Linux hits 6.1% on March! - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux hits 6.1% on March! - Linux ; John wrote: > On Mon, 5 May 2008 15:00:46 +0100, "Dr.Hal0nf1r$" > wrote: > >> That's a very small number compared with XP or Vista. > > Now if Microsoft did not engage in their extremely aggressive business > practices ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 383

  1. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    John wrote:
    > On Mon, 5 May 2008 15:00:46 +0100, "Dr.Hal0nf1r$"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> That's a very small number compared with XP or Vista.

    > Now if Microsoft did not engage in their extremely aggressive business
    > practices of bundling and so forth, and the OEM's actually had the
    > brass it would take to stand up to MS, then it would be a very
    > different landscape.

    Typical linux foolish-talk. Go learn something about Marketing and
    Enterprise; you're asking for a communist model similar to China's. "It
    ain't gonna happen."

  2. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  3. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, the wharf rat
    >
    > wrote
    > on Mon, 5 May 2008 16:31:11 +0000 (UTC)
    > :
    >> In article ,
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>>
    >>> LOL yourself. Mac is based on the "outdated UNIX", too.
    >>>

    >> Well, first of all, ducky, I was laughing at the idea of
    >> "outdated". Second of all, Linux isn't based on unix. It's a ground
    >> up complete re-write, which is why poor SCO is no longer with us.
    >>

    > Linux is to Unix as a Chevy is to a Ford; both Linux
    > and Unix manage computer resources, and both conform to
    > standards, POSIX among them.
    >
    > Linux *may* include some Unix drivers, but I'd frankly have
    > to look for them; the kernel proper is, as you correctly state,
    > written from the ground up, and while it does implement such
    > things as fork(), it has no Unix code as such. There was,
    > however, an iBcs2 effort at one point, allowing Linux systems
    > to run BSD386 apps.
    >
    > As for SCO...good riddance. :-P

    http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9590_22-1...ml?tag=nl.e550

    :-D

  4. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Dr.Hal0nf1r$

    wrote
    on Tue, 6 May 2008 00:51:57 +0100
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, the wharf rat
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Mon, 5 May 2008 16:31:11 +0000 (UTC)
    >> :

    >>> Well, first of all, ducky, I was laughing at the idea of
    >>> "outdated". Second of all, Linux isn't based on unix. It's a ground
    >>> up complete re-write, which is why poor SCO is no longer with us.
    >>>

    >> Linux is to Unix as a Chevy is to a Ford; both Linux
    >> and Unix manage computer resources, and both conform to
    >> standards, POSIX among them.
    >>
    >> Linux *may* include some Unix drivers, but I'd frankly have
    >> to look for them; the kernel proper is, as you correctly state,
    >> written from the ground up, and while it does implement such
    >> things as fork(), it has no Unix code as such. There was,
    >> however, an iBcs2 effort at one point, allowing Linux systems
    >> to run BSD386 apps.
    >>
    >> As for SCO...good riddance. :-P

    > http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9590_22-1...ml?tag=nl.e550
    >
    >:-D

    Well, I'll give Darl McBride points for being consistent,
    but that's about it... ;-) It'll be interesting to see
    how many other vendors Novell will sue, though.

    Oh, and from the "better late than never" department:

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9593_22-5...ml?tag=btxcsim

    They've finally identified 217 contract violations, but the
    document is presumably still under court seal. (Why, I'm
    not sure; this report is dated 2005-11-01.)

    There's also

    http://www.cyber.com.au/users/conz/l...co_matrix.html

    (found using Google Search) which, if complete and
    accurate, means Linux suffers not one whit, except perhaps
    in perceived reputation, and that only if one believes
    Darl McBride, from all this.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. It'll Fix Everything(tm).

  5. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On Tue, 6 May 2008 01:12:36 +0100, Dr.Hal0nf1r$ wrote:

    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >

    >> Because people don't know Linux is better, and tend to go
    >> with the devil they know. Windows is the devil they know.
    >> Windows Vista is a significant mutation, but is slowly
    >> being accepted at about a 5 to 6-year rate. (In other words,
    >> all desktops that will be Windows will eventually be Vista
    >> 5 to 6 years after its inception, which is Jan 2007. This
    >> is probably slower than Microsoft would like, but XP lasted
    >> 6 years; Vista probably will, too.)

    > By that time Windows 7 will be released: I refuse to run Vista; IMO it's
    > crap. I'm staying with XP until Windows 7; as are many other Windows users.

    Same here and I am actually tinkering with the idea of switching over to
    the Mac platform as I have had all I can take with Microsoft's latest
    adventures.

    >>> How do you Linux loons explain the fact that Firefox is doing very
    >>> well against big bad Microsoft but Linux and Open Office are not....
    >>>
    >>> The truth is, people are just not interested in Linux as a desktop
    >>> system because it does nothing for them.
    >>>

    >> Correct! Linux *qua* Linux can't even boot. Linux
    >> augmented with various utilities such as GRUB,

    > Almost every time I tried to run GRUB it has crashed!

    I've had a lot of trouble setting it up with large Western Digital drives
    for some odd reason. It works but the auto configuration doesn't seem to
    work properly.
    Maxtor and Seagate work perfectly without tinkering.

    >> GNU bash,
    >> and OpenOffice will boot and do useful things,

    > So will Windows 95. (I last ran it in November last year.) - But I prefer
    > something user-friendly and versatile like Office 2007.
    >
    >> but most
    >> people don't know the details and are scared of the code
    >> and in awe of Microsoft engineers.

    > Who said all is lost?

    Most people don't care about the code.

    >> Perhaps this will change in time, but I'm not all that hopeful.
    >>
    >>[*] this is specific to Linux/x86; other machines have
    >> their own instructions for breaching the application/kernel
    >> "firewall".

    > That's another thing with Linux; you need a seperate version of a degree in
    > computing in order to be able to run each version of each distro: None of
    > which fully work.

    That is correct.
    Linux is just a huge PITA compared to Windows.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  7. Re: trolls get linux figures wrong AGAIN!

    * William Poaster peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Mon, 05 May 2008 12:27:43 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >> * Bob Campbell peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>> "Dr.Hal0nf1r$" wrote in

    >>> Actually under 1% do. The title of this thread is wrong. Linux hit
    >>> .061% in march, not 6.1%

    >> Oh, I didn't notice before. You're one of those nuts who prefers to lie
    >> shamelessly about numbers.

    > Even M$ themselves state that Linux users are about 17% of all Internet
    > users. The trolls can't get *anything* right, can they.

    I suspect that, like me, a fair number of Linux developers hit MSDN to
    understand the APIs needed to write cross-platform code.

    Here's an interesting one. A few years ago, I looked into pthreads
    implementations on Windows, and mostly found small macros collections.

    Lately, I look again, and see a whole body of C code that implements
    pthreads on Win32

    http://sourceware.org/pthreads-win32/

    It even includes a driver you can load to support asynchronous
    cancellation in Windows.

    So I'm trying this out to fit threading into a POSIX model instead of a
    Win32 model. There's still a lot of work to be done, according to the
    conformance list at that site.

    --
    He is divisive. He is manipulative. He is a user. He has taken much from me and
    the industry.

  8. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    * the wharf rat peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > In article ,
    > Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>LOL yourself. Mac is based on the "outdated UNIX", too.

    > Well, first of all, ducky, I was laughing at the idea of
    > "outdated". Second of all, Linux isn't based on unix. It's a ground
    > up complete re-write, which is why poor SCO is no longer with us.

    Not to continue niggling, but Linux is based on UNIX, enough so that
    it's replacing it in a lot of contexts.

    "Based on" != "same code"

    Oh well, we're just meta-arguing here.

    --
    Whether it's Google or Apple or free software, we've got some fantastic
    competitors and it keeps us on our toes.

  9. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    * Dr.Hal0nf1r$ peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> As for SCO...good riddance. :-P

    > http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9590_22-1...ml?tag=nl.e550
    >
    > :-D

    Indeed. McBride is, and always has been, a deluded clown.

    In the hearing, which concludes on Friday, SCO chief executive Darl
    McBride made claims--including that "Linux is a copy of Unix"--which
    are directly contradicted by the open-source community and apparently
    run counter to other SCO testimony, ...

    --
    Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very
    efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning.

  10. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On 2008-05-05, Hadron wrote:
    > Matt writes:
    >
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> "should be made"
    >>>
    >>> As in: the developers should be required by law?

    >> For government-purchased software: yes.

    > Why? I don't understand. Should all their cars run with petrol and
    > diesel and water too? Why do you want the tax payer to have to cough up
    > so much more. You do know they license SW by the year?

    Since the rise of the Republican Party in 1860, the governement has
    always been about building infastructure to support national commerce.

    So yes, the government should directly and indirectly encourage a
    more diverse consumer market and encourage research and development.

    So yeah, there should be Phoenix pickup trucks wandering about Camp
    Geiger and other similar installations (that use light pickup trucks).

    --

    The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals |||
    for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs / | \

  11. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On 2008-05-05, Dr.Hal0nf1r$ wrote:
    > Matt wrote:
    >> Ignoramus20845 wrote:

    >>> Keep in mind that "desktop" is only one of the markets where Linux is
    >>> a player. The other two markets are servers and gadgets (including
    >>> those EEE PCs and PMPs). There, Linux is much more successful.
    >>>
    >>> I think that rather than froth at the mouth with "advocacy", we'd do
    >>> better to promote Linux by writing better software to make Linux run
    >>> smoother.

    >> One of the keys to winning the desktop is cross-platform development.
    >>
    >> Every new application should be made to run on all three or four of
    >> the most popular OSes.

    > The thing is that under 7% of users use Linux: That's a very small number
    > compared with XP or Vista. Linux is based on the outdated Unix; using which
    > is as sensible as using a 1960s immersion heater with most of its old wiring
    > to supply your house with hot water: It does its job; although
    > inefficiently, and it requires constant servicing with obsolete parts to
    > keep it in a good condition.
    >
    > Manufacturers in the 21st Century won't be manufacturing updated parts to
    > improve its performance or selling it as today's technology with a whole new
    > look and feel to the original Belling and Howell immersion unit: They'll
    > have instead moved on and designed something much more efficient in terms of
    > operation, energy conservation/utilisation, and cosmetic appearance.

    ...except Unix was an industrial grade design when it was created.

    Windows never was. Even when it was retrofitted with industrial parts
    inside it still retained it's "ronco" quality exterior.

    Think of it another way... Unix was created by the same people that
    gave you your reliable first class land line communications system.

    [deletia]

    This is the common "it is old, therefore it must be bad or primitive"
    fallacy. There are many devices that are not just based on old designs but
    are just plain themselves OLD that are better than what's "shiny and new"
    simply because they were engineered better.

    It's like a 40 year old Benz versus a brand new Chevy.

    --

    The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals |||
    for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs / | \
    the social value of copyright to begin with.

  12. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On 2008-05-05, chrisv wrote:
    > John wrote:
    >> On Mon, 5 May 2008 15:00:46 +0100, "Dr.Hal0nf1r$"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> That's a very small number compared with XP or Vista.

    >> Now if Microsoft did not engage in their extremely aggressive business
    >> practices of bundling and so forth, and the OEM's actually had the
    >> brass it would take to stand up to MS, then it would be a very
    >> different landscape.

    > Typical linux foolish-talk. Go learn something about Marketing and
    > Enterprise; you're asking for a communist model similar to China's. "It
    > ain't gonna happen."

    Communism is where you have centralized control and you don't
    have lots of little guys doing their own thing.

    The current Microsoft hegemony is what looks communist.

    --

    The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals |||
    for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs / | \
    the social value of copyright to begin with.

  13. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > Correct! Linux *qua* Linux can't even boot. Linux
    > augmented with various utilities such as GRUB, GNU bash,
    > and OpenOffice will boot and do useful things, but most
    > people don't know the details and are scared of the code
    > and in awe of Microsoft engineers.

    Nobody should be in awe of MS' "engineers" - all the good ones left years
    ago and all work on FOSS projects! MS have such a lack of programming
    talent and ability that they're having to /buy/ a kernel for Windoze 7.

    Ten years ago the rot began to set in at MS. I can remember a /serious/
    proposal in a strategy meeting to write "Office" applications like "Access"
    in /Visual/ /Basic/ - the general level of ineptitude was astonishing!

    C.

  14. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Mush Goldbrick wrote:

    > Linux is just a huge PITA compared to Windows.

    *Wrong* - the /real/ PITA is Windoze...

    I just had to try "Vista", and I had a sacrificial machine here. I bought a
    copy of "Home Premium", and tried to install it. The test machine was an
    absolutely standard Dell box, with a P4, nVidia graphics and a sound card
    function built on to the main board.

    Vista kept whinging about driver compatibility, and no matter
    what /registered/ drivers I downloaded from the 'net, Vista kept on
    failing. On the seventeenth or eighteenth reboot, Vista failed to start.
    Nothing would get me beyond a black screen, so I re-installed it. I got is
    going with poor video resolution, and connected it to the 'net. This was a
    serious mistake. Within 2 minutes, the machine was being attacked, within
    a few minutes more it was compromised (as found when forensically analysing
    the wreckage)...

    After another couple of hours wasted with the Vista rubbish, I got out a PC
    Linux OS disk, and eleven minutes later, I had a fully working system,
    complete with a useful suite of programmes...

    All the hardware was correctly identified, and the appropriate drivers
    loaded. Unlike Windoze, the Linux distro was flawless.

    C.

  15. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On Tue, 06 May 2008 23:55:01 +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Mush Goldbrick wrote:
    >
    >> Linux is just a huge PITA compared to Windows.

    > *Wrong* - the /real/ PITA is Windoze...
    >
    > I just had to try "Vista", and I had a sacrificial machine here. I bought a
    > copy of "Home Premium", and tried to install it. The test machine was an
    > absolutely standard Dell box, with a P4, nVidia graphics and a sound card
    > function built on to the main board.
    >
    > Vista kept whinging about driver compatibility, and no matter
    > what /registered/ drivers I downloaded from the 'net, Vista kept on
    > failing. On the seventeenth or eighteenth reboot, Vista failed to start.
    > Nothing would get me beyond a black screen, so I re-installed it. I got is
    > going with poor video resolution, and connected it to the 'net. This was a
    > serious mistake. Within 2 minutes, the machine was being attacked, within
    > a few minutes more it was compromised (as found when forensically analysing
    > the wreckage)...
    >
    > After another couple of hours wasted with the Vista rubbish, I got out a PC
    > Linux OS disk, and eleven minutes later, I had a fully working system,
    > complete with a useful suite of programmes...
    >
    > All the hardware was correctly identified, and the appropriate drivers
    > loaded. Unlike Windoze, the Linux distro was flawless.
    >
    > C.

    Classic Linux Loon "Windows fails and Linux saves the day" post.

    Tell me, do you guys have a form that you check boxes on to generate this
    stuff?
    Is it like ElizaBot or something?

    It all sounds so much alike and for the most part the only place it is seen
    in the wild is in Linux forums.

    Thanks for playing though but next time you should try and make it more
    believable.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  17. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Mush Goldbrick wrote:
    >

    >>Linux is just a huge PITA compared to Windows.

    > *Wrong* - the /real/ PITA is Windoze...
    >
    > I just had to try "Vista", and I had a sacrificial machine here. I bought a
    > copy of "Home Premium", and tried to install it. The test machine was an
    > absolutely standard Dell box, with a P4, nVidia graphics and a sound card
    > function built on to the main board.
    >
    > Vista kept whinging about driver compatibility, and no matter
    > what /registered/ drivers I downloaded from the 'net, Vista kept on
    > failing. On the seventeenth or eighteenth reboot, Vista failed to start.
    > Nothing would get me beyond a black screen, so I re-installed it. I got is
    > going with poor video resolution, and connected it to the 'net. This was a
    > serious mistake. Within 2 minutes, the machine was being attacked, within
    > a few minutes more it was compromised (as found when forensically analysing
    > the wreckage)...
    >
    > After another couple of hours wasted with the Vista rubbish, I got out a PC
    > Linux OS disk, and eleven minutes later, I had a fully working system,
    > complete with a useful suite of programmes...
    >
    > All the hardware was correctly identified, and the appropriate drivers
    > loaded. Unlike Windoze, the Linux distro was flawless.
    >
    > C.

    You lying sack of euro-****!
    Only your fellow fanatical zealots would ever believe your bull**** stories.
    Get a life asshole and STOP YOUR FUKKIN LYING!!!
    Frank

  18. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >

    >>Correct! Linux *qua* Linux can't even boot. Linux
    >>augmented with various utilities such as GRUB, GNU bash,
    >>and OpenOffice will boot and do useful things, but most
    >>people don't know the details and are scared of the code
    >>and in awe of Microsoft engineers.

    > Nobody should be in awe of MS' "engineers" - all the good ones left years
    > ago and all work on FOSS projects! MS have such a lack of programming
    > talent and ability that they're having to /buy/ a kernel for Windoze 7.
    >
    > Ten years ago the rot began to set in at MS. I can remember a /serious/
    > proposal in a strategy meeting to write "Office" applications like "Access"
    > in /Visual/ /Basic/ - the general level of ineptitude was astonishing!
    >
    > C.

    Damn! Have you ever thought about tell the truth you lying POS
    euro-trash asshole loser?
    Frank

  19. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Mush Goldbrick wrote:
    >
    >> Linux is just a huge PITA compared to Windows.

    > *Wrong* - the /real/ PITA is Windoze...
    >
    > I just had to try "Vista", and I had a sacrificial machine here. I
    > bought a copy of "Home Premium", and tried to install it. The test
    > machine was an absolutely standard Dell box, with a P4, nVidia
    > graphics and a sound card function built on to the main board.
    >
    > Vista kept whinging about driver compatibility, and no matter
    > what /registered/ drivers I downloaded from the 'net, Vista kept on
    > failing. On the seventeenth or eighteenth reboot, Vista failed to
    > start. Nothing would get me beyond a black screen, so I re-installed
    > it. I got is going with poor video resolution, and connected it to
    > the 'net. This was a serious mistake. Within 2 minutes, the machine
    > was being attacked, within a few minutes more it was compromised (as
    > found when forensically analysing the wreckage)...
    >
    > After another couple of hours wasted with the Vista rubbish, I got
    > out a PC Linux OS disk, and eleven minutes later, I had a fully
    > working system, complete with a useful suite of programmes...
    >
    > All the hardware was correctly identified, and the appropriate drivers
    > loaded. Unlike Windoze, the Linux distro was flawless.

    Your ineptitude is noted.

  20. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> Correct! Linux *qua* Linux can't even boot. Linux
    >> augmented with various utilities such as GRUB, GNU bash,
    >> and OpenOffice will boot and do useful things, but most
    >> people don't know the details and are scared of the code
    >> and in awe of Microsoft engineers.

    > Nobody should be in awe of MS' "engineers" - all the good ones left
    > years ago and all work on FOSS projects! MS have such a lack of
    > programming talent and ability that they're having to /buy/ a kernel
    > for Windoze 7.
    >
    > Ten years ago the rot began to set in at MS. I can remember a
    > /serious/ proposal in a strategy meeting to write "Office"
    > applications like "Access" in /Visual/ /Basic/ - the general level of
    > ineptitude was astonishing!

    Ironic that /you/ would say that.