"End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10 - Linux

This is a discussion on "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10 - Linux ; http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu610end-of-life...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

  2. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    ____/ Darth Chaos on Monday 31 March 2008 08:00 : \____

    > http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu610end-of-life

    Oh noes! It's been almost 2 years. How much will to cost to upgrade?
    [sarcasm /] Get the checkbook ready. The nice thing is that upgrading a
    GNU/Linux distribution such as Ubuntu can be done as soon as the subsequent
    release comes out. No need for burning any CDs assuming you have an internet
    connection. Upgrade 'on tap'...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Have you compiled your kernel today?"
    Mem: 515500k total, 452596k used, 62904k free, 784k buffers

  3. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    On Mar 31, 8:00 pm, Darth Chaos wrote:
    > http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu610end-of-life

    Long live Ubuntu 7.10 - a similar proclamation with respect to the
    successor is made when announcing the death of a Monarch in UK.

  4. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Darth Chaos on Monday 31 March 2008 08:00 : \____
    >
    >> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu610end-of-life

    > Oh noes! It's been almost 2 years. How much will to cost to upgrade?
    > [sarcasm /] Get the checkbook ready. The nice thing is that upgrading a
    > GNU/Linux distribution such as Ubuntu can be done as soon as the subsequent
    > release comes out. No need for burning any CDs assuming you have an internet
    > connection. Upgrade 'on tap'...

    Quite. EOL means something quite different in the open-source world.

  5. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    "Darth Chaos" wrote in message
    > http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu610end-of-life

    This rapid shelving of products is an issue for real companies. A company
    with X-many thousand seats now has to upgrade their entire organization.
    "Free" price isn't the issue here. It's the real cost of having to upgrade
    every user or being stuck with a dead and unsupported distro.

  6. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:01:24 -0500, Ignoramus7016 wrote:

    > Keep in mind that Ubuntu does offer long term support versions. The
    > server version of Hardy (to come out this month) will be supported
    > until 2013. It is not unreasonable, especially given that you can
    > upgrade with just a couple of commands.

    Sure you can.
    The question is will it work and how much will it break.

    The same can be said of Windows BTW.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  7. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    On 2008-03-31, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:01:24 -0500, Ignoramus7016 wrote:
    >

    >> Keep in mind that Ubuntu does offer long term support versions. The
    >> server version of Hardy (to come out this month) will be supported
    >> until 2013. It is not unreasonable, especially given that you can
    >> upgrade with just a couple of commands.

    > Sure you can.
    > The question is will it work and how much will it break.

    I am going to try such an upgrade today (7.10 to 8.04 beta). I just
    asked a question about it here and will proceed shortly. I will
    see. This computer is a kid's computer, what the kid does not know is
    that it also runs a ****load of other stuff such as a backup
    nameserver, webserver, etc. These are backup services only and if they
    break, no one will notice, but it would be a good test.

    > The same can be said of Windows BTW.

    So you can in-place upgrade XP to Vista, say? Will the server type
    stuff continue to run?

  8. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:11:15 -0500, Ignoramus7016 wrote:

    > On 2008-03-31, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:01:24 -0500, Ignoramus7016 wrote:
    >>

    >>> Keep in mind that Ubuntu does offer long term support versions. The
    >>> server version of Hardy (to come out this month) will be supported
    >>> until 2013. It is not unreasonable, especially given that you can
    >>> upgrade with just a couple of commands.

    >> Sure you can.
    >> The question is will it work and how much will it break.

    > I am going to try such an upgrade today (7.10 to 8.04 beta). I just
    > asked a question about it here and will proceed shortly. I will
    > see. This computer is a kid's computer, what the kid does not know is
    > that it also runs a ****load of other stuff such as a backup
    > nameserver, webserver, etc. These are backup services only and if they
    > break, no one will notice, but it would be a good test.

    Better to ask first than be sorry.

    >> The same can be said of Windows BTW.

    > So you can in-place upgrade XP to Vista, say? Will the server type
    > stuff continue to run?

    It *should* but I woudn't recommend doing it though just like I don't
    recommend upgrading Linux to a completely new version.

    A fresh install, of both platforms, is ALWAYS a better idea especially in
    mission critical settings.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    On 2008-03-31, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:11:15 -0500, Ignoramus7016 wrote:

    >>> Sure you can.
    >>> The question is will it work and how much will it break.

    >> I am going to try such an upgrade today (7.10 to 8.04 beta). I just
    >> asked a question about it here and will proceed shortly. I will
    >> see. This computer is a kid's computer, what the kid does not know is
    >> that it also runs a ****load of other stuff such as a backup
    >> nameserver, webserver, etc. These are backup services only and if they
    >> break, no one will notice, but it would be a good test.

    > Better to ask first than be sorry.

    Yep. But with this computer, I can easily afford to fsck up.

    What I have is a couple of scripts that set up any computer to exactly
    the way I want, they install stuff, get my personal code, edit config
    files, set up user faces, etc, depending on roles chosen for this
    particular machine (kid's laptop of webserver etc). So rebuilding a
    server is very easy and I know that I will not forget to do something,
    since it is all done automatically.

    >>> The same can be said of Windows BTW.

    >> So you can in-place upgrade XP to Vista, say? Will the server type
    >> stuff continue to run?

    > It *should* but I woudn't recommend doing it though just like I don't
    > recommend upgrading Linux to a completely new version.
    >
    > A fresh install, of both platforms, is ALWAYS a better idea especially in
    > mission critical settings.

    While I agree with that, and that was the case for me previously, I am
    anxious to try an in-place upgrade. The downside for me is minimal.

  10. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:34:50 -0500, Ignoramus7016 wrote:

    > Yep. But with this computer, I can easily afford to fsck up.
    >
    > What I have is a couple of scripts that set up any computer to exactly
    > the way I want, they install stuff, get my personal code, edit config
    > files, set up user faces, etc, depending on roles chosen for this
    > particular machine (kid's laptop of webserver etc). So rebuilding a
    > server is very easy and I know that I will not forget to do something,
    > since it is all done automatically.

    Make a backup of your /home directory, assuming your scripts live there.
    It all depends upon what has changed in the new version as to whether or
    not your scripts will work or not.
    Linux is a fast moving target.

    >>> So you can in-place upgrade XP to Vista, say? Will the server type
    >>> stuff continue to run?

    >> It *should* but I woudn't recommend doing it though just like I don't
    >> recommend upgrading Linux to a completely new version.
    >>
    >> A fresh install, of both platforms, is ALWAYS a better idea especially in
    >> mission critical settings.

    > While I agree with that, and that was the case for me previously, I am
    > anxious to try an in-place upgrade. The downside for me is minimal.

    Give it a try and see what happens.
    Report back in the ubuntu group so your experiences may help others.

    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    On 2008-03-31, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:34:50 -0500, Ignoramus7016 wrote:
    >

    >> Yep. But with this computer, I can easily afford to fsck up.
    >>
    >> What I have is a couple of scripts that set up any computer to exactly
    >> the way I want, they install stuff, get my personal code, edit config
    >> files, set up user faces, etc, depending on roles chosen for this
    >> particular machine (kid's laptop of webserver etc). So rebuilding a
    >> server is very easy and I know that I will not forget to do something,
    >> since it is all done automatically.

    > Make a backup of your /home directory, assuming your scripts live there.
    > It all depends upon what has changed in the new version as to whether or
    > not your scripts will work or not.
    > Linux is a fast moving target.

    scripts are all in my CVS and I do not really need to backup /home on
    that computer. It will be all restored by my scripts, including
    ..bashrc etc.

    >>> It *should* but I woudn't recommend doing it though just like I don't
    >>> recommend upgrading Linux to a completely new version.
    >>>
    >>> A fresh install, of both platforms, is ALWAYS a better idea especially in
    >>> mission critical settings.

    >> While I agree with that, and that was the case for me previously, I am
    >> anxious to try an in-place upgrade. The downside for me is minimal.

    > Give it a try and see what happens.
    > Report back in the ubuntu group so your experiences may help others.

    I promise to honestly report my results. I have just started.

  12. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    On 2008-03-31, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:34:50 -0500, Ignoramus7016 wrote:
    >

    >> Yep. But with this computer, I can easily afford to fsck up.
    >>
    >> What I have is a couple of scripts that set up any computer to exactly
    >> the way I want, they install stuff, get my personal code, edit config
    >> files, set up user faces, etc, depending on roles chosen for this
    >> particular machine (kid's laptop of webserver etc). So rebuilding a
    >> server is very easy and I know that I will not forget to do something,
    >> since it is all done automatically.

    > Make a backup of your /home directory, assuming your scripts live there.
    > It all depends upon what has changed in the new version as to whether or
    > not your scripts will work or not.
    > Linux is a fast moving target.

    >>> It *should* but I woudn't recommend doing it though just like I don't
    >>> recommend upgrading Linux to a completely new version.
    >>>
    >>> A fresh install, of both platforms, is ALWAYS a better idea especially in
    >>> mission critical settings.

    >> While I agree with that, and that was the case for me previously, I am
    >> anxious to try an in-place upgrade. The downside for me is minimal.

    > Give it a try and see what happens.
    > Report back in the ubuntu group so your experiences may help others.

    See my separate post titled "DONE -- in-place upgrade from Gutsy to
    Hardy". While I have not yet been able to verify that GUI stuff works,
    since I am away and can only use ssh, at least the system was not
    fully hosed.

  13. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related newsgroups

  14. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related newsgroups

  15. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related newsgroups

  16. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related newsgroups

  17. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Darth Chaos wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu610end-of-life

    >> Oh noes! It's been almost 2 years. How much will to cost to
    >> upgrade? [sarcasm /] Get the checkbook ready. The nice thing is
    >> that upgrading a GNU/Linux distribution such as Ubuntu can be
    >> done as soon as the subsequent release comes out. No need for
    >> burning any CDs assuming you have an internet connection.
    >> Upgrade 'on tap'...

    > Yet Microsoft keeps supporting XP for how many years now?

    However UBUNTU 6.06 (the long-term issue) is still supported.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  18. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:00:28 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:27:39 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ Darth Chaos on Monday 31 March 2008 08:00 : \____
    >>
    >>> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu610end-of-life

    >> Oh noes! It's been almost 2 years. How much will to cost to upgrade?
    >> [sarcasm /] Get the checkbook ready. The nice thing is that upgrading a
    >> GNU/Linux distribution such as Ubuntu can be done as soon as the
    >> subsequent release comes out. No need for burning any CDs assuming you
    >> have an internet connection. Upgrade 'on tap'...

    > Yet Microsoft keeps supporting XP for how many years now?

    So what? Ubuntu isn't Windows. Canonical isn't Microsoft. How long did it
    take for Microsoft to "upgrade" XP?

    (snip the obsessive BS)

    --
    Rick

  19. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    CBFalconer writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> Oh noes! It's been almost 2 years. How much will to cost to
    >>> upgrade? [sarcasm /] Get the checkbook ready. The nice thing is
    >>> that upgrading a GNU/Linux distribution such as Ubuntu can be
    >>> done as soon as the subsequent release comes out. No need for
    >>> burning any CDs assuming you have an internet connection.
    >>> Upgrade 'on tap'...

    >> Yet Microsoft keeps supporting XP for how many years now?

    > However UBUNTU 6.06 (the long-term issue) is still supported.
    >
    > --
    > [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
    > [page]:
    > Try the download section.

    And hopefully in that time period you will somehow sort out your double signature.

    --
    I was attacked by dselect as a small child and have since avoided
    debian.

  20. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:27:39 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ Darth Chaos on Monday 31 March 2008 08:00 : \____
    >>
    >>> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu610end-of-life

    >> Oh noes! It's been almost 2 years. How much will to cost to upgrade?
    >> [sarcasm /] Get the checkbook ready. The nice thing is that upgrading a
    >> GNU/Linux distribution such as Ubuntu can be done as soon as the subsequent
    >> release comes out. No need for burning any CDs assuming you have an internet
    >> connection. Upgrade 'on tap'...

    > Yet Microsoft keeps supporting XP for how many years now?

    You're comparing apples (a distribution obtainable for free where the
    upgrade is, as described, only a mouseclick away) with oranges (a
    "distribution" where each release costs you $s and may require replacing
    hardware).

    If Canonical decides not to support something they give away for free
    and people have to download and switch to a newer release without having
    to pay for it in any way, it's nothing more than a nuisance for the users.

    If Microsoft decides not to support XP any more, then people are must
    shell out some cash to get Vista.

    BTW The Nuisance of switching from one to the next is there in both cases.

    I rather click on the "Upgrade" button and keep the dough.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast