Dell box, with a P4, nVidia graphics and a sound card
    >> function built on to the main board.
    >>
    >> Vista kept whinging about driver compatibility, and no matter
    >> what /registered/ drivers I downloaded from the 'net, Vista kept on
    >> failing. On the seventeenth or eighteenth reboot, Vista failed to start.
    >> Nothing would get me beyond a black screen, so I re-installed it. I got is
    >> going with poor video resolution, and connected it to the 'net. This was a
    >> serious mistake. Within 2 minutes, the machine was being attacked, within
    >> a few minutes more it was compromised (as found when forensically analysing
    >> the wreckage)...
    >>
    >> After another couple of hours wasted with the Vista rubbish, I got out a PC
    >> Linux OS disk, and eleven minutes later, I had a fully working system,
    >> complete with a useful suite of programmes...
    >>
    >> All the hardware was correctly identified, and the appropriate drivers
    >> loaded. Unlike Windoze, the Linux distro was flawless.
    >>
    >> C.

    > You lying sack of euro-****!
    > Only your fellow fanatical zealots would ever believe your bull**** stories.
    > Get a life asshole and STOP YOUR FUKKIN LYING!!!
    > Frank

    This does feel like a pre-SP1 install. Presumably all of
    these Vista driver issues are now repaired.

    Presumably.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "640K ought to be enough for anybody."
    - allegedly said by Bill Gates, 1981, but somebody had to make this up!

  4. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >

    >>Correct! Linux *qua* Linux can't even boot. Linux
    >>augmented with various utilities such as GRUB, GNU bash,
    >>and OpenOffice will boot and do useful things, but most
    >>people don't know the details and are scared of the code
    >>and in awe of Microsoft engineers.

    > Nobody should be in awe of MS' "engineers" - all the good ones left years
    > ago and all work on FOSS projects! MS have such a lack of programming
    > talent and ability that they're having to /buy/ a kernel for Windoze 7.
    >
    > Ten years ago the rot began to set in at MS. I can remember a /serious/
    > proposal in a strategy meeting to write "Office" applications like "Access"
    > in /Visual/ /Basic/ - the general level of ineptitude was astonishing!
    >
    > C.

    How strange. You must have been the inept one. Did they fire your
    obviously incompetent stupid ass?
    I bet they did. Boy what blow to ones ego huh? A linux asshole like you
    being fired by MS.
    Who wielded the ax huh? I bet he/she really savored that moment. I know
    most who know you proly would...hahaha!
    Go any names to name?...LOL!
    Frank

    oh, a short history about access...

    "Access's initial codename was Cirrus; the forms engine was called Ruby.
    This was before Visual Basic - Bill Gates saw the prototypes and decided
    that the BASIC language component should be co-developed as a separate
    expandable application, a project called Thunder. The two projects were
    developed separately as the underlying forms engines were incompatible
    with each other; however, these were merged together again after VBA."

  5. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    * Frank peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Nobody should be in awe of MS' "engineers" - all the good ones left years
    >> ago and all work on FOSS projects! MS have such a lack of programming
    >> talent and ability that they're having to /buy/ a kernel for Windoze 7.
    >>
    >> Ten years ago the rot began to set in at MS. I can remember a /serious/
    >> proposal in a strategy meeting to write "Office" applications like "Access"
    >> in /Visual/ /Basic/ - the general level of ineptitude was astonishing!

    How so? Has MS been working on writing an OS in .NET or C#?

    > Damn! Have you ever thought about tell the truth you lying POS
    > euro-trash asshole loser?

    You were in that meeting too? Or are you just quoting Bill Gates?

    --
    We always overestimate the change that will occur in the next two years and
    underestimate the change that will occur in the next ten. Don't let yourself

  6. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Linonut writes:

    > * Frank peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >>
    >>> Nobody should be in awe of MS' "engineers" - all the good ones left years
    >>> ago and all work on FOSS projects! MS have such a lack of programming
    >>> talent and ability that they're having to /buy/ a kernel for Windoze 7.
    >>>
    >>> Ten years ago the rot began to set in at MS. I can remember a /serious/
    >>> proposal in a strategy meeting to write "Office" applications like "Access"
    >>> in /Visual/ /Basic/ - the general level of ineptitude was astonishing!

    > How so? Has MS been working on writing an OS in .NET or C#?
    >
    >> Damn! Have you ever thought about tell the truth you lying POS
    >> euro-trash asshole loser?

    > You were in that meeting too? Or are you just quoting Bill Gates?

    Good old Liarnut. He believes some windbag like Chunt much against any
    common sense.

  7. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Linonut writes:

    > * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Your ineptitude is noted.

    > So is yours -- at nym forging.

    And yours at ass kissing. When Roy sits down do you squeal?

  8. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On Wed, 07 May 2008 07:41:39 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Frank peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >>
    >>> Nobody should be in awe of MS' "engineers" - all the good ones left
    >>> years ago and all work on FOSS projects! MS have such a lack of
    >>> programming talent and ability that they're having to /buy/ a kernel
    >>> for Windoze 7.
    >>>
    >>> Ten years ago the rot began to set in at MS. I can remember a
    >>> /serious/ proposal in a strategy meeting to write "Office" applications
    >>> like "Access" in /Visual/ /Basic/ - the general level of ineptitude was
    >>> astonishing!

    > How so? Has MS been working on writing an OS in .NET or C#?
    >
    >> Damn! Have you ever thought about tell the truth you lying POS
    >> euro-trash asshole loser?

    > You were in that meeting too? Or are you just quoting Bill Gates?

    "Frank" is a wintroll, usually in alt.os.linux.ubuntu.

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed

  9. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Linonut wrote:
    > * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Your ineptitude is noted.

    > So is yours -- at nym forging.

    "Nym forging".

    You ****ing netloon.

  10. Microsoft: Linux hits 26.1% of ALL internet users, 2Q 2008 SEC report!

    Who should know the numbers better than Microsoft, and the Quarterly SEC
    reports, filed under severe penalty of perjury, reflect the genuine facts.

    Microsoft lists Linux as the ultimate competitor, with annual growth of
    Linux use being reported by Microsoft analysts of 3%+.

    Doubts? Go read the SEC Reports. Read the MS Executive sworn trial
    depositions!

    All are Public Records.

    Now, with Sun certifying Ubuntu, not only MS is facing competition, but,
    Suse, Novell, et al can see the writing on the wall. Hook up with a
    huge hardware vendor!

    You can try an easy Linux distro, Linux Mint!

    In the NGO arena, more of the donation centers are sending out FREE
    Linux systems to all the children in the world, which is helping to
    provide education, unencumbered with virus or malware.

    Local group of 20 builders converted in two weeks, no longer having to
    pay MS for MAR licenses! That saves them ~$5500 a year! Output is
    predicted to triple with Linux!

    Also saved is all the manhours wasted in reporting to MS and spying for
    MS on recipients of the units!

    Install time cut from the average 3.5 hours for MS on any machine, down
    to 41 minutes per machine install of Linux! These are all 'server
    provided installs', just like OEMs use, for 'efficiency' and speed!

    Level playing field and Linux is the winner in this situation!

  11. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > On 2008-05-05, chrisv wrote:
    >> John wrote:

    >>> Now if Microsoft did not engage in their extremely aggressive business
    >>> practices of bundling and so forth, and the OEM's actually had the
    >>> brass it would take to stand up to MS, then it would be a very
    >>> different landscape.

    >> Typical linux foolish-talk. Go learn something about Marketing and
    >> Enterprise; you're asking for a communist model similar to China's. "It
    >> ain't gonna happen."

    > Communism is where you have centralized control and you don't
    > have lots of little guys doing their own thing.
    >
    > The current Microsoft hegemony is what looks communist.
    >
    > --

    Only from a Nazi

  12. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On Wed, 7 May 2008 22:14:55 +1000
    "Kadaitcha Man" wrote:

    > Linonut wrote:
    > > * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:
    > >
    > >> Your ineptitude is noted.

    > > So is yours -- at nym forging.

    > "Nym forging".
    >
    > You ****ing netloon.

    Do you have some linux to advocate, Ne7 4bu53r?

    --
    http://thinkprogress.org/2008/05/06/...ing-photo-ids/

  13. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    * Kadaitcha Man peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Your ineptitude is noted.

    >> So is yours -- at nym forging.

    > "Nym forging".
    >
    > You ****ing netloon.

    Why thank you! You do allllll my work for me!

    --
    We always overestimate the change that will occur in the next two years and
    underestimate the change that will occur in the next ten. Don't let yourself
    be lulled into inaction.
    -- Bill Gates

  14. Re: Microsoft: Linux hits 26.1% of ALL internet users, 2Q 2008 SEC report!

    * AHappyCamper peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Who should know the numbers better than Microsoft, and the Quarterly SEC
    > reports, filed under severe penalty of perjury, reflect the genuine facts.

    http://investing.businessweek.com/re...?symbol=MSFT.O

    Click on the April 24 10-Q link.

    In recent years, certain "open source" software business
    models have evolved into a growing challenge to our license-based
    software model.

    . . .

    A prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating
    system. Proponents of open source software continue efforts to
    convince governments worldwide to mandate the use of open source
    software in their purchase and deployment of software products.
    Although we believe our products provide customers with significant
    advantages in security, productivity, and total cost of ownership,
    the open source software model continues to pose a significant
    challenge to our business model. To the extent open source software
    gains increasing market acceptance, sales of our products may
    decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for our products,
    and revenue and operating margins may decline.

    Nothing about Linux percentages.

    --
    There never was a chip, it is said, that Bill Gates couldn't slow down with a
    new batch of features.

  15. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On Mon, 05 May 2008 15:00:46 +0100, Dr.Hal0nf1r£$ wrote:

    > The thing is that under 7% of users use Linux: That's a very small
    > number compared with XP or Vista. Linux is based on the outdated Unix;

    That's a very strange and amusing comment, as Microsoft is constantly
    reworking their OSs by steadily embracing more and more long-lived Unix
    concepts (not including interoperability, mind you) and Apple's OS X is
    even a certified Unix. But hey, trolls need to troll.

    Rui Maciel

  16. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Hadron wrote:
    > Matt writes:
    >
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> "should be made"
    >>>
    >>> As in: the developers should be required by law?

    >> For government-purchased software: yes.

    > Why? I don't understand. Should all their cars run with petrol and
    > diesel and water too?

    Not a good analogy.

    > Why do you want the tax payer to have to cough up
    > so much more.

    I don't. Once cross-platform tools and techniques are well developed,
    building software for all platforms simultaneously will be no more
    expensive than building for one platform. Programming effort will no
    longer be divided across platforms, so software will be cheaper and
    better. And government-funded computing will no longer be locked in to
    any particular OS. When there is a free alternative, does it sound like
    it would be more expensive?

    > You do know they license SW by the year?

    How is that relevant?

  17. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    !

    > But, in any case, all too many developers in
    > the commercial arena do not feel they have even time enough for one
    > platform, and so they stick with the largest platform.

    Partly inertia, partly lack of tools. I don't know, but I understand
    GTK+ is kind of a mess, and Qt suffers from licensing issues.

  18. Re: trolls get linux figures wrong AGAIN!

    William Poaster wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 May 2008 12:27:43 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Bob Campbell peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> "Dr.Hal0nf1r$" wrote in
    >>> message news:z7-dnXLNq9OUjoLVnZ2dnUVZ8uadnZ2d@bt.com...
    >>> Actually under 1% do. The title of this thread is wrong. Linux hit
    >>> .061% in march, not 6.1%

    >> Not according to Gartner.
    >>
    >> Oh, I didn't notice before. You're one of those nuts who prefers to lie
    >> shamelessly about numbers.

    > Even M$ themselves state that Linux users are about 17% of all Internet
    > users. The trolls can't get *anything* right, can they.

    Where did MS state that? 17%? Nobody believes that.

  19. Re: trolls get linux figures wrong AGAIN!

    Matt writes:

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >> On Mon, 05 May 2008 12:27:43 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * Bob Campbell peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Not according to Gartner.
    >>>
    >>> Oh, I didn't notice before. You're one of those nuts who prefers to lie
    >>> shamelessly about numbers.

    >> Even M$ themselves state that Linux users are about 17% of all Internet
    >> users. The trolls can't get *anything* right, can they.

    > Where did MS state that? 17%? Nobody believes that.

    They said it to take the mickey ages ago. Idiots like Willy do indeed
    believe it.

  20. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On 2008-05-07, Matt wrote:
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Matt writes:

    >>> For government-purchased software: yes.

    >> Why? I don't understand. Should all their cars run with petrol and
    >> diesel and water too?

    > Not a good analogy.

    I dunno.

    I think it's a WONDERFUL analogy.

    Many technologies suffer from the early adopter problem. Government
    being a big rich buyer is in a great position to throw a little
    patronage around and help companies and tech that might not otherwise
    have a chance to mature and prove themselves in the general market.

    I'd LOVE it if the US Gov were buying Phoenix trucks and driving them
    around various military reservations. They could help develop the
    technology.

    BioDiesel Hummer.
    Hydrogen Hummer.
    Electric Hummer.

    Army Field Solar Array.

    --

    iTunes is not progressive. It's a throwback. |||
    / | \