Re: [News] Microsoft Office and Vista Miss the Mark - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Microsoft Office and Vista Miss the Mark - Linux ; On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:59:30 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote: > * Too Wordy. Microsoft Word is the classic whipping boy for > unusable innovation. Many writers I know have jumped ship to > simpler tools such as Scrivener ...

  1. Re: [News] Microsoft Office and Vista Miss the Mark

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:59:30 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > * Too Wordy. Microsoft Word is the classic whipping boy for
    > unusable innovation. Many writers I know have jumped ship to
    > simpler tools such as Scrivener and WriteRoom.
    > [/quote]
    >
    > OTOH, StarOffice and free counterpart OpenOffice are still full
    > featured products and worthy of consideration by all.

    Except, apparently, those above mentioned "many writers" the author knows.

    I notice StarOffice wasn't mentioned as one of those "simpler tools".

    Kind of defeats the entire purpose of your long winded diatribe, doesn't
    it?

    > Vista is another example of overshoot. Linux GUI's have all that
    > is needed for a decent user experience.

    Except consistency, of course.

    > User wants what is familiar to them and is easy to use. I could
    > care less for the camera, calendar and music player in my cell
    > phone. I use my phone for of all things, making and receiving
    > telephone calls.

    Yet you bought it anyways. And nobody was forcing you to buy that phone.

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft Office and Vista Miss the Mark

    On 2008-03-31, Erik Funkenbusch claimed:
    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:59:30 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >> User wants what is familiar to them and is easy to use. I could
    >> care less for the camera, calendar and music player in my cell
    >> phone. I use my phone for of all things, making and receiving
    >> telephone calls.

    > Yet you bought it anyways. And nobody was forcing you to buy that phone.

    It's getting increasingly difficult to buy phones that don't have
    those things any more. Sorta like how difficult it became to buy a PC
    without that goofy Microsoft junk on it for awhile. Thankfully that's
    made small steps toward reversing itself.

    --
    Be different: conform.

+ Reply to Thread