Linux hits 6.1% on March! - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux hits 6.1% on March! - Linux ; chrisv writes: >>"Hadron" snotted: >>> >>> chrisv writes: >>>> >>>> In other words, you're a lazy, selfish bastard who won't take the time >>>> properly write, because you don't care if everyone has to work at >>>> understanding your flotsam. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 383

  1. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    chrisv writes:

    >>> "take the time properly write"?
    >>>
    >>> Huh? What *are* you trying to say? Surely that isn't English? Are you
    >>> Chinese?

    > Making an error implies that I'm Chinese? Nice logic, Quack.
    >
    > Poor Quack, thought he could "nail" me, but just ended-up embarrassing
    > himself again. Not that he minds, the shameless whore that he is...

    I'm point out, you saddo, that your tirade was ridiculous in the extreme
    as you did the same things in your tirade as your accused Dennis
    of. Consider yourself looking very, very stupid about now.

  2. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.04.07.14.37.57.649675@nospam.invalid...
    > dumbass@home wrote:

    >>> Try getting the point, here, dumbass. Start with Josef's post and
    >>> *think* for once in your life.

    >> The world runs on open standards with proprietary code incase you hadn't
    >> noticed.
    >> Your internet access to these very posts relies on that incase you
    >> hadn't noticed.

    > The fact that some open standards are used does not prove that all
    > "standards" are open. Certainly it doesn't prove that Micro$oft's defacto
    > "standards" are "open".
    >
    > Idiot.

    You are really stupid.. sod off back to advocacy.

  3. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    "chrisv" wrote in message

    >>> "take the time properly write"?
    >>>
    >>> Huh? What *are* you trying to say? Surely that isn't English? Are you
    >>> Chinese?

    > Making an error implies that I'm Chinese? Nice logic, Quack.
    >
    > Poor Quack, thought he could "nail" me, but just ended-up embarrassing
    > himself again. Not that he minds, the shameless whore that he is...

    You are really stupid and can't write English. Sod off back to advocacy.

  4. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Hadron wrote:
    > chrisv writes:
    >
    >>> "Hadron" snotted:

    >> Making an error implies that I'm Chinese? Nice logic, Quack.
    >>
    >> Poor Quack, thought he could "nail" me, but just ended-up embarrassing
    >> himself again. Not that he minds, the shameless whore that he is...
    >>

    > I'm point out, you saddo, that your tirade was ridiculous in the extreme
    > as you did the same things in your tirade as your accused Dennis
    > of. Consider yourself looking very, very stupid about now.

    Making a grammatical error is not the same as expressing contempt for
    grammar itself. The former is human, while the latter is anti-social.
    Failing to recognize the difference is ... Hadron.

    I expect you would see no difference between MS's flouting of standards
    and a programmer making a syntax error.

  5. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Matt writes:

    > Hadron wrote:

    >>> Making an error implies that I'm Chinese? Nice logic, Quack.
    >>>
    >>> Poor Quack, thought he could "nail" me, but just ended-up embarrassing
    >>> himself again. Not that he minds, the shameless whore that he is...
    >>>

    >> I'm point out, you saddo, that your tirade was ridiculous in the extreme
    >> as you did the same things in your tirade as your accused Dennis
    >> of. Consider yourself looking very, very stupid about now.

    > Making a grammatical error is not the same as expressing contempt for
    > grammar itself. The former is human, while the latter is
    > anti-social. Failing to recognize the difference is ... Hadron.

    Incorrect. if you're going to flame grammar then get it right yourself.

    > I expect you would see no difference between MS's flouting of
    > standards and a programmer making a syntax error.

    Why would you think that. There is no link whatsoever.

    --
    Packages should build-depend on what they should build-depend.
    -- Santiago Vila on debian-devel

  6. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    dennis@home wrote:

    > English is a living language and it changes.
    > I am English and I can use it as I feel fit.
    > The minor errors did not cause a problem in understanding for most people.
    > HTH.

    That antisocial attitude toward English really is beautifully consistent
    with the way Microsoft treats standards and even their own APIs,
    including their disregard for the problems caused to everyone connected
    with software.

  7. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Hadron wrote:
    > Matt writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> I'm point out, you saddo, that your tirade was ridiculous in the extreme
    >>> as you did the same things in your tirade as your accused Dennis
    >>> of. Consider yourself looking very, very stupid about now.

    >> Making a grammatical error is not the same as expressing contempt for
    >> grammar itself. The former is human, while the latter is
    >> anti-social. Failing to recognize the difference is ... Hadron.

    > Incorrect. if you're going to flame grammar then get it right yourself.
    >
    >> I expect you would see no difference between MS's flouting of
    >> standards and a programmer making a syntax error.

    > Why would you think that. There is no link whatsoever.

    Apparently you wouldn't do so well on the analogy section of an IQ test.

  8. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Matt writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Matt writes:

    >>> Making a grammatical error is not the same as expressing contempt for
    >>> grammar itself. The former is human, while the latter is
    >>> anti-social. Failing to recognize the difference is ... Hadron.

    >> Incorrect. if you're going to flame grammar then get it right yourself.
    >>
    >>> I expect you would see no difference between MS's flouting of
    >>> standards and a programmer making a syntax error.

    >> Why would you think that. There is no link whatsoever.

    > Apparently you wouldn't do so well on the analogy section of an IQ
    > test.

    Not if you had set it, no.

  9. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Matt wrote:

    > dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >> English is a living language and it changes.
    >> I am English and I can use it as I feel fit.
    >> The minor errors did not cause a problem in understanding for most people.
    >> HTH.

    > That antisocial attitude toward English really is beautifully consistent
    > with the way Microsoft treats standards and even their own APIs,
    > including their disregard for the problems caused to everyone connected
    > with software.

    Excellent point.

  10. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >> English is a living language and it changes.
    >> I am English and I can use it as I feel fit.
    >> The minor errors did not cause a problem in understanding for most
    >> people.
    >> HTH.

    > That antisocial attitude toward English really is beautifully consistent
    > with the way Microsoft treats standards and even their own APIs, including
    > their disregard for the problems caused to everyone connected with
    > software.

    What is anti social about it?
    Do you live in an English speaking area?
    If you did you would know things change over time and its only the BBC and a
    few pedants that speak "Queens English".
    The rest of us speak in different ways.
    If you don't like it, well I don't care all that much.
    You are the antisocial one if you want to exclude people that don't speak
    your definition of perfect English IMO.

    BTW document specifications aren't usually written in English but in a more
    precise language.
    This often results in long specifications which could have been written in
    much less words if you accept the ambiguities that may occur.

  11. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.04.07.20.12.02.515430@nospam.invalid...
    > Matt wrote:
    >
    >> dennis@home wrote:
    >>
    >>> English is a living language and it changes.
    >>> I am English and I can use it as I feel fit.
    >>> The minor errors did not cause a problem in understanding for most
    >>> people.
    >>> HTH.

    >> That antisocial attitude toward English really is beautifully consistent
    >> with the way Microsoft treats standards and even their own APIs,
    >> including their disregard for the problems caused to everyone connected
    >> with software.

    > Excellent point.

    You wouldn't know a good point if it was labeled.
    Sod off.

  12. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Matt wrote:

    snip

    Matt
    please show some respect for the others in this group by not feeding this
    troll, please, just place him in your kill file.

  13. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    none of your buisiness writes:

    > Matt wrote:
    >
    > snip
    >
    > Matt
    > please show some respect for the others in this group by not feeding this
    > troll, please, just place him in your kill file.

    Matt needs to be schooled. For some reason he thinks that the "English
    Language" has some sort of formal grammar which covers all dialects and,
    in addition to that, that the usage of a local dialect is akin to making
    a mistake with a syntax error in a program's code. Why I don't know since
    the differences should be obvious to anyone.

    --
    "Its obvious Micoshaft sponsored frauds and net stalkers are now attacking individuals directly in organised gangs in linux advocacy newsgroups as predicted since it is known micoshaft is failing in the market place."
    7, COLA Linux "advocate" and nutjob.

  14. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    chrisv wrote:
    > Matt wrote:
    >
    >> dennis@home wrote:
    >>
    >>> English is a living language and it changes.
    >>> I am English and I can use it as I feel fit.
    >>> The minor errors did not cause a problem in understanding for most people.
    >>> HTH.

    >> That antisocial attitude toward English really is beautifully consistent
    >> with the way Microsoft treats standards and even their own APIs,
    >> including their disregard for the problems caused to everyone connected
    >> with software.

    > Excellent point.

    Yes, there it is staring us in the face ... We'll send to a few
    thousand programmers a questionnaire to measure their attitudes toward
    grammar. Then we'll look at correlations between such attitudes and the
    software tools they use day to day.

  15. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Matt writes:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >> Matt wrote:

    >>> That antisocial attitude toward English really is beautifully
    >>> consistent with the way Microsoft treats standards and even their
    >>> own APIs, including their disregard for the problems caused to
    >>> everyone connected with software.

    >> Excellent point.

    > Yes, there it is staring us in the face ... We'll send to a few
    > thousand programmers a questionnaire to measure their attitudes toward
    > grammar. Then we'll look at correlations between such attitudes and
    > the software tools they use day to day.

    Holy cow. I know some great programmers who talk "dude" "l33t"
    speak. Just who do you think you are?

  16. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    dennis@home wrote:

    > "Matt" wrote in message
    >> dennis@home wrote:
    >>
    >>> English is a living language and it changes.
    >>> I am English and I can use it as I feel fit.
    >>> The minor errors did not cause a problem in understanding for most
    >>> people.
    >>> HTH.

    >> That antisocial attitude toward English really is beautifully
    >> consistent with the way Microsoft treats standards and even their own
    >> APIs, including their disregard for the problems caused to everyone
    >> connected with software.

    > What is anti social about it?
    > Do you live in an English speaking area?
    > If you did you would know things change over time and its only the BBC
    > and a few pedants that speak "Queens English".
    > The rest of us speak in different ways.
    > If you don't like it, well I don't care all that much.
    > You are the antisocial one if you want to exclude people that don't
    > speak your definition of perfect English IMO.
    >
    > BTW document specifications aren't usually written in English but in a
    > more precise language.
    > This often results in long specifications which could have been written
    > in much less words if you accept the ambiguities that may occur.

    Better. Two missing apostrophes and one missing comma. Somewhat clumsy
    wording in a couple places. Overuse of 'Enter' key. But you're coming
    along ...

  17. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Hadron wrote:

    > Holy cow. I know some great programmers who talk "dude" "l33t"
    > speak.

    It isn't their fault. What is l33t?

  18. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Matt wrote:

    > dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >> English is a living language and it changes.
    >> I am English and I can use it as I feel fit.

    Speaking as an Englishman, I can assure you that "dimwit@home" does /not/
    represent the vast majority of us on /any/ way!

    >> The minor errors did not cause a problem in understanding for most
    >> people. HTH.

    The first "dimwit@home" error was to find a newsreader. The second was to
    try to use it.

    > That antisocial attitude toward English really is beautifully consistent
    > with the way Microsoft treats standards and even their own APIs,
    > including their disregard for the problems caused to everyone connected
    > with software.

    That's a remarkably good analogy. Hardon and dimwit both appear incapable
    of rational thought or reasoned debate. Both are best killfiled!

    C.

  19. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Matt wrote:

    >> What is anti social about it?

    The assumption that incorrect usage is acceptable. The grammatical rules
    and accepted usage of the English language are well known and very precise.

    >> Do you live in an English speaking area?

    We speak /proper/ English here.

    >> If you did you would know things change over time and its only the BBC
    >> and a few pedants that speak "Queens English".

    We Londoners (that don't speak "Estuary" English) are /very/ close to that
    which might be described as "Queen's English". We are not "pedants" nor
    are we BBC broadcasters - we just enjoy the language /as/ /it/ /is/ /meant/
    /to/ /be/ /spoken/ - not the corrupted vowels and arbitrary usage found in
    many other "Enlgish"-speaking places.

    >> The rest of us speak in different ways.

    That /certainly/ doesn't make your usage in any way correct. Those of us
    who /do/ speak "Queen's English" find regional accents and usages quite
    painful on the ear.

    >> If you don't like it, well I don't care all that much.

    If you're a Brummie, Scouser or Geordie, that's all too plain. It also
    means that you appear stupid to prospective employers, and will be
    consigned to the lowliest of jobs for life.

    >> You are the antisocial one if you want to exclude people that don't
    >> speak your definition of perfect English IMO.

    Not at all. If you don't speak in an accent similar to mine, (in /this/
    country) you'll suffer for it throughout life!

    >> BTW document specifications aren't usually written in English but in a
    >> more precise language.
    >> This often results in long specifications which could have been written
    >> in much less words if you accept the ambiguities that may occur.

    That's just about as wrong as it's possible to be! /I/ write specifications
    for software and hardware. Mostly they're written in English. Sometimes,
    software specifications will be written in code, to eliminate
    ambiguities, /not/ in "more precise language".

    > Better. Two missing apostrophes and one missing comma. Somewhat clumsy
    > wording in a couple places. Overuse of 'Enter' key. But you're coming
    > along ...

    Forget it - it's a lost cause...

    C.

  20. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Hadron wrote:

    > Holy cow. I know some great programmers who talk "dude" "l33t"
    > speak.

    Not a surprising declaration. It's obvious by now that all the
    "programmers" you think you know are wannabes and script kiddies. That
    is, after all, your peer group.