Linux hits 6.1% on March! - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux hits 6.1% on March! - Linux ; "Matt" wrote in message news:hMyKj.1342$NU2.294@news01.roc.ny... > chrisv wrote: >> Matt wrote: >> >>> dennis@home wrote: >>> >>>> English is a living language and it changes. >>>> I am English and I can use it as I feel fit. >>>> The ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 383

  1. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > chrisv wrote:
    >> Matt wrote:

    >>> That antisocial attitude toward English really is beautifully consistent
    >>> with the way Microsoft treats standards and even their own APIs,
    >>> including their disregard for the problems caused to everyone connected
    >>> with software.

    >> Excellent point.

    > Yes, there it is staring us in the face ... We'll send to a few thousand
    > programmers a questionnaire to measure their attitudes toward grammar.
    > Then we'll look at correlations between such attitudes and the software
    > tools they use day to day.

    Getting desperate dragging M$ into an argument about the use of English.
    M$ aren't even English and I bet you aren't either.

  2. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    "Christopher Hunter" wrote in message
    > Matt wrote:
    >
    >> dennis@home wrote:
    >>
    >>> English is a living language and it changes.
    >>> I am English and I can use it as I feel fit.

    > Speaking as an Englishman, I can assure you that "dimwit@home" does /not/
    > represent the vast majority of us on /any/ way!

    Speaking as an Englishman I can assure you Christopher Hunter doesn't
    represent *anyone* but himself.

    >>> The minor errors did not cause a problem in understanding for most
    >>> people. HTH.

    > The first "dimwit@home" error was to find a newsreader. The second was to
    > try to use it.

    Your error was ii your parents being Australian and going out and buying a
    roll of sticky tape when someone suggested they needed to use Durex to avoid
    future problems.

    >> That antisocial attitude toward English really is beautifully consistent
    >> with the way Microsoft treats standards and even their own APIs,
    >> including their disregard for the problems caused to everyone connected
    >> with software.

    > That's a remarkably good analogy. Hardon and dimwit both appear incapable
    > of rational thought or reasoned debate. Both are best killfiled!

    Another moron that can drag M$ into an argument about English.
    Hint M$ aren't even English as I suspect you aren't.

    > C.

  3. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 08:47:56 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    > "Matt" wrote in message
    >> chrisv wrote:

    >>> Excellent point.

    >> Yes, there it is staring us in the face ... We'll send to a few
    >> thousand programmers a questionnaire to measure their attitudes toward
    >> grammar. Then we'll look at correlations between such attitudes and the
    >> software tools they use day to day.

    > Getting desperate dragging M$ into an argument about the use of English.
    > M$ aren't even English and I bet you aren't either.

    Just to clarify things a little here, Microsoft have a major research and development deployment seven miles
    down the road from me in Cambridge, United Kingdom, and does report back to Redmond. When I used to
    use Windows, I did contact their offices and bought up this very subject, and received the reply that they take
    ideas and comments very seriously - so seriously in fact, they have never addressed it, but they thanked me
    for bringing it to their attention :-)

    I do object to the use of 'Favorites' instead of 'Favourites' in IE when my user locale is En-GB, but at least
    Firefox uses 'Bookmarks' which I find less of an irritation.

    All the best,

    Tony (UK)

  4. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Christopher Hunter illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > If you're a Scouser

    What are you trying to intimate, soft lad?
    ;-)

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  5. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Christopher Hunter writes:

    > Matt wrote:
    >
    >> dennis@home wrote:
    >>
    >>> English is a living language and it changes.
    >>> I am English and I can use it as I feel fit.

    > Speaking as an Englishman, I can assure you that "dimwit@home" does /not/
    > represent the vast majority of us on /any/ way!

    That would be "in any way". "On any way" would not parse and make any
    sense when your rules are applied. LOL.

  6. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On Apr 7, 3:09*pm, Matt wrote:
    > dennis@home wrote:
    > > English is a living language and it changes.
    > > I am English and I can use it as I feel fit.
    > > The minor errors did not cause a problem in understanding for most people.
    > > HTH.

    > That antisocial attitude toward English really is beautifully consistent
    > with the way Microsoft treats standards and even their own APIs,
    > including their disregard for the problems caused to everyone connected
    > with software.

    That long, grammatically incorrect, sentence is the epitome of COLA.
    Immediately a connection was made between lack of punctuation and
    Microsoft. Mind blowing.

  7. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    cc writes:

    > On Apr 7, 3:09*pm, Matt wrote:
    >> dennis@home wrote:
    >> > English is a living language and it changes.
    >> > I am English and I can use it as I feel fit.
    >> > The minor errors did not cause a problem in understanding for most people.
    >> > HTH.

    >> That antisocial attitude toward English really is beautifully consistent
    >> with the way Microsoft treats standards and even their own APIs,
    >> including their disregard for the problems caused to everyone connected
    >> with software.

    > That long, grammatically incorrect, sentence is the epitome of COLA.
    > Immediately a connection was made between lack of punctuation and
    > Microsoft. Mind blowing.

    Shocking isn't it? Have a read of Christoper "Legend in his own
    lunchtime" Hunt's contribution too. Apparently the English Language
    throughout the world is dictated by strict and formal grammar rules! And
    this coming from people who doubt the need for a consistent UI on a
    Linux desktop! All we know need for an overload of hypocrisy is Gregory
    Shearman piling in with how important it is not to confuse readers with
    more than one version of a certain word!

    ROTFLM - the mind really does boggle in COLA.

  8. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    "Hadron" wrote in message
    > Christopher Hunter writes:
    >
    >> Matt wrote:

    >> Speaking as an Englishman, I can assure you that "dimwit@home" does /not/
    >> represent the vast majority of us on /any/ way!

    > That would be "in any way". "On any way" would not parse and make any
    > sense when your rules are applied. LOL.

    He is a moron and chunters on about nothing.

  9. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    >>Hadron trolled:

    >>> I'm point out, you saddo, that your tirade was ridiculous in the extreme
    >>> as you did the same things in your tirade as your accused Dennis
    >>> of.

    > Making an error is not "the same" as being a lazy, selfish bastard who
    > does not care if everyone has to work at understanding one's posts,
    > Quack.
    >
    > That's yet another bald-faced lie from you, Quack. Documented.
    >
    >>Consider yourself looking very, very stupid about now.

    > Yes, Quack, I feel not just stupid, but "very, very" stupid, for
    > making the *egregious* error of dropping the word "to". Idiot.
    >
    > Is this best that you can do, Quack? Is this what your (generally
    > unseen) responses to my messages consist of? Ridiculous, obviously
    > false claims that show you to be even more of a dishonest asshole?

    It is the best you can do!
    Now you have failed to prove you know what you are talking about sod off
    back to troll land.
    FUP set, again!

  10. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 07:59:49 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    >>Hadron trolled:

    >>> I'm point out, you saddo, that your tirade was ridiculous in the
    >>> extreme as you did the same things in your tirade as your accused
    >>> Dennis of.

    > Making an error is not "the same" as being a lazy, selfish bastard who
    > does not care if everyone has to work at understanding one's posts, Quack.
    >
    > That's yet another bald-faced lie from you, Quack. Documented.
    >
    >>Consider yourself looking very, very stupid about now.

    > Yes, Quack, I feel not just stupid, but "very, very" stupid, for making
    > the *egregious* error of dropping the word "to". Idiot.
    >
    > Is this best that you can do, Quack? Is this what your (generally unseen)
    > that show you to be even more of a dishonest asshole?
    >
    > Pathetic, but not surprising.

    Funy how Quack has found time to comment about something trivial, while in
    a.o.l.u they're still waiting for an answer to what his choice of distro
    should be for top dog.
    Sun, 06 Apr 2008

    And they're *still* waiting!

    I just wanted to see what Hadron would answer since he complains aboout
    everything.
    Notice no answer.
    caver1

    Mon, 07 Apr 2008

    Well as "he complains aboout everything", you'd have thought that given
    the opportunity, he would have compiled a Soopa-Doopa Distro by now &
    showed everyone how it *should* be done.
    At the very least, the shill/troll could have answered the folks in there.
    Looks like he ran away.

    --
    Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.4
    Linux systems: PCLOS 2007,Fedora 8, Kubuntu 7.10.

  11. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:02:18 +0100, William Poaster wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 07:59:49 -0500, chrisv wrote:
    >
    >>>Hadron trolled:

    >> Making an error is not "the same" as being a lazy, selfish bastard who
    >> does not care if everyone has to work at understanding one's posts,
    >> Quack.
    >>
    >> That's yet another bald-faced lie from you, Quack. Documented.
    >>
    >>>Consider yourself looking very, very stupid about now.

    >> Yes, Quack, I feel not just stupid, but "very, very" stupid, for making
    >> the *egregious* error of dropping the word "to". Idiot.
    >>
    >> Is this best that you can do, Quack? Is this what your (generally
    >> unseen) responses to my messages consist of? Ridiculous, obviously
    >> false claims that show you to be even more of a dishonest asshole?
    >>
    >> Pathetic, but not surprising.

    > Funny how Quack has found time to comment about something trivial, while
    > in a.o.l.u they're still waiting for an answer to what his choice of
    > distro should be for top dog.
    > 2008
    >
    > And they're *still* waiting!
    >
    > I just wanted to see what Hadron would answer since he complains aboout
    > everything.
    > Notice no answer.
    > caver1

    > 2008
    >
    > Well as "he complains about everything", you'd have thought that given
    > the opportunity, he would have compiled a Soopa-Doopa Distro by now &
    > showed everyone how it *should* be done. At the very least, the
    > shill/troll could have answered the folks in there. Looks like he ran
    > away.

    Wanna bet he'll now whine about the sleppin' misteaks?

    --
    Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.4
    Linux systems: PCLOS 2007,Fedora 8, Kubuntu 7.10.
    Testing: Mandriva 2008.1 RC2
    -- On 64bit systems --

  12. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    dennis@home wrote:

    > "Matt" wrote in message
    >> chrisv wrote:

    >>> Excellent point.

    >> Yes, there it is staring us in the face ... We'll send to a few
    >> thousand programmers a questionnaire to measure their attitudes toward
    >> grammar. Then we'll look at correlations between such attitudes and
    >> the software tools they use day to day.

    > Getting desperate dragging M$ into an argument about the use of English.
    > M$ aren't even English and I bet you aren't either.

    If you owned the English language, as you seem to want to claim, you
    would treat it better than you do. You probably don't treat the English
    nation any better than you do the language.

  13. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Matt writes:

    > dennis@home wrote:
    >>

    >> "Matt" wrote in message

    >>> Yes, there it is staring us in the face ... We'll send to a few
    >>> thousand programmers a questionnaire to measure their attitudes
    >>> toward grammar. Then we'll look at correlations between such
    >>> attitudes and the software tools they use day to day.

    >> Getting desperate dragging M$ into an argument about the use of English.
    >> M$ aren't even English and I bet you aren't either.

    > If you owned the English language, as you seem to want to claim, you
    > would treat it better than you do. You probably don't treat the
    > English nation any better than you do the language.

    Typical COLA turn around. Matt starts making big talk about how the
    language is formally certified and now he claims that others maintain
    they own the language. Unbelievable.

  14. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    cc wrote:
    > On Apr 7, 3:09 pm, Matt wrote:
    >> dennis@home wrote:
    >>> English is a living language and it changes.
    >>> I am English and I can use it as I feel fit.
    >>> The minor errors did not cause a problem in understanding for most people.
    >>> HTH.

    >> That antisocial attitude toward English really is beautifully consistent
    >> with the way Microsoft treats standards and even their own APIs,
    >> including their disregard for the problems caused to everyone connected
    >> with software.

    > That long, grammatically incorrect, sentence is the epitome of COLA.
    > Immediately a connection was made between lack of punctuation and
    > Microsoft. Mind blowing.

    Not "lack of punctuation"---contempt for it---and a general hostility
    toward standards.

    Your parser is broken.

  15. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt

    wrote
    on Tue, 08 Apr 2008 00:42:44 GMT
    :
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Holy cow. I know some great programmers who talk "dude" "l33t"
    >> speak.

    > It isn't their fault. What is l33t?

    There's probably a diatribe out there about h4x0r5-speak,
    where |33+ programmers try to outc00l the n00bs.

    Or something. Personally, I think such stuff slightly silly.

    (For the record, |33+ = l33t = leet = short for "elite",
    just in case you're wondering. h4x0r5 = haxors = hackers.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    GNU and improved.

  16. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    "Matt" wrote in message
    newsjLKj.1372$Cn4.860@news02.roc.ny...
    > dennis@home wrote:
    >>

    >> "Matt" wrote in message

    >> Getting desperate dragging M$ into an argument about the use of English.
    >> M$ aren't even English and I bet you aren't either.

    > If you owned the English language, as you seem to want to claim, you would
    > treat it better than you do. You probably don't treat the English nation
    > any better than you do the language.

    Oh wow I bet that hurt him bad

  17. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    "Matt" wrote in message
    newsjLKj.1372$Cn4.860@news02.roc.ny...

    > If you owned the English language, as you seem to want to claim, you would
    > treat it better than you do. You probably don't treat the English nation
    > any better than you do the language.

    You are crazy.
    Why not post some more cr@p that means nothing.
    The advocacy group needs some more.

  18. Accents (was: Linux hits 6.1% on March!)

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Matt wrote:
    >
    >> What is anti social about it?

    > The assumption that incorrect usage is acceptable. The
    > grammatical rules and accepted usage of the English language are
    > well known and very precise.
    >
    >> Do you live in an English speaking area?

    > We speak /proper/ English here.
    >
    >> If you did you would know things change over time and its only
    >> the BBC and a few pedants that speak "Queens English".

    > We Londoners (that don't speak "Estuary" English) are /very/
    > close to that which might be described as "Queen's English". We
    > are not "pedants" nor are we BBC broadcasters - we just enjoy the
    > language /as/ /it/ /is/ /meant/ /to/ /be/ /spoken/ - not the
    > corrupted vowels and arbitrary usage found in many other
    > "Enlgish"-speaking places.
    >
    >> The rest of us speak in different ways.

    > That /certainly/ doesn't make your usage in any way correct.
    > Those of us who /do/ speak "Queen's English" find regional
    > accents and usages quite painful on the ear.

    I don't know if it is me or the world. When I was young(er), I had
    all sorts of problems adjusting to various accents. A US
    southerner, or a ****ney, etc. could be virtually unintelligible to
    me. However I no longer have the problem, or at least don't notice
    it. I suspect the language has cohered to a more standard accent
    worldwide.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  19. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 08 Apr 2008 00:42:44 GMT
    > :
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Holy cow. I know some great programmers who talk "dude" "l33t"
    >>> speak.

    >> It isn't their fault. What is l33t?

    > There's probably a diatribe out there about h4x0r5-speak,
    > where |33+ programmers try to outc00l the n00bs.
    >
    > Or something. Personally, I think such stuff slightly silly.
    >
    > (For the record, |33+ = l33t = leet = short for "elite",
    > just in case you're wondering. h4x0r5 = haxors = hackers.)

    +}{@|\|x

  20. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 03:29:18 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 09:10:53 +0200, Josef Moellers wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>
    >>> Linux seems to be losing no matter where you look.
    >>> The ODF vs OOXML debates.
    >>> Market Share.

    >> Not likely. Refer to http://www.groklaw.net/ and read all the articles
    >> (also those they quote in the right column) about the way OOXML gets
    >> approved.

    > That's a Roy Schestowitz administered site so I will not go there for fear
    > of getting a virus or trojan or something.
    >
    > As for OOXML vs ODF, all I see is a lot of conjecture, accusations and so
    > forth.
    > I see very little in the way of factual evidence.
    >
    > Possibly it may turn out to be totally rigged I don't know and personally I
    > really don't care either way.
    >
    >> Even if Linux is in the less-than-1%-area: each and every Linux-user
    >> uses it because of its merits, not because it came bundeled with the
    >> computer they bought or someone forces them to use it. Some people
    >> (including me) even use it *against* pressure from higher places to use
    >> another OS.
    >>
    >> *That's* the difference.

    > Noble, however most people just want to get work done not go on some
    > religious pilgrimage.
    >
    > My advice to anyone is to use the OS that supports the applications you
    > need to run.
    > IOW choose your applications first and then your OS.

    MG:

    Many casual-but-consistent *nix usrs run multiple OSs ... for example I
    keep an archaic WinME_box to run a friendly circuit analysis proggie. For
    all else including coding I use a speedy x64AMD Ubuntu box.

    The real danger with *nix having such low desktop penetration is that a
    SINGLE "stat-fluct" ( anything from a developer airplane crash, to a
    sudden paradigm_shift in mobo hardware ) might render *nix entirely a
    deadend doorstop.
    Imagine the desktop *nix lusr community being thrown back to the clutches
    of slabbering Debiolians, snarling Slackmolinites and
    prongtoothed, frothmouth LFSarillions!

    nss
    *****