Who *seriously* uses Linux for *serious* work? EOM - Linux

This is a discussion on Who *seriously* uses Linux for *serious* work? EOM - Linux ; .....

  1. Who *seriously* uses Linux for *serious* work? EOM

    ..

  2. Newsflash: Raylopez99 makes a point!

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > .

    Congratulations you finally wrote something sensible and (even) made a
    point.

    Thus there _is_ a God after all :-)

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  3. Re: Who *seriously* uses Linux for *serious* work? EOM

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > .

    I use Linux for everything I do on a computer. Serious enough?` `

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  4. Re: Who *seriously* uses Linux for *serious* work? EOM

    "RonB" stated in post GZ_Hj.337$Lt7.60@newsfe06.lga
    on 3/30/08 10:44 PM:

    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> .

    > I use Linux for everything I do on a computer. Serious enough?` `

    I use not just the OS but applications... frankly no OS, alone, would meet
    even a small portion of my computing needs.

    --
    Picture of a tuna milkshake: http://snipurl.com/f34z
    Feel free to ask for the recipe.

  5. Re: Who *seriously* uses Linux for *serious* work? EOM

    "raylopez99" stated in post
    b9152bcb-8c3e-4b7d-9d6b-f71abefb8156...oglegroups.com on 3/30/08
    9:53 PM:

    > .

    I use Linux for computer labs where the hardware was already available
    (older hardware) and where the needs were light: some basic word processing,
    web surfing, and the like. It is clearly adequate for such desktop use (I
    use Ubuntu).

    I also use it for a bell system.

    Other than that I use it for the occasional program where Linux handles
    things significantly better than do OS X (my primary OS) or Windows.

    --
    "In order to discover who you are, first learn who everybody else is. You're
    what's left." - Skip Hansen

  6. Re: Who *seriously* uses Linux for *serious* work? EOM

    On Mar 31, 5:53 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
    > .

    Many top 500 supercomputers use it.

    Millions of embedded systems use it.

    Many internet servers use it.

    etc etc

  7. Re: Who *seriously* uses Linux for *serious* work? EOM

    peterwn wrote:

    > On Mar 31, 5:53 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
    >> .

    > Many top 500 supercomputers use it.
    >
    > Millions of embedded systems use it.
    >
    > Many internet servers use it.
    >
    > etc etc

    Oh FFS, is that idiotic raydopez troll repeating itself *again*.

    --
    Mandriva - 2008.1 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: Who *seriously* uses Linux for *serious* work? EOM

    RonB wrote:

    > Who seriously uses Linux for serious work?

    The raydopez idiot troll has asked this before:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?as...=2008&safe=off

    or
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/3yyjkj

    Has the troll got a short memory problem or what? Or maybe he just likes looking
    a cretin.

    --
    Mandriva - 2008.1 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: Who *seriously* uses Linux for *serious* work? EOM

    On 2008-03-31, William Poaster claimed:
    > peterwn wrote:
    >
    >> On Mar 31, 5:53 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
    >>> .

    >> Many top 500 supercomputers use it.
    >>
    >> Millions of embedded systems use it.
    >>
    >> Many internet servers use it.
    >>
    >> etc etc

    > Oh FFS, is that idiotic raydopez troll repeating itself *again*.

    Presumably he didn't find anybody last time who does any *real* work,
    like downloading Windwoes updates, or getting new virus definitions.
    All he got that time around was input from people who run businesses on
    it, or type letters, send emails, manipulate graphics, audio and video,
    maintain web sites and so forth. Not _real_ work, like porn viewing and
    piracy.

    --
    Behind a successful man is a woman who made it necessary.

  10. Re: Who *seriously* uses Linux for *serious* work? EOM

    Sinister Midget wrote:

    > On 2008-03-31, William Poaster claimed:
    >> peterwn wrote:

    >>> Many top 500 supercomputers use it.
    >>>
    >>> Millions of embedded systems use it.
    >>>
    >>> Many internet servers use it.
    >>>
    >>> etc etc

    >> Oh FFS, is that idiotic raydopez troll repeating itself *again*.

    > Presumably he didn't find anybody last time who does any *real* work,
    > like downloading Windwoes updates, or getting new virus definitions.
    > All he got that time around was input from people who run businesses on
    > it, or type letters, send emails, manipulate graphics, audio and video,
    > maintain web sites and so forth. Not _real_ work, like porn viewing and
    > piracy.

    Ah, that explains it. :-)

    --
    Mandriva - 2008.1 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Who *seriously* uses Linux for *serious* work? EOM

    On Mar 31, 12:53*am, raylopez99 wrote:
    > .

    I do when the situation calls for it at work. There is still lots of
    Windows development too though.

  12. Re: Who *seriously* uses Linux for *serious* work? EOM

    William Poaster wrote:

    > RonB wrote:
    >
    >> Who seriously uses Linux for serious work?

    > The raydopez idiot troll has asked this before:

    Several times, now.

    > Has the troll got a short memory problem or what? Or maybe he just likes
    > looking a cretin.

    He's a useless fsckwit. I can't imagine why he's not universally KF'ed.

  13. Re: Who *seriously* uses Linux for *serious* work? EOM

    Sinister Midget wrote:

    > Presumably he didn't find anybody last time who does any *real* work,
    > like downloading Windwoes updates, or getting new virus definitions.
    > All he got that time around was input from people who run businesses on
    > it, or type letters, send emails, manipulate graphics, audio and video,
    > maintain web sites and so forth. Not _real_ work, like porn viewing and
    > piracy.

    No no, I view porn on it also.

    As well as other things, you understand.

  14. Re: Who *seriously* uses Linux for *serious* work? EOM

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, raylopez99

    wrote
    on Sun, 30 Mar 2008 21:53:18 -0700 (PDT)
    :
    > .

    By definition, there's no such thing as "serious work"
    using Linux. (This despite its widespread deployment
    in the server world, but that's not a fact that's all
    that convenient, is it?) Contrariwise, Windows is the
    definition of serious work, as Microsoft has (presumably)
    decreed it so, even when the user is up to his eyeballs
    (if not deeper) in various pieces of malware, spyware,
    theftware, ruinware, and just plain slopware. Of course
    the user might have to expend serious work (and dollars)
    to eradicate said pieces, but never mind that, even if the
    zombies do appear to be taking over the Internet asylum,
    spewing out some ... interesting ... advertisements.

    Or worse.

    There are also various hybrids, which might play some
    interesting games with this definition. Since we've
    already established Windows as series work and Linux as
    nothing more than a play-toy, one has to ask what efforts
    such as WinE, VmWare, and coLinux are. Best I can do
    here is:

    - WinE: serious work layered on top of a play toy.
    - VmWare: serious-work-in-a-box
    - coLinux: A play toy sitting on a serious work box.

    But never mind all that: where did you want to go with this today?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. Multi-platform(1), multi-tasking(1), multi-user(1).
    (1) if one defines "multi" as "exactly one".

  15. Re: Who *seriously* uses Linux for *serious* work? EOM

    William Poaster espoused:
    > RonB wrote:
    >
    >> Who seriously uses Linux for serious work?

    > The raydopez idiot troll has asked this before:
    >
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?as...=2008&safe=off
    >
    > or
    > http://preview.tinyurl.com/3yyjkj
    >
    > Has the troll got a short memory problem or what? Or maybe he just likes looking
    > a cretin.

    Err, Google? IBM? Alcatel? Thompson? Motorola? Nokia? Asus?
    Elonex? Dell?

    Perhaps he's an editor for one of those women's magazines for men, you
    know, then ones that say "how to get a six pack" and "how to improve
    your memory" every single month.

  16. Re: Newsflash: Raylopez99 makes a point!

    ml2mst wrote:

    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> .

    > Congratulations you finally wrote something sensible and (even) made a
    > point.
    >
    > Thus there _is_ a God after all :-)

    BWA HA HA HA HA !!! !! !

  17. Re: Newsflash: Raylopez99 makes a point!

    "7" schreef in bericht
    news:UyaIj.2376$xA.437@text.news.virginmedia.com.. .
    > ml2mst wrote:
    >
    >> raylopez99 wrote:
    >>
    >>> .

    >> Congratulations you finally wrote something sensible and (even) made a
    >> point.
    >>
    >> Thus there _is_ a God after all :-)
    >>

    > BWA HA HA HA HA !!! !! !

    Thanks again Joseph Michael, you proved my point!
    <"7", the laughing stock of usenet!>
    --
    NetKKKop, NetK00k and King of All Retards 7

  18. Re: Newsflash: Raylopez99 makes a point!

    "7" schreef in bericht
    news:UyaIj.2376$xA.437@text.news.virginmedia.com.. .
    > ml2mst wrote:
    >
    >> raylopez99 wrote:
    >>
    >>> .

    >> Congratulations you finally wrote something sensible and (even) made a
    >> point.
    >>
    >> Thus there _is_ a God after all :-)
    >>

    > BWA HA HA HA HA !!! !! !

    Thanks again Joseph Michael, you proved my point!
    <"7", the laughing stock of usenet!>
    --
    NetKKKop, NetK00k and King of All Retards 7

+ Reply to Thread