"End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10 - Linux

This is a discussion on "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10 - Linux ; Josef Moellers wrote: > I rather click on the "Upgrade" button and keep the dough. And the superior OS. -- RonB "There's a story there...somewhere"...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

  1. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    Josef Moellers wrote:

    > I rather click on the "Upgrade" button and keep the dough.


    And the superior OS.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  2. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:52:15 -0400, Jamie Winekopf wrote:

    > "Darth Chaos" wrote in message
    > news:45e05857-7f26-4d54-8af9-26ad0a0d2cec@d62g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
    >> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu610end-of-life

    >
    >
    > This rapid shelving of products is an issue for real companies. A
    > company with X-many thousand seats now has to upgrade their entire
    > organization. "Free" price isn't the issue here. It's the real cost of
    > having to upgrade every user or being stuck with a dead and unsupported
    > distro.


    That's Windows, this is Linux. One of the major benefits of open
    source is that it frees users from total dependence on the
    vendor. User communities often form around old releases that
    continue to maintain the code for years after official support has
    ended. Ubuntu 6.06 will live long after Canonical has terminated
    official support. Indeed, if you dig around a little you'll find
    even earlier versions that are still going strong.

  3. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 09:05:16 -0500, netcat wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:52:15 -0400, Jamie Winekopf wrote:
    >
    >> "Darth Chaos" wrote in message
    >> news:45e05857-7f26-4d54-8af9-26ad0a0d2cec@d62g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
    >>> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu610end-of-life

    >>
    >>
    >> This rapid shelving of products is an issue for real companies. A
    >> company with X-many thousand seats now has to upgrade their entire
    >> organization. "Free" price isn't the issue here. It's the real cost of
    >> having to upgrade every user or being stuck with a dead and unsupported
    >> distro.

    >
    > That's Windows, this is Linux. One of the major benefits of open
    > source is that it frees users from total dependence on the
    > vendor. User communities often form around old releases that
    > continue to maintain the code for years after official support has
    > ended. Ubuntu 6.06 will live long after Canonical has terminated
    > official support. Indeed, if you dig around a little you'll find
    > even earlier versions that are still going strong.


    Which only adds even more to the massive confusion around Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    netcat writes:

    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:52:15 -0400, Jamie Winekopf wrote:
    >
    >> "Darth Chaos" wrote in message
    >> news:45e05857-7f26-4d54-8af9-26ad0a0d2cec@d62g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
    >>> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu610end-of-life

    >>
    >>
    >> This rapid shelving of products is an issue for real companies. A
    >> company with X-many thousand seats now has to upgrade their entire
    >> organization. "Free" price isn't the issue here. It's the real cost of
    >> having to upgrade every user or being stuck with a dead and unsupported
    >> distro.

    >
    > That's Windows, this is Linux. One of the major benefits of open
    > source is that it frees users from total dependence on the
    > vendor. User communities often form around old releases that
    > continue to maintain the code for years after official support has
    > ended. Ubuntu 6.06 will live long after Canonical has terminated
    > official support. Indeed, if you dig around a little you'll find
    > even earlier versions that are still going strong.


    Yup. Publishing HowTos which will f@ck up later releases for the unwary
    nOOb.

    What a mess.

    --
    * Joey should not write changelog entries at 5:30am
    * DFSC Free cgi library
    What's that? DFSC?
    Debian Free Software mroooooCows
    -- Seen on #Debian

  5. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 17:10:44 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > netcat writes:
    >
    >> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:52:15 -0400, Jamie Winekopf wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Darth Chaos" wrote in message
    >>> news:45e05857-7f26-4d54-8af9-26ad0a0d2cec@d62g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
    >>>> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu610end-of-life
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> This rapid shelving of products is an issue for real companies. A
    >>> company with X-many thousand seats now has to upgrade their entire
    >>> organization. "Free" price isn't the issue here. It's the real cost of
    >>> having to upgrade every user or being stuck with a dead and unsupported
    >>> distro.

    >>
    >> That's Windows, this is Linux. One of the major benefits of open
    >> source is that it frees users from total dependence on the
    >> vendor. User communities often form around old releases that
    >> continue to maintain the code for years after official support has
    >> ended. Ubuntu 6.06 will live long after Canonical has terminated
    >> official support. Indeed, if you dig around a little you'll find
    >> even earlier versions that are still going strong.

    >
    > Yup. Publishing HowTos which will f@ck up later releases for the unwary
    > nOOb.
    >
    > What a mess.


    Yep.
    Remember when Linux went to xorg?
    People were reading the older How-Tos and totally hosing their systems.

    Heck, try setting up sound in Linux and see how many bad, outdated and
    totally incorrect How-To's you'll find on that one.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 17:10:44 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> netcat writes:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:52:15 -0400, Jamie Winekopf wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> "Darth Chaos" wrote in message
    >>>> news:45e05857-7f26-4d54-8af9-26ad0a0d2cec@d62g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
    >>>>> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu610end-of-life
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> This rapid shelving of products is an issue for real companies. A
    >>>> company with X-many thousand seats now has to upgrade their entire
    >>>> organization. "Free" price isn't the issue here. It's the real cost of
    >>>> having to upgrade every user or being stuck with a dead and unsupported
    >>>> distro.
    >>>
    >>> That's Windows, this is Linux. One of the major benefits of open
    >>> source is that it frees users from total dependence on the
    >>> vendor. User communities often form around old releases that
    >>> continue to maintain the code for years after official support has
    >>> ended. Ubuntu 6.06 will live long after Canonical has terminated
    >>> official support. Indeed, if you dig around a little you'll find
    >>> even earlier versions that are still going strong.

    >>
    >> Yup. Publishing HowTos which will f@ck up later releases for the unwary
    >> nOOb.
    >>
    >> What a mess.

    >
    > Yep.
    > Remember when Linux went to xorg?
    > People were reading the older How-Tos and totally hosing their
    > systems.


    Funnily enough, Ray (and he IS a good advocate) pointed someone to the
    XFree how to last year in the Ubuntu group when it was in fact XOrg. The
    usual idiots like Poaster probably rallied around saying it was "close
    enough" and had all "worked for him" regardless.

    Only recently Gregory Shearman in here was calling me a liar because I
    mentioned that I had to recompile NVidia drivers when my Debian kernel
    changed - this despite widely available info which backs me up. He
    cursed a lot (using the word "****" and "****" a lot) and spluttered
    outrageously that I just needed to "emerge" or some other nonsense which
    is totally inapplicable to Debian or Ubuntu. Sometimes one has to wonder
    about COLA "advocates".

    > Heck, try setting up sound in Linux and see how many bad, outdated and
    > totally incorrect How-To's you'll find on that one.


    I have just been through that hoop again. And I must say I got it
    working brilliantly. I finally have multiple sound sources playing
    together on Debian. Was it trivial? No. Does it work? Yes - very well.
    Would it confuse a nOOb? Most definitely. I'll probably post a "How To"
    myself to the Ubuntu group which the advocates will then ignore and
    carry on claiming I use Windows no doubt.

    --
    - "Thats what I have been saying for 5 years. Consumers are tired, they
    want something new and more exciting."
    comp.os.linux.advocacy - where they put the lunacy in advocacy

  7. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 17:39:44 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:
    >
    >> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 17:10:44 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> netcat writes:
    >>>
    >>>> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:52:15 -0400, Jamie Winekopf wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> "Darth Chaos" wrote in message
    >>>>> news:45e05857-7f26-4d54-8af9-26ad0a0d2cec@d62g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
    >>>>>> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu610end-of-life
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> This rapid shelving of products is an issue for real companies. A
    >>>>> company with X-many thousand seats now has to upgrade their entire
    >>>>> organization. "Free" price isn't the issue here. It's the real cost of
    >>>>> having to upgrade every user or being stuck with a dead and unsupported
    >>>>> distro.
    >>>>
    >>>> That's Windows, this is Linux. One of the major benefits of open
    >>>> source is that it frees users from total dependence on the
    >>>> vendor. User communities often form around old releases that
    >>>> continue to maintain the code for years after official support has
    >>>> ended. Ubuntu 6.06 will live long after Canonical has terminated
    >>>> official support. Indeed, if you dig around a little you'll find
    >>>> even earlier versions that are still going strong.
    >>>
    >>> Yup. Publishing HowTos which will f@ck up later releases for the unwary
    >>> nOOb.
    >>>
    >>> What a mess.

    >>
    >> Yep.
    >> Remember when Linux went to xorg?
    >> People were reading the older How-Tos and totally hosing their
    >> systems.

    >
    > Funnily enough, Ray (and he IS a good advocate) pointed someone to the
    > XFree how to last year in the Ubuntu group when it was in fact XOrg. The
    > usual idiots like Poaster probably rallied around saying it was "close
    > enough" and had all "worked for him" regardless.
    >
    > Only recently Gregory Shearman in here was calling me a liar because I
    > mentioned that I had to recompile NVidia drivers when my Debian kernel
    > changed - this despite widely available info which backs me up. He
    > cursed a lot (using the word "****" and "****" a lot) and spluttered
    > outrageously that I just needed to "emerge" or some other nonsense which
    > is totally inapplicable to Debian or Ubuntu. Sometimes one has to wonder
    > about COLA "advocates".
    >
    >> Heck, try setting up sound in Linux and see how many bad, outdated and
    >> totally incorrect How-To's you'll find on that one.

    >
    > I have just been through that hoop again. And I must say I got it
    > working brilliantly. I finally have multiple sound sources playing
    > together on Debian. Was it trivial? No. Does it work? Yes - very well.
    > Would it confuse a nOOb? Most definitely. I'll probably post a "How To"
    > myself to the Ubuntu group which the advocates will then ignore and
    > carry on claiming I use Windows no doubt.


    Ray is a decent advocate, I agree.
    The thing with Linux is that *when it works* during an install, it works
    very well.
    However, when it fails, the noob is DOA and does not stand a chance.
    Why?
    Mostly because of all the confusing and contradictory information on the
    net.
    Too many versions of Linux.

    Now, if Linux tanks, in the hands of an experienced Linux user I would say
    they have a better chance of recovering or installing than when Windows
    tanks with some obscure error.

    Why?
    Because IMHO Linux's error tracking, logs etc are much better than the
    standard Windows stuff.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:27:39 +0100,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > ____/ Darth Chaos on Monday 31 March 2008 08:00 : \____
    >
    >> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu610end-of-life

    >
    > Oh noes! It's been almost 2 years. How much will to cost to upgrade?
    > [sarcasm /] Get the checkbook ready. The nice thing is that upgrading a
    > GNU/Linux distribution such as Ubuntu can be done as soon as the subsequent
    > release comes out. No need for burning any CDs assuming you have an internet
    > connection. Upgrade 'on tap'...
    >



    Of course, 6.06 is still supported, since it was the LTS edition. 6.10
    was originally scheduled to last 18months for support. and it has done
    so. As Canonical said it would.


    The LTS versions get support for 3 years for desktop, and 5 years for
    server version.

    Somehow, the OP forgot to mention that.

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFH8qAcd90bcYOAWPYRAil4AKCeyYbc827dk54Dq3Ah4h rIBr66VACg4RUs
    indK31sTTusxU8kCRj2+kn8=
    =kw8d
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

    --
    Jim Richardson http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock
    This isn't hell. This is where you get sent when you've been bad in hell.

  9. Re: "End of Life" announcement for Ubuntu 6.10

    ____/ Jim Richardson on Tuesday 01 April 2008 21:50 : \____

    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:27:39 +0100,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> ____/ Darth Chaos on Monday 31 March 2008 08:00 : \____
    >>
    >>> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu610end-of-life

    >>
    >> Oh noes! It's been almost 2 years. How much will to cost to upgrade?
    >> [sarcasm /] Get the checkbook ready. The nice thing is that upgrading a
    >> GNU/Linux distribution such as Ubuntu can be done as soon as the subsequent
    >> release comes out. No need for burning any CDs assuming you have an internet
    >> connection. Upgrade 'on tap'...
    >>

    >
    >
    > Of course, 6.06 is still supported, since it was the LTS edition. 6.10
    > was originally scheduled to last 18months for support. and it has done
    > so. As Canonical said it would.
    >
    >
    > The LTS versions get support for 3 years for desktop, and 5 years for
    > server version.
    >
    > Somehow, the OP forgot to mention that.


    /And/...

    An LTS release is made available every 2 years, not every 5 years. That too is
    a selling point.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Microsoft loves competition.
    "We need to slaughter Novell before they get stronger….If you’re going to kill
    someone, there isn’t much reason to get all worked up about it and angry. You
    just pull the trigger. Any discussions beforehand are a waste of time. We need
    to smile at Novell while we pull the trigger."

    --Jim Allchin, Platform Group Vice President

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2