Linux hits 6.1% on March! - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux hits 6.1% on March! - Linux ; "caver1" stated in post 47f7c8a2$0$24079$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/5/08 11:44 AM: > Hadron wrote: >> Snit writes: >> >>> "Rick" stated in post >>> c-mdnVx-bt3cPGvanZ2dnUVZ_o_inZ2d@supernews.com on 4/4/08 2:44 PM: >>> >>>>> OOXML is open, that goes over your head. >>>> No, it ...

  1. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    "caver1" stated in post
    47f7c8a2$0$24079$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/5/08 11:44 AM:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Snit writes:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> c-mdnVx-bt3cPGvanZ2dnUVZ_o_inZ2d@supernews.com on 4/4/08 2:44 PM:

    >>> -----
    >>> Office Open XML (often referred to as OOXML or OpenXML) is a
    >>> free and open XML-based international standard for representing
    >>> electronic documents such as spreadsheets, charts, presentations
    >>> and word processing documents.
    >>> -----
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.ecma-international.org/ne...XML%20White%20
    >>> Paper.pdf>
    >>> -----
    >>> Office Open XML (OpenXML) is a proposed open standard for
    >>> word-processing documents, presentations, and spreadsheets
    >>> -----
    >>>
    >>> You were saying?

    >> Considering Rick can't grasp the importance of a consistent User
    >> Interface for users I am astonished that he now thinks anyone will
    >> listen to his "views" on Open Standards.
    >>
    >> COLA is getting wackier by the day.

    > Being that MS keeps moving target where is their consistency?
    > caver1

    Who said Windows and the programs on it (even from MS) were a good example
    of consistency? Office 2007 is better, but here are some screen shots from
    Office 2003:

    * How many dots should be on the menu bar... three or four?
    * In the title bar what should come first: the name of the program
    or the name of the file?
    * What icons should be under the big red X?
    * Should Help be the last item on the menu or not? Of variable what
    are the rules?
    * Should there be an application icon on the left hand side of the
    title bar?
    * What do brackets around something in the title bar mean? Parenthesis?

    On and on.

    With Office 2007 MS actually did a much better job of making the programs in
    the suite have a consistent look (except the ones which have yet to get the
    new look!)

    --
    "Innovation is not about saying yes to everything. It's about saying NO to
    all but the most crucial features." -- Steve Jobs

  2. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    "Hadron" stated in post
    ft8g9j$4i1$2@registered.motzarella.org on 4/5/08 11:26 AM:

    > Snit writes:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> c-mdnVx-bt3cPGvanZ2dnUVZ_o_inZ2d@supernews.com on 4/4/08 2:44 PM:

    >>> No, it isn't.

    >> -----
    >> Office Open XML (often referred to as OOXML or OpenXML) is a
    >> free and open XML-based international standard for representing
    >> electronic documents such as spreadsheets, charts, presentations
    >> and word processing documents.
    >> -----
    >>
    >> <http://www.ecma-international.org/ne...XML%20White%20
    >> Paper.pdf>
    >> -----
    >> Office Open XML (OpenXML) is a proposed open standard for
    >> word-processing documents, presentations, and spreadsheets
    >> -----
    >>
    >> You were saying?

    > Considering Rick can't grasp the importance of a consistent User
    > Interface for users I am astonished that he now thinks anyone will
    > listen to his "views" on Open Standards.
    >
    > COLA is getting wackier by the day.

    Still less whacky than CSMA... by far.

    --
    When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how
    to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not

  3. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    caver1 writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Snit writes:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> c-mdnVx-bt3cPGvanZ2dnUVZ_o_inZ2d@supernews.com on 4/4/08 2:44 PM:

    >>> -----
    >>> Office Open XML (often referred to as OOXML or OpenXML) is a
    >>> free and open XML-based international standard for representing
    >>> electronic documents such as spreadsheets, charts, presentations
    >>> and word processing documents.
    >>> -----
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.ecma-international.org/ne...XML%20White%20
    >>> Paper.pdf>
    >>> -----
    >>> Office Open XML (OpenXML) is a proposed open standard for
    >>> word-processing documents, presentations, and spreadsheets
    >>> -----
    >>>
    >>> You were saying?

    >> Considering Rick can't grasp the importance of a consistent User
    >> Interface for users I am astonished that he now thinks anyone will
    >> listen to his "views" on Open Standards.
    >>
    >> COLA is getting wackier by the day.

    > Being that MS keeps moving target where is their consistency?
    > caver1

    I have no idea what you are talking about.

    --
    "Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasing. Do again screen-shot of same text. Compare both. They are exactly the same."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA, explaining Anti Aliasing ....

  4. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    "Hadron" stated in post
    ft8g9j$4i1$2@registered.motzarella.org on 4/5/08 11:26 AM:

    > Snit writes:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> c-mdnVx-bt3cPGvanZ2dnUVZ_o_inZ2d@supernews.com on 4/4/08 2:44 PM:

    >>> No, it isn't.

    >> -----
    >> Office Open XML (often referred to as OOXML or OpenXML) is a
    >> free and open XML-based international standard for representing
    >> electronic documents such as spreadsheets, charts, presentations
    >> and word processing documents.
    >> -----
    >>
    >> <http://www.ecma-international.org/ne...XML%20White%20
    >> Paper.pdf>
    >> -----
    >> Office Open XML (OpenXML) is a proposed open standard for
    >> word-processing documents, presentations, and spreadsheets
    >> -----
    >>
    >> You were saying?

    > Considering Rick can't grasp the importance of a consistent User
    > Interface for users I am astonished that he now thinks anyone will
    > listen to his "views" on Open Standards.
    >
    > COLA is getting wackier by the day.

    Rick 1:
    Millions have formatted a disk and installed Linux without problems.

    Rick 2:
    The fact is, very few people know about it [Linux].

    Does Rick even know what Rick believes?

    --
    Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.
    --Albert Einstein

  5. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Hadron wrote:
    > caver1 writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> Considering Rick can't grasp the importance of a consistent User
    >>> Interface for users I am astonished that he now thinks anyone will
    >>> listen to his "views" on Open Standards.
    >>>
    >>> COLA is getting wackier by the day.

    >> Being that MS keeps moving target where is their consistency?
    >> caver1
    >>

    > I have no idea what you are talking about.

    You sure do weasel out when you're wrong.
    caver1

  6. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    "caver1" stated in post
    47f7f599$0$6475$4c368faf@roadrunner.com on 4/5/08 2:56 PM:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> caver1 writes:

    >>> Being that MS keeps moving target where is their consistency?
    >>> caver1
    >>>

    >> I have no idea what you are talking about.
    >>

    > You sure do weasel out when you're wrong.
    > caver1

    So what the heck is he talking about?

    --
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
    conscientious stupidity. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

  7. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 16:39:09 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:

    > netcat wrote:
    >
    > [... Fraunhofer's "All Rights Reserved" reference code ...]
    >
    >> LAME is careful to stay within the terms of that license.

    > What license? Could you please share a link to that license? I want to
    > know the exact terms of that (patent) license within which LAME "is
    > careful to stay."

    Look up the ISO reference code and download it. It's accompanied by the
    terms of use.

    >> > LAME's "excuses" are, well, lame and laughable. The only reason why
    >> > Fraunhofer doesn't shutdown LAME ("Whoever actively induces
    >> > infringement of a patent shall be liable as an infringer" 35 USC 271)
    >> > is that LAME does bring income to Fraunhofer. To wit:

    >> When LAME first came out, Fraunhofer wanted in the worst way to shut it
    >> down. They were unable to do so because they lacked legal grounds.

    > Could you please share some evidence (that you apparently poses)
    > regarding that legal battle (allegedly lost by Fraunhofer)?

    Where did I say there were any legal battles?

  8. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    dennis@home had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 03-04-08 23:17:

    > Just imagine
    > how much extra tax you would have to pay if you had to support the
    > people that make cash from M$.
    > You might think OSS is free, but not if it kills a large part of the IT
    > industry.

    Just imagine the whole internet mafia had not arisen because of MS
    Windows' inherent insecurity.
    Just imagine the whole security industry had not arisen because of the
    arising of the internet mafia.
    All these people do indeed make a lot af cash; what a pity if this part
    of the IT industry were killed off.

    And who is to pay all this cash? We, the end-users of course.

    Erik Jan

  9. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    * dennis@home peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    >
    >> He apparently trusts Microsoft. I don't, and won't, until I see
    >> well-known commercial products using Microsoft formats in Linux products
    >> with Microsoft keeping silent about it, and not negotiating license fees.

    > Well that is a well chosen test, which well known commercial apps are
    > available for linux in the first place and why don't they use their own
    > format anyway?

    Idiot. First, your "sentence" barely parses. Second, the whole point
    is /not/ to create new formats to gain openness. The point is that all
    formats should be open.

    > Anyway didn't M$ say if its for commercial use you had to
    > negotiate. Talk about prejudging the outcome.

    Thanks, dennis, for verifying that no one in open-source can /ever/
    trust Microsoft.

    Microsoft will not allow commercial usage of open source that
    "infringes" on their "technology".

    What a promise Microsoft makes.

    --
    If you can't make it good, at least make it look good.
    -- Bill Gates

  10. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    * dennis@home peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> You seem to want vendors to be able to choose to use closed formats and
    >> protocols. Why is that?

    > Why don't you?
    > What do you have against competition?

    That's not "competition". That is an attempt to create a small
    monopoly.

    > You can't have competition in a world where everything does the same and
    > costs the same.

    Who is asking for such a world? We simply want to be able to access our
    documents without having to purchase one (and only one) vendor's
    product.

    --
    About 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but people don't pay
    for the software. Someday they will, though. As long as they are going to

  11. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    "Erik Jan" wrote in message
    > dennis@home had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 03-04-08 23:17:
    >>

    >> Just imagine how much extra tax you would have to pay if you had to
    >> support the people that make cash from M$.
    >> You might think OSS is free, but not if it kills a large part of the IT
    >> industry.
    >>

    > Just imagine the whole internet mafia had not arisen because of MS
    > Windows' inherent insecurity.
    > Just imagine the whole security industry had not arisen because of the
    > arising of the internet mafia.
    > All these people do indeed make a lot af cash; what a pity if this part of
    > the IT industry were killed off.
    >
    > And who is to pay all this cash? We, the end-users of course.

    Just imagine.. the first worms were all unix based.. I expect whichever OS
    were on the Internet would be hacked.

    > Erik Jan

  12. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:IQ4Kj.26980$Er2.4861@bignews6.bellsouth.net.. .
    > * dennis@home peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> He apparently trusts Microsoft. I don't, and won't, until I see
    >>> well-known commercial products using Microsoft formats in Linux products
    >>> with Microsoft keeping silent about it, and not negotiating license
    >>> fees.

    >> Well that is a well chosen test, which well known commercial apps are
    >> available for linux in the first place and why don't they use their own
    >> format anyway?

    > Idiot. First, your "sentence" barely parses.

    If you think my sentence has a problem you should try reading yours. It is
    your problem with English that is making mine difficult for you to
    understand.
    Let me break it down for you..

    "Well that is a well chosen test," a statement that you choose the test
    well, its also sarcasm in case you missed it.

    "which well known commercial apps are available for linux in the first
    place", a question which you ignored.

    "and why don't they use their own format anyway?" a second question which
    you ignored.

    You may also notice that there are commas and a question mark which are
    there to help you understand, but which in your case don't.

    > Second, the whole point
    > is /not/ to create new formats to gain openness. The point is that all
    > formats should be open.

    And you say my sentence doesn't parse.. yours parses but makes no sense at
    all.

    >> Anyway didn't M$ say if its for commercial use you had to
    >> negotiate. Talk about prejudging the outcome.

    > Thanks, dennis, for verifying that no one in open-source can /ever/
    > trust Microsoft.

    What has open source got to with this, this is an open standard.
    You were the one that introduced commercial linux apps and they don't need
    to be open source at all.

    I think you are just too stupid to understand.

    > Microsoft will not allow commercial usage of open source that
    > "infringes" on their "technology".
    >
    > What a promise Microsoft makes.

  13. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:AS4Kj.26981$Er2.17932@bignews6.bellsouth.net. ..
    > * dennis@home peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >>> You seem to want vendors to be able to choose to use closed formats and
    >>> protocols. Why is that?

    >> Why don't you?
    >> What do you have against competition?

    > That's not "competition". That is an attempt to create a small
    > monopoly.
    >
    >> You can't have competition in a world where everything does the same and
    >> costs the same.

    > Who is asking for such a world? We simply want to be able to access our
    > documents without having to purchase one (and only one) vendor's
    > product.

    Don't produce /your/ documents in one of their formats then!
    You really are being stupid.

  14. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    dennis@home wrote:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    > news:AS4Kj.26981$Er2.17932@bignews6.bellsouth.net. ..
    >> * dennis@home peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Why don't you?
    >>> What do you have against competition?

    >> That's not "competition". That is an attempt to create a small
    >> monopoly.
    >>
    >>> You can't have competition in a world where everything does the same and
    >>> costs the same.

    >> Who is asking for such a world? We simply want to be able to access our
    >> documents without having to purchase one (and only one) vendor's
    >> product.

    > Don't produce /your/ documents in one of their formats then!
    > You really are being stupid.

    Its not that we won't use certain documents. Its that MS doesn't want
    anyone to unless they are using a MS product.
    When a Corporation tries to control standards then they will be closed.
    As does MS.
    caver1

  15. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    caver1 writes:

    > dennis@home wrote:
    >>

    >> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >> news:AS4Kj.26981$Er2.17932@bignews6.bellsouth.net. ..
    >>> * dennis@home peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> That's not "competition". That is an attempt to create a small
    >>> monopoly.

    >>> Who is asking for such a world? We simply want to be able to access our
    >>> documents without having to purchase one (and only one) vendor's
    >>> product.

    >> Don't produce /your/ documents in one of their formats then!
    >> You really are being stupid.
    >>

    > Its not that we won't use certain documents. Its that MS doesn't want
    > anyone to unless they are using a MS product.
    > When a Corporation tries to control standards then they will be closed.
    > As does MS.
    > caver1

    What are you talking about? Seriously. You keep talking about things
    which are out and out lies. Loads of SW has Office layers. YOu even have
    Wine for crying outside. OOXML is an open standard. Where is this "not
    allowed" garbage you keep spouting?

    --
    Joy: Hey, I'm an asshole. Assholes emit odious gas.
    That's what we do.

  16. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > proven liar dumbass@home wrote:
    >>
    >> You live in a fantasy world if you haven't seen the linux folks who are
    >> always claiming that you can't hide stuff, that linux can't get
    >> attacked, etc. Try looking in the real world and you should find it in
    >> a few minutes. I will give you a clue.. google, alias, nonstop, peter,
    >> linux are a few good words to use to find such cr@p.

    > So, you can't actually point to such a claim and are therefore making up
    > stories to bolster the sagging credibility of your argument.

    Why is it seemingly impossible for Wintrolls to advocate their Windoze
    without being bald-faced liars? Why can't they just say "I like Windoze
    better" and move on, without all the lying?

  17. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Hadron wrote:
    > caver1 writes:
    >
    >> dennis@home wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >>> news:AS4Kj.26981$Er2.17932@bignews6.bellsouth.net. ..

    >>> Don't produce /your/ documents in one of their formats then!
    >>> You really are being stupid.
    >>>

    >> Its not that we won't use certain documents. Its that MS doesn't want
    >> anyone to unless they are using a MS product.
    >> When a Corporation tries to control standards then they will be closed.
    >> As does MS.
    >> caver1

    > What are you talking about? Seriously. You keep talking about things
    > which are out and out lies. Loads of SW has Office layers. YOu even have
    > Wine for crying outside. OOXML is an open standard. Where is this "not
    > allowed" garbage you keep spouting?

    Prove me wrong.
    caver1

  18. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    Hadron wrote:
    > caver1 writes:
    >
    >> dennis@home wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >>> news:AS4Kj.26981$Er2.17932@bignews6.bellsouth.net. ..

    >>> Don't produce /your/ documents in one of their formats then!
    >>> You really are being stupid.
    >>>

    >> Its not that we won't use certain documents. Its that MS doesn't want
    >> anyone to unless they are using a MS product.
    >> When a Corporation tries to control standards then they will be closed.
    >> As does MS.
    >> caver1

    > What are you talking about? Seriously. You keep talking about things
    > which are out and out lies. Loads of SW has Office layers. YOu even have
    > Wine for crying outside. OOXML is an open standard. Where is this "not
    > allowed" garbage you keep spouting?

    MS really didn't concede to let others in until the EU forced them to.
    Many court cases have proven that MS tries to keep every one out.
    A monolithic society is no good. Just imagine if everyone was like you.
    who would you ever argue with let alone claim you.
    And no I am not a liar. Which is one term you like to throw around when
    a point has you beaten.
    caver1

  19. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    caver1 writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> caver1 writes:

    >>> Its not that we won't use certain documents. Its that MS doesn't want
    >>> anyone to unless they are using a MS product.
    >>> When a Corporation tries to control standards then they will be closed.
    >>> As does MS.
    >>> caver1

    >> What are you talking about? Seriously. You keep talking about things
    >> which are out and out lies. Loads of SW has Office layers. YOu even have
    >> Wine for crying outside. OOXML is an open standard. Where is this "not
    >> allowed" garbage you keep spouting?
    >>

    > Prove me wrong.
    > caver1

    Err, yet again, I just did. What is it with you?

  20. Re: Linux hits 6.1% on March!

    caver1 writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> caver1 writes:

    >>> Its not that we won't use certain documents. Its that MS doesn't want
    >>> anyone to unless they are using a MS product.
    >>> When a Corporation tries to control standards then they will be closed.
    >>> As does MS.
    >>> caver1

    >> What are you talking about? Seriously. You keep talking about things
    >> which are out and out lies. Loads of SW has Office layers. YOu even have
    >> Wine for crying outside. OOXML is an open standard. Where is this "not
    >> allowed" garbage you keep spouting?
    >>

    > MS really didn't concede to let others in until the EU forced them to.
    > Many court cases have proven that MS tries to keep every one out.
    > A monolithic society is no good. Just imagine if everyone was like you.
    > who would you ever argue with let alone claim you.
    > And no I am not a liar. Which is one term you like to throw around
    > when a point has you beaten.
    > caver1

    beaten? Huh? You're quite crazy. I use MS Office formats daily in
    OO. Also in Wine. I also run Windows under VMWare.