Firefox To Launch Open Source Browser To Seize Chinese Market

,----[ Quote ]
| Guo Yuanzheng, general manager of Mozilla Online Ltd, a China-based
| subsidiary of the Mozilla Corporation that is in charge of promoting Firefox
| in China, has told the local media that Firefox will soon start a new
| campaign to seize more market share in China.
`----

http://www.chinatechnews.com/2008/03...hinese-market/

Recent:

China's Firefox growth kicks Aussies off top user list

,----[ Quote ]
| Australia has missed out making it into a list of countries containing the
| most Firefox users, with the number of Chinese users of the browser taking
| over Australian ones between November and December. *
|
| [...]
|
| "China is the fastest growing locale in relative share," Schroepfer said.
`----

Mozilla Takes on Microsoft in China

,----[ Quote ]
| Internet Explorer has held a virtual monopoly on the mainland, home to 160
| million Internet users. Now, Firefox is pushing for more market share
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...lobal+business

Firefox Combines Baidu Search Engine

,----[ Quote ]
| The Mozilla project's launch by Netscape in 1998 was a defining moment for
| the open source movement. Mozilla continues to be a leader and partner in
| open source development, providing low cost and alternative choices for
| technology. And, with millions of users, Mozilla is one of the largest
| distributors of open source software. * *
`----

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/...20News/944888/

Related:

Microsoft browser rival Mozilla eyes China

,----[ Quote ]
| California-based Mozilla already has a presence in China via a
| not-for-profit foundation supporting open-source software
| projects, but the Beijing office will be its first real
| corporate presence, Mozilla Chief Operating Officer John Lilly said on
| Friday.
|
| [...]
|
| Mozilla employs 100 staff worldwide, but has a much larger
| community of volunteers who test, tweak and share open-source
| software such as Linux, on which Firefox is based.
|
| Mozilla operates through tie-ups with Google Inc. and Yahoo Inc.,
| targeting individual Web surfers, while open-source heavyweight
| and main Linux distributor Red Hat Inc. and, recently,
| Oracle Corp., target corporate clients.
`----

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakin...ticle_id=47187

China gets into the FOSS groove

,----[ Quote ]
| If there is mass take-up of free and open source software in any
| country over the next few years, that country is likely to be China.
`----

Will cash solve China's 'community' problem?

,----[ Quote ]
| The government, I learnt, as well as universities are also
| forming communities, which are sponsored and intended to attract
| talented developers, or more, to point the contributors to the
| cause of the sponsor. The government mainly funds the top open
| source companies in China--those being Red Flag, Turbo Linux and
| Sun Wah, and these groups in turn need to devote a portion of
| their funding to the government initiative to promote skills in
| this area. It makes sense because how can the government grow
| its infrastructure if there is no skilled labor to develop and
| support it?
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/blog/openso...1984296,00.htm

China's Linux industry booms, despite problems

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://community.linux.com/article.p...1917209&tid=53