Dell decides to support linux and now has to lay off 8,800 employees. - Linux

This is a discussion on Dell decides to support linux and now has to lay off 8,800 employees. - Linux ; Just experimenting with linux nearly killed Dell. The hidden costs of linux are deadly to any company that goes near the software. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080331/...TM_lw1arOs0NUE Dell Inc. is also reaffirming its plan - announced last year - to cut at least 8,800 ...

  1. Dell decides to support linux and now has to lay off 8,800 employees.

    Just experimenting with linux nearly killed Dell. The hidden costs of linux
    are deadly to any company that goes near the software.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080331/...TM_lw1arOs0NUE

    Dell Inc. is also reaffirming its plan - announced last year - to cut at
    least 8,800 jobs, or about 10 percent of its work force. In the last nine
    months of fiscal 2008, the Round Rock, Texas-based company cut 3,200 jobs.

  2. Re: Dell decides to support linux and now has to lay off 8,800 employees.

    Ezekiel wrote:

    > Just experimenting with linux nearly killed Dell. The hidden costs of
    > linux are deadly to any company that goes near the software.

    Actually it was the lack of computer sales as Micro$haft failed to deliver a
    viable new OS. Vista has hurt those depended on the upgrade cycle.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  3. Re: Dell decides to support linux and now has to lay off 8,800employees.

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 17:24:32 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > Just experimenting with linux nearly killed Dell. The hidden costs of
    > linux are deadly to any company that goes near the software.
    >

    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080331/ap_on_hi_te/

    dell_savings;_ylt=ArOTR0gIwXwAn2TM_lw1arOs0NUE

    > Dell Inc. is also reaffirming its plan - announced last year - to cut at
    > least 8,800 jobs, or about 10 percent of its work force. In the last
    > nine months of fiscal 2008, the Round Rock, Texas-based company cut
    > 3,200 jobs.

    Very peculiar. I found no reference to Linux in the entire article!!

  4. Re: Dell decides to support linux and now has to lay off 8,800 employees.

    RonB wrote:
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> Just experimenting with linux nearly killed Dell. The hidden costs of
    >> linux are deadly to any company that goes near the software.

    > Actually it was the lack of computer sales as Micro$haft failed to
    > deliver a viable new OS. Vista has hurt those depended on the upgrade
    > cycle.

    But Vista is the fastest selling OS in history, WRonG.

    Always clueless, aren'tcha?

  5. Re: Dell decides to support linux and now has to lay off 8,800 employees.

    OK wrote:

    > Riiiight. Now go back to the kindergarten.

    Nah, I got tired of watching you pick you boogers.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  6. Re: Dell decides to support linux and now has to lay off 8,800employees.

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:44:38 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > RonB wrote:
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just experimenting with linux nearly killed Dell. The hidden costs of
    >>> linux are deadly to any company that goes near the software.

    >> Actually it was the lack of computer sales as Micro$haft failed to
    >> deliver a viable new OS. Vista has hurt those depended on the upgrade
    >> cycle.

    > But Vista is the fastest selling OS in history, WRonG.
    >
    > Always clueless, aren'tcha?

    .... and yet Dell lays of employees.

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: Dell decides to support linux and now has to lay off 8,800 employees.

    * RonB peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> Just experimenting with linux nearly killed Dell.

    Pffffffffffft. There goes another keyboard.

    >> The hidden costs of
    >> linux are deadly to any company that goes near the software.

    > Actually it was the lack of computer sales as Micro$haft failed to deliver a
    > viable new OS. Vista has hurt those depended on the upgrade cycle.

    --
    The finest pieces of software are those where one individual has a complete
    sense of exactly how the program works. To have that, you have to really

  8. Re: Dell decides to support linux and now has to lay off 8,800 employees.

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:44:38 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >> RonB wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Actually it was the lack of computer sales as Micro$haft failed to
    >>> deliver a viable new OS. Vista has hurt those depended on the upgrade
    >>> cycle.

    >> But Vista is the fastest selling OS in history, WRonG.
    >>
    >> Always clueless, aren'tcha?

    > ... and yet Dell lays of employees.

    It's like those "blockbuster" theater sales. They get bigger and bigger
    every year as the Earth's population rises, while the movies just get
    schlockier.

    --
    It turns out Luddites don't know how to use software properly, so you should
    look into that. -- The reason we come up with new versions is not to fix

  9. Re: Dell decides to support linux and now has to lay off 8,800 employees.

    RonB wrote:

    >Well, since "no one" use Linux, I'm quite sure the bigger problem for Dell
    >was the crapware (aka Vista ME) that inspired so little interest in buying
    >a new computer. Micro$haft just can't "pack 'em in" like they used too --
    >no matter how shrill the shills.

    Indeed. Linux machines are too small a fraction of their business to
    have a large effect one way or the other. It's Micro$oft's flop of an
    OS that doing the damage...

  10. Re: Dell decides to support Vista and now has to lay off 8,800 employees.

    * High Plains Thumper peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> Just experimenting with linux nearly killed Dell. The hidden
    >> costs of linux are deadly to any company that goes near the
    >> software.
    >>
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080331/...TM_lw1arOs0NUE
    >>
    >> Dell Inc. is also reaffirming its plan - announced
    >> last year - to cut at least 8,800 jobs, or about 10 percent of
    >> its work force. In the last nine months of fiscal 2008, the
    >> Round Rock, Texas-based company cut 3,200 jobs.

    > Au contraire, Linux had nothing to do with it:
    >
    > http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...soft.microsoft
    >
    > [quote]
    > DSG, which runs Dixons, PC World and Currys, warned yesterday
    > that disappointing sales of Microsoft's Vista operating system
    > have cost it 20m in lost profit.

    If you haven't already done so, it's time to put "Ezekiel" in the
    ****ing-liar's bin.

    --
    The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way to
    factor large prime numbers.

  11. Re: Dell decides to support Vista and now has to lay off 8,800 employees.

    Linonut wrote:

    >If you haven't already done so, it's time to put "Ezekiel" in the
    >****ing-liar's bin.

    Done it. 8)

  12. Re: Dell decides to support linux and now has to lay off 8,800 employees.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel

    wrote
    <47f14b17$0$26070$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:
    > Just experimenting with linux nearly killed Dell. The hidden costs of linux
    > are deadly to any company that goes near the software.
    >

    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080331/...TM_lw1arOs0NUE
    >

    > Dell Inc. is also reaffirming its plan - announced last year - to cut at
    > least 8,800 jobs, or about 10 percent of its work force. In the last nine
    > months of fiscal 2008, the Round Rock, Texas-based company cut 3,200 jobs.

    An interesting lie. If Linux accounted for only about
    0.5%-1.0% of Dell's sales, why are they cutting 10%
    of their production capacity because of it? Are these
    "hidden costs" *10-20 times* the Microsoft costs, which
    run into the billions (mostly because of malware)?

    And if Linux accounts for 10% of their sales and they no
    longer can sell it for some reason (thereby necessitating
    the layoff), why do others report the 0.5%-1.0% figure?

    Stay tuned.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux makes one use one's mind.
    Windows just messes with one's head.