Hundreds of Heathrow flights cancelled because of buggy (linux) computer system. - Linux

This is a discussion on Hundreds of Heathrow flights cancelled because of buggy (linux) computer system. - Linux ; http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...TRohubZVCs0NUE More troubles at Heathrow's new terminal Almost 300 flights have been scrapped and some 15,000 bags separated from their owners since the state of the art terminal opened last Thursday. Airport operators say the problems were triggered by glitches ...

  1. Hundreds of Heathrow flights cancelled because of buggy (linux) computer system.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...TRohubZVCs0NUE

    More troubles at Heathrow's new terminal

    Almost 300 flights have been scrapped and some 15,000 bags separated from
    their owners since the state of the art terminal opened last Thursday.
    Airport operators say the problems were triggered by glitches with the
    terminal's high-tech baggage-handling system.

  2. Re: Hundreds of Heathrow flights cancelled because of buggy (linux)computer system.

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:40:16 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20080331/ap_tr_ge/

    travel_brief_britain_heathrow_terminal5;_ylt=AoVuC 3j_cqcPK7TRohubZVCs0NUE

    > More troubles at Heathrow's new terminal
    >

    > Almost 300 flights have been scrapped and some 15,000 bags separated
    > from their owners since the state of the art terminal opened last
    > Thursday. Airport operators say the problems were triggered by glitches
    > with the terminal's high-tech baggage-handling system.

    Very peculiar - no mention of Linux in the entire article!!

  3. Re: Hundreds of Heathrow flights cancelled because of buggy (linux) computer system.

    ray wrote:

    > Very peculiar - no mention of Linux in the entire article!!

    Could it be because "Ezekial" is a lying troll?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  4. Re: Hundreds of Heathrow flights cancelled because of buggy (linux)computer system.

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:40:16 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20080331/ap_tr_ge/

    travel_brief_britain_heathrow_terminal5;_ylt=AoVuC 3j_cqcPK7TRohubZVCs0NUE

    > More troubles at Heathrow's new terminal
    >

    > Almost 300 flights have been scrapped and some 15,000 bags separated
    > from their owners since the state of the art terminal opened last
    > Thursday. Airport operators say the problems were triggered by glitches
    > with the terminal's high-tech baggage-handling system.

    Where's the reference to Linux software? What software was it?

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: Hundreds of Heathrow flights cancelled because of buggy (linux) computer system.

    * ray peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:40:16 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20080331/ap_tr_ge/

    > travel_brief_britain_heathrow_terminal5;_ylt=AoVuC 3j_cqcPK7TRohubZVCs0NUE
    >>

    >> More troubles at Heathrow's new terminal
    >>
    >> Almost 300 flights have been scrapped and some 15,000 bags separated
    >> from their owners since the state of the art terminal opened last
    >> Thursday. Airport operators say the problems were triggered by glitches
    >> with the terminal's high-tech baggage-handling system.
    >>

    > Very peculiar - no mention of Linux in the entire article!!

    I think "Ezekiel" (the "Teranews Troll", or "TT", pronounced "tee-tee")
    can safely be plonked by anyway.

    His claims are so ridiculous that even the newbie fresh to COLA will not
    believe.

    I'm not sure why he bothers. Surely he knows his lack of credibility is
    patent.

    --
    Probably the most dangerous and powerful industrialist of our age.
    -- Scott McNealy, of Sun Microsystems

  6. Re: Hundreds of Heathrow flights cancelled because of buggy (linux)computer system.

    On Apr 1, 6:09*am, Rick wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:40:16 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    > >http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20080331/ap_tr_ge/

    > travel_brief_britain_heathrow_terminal5;_ylt=AoVuC 3j_cqcPK7TRohubZVCs0NUE
    >

    > > More troubles at Heathrow's new terminal
    >
    > > Almost 300 flights have been scrapped and some 15,000 bags separated
    > > from their owners since the state of the art terminal opened last
    > > Thursday. Airport operators say the problems were triggered by glitches
    > > with the terminal's high-tech baggage-handling system.

    > Where's the reference to Linux software? What software was it?

    When something bad happens why are you assuming it's Linux related?

  7. Re: Hundreds of Heathrow flights cancelled because of buggy (linux)computer system.

    Rick wrote:
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...TRohubZVCs0NUE
    >>

    >> More troubles at Heathrow's new terminal
    >>
    >> Almost 300 flights have been scrapped and some 15,000 bags
    >> separated from their owners since the state of the art
    >> terminal opened last Thursday. Airport operators say the
    >> problems were triggered by glitches with the terminal's
    >> high-tech baggage-handling system.
    >>

    > Where's the reference to Linux software? What software was it?

    It is just another off-topic, vague post by one of our prolific
    nym-shifting trolls.

    There were no references to the software. Perhaps they adopted
    the Denver baggage handling system? :-)

    --
    HPT

  8. Re: Hundreds of Heathrow flights cancelled because of buggy (linux) computer system.

    ray wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:40:16 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > Very peculiar - no mention of Linux in the entire article!!

    It's just another lying wintroll. Plonk it & have done with it.

    --
    Mandriva - 2008.1 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: Hundreds of Heathrow flights cancelled because of buggy (linux) computer system.

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:40:16 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...TRohubZVCs0NUE
    >

    > More troubles at Heathrow's new terminal
    >

    > Almost 300 flights have been scrapped and some 15,000 bags separated from
    > their owners since the state of the art terminal opened last Thursday.
    > Airport operators say the problems were triggered by glitches with the
    > terminal's high-tech baggage-handling system.

    Yea...
    The system probably sent everyone's bags to Helsinki.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  10. Re: Hundreds of Heathrow flights cancelled because of buggy (linux) computer system.

    On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:48:59 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:40:16 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...TRohubZVCs0NUE
    >>

    >> More troubles at Heathrow's new terminal
    >>

    >> Almost 300 flights have been scrapped and some 15,000 bags separated from
    >> their owners since the state of the art terminal opened last Thursday.
    >> Airport operators say the problems were triggered by glitches with the
    >> terminal's high-tech baggage-handling system.
    >>

    >Yea...
    >The system probably sent everyone's bags to Helsinki.

    E.T. calling home ;-)

  11. Re: Hundreds of Heathrow flights cancelled because of buggy (linux)computer system.

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 04:18:05 -0700, cc wrote:

    > On Apr 1, 6:09*am, Rick wrote:
    >> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:40:16 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >> >http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20080331/ap_tr_ge/

    travel_brief_britain_heathrow_terminal5;_ylt=AoVuC 3j_cqcPK7TRohubZVCs0NUE

    >> > More troubles at Heathrow's new terminal
    >>
    >> > Almost 300 flights have been scrapped and some 15,000 bags separated
    >> > from their owners since the state of the art terminal opened last
    >> > Thursday. Airport operators say the problems were triggered by
    >> > glitches with the terminal's high-tech baggage-handling system.

    >> Where's the reference to Linux software? What software was it?
    >>

    > When something bad happens why are you assuming it's Linux related?

    I am not the one making the assumption. I was asking the person that
    started the thread whee the reference is.

    --
    Rick

  12. Re: Hundreds of Heathrow flights cancelled because of buggy (linux)computer system.

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:48:59 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:40:16 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20080331/ap_tr_ge/

    travel_brief_britain_heathrow_terminal5;_ylt=AoVuC 3j_cqcPK7TRohubZVCs0NUE

    >> More troubles at Heathrow's new terminal
    >>

    >> Almost 300 flights have been scrapped and some 15,000 bags separated
    >> from their owners since the state of the art terminal opened last
    >> Thursday. Airport operators say the problems were triggered by glitches
    >> with the terminal's high-tech baggage-handling system.
    >>

    > Yea...
    > The system probably sent everyone's bags to Helsinki.

    .... and where is the reference to Linux software?

    --
    Rick

  13. Re: Hundreds of Heathrow flights cancelled because of buggy (linux)computer system.

    On Apr 1, 6:25*pm, Rick wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 04:18:05 -0700, cc wrote:

    > travel_brief_britain_heathrow_terminal5;_ylt=AoVuC 3j_cqcPK7TRohubZVCs0NUE

    > >> Where's the reference to Linux software? What software was it?

    > > When something bad happens why are you assuming it's Linux related?

    > I am not the one making the assumption. I was asking the person that
    > started the thread whee the reference is.

    Whoops, didn't see the complete subject.

  14. Re: Hundreds of Heathrow flights cancelled because of buggy(linux) computer system.

    "Rick" stated in post
    eKedncMLpeP4K2_anZ2dnUVZ_gednZ2d@supernews.com on 4/1/08 3:25 PM:

    > whee

    wheeeeeee!

    --
    God made me an atheist - who are you to question his authority?

  15. Re: Hundreds of Heathrow flights cancelled because of buggy (linux)computer system.

    On 31 Mar, 17:40, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...vel_brief_brit...
    >

    > More troubles at Heathrow's new terminal
    >
    > Almost 300 flights have been scrapped and some 15,000 bags separated from
    > their owners since the state of the art terminal opened last Thursday.
    > Airport operators say the problems were triggered by glitches with the
    > terminal's high-tech baggage-handling system.

    Ignoring, for a momen, the fact that this is just an ignorant attempt
    at mudslinging, this is an interesting system.

    I can find no reference to Linux as a factor, either in the general
    development, or a source of the particular problem, but this is a
    fairly comprehensive description of the scale of the development:

    http://newsweaver.ie/qualtech/e_arti....cfm?x=b11,0,w

    Glancing through the hardware involved:

    "The transportation layer software is, with the exception of the flow
    control software, running on Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs).
    For T5 there are more than 200 of these PLC's each running their own
    programme"

    You'd have to guess at something proprietary and embedded for the PLCs
    and anybodies guess for the flow control software. The Vanderlande
    Industries website is similarly coy about it.

    In any case, it would be interesting to get to the facts of the
    matter:

    1) To establish where the fault lies and see if any conclusions can be
    drawn from that

    2) To establish which OS / development system they thought best suited
    to such a large scale project.

    (2) is far more important than (1). *Every* non trivial system has
    problems, it's how they are tracked and repaired that is of interest.

+ Reply to Thread