ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday - Linux

This is a discussion on ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday - Linux ; http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...19918720080331 > ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday > Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:14pm EDT > > GENEVA (Reuters) - The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) said it would reveal on Wednesday whether Microsoft (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) ...

  1. ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday

    http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...19918720080331

    > ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday
    > Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:14pm EDT
    >
    > GENEVA (Reuters) - The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) said it would reveal on Wednesday whether Microsoft (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) had won the support needed to have its document format made into a global industry standard.
    >
    > "Because ISO needs first to inform its worldwide membership of national standards bodies of these results, a press release on this subject will be issued on Wednesday, 2 April, 2008," ISO spokesman Roger Frost said in an e-mail message.

  2. Re: ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 01:09:53 +0000, Matt wrote:

    > http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...19918720080331
    >
    >> ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday Mon Mar 31, 2008
    >> 1:14pm EDT
    >>
    >> GENEVA (Reuters) - The International Organization for Standardization
    >> (ISO) said it would reveal on Wednesday whether Microsoft (MSFT.O:
    >> Quote, Profile, Research) had won the support needed to have its
    >> document format made into a global industry standard.
    >>
    >> "Because ISO needs first to inform its worldwide membership of national
    >> standards bodies of these results, a press release on this subject will
    >> be issued on Wednesday, 2 April, 2008," ISO spokesman Roger Frost said
    >> in an e-mail message.

    Is there really any doubt Microsoft will win?

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday

    Matt wrote:
    > http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...19918720080331
    >
    >> ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday
    >> Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:14pm EDT
    >>
    >> GENEVA (Reuters) - The International Organization for Standardization
    >> (ISO) said it would reveal on Wednesday whether Microsoft (MSFT.O:
    >> Quote, Profile, Research) had won the support needed to have its
    >> document format made into a global industry standard.
    >>
    >> "Because ISO needs first to inform its worldwide membership of
    >> national standards bodies of these results, a press release on this
    >> subject will be issued on Wednesday, 2 April, 2008," ISO spokesman
    >> Roger Frost said in an e-mail message.

    More:
    http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1551282538
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2211
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...ncement_1.html
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/s...ectid=10501386

  4. Re: ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday

    ____/ Rick on Tuesday 01 April 2008 02:16 : \____

    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 01:09:53 +0000, Matt wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...19918720080331
    >>
    >>> ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday Mon Mar 31, 2008
    >>> 1:14pm EDT
    >>>
    >>> GENEVA (Reuters) - The International Organization for Standardization
    >>> (ISO) said it would reveal on Wednesday whether Microsoft (MSFT.O:
    >>> Quote, Profile, Research) had won the support needed to have its
    >>> document format made into a global industry standard.
    >>>
    >>> "Because ISO needs first to inform its worldwide membership of national
    >>> standards bodies of these results, a press release on this subject will
    >>> be issued on Wednesday, 2 April, 2008," ISO spokesman Roger Frost said
    >>> in an e-mail message.

    > Is there really any doubt Microsoft will win?

    Win /what/? Bad reputation? It has done this already, so why not go for the
    jackpot.

    Experts in this opine that Microsoft may come to regret these crimes. Other
    jokingly say that people should be jailed, which is probably true, but
    Microsoft is above the law.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Microsoft loves competition.
    "I’m thinking of hitting the OEMs harder than in the past with anti-Linux. ...
    they should do a delicate dance"
    --Joachim Kempin, Microsoft OEM Chief

  5. Re: ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Rick on Tuesday 01 April 2008 02:16 : \____
    >
    >> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 01:09:53 +0000, Matt wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...19918720080331

    >> Is there really any doubt Microsoft will win?

    > Win /what/? Bad reputation? It has done this already, so why not go for the
    > jackpot.
    >
    > Experts in this opine that Microsoft may come to regret these crimes. Other
    > jokingly say that people should be jailed, which is probably true, but
    > Microsoft is above the law.

    I'm not surprised they're keeping this quiet. I wouldn't mind betting
    that Microsoft were unsuccessful, so ISO are using today, All Fools Day,
    in order to try to squeeze some more votes from somewhere.

    BSI, the British Standards Institute, has been corrupted.

  6. Re: ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 01 April 2008 07:22 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Rick on Tuesday 01 April 2008 02:16 : \____

    >>> Is there really any doubt Microsoft will win?

    >> Win /what/? Bad reputation? It has done this already, so why not go for the
    >> jackpot.
    >>
    >> Experts in this opine that Microsoft may come to regret these crimes. Other
    >> jokingly say that people should be jailed, which is probably true, but
    >> Microsoft is above the law.
    >>

    > I'm not surprised they're keeping this quiet. I wouldn't mind betting
    > that Microsoft were unsuccessful, so ISO are using today, All Fools Day,
    > in order to try to squeeze some more votes from somewhere.
    >
    > BSI, the British Standards Institute, has been corrupted.

    That's for sure, but Stephane informed me about this over a month ago when he
    saw the 'smoking gun' reappointment. That's when I said openly (in a site
    even) that BSI had been corrupted... even before I knew about the change from
    a NO to a YES (without any reason given).

    How can a corrupted national body like BSI be brought to justice? Can stuffers
    be sentenced?

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | GPL'd 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
    Swap: 1510068k total, 225036k used, 1285032k free, 106204k cached

  7. Re: ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 05:13:12 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Rick on Tuesday 01 April 2008 02:16 : \____
    >
    >> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 01:09:53 +0000, Matt wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...19918720080331

    >> Is there really any doubt Microsoft will win?

    > Win /what/? Bad reputation? It has done this already, so why not go for
    > the jackpot.

    I have no doubt OXML will become an ISO standard. It is the way of the
    world.

    > Experts in this opine that Microsoft may come to regret these crimes.
    > Other jokingly say that people should be jailed, which is probably true,
    > but Microsoft is above the law.

    .... my point, exactly.

    Maybe, just maybe, the world will publicly see Microsoft, and it's
    managers for what they are. I doubt it.

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday

    * Matt peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Matt wrote:
    >> http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...19918720080331
    >>
    >>> ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday
    >>> Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:14pm EDT
    >>>
    >>> GENEVA (Reuters) - The International Organization for Standardization
    >>> (ISO) said it would reveal on Wednesday whether Microsoft (MSFT.O:
    >>> Quote, Profile, Research) had won the support needed to have its
    >>> document format made into a global industry standard.
    >>>
    >>> "Because ISO needs first to inform its worldwide membership of
    >>> national standards bodies of these results, a press release on this
    >>> subject will be issued on Wednesday, 2 April, 2008," ISO spokesman
    >>> Roger Frost said in an e-mail message.

    > More:
    > http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1551282538
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2211
    > http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...ncement_1.html
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/s...ectid=10501386

    Will this dude be happy, or sad?

    http://www.dwheeler.com/blog/

    Fri, 21 Mar 2008
    Microsoft Office XML (OOXML) massively defective

    In my opinion, the OOXML specification should not become an
    international standard, period. I think it clearly doesn't meet the
    criteria for "fast track" - but more importantly, it doesn't meet the
    needs for being a standard at all. It completely contradicts the goal
    of "One standard, one test - Accepted everywhere", and it simply is
    not an open standard.

    --
    The finest pieces of software are those where one individual has a complete
    sense of exactly how the program works. To have that, you have to really

  9. Re: ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday

    ____/ Rick on Tuesday 01 April 2008 11:08 : \____

    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 05:13:12 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ Rick on Tuesday 01 April 2008 02:16 : \____

    >>> Is there really any doubt Microsoft will win?

    >> Win /what/? Bad reputation? It has done this already, so why not go for
    >> the jackpot.

    > I have no doubt OXML will become an ISO standard. It is the way of the
    > world.

    But at what /cost/? The US too could claim that nuking Japan had made them
    a 'winner', but it never made them popular with the east.

    >> Experts in this opine that Microsoft may come to regret these crimes.
    >> Other jokingly say that people should be jailed, which is probably true,
    >> but Microsoft is above the law.

    > ... my point, exactly.
    >
    > Maybe, just maybe, the world will publicly see Microsoft, and it's
    > managers for what they are. I doubt it.

    The least we can do is spread the word.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Maths applied to numbers is like logic applied to statistics. Statistics are
    lies.
    roy pts/3 cg093a.halls.man Tue Apr 1 08:53 still logged in

  10. Re: ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 17:56:03 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > The least we can do is spread the word.

    Especially when you are getting paid for spreading it hey Roy
    Schestowitz....

    Your masters must be very upset with you after the OOXML win.

    They funneled a good chunck of change your way in order to support your
    spamming activities.
    And now your side loses.

    Looks like they didn't get their monies worth.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  11. Re: ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    [...]
    > The least we can do is spread the word.

    Jawohl, Herr Obersturmbannführer Roy!

    http://www.ecma-international.org/ne...e_Open_XML.htm

    ------
    ISO and IEC approve Office Open XML document format standard

    The International Standards Organization (ISO) and International
    Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) have approved ISO/IEC DIS 29500,
    Office Open XML File Formats as an International Standard. Approval
    requires at least 2/3 (i.e. 66.66 %) of the votes cast by national
    bodies participating in ISO/IEC JTC 1 to be positive; and no more than
    1/4 (i.e. 25 %) of the total number of national body votes cast
    negative. Both of these criteria were achieved, with 75 % of votes cast
    by national bodies participating in ISO/IEC JTC 1 being positive and
    only 14 % of all national votes cast being negative.

    Open XML is a platform-independent open standard for word-processing
    documents, presentations and spreadsheets. The standard has been widely
    adopted by hundreds of organizations throughout the industry, and serves
    to ensure the long-term preservation of documents by maintaining
    compatibility and fostering continuing advances in the field of
    documents and information technology.

    Independent software vendors, including Apple, Corel, Microsoft and
    Novell have already shipped implementations of the Open XML standard
    within popular applications such as iWork, iPhone, WordPerfect, Open
    Office and Microsoft Office 2007.

    “ISO/IEC approval of this global standard represents an important
    milestone in our goal to support access to billions of existing binary
    documents, as well as to enable interoperability across office
    productivity applications and with line-of-business systems , ” said Dr.
    Istvan Sebestyen, Secretary General of Ecma International. “The
    constructive input provided by ISO/IEC National Bodies around the world
    to improve and clarify the DIS text has resulted in an enhanced open
    standard that meets extensive requirements to support continued
    implementation across the industry. I would like to take this
    opportunity to thank ISO, IEC, JTC 1, the National Bodies and Ecma TC45
    for their hard work and for their valuable contributions in this
    project. The process was very effective, the specification is
    much-improved, and we are pleased with the impressive support for its
    ratification.”

    IS 29500 marks the culmination of joint development efforts over the
    past two years by the members of Ecma Technical Committee 45 (TC45) and
    through its subsequent submission of the Ecma International
    specification to the ISO/IEC process for additional input from the
    global standards community.

    “ISO/IEC approval maximizes the ability of independent software vendors
    such as NextPage to deliver solutions to customers who have existing
    binary documents,” said Tom Ngo, CTO of NextPage and member of Ecma
    TC45. “As the sole representative of ISVs on TC45, we worked hard to
    foster interoperability and conformance conditions that help to level
    the competitive playing field. This approval puts control of Open XML in
    the hands of the international community.”

    “Just as we have worked to establish and steward our print collections,
    the British Library is committed to preserving and providing access to
    the U.K.’s digital heritage,” said Adam Farquhar, head of Digital
    Library Technology at the British Library, and vice-chair of Ecma TC45.
    “Establishing Office Open XML as an open standard substantially enhances
    our ability to achieve this. It’s an important step forward for digital
    preservation and will help us fulfill the British Library’s core
    responsibility of making our digital collections accessible for
    generations to come.”

    “The U.S. Library of Congress believes that the preservation of digital
    content for future generations will be much easier if widely used
    software applications use formats with full public specifications that
    will be maintained by the global community going forward,” said Martha
    Anderson, Director of Program Management, National Digital Information
    Infrastructure and Preservation Program. “The approval of Office Open
    XML as an international standard has important benefits for libraries
    and other archival institutions for generations to come.”

    For more information: please contact Dr. Istvan Sebestyen, Secretary
    General of Ecma International. Email: istvan@ecma-international.org.
    ------

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    "03/17/2008 10 NOTICE OF VOLUNTARY DISMISSAL: Pursuant to Rule 41(a)(1)
    of the F.R.C.P., plaintiffs Erik Andersen and Rob Landley hereby dismiss

    -- CIVIL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:07-cv-11070-LTS

  12. Re: ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 17:56:03 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Rick on Tuesday 01 April 2008 11:08 : \____
    >
    >> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 05:13:12 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> ____/ Rick on Tuesday 01 April 2008 02:16 : \____

    >>> Win /what/? Bad reputation? It has done this already, so why not go
    >>> for the jackpot.

    >> I have no doubt OXML will become an ISO standard. It is the way of the
    >> world.

    > But at what /cost/? The US too could claim that nuking Japan had made
    > them a 'winner', but it never made them popular with the east.

    Cost doesn't matter at the moment. As long as MS can maintain its
    monopoly power until it gain control another market, they don't care.

    >>> Experts in this opine that Microsoft may come to regret these crimes.
    >>> Other jokingly say that people should be jailed, which is probably
    >>> true, but Microsoft is above the law.

    >> ... my point, exactly.
    >>
    >> Maybe, just maybe, the world will publicly see Microsoft, and it's
    >> managers for what they are. I doubt it.

    > The least we can do is spread the word.

    Unfortunately most people don't care. Still, maybe enough of the people
    that can change things do care.

    --
    Rick

  13. Re: ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 13:23:55 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 17:56:03 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> The least we can do is spread the word.

    > Especially when you are getting paid for spreading it hey Roy
    > Schestowitz....
    >
    > Your masters must be very upset with you after the OOXML win.
    >
    > They funneled a good chunck of change your way in order to support your
    > spamming activities.
    > And now your side loses.
    >
    > Looks like they didn't get their monies worth.

    More Roy obsession.

    --
    Rick

  14. Re: ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday

    ____/ Rick on Tuesday 01 April 2008 23:24 : \____

    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 17:56:03 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ Rick on Tuesday 01 April 2008 11:08 : \____

    >>> I have no doubt OXML will become an ISO standard. It is the way of the
    >>> world.

    >> But at what /cost/? The US too could claim that nuking Japan had made
    >> them a 'winner', but it never made them popular with the east.

    > Cost doesn't matter at the moment. As long as MS can maintain its
    > monopoly power until it gain control another market, they don't care.

    >>> ... my point, exactly.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe, just maybe, the world will publicly see Microsoft, and it's
    >>> managers for what they are. I doubt it.

    >> The least we can do is spread the word.

    > Unfortunately most people don't care. Still, maybe enough of the people
    > that can change things do care.

    You don't need to approach the 'broad population' (as in people who don't care
    or understand), but only those who make decisions. It's effective enough.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Vista: Windows XP with bling-bling, nothing else
    Mem: 515500k total, 441008k used, 74492k free, 4720k buffers

  15. Re: ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday

    ____/ Rick on Tuesday 01 April 2008 23:24 : \____

    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 13:23:55 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 17:56:03 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> The least we can do is spread the word.

    >> Especially when you are getting paid for spreading it hey Roy
    >> Schestowitz....
    >>
    >> Your masters must be very upset with you after the OOXML win.
    >>
    >> They funneled a good chunck of change your way in order to support your
    >> spamming activities.
    >> And now your side loses.
    >>
    >> Looks like they didn't get their monies worth.

    > More Roy obsession.

    More libel rather.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Vista: Windows XP with bling-bling, nothing else
    Mem: 515500k total, 441008k used, 74492k free, 4720k buffers

  16. Re: ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 01 April 2008 07:22 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> ____/ Rick on Tuesday 01 April 2008 02:16 : \____

    >>> Win /what/? Bad reputation? It has done this already, so why not go for the
    >>> jackpot.
    >>>
    >>> Experts in this opine that Microsoft may come to regret these crimes. Other
    >>> jokingly say that people should be jailed, which is probably true, but
    >>> Microsoft is above the law.
    >>>

    >> I'm not surprised they're keeping this quiet. I wouldn't mind betting
    >> that Microsoft were unsuccessful, so ISO are using today, All Fools Day,
    >> in order to try to squeeze some more votes from somewhere.
    >>
    >> BSI, the British Standards Institute, has been corrupted.

    > That's for sure, but Stephane informed me about this over a month ago when he
    > saw the 'smoking gun' reappointment. That's when I said openly (in a site
    > even) that BSI had been corrupted... even before I knew about the change from
    > a NO to a YES (without any reason given).
    >
    > How can a corrupted national body like BSI be brought to justice? Can stuffers
    > be sentenced?

    I'm sure that those involved can have a spotlight shone on them. I'm
    also very sure that those running BSI at the moment can be called to
    question, and perhaps we could look for less corruptible folk to be put
    in place instead?

  17. Re: ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday

    > You don't need to approach the 'broad population' (as in people who don't care
    > or understand), but only those who make decisions. It's effective enough.

    Microsoft understands "choke-points" very well.

    --
    Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few
    employers are interested in helping you find yourself.

  18. Re: ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday

    ____/ Linonut on Wednesday 02 April 2008 12:40 : \____

    >> You don't need to approach the 'broad population' (as in people who don't
    >> care or understand), but only those who make decisions. It's effective
    >> enough.

    > Microsoft understands "choke-points" very well.

    Fine then. Let's fine evidence of this and show it. Microsoft loves the boiler
    room. It fear transparency.

    And while I'm at it, what goes on behind the scenes is complicated and
    Microsoft does not shy away from smearing and intimidating critics. If you
    talk about it in public, some anonymous figures come out from the shade and
    attack, which is why it's better not to talk about it sometimes. But that's a
    subject for another type of thread...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | GPL'd Othello: http://othellomaster.com
    Cpu(s): 25.5%us, 3.7%sy, 1.0%ni, 65.0%id, 4.5%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  19. Re: ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > And while I'm at it, what goes on behind the scenes is complicated...

    How would you know what "goes on behind the scenes"?

    You cola nuts sure are strange, with your bull**** claims of inside info.
    and your laughable suggestions of how MS should run its business.

    For instance, on the face of it - just reading some of his posts - you might
    think Rex Ballard is some kind of manager in OEM relations at Microsoft.
    Turns out he knows diddly about MS, of course; he just casually makes up
    numbers and tosses them out as if they were fact, knowing the spineless
    "advocates" on cola will never challenge him.

  20. Re: ISO to announce Microsoft Open XML result Wednesday

    On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 23:10:37 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> And while I'm at it, what goes on behind the scenes is complicated...

    > How would you know what "goes on behind the scenes"?

    A littl bird told him?

    Or maybe "someone told "PJ" (used when Roy the groupie wants to name drop).
    Possibly that good old standby "a reliable sauce"?

    > You cola nuts sure are strange, with your bull**** claims of inside info.
    > and your laughable suggestions of how MS should run its business.

    Those boys in Redmond must be howling when they read this group, and
    believe me, they *do* read this group.

    > For instance, on the face of it - just reading some of his posts - you might
    > think Rex Ballard is some kind of manager in OEM relations at Microsoft.

    Hahahaha!
    I can picture him sitting at a staff meeting all dress up in his skirt and
    pumps.

    Interesting thing is, if he actually tried that stunt at the company he
    works for, they probably wouldn't say a word about it as "XXX" is really
    big on diversity.

    In fact, they will pay medical benefits for same sex "couples"
    co-habitating but will not do similar for hetero couples unless they are
    married.
    So I am told anyway.

    Looks like Rex hit the mother 'load'....

    > Turns out he knows diddly about MS, of course; he just casually makes up
    > numbers and tosses them out as if they were fact, knowing the spineless
    > "advocates" on cola will never challenge him.

    Roy worships him, which I find really, really strange.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....955c95e422489f

    "Thanks (Rex). Coming from you, this means a lot. "

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/