[News] OOXML in Malaysia: Microsoft+Microsoft Puppets Versus the Rest of Industry - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] OOXML in Malaysia: Microsoft+Microsoft Puppets Versus the Rest of Industry - Linux ; Malaysian Technical Committee for E-Commerce (TC4) vote on OOXML ,----[ Quote ] | The final vote for TC4 was: 4 Approvals, 8 Disapprovals and 5 Abstentions. | | What is interesting is that the Approvals, like in the case of ...

  1. [News] OOXML in Malaysia: Microsoft+Microsoft Puppets Versus the Rest of Industry

    Malaysian Technical Committee for E-Commerce (TC4) vote on OOXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The final vote for TC4 was: 4 Approvals, 8 Disapprovals and 5 Abstentions.
    |
    | What is interesting is that the Approvals, like in the case of India are
    | associations which have strong ties with Microsoft, of whom provides support,
    | funding and are sponsors to their events.
    `----

    http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008...ian-techn.html

    Is this a vote on /technical/ stuff? Or just people voting for their pocket?

    Recent:

    OOXML: decision time is nigh

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Wipro, Infosys and TCS are the three big companies that accept business
    | process outsourcing from the American and other markets, hence their vote for
    | Microsoft is not a surprise at all. These are companies that maintain the
    | status quo, conservative to the core and willing to do the bidding of the
    | piper. Nasscom represents the interests of the bigger IT companies and it
    | probably had no choice but to fall in line. * *
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17353/1148/

    Microsoft files complaint on OOXML vote to apex office and Ministry of Consumer
    Affairs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At the meeting held on 20th March 2008, we were informed that Microsoft has
    | complained to the Ministry of Consumer Affairs and to the apex office of the
    | country about the constitution of the committee and also cast aspersions on
    | the impartiality of the chairperson of LITD15, Mrs. Neeta Verma. The
    | chairperson was furious and offered to step down from her post. She pointed
    | out that the committee has met numerous times and Microsoft never brought
    | this issue up in front of the committee nor did they check the facts with her
    | or her organization before complaining to the apex office.
    `----

    http://osindia.blogspot.com/2008/03/...oxml-vote.html

    Should India change its vote No vote for OOXML? - please?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Well done to the Bureau of Indian Standards for standing firm against this
    | raging bully. Hopefully one day the bully will learn how to play fair and
    | contribute positively to the standards process, and not try to manipulate its
    | way in.
    |
    | Truly despicable behaviour. Shame on you, Microsoft, yet again. How will we
    | ever trust you?
    `----

    http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008...-india-ch.html

    Related:

    Steve Ballmer was in India?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Interestingly, that was the day when BIS met to discuss OOXML. For those who
    | have been following this issue, India's final vote on the subject will be on
    | 20th May 2008. Talk about timing! *
    `----

    http://osindia.blogspot.com/2008/03/...-in-india.html

    Microsoft influencing partner NGOs to support OOXML in India

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is encouraging its business partners to promote its Office Open XML
    | specification (OOXML) to the Indian Bureau of Standards (BIS) and Ministry of
    | IT. This move has incensed supporters of the rival OpenDocument Format (ODF)
    | who fear that the "soft" Indian state may not be able to stand up to
    | Microsoft pressure tactics. * *
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/128528

    Microsoft India using NGOs to fake support for OOXML

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-44038...port-for-ooxml

    Becoming a better company: Microsoft helps NGOs in India

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Of course, there has to be some trade-offs, because there should never be
    | free lunch, even for the ones who starve: Microsoft, according to this
    | article, has conditioned its help to Indian NGOs to their support of OOXML.
    | What the NGOs had to do was to send letters of support on OOXML to the
    | federal government of India. * *
    `----

    http://standardsandfreedom.net/index...ngos-in-india/

    Microsoft "persuades" NGOs to support OOXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Our friends at Linux Delhi have put up a copy of the form letters that
    | Microsoft has been sending NGOs on the OOXML issue. Apparently, these NGOs
    | have been sending copies of these letters to the Ministry of IT and Bureau of
    | Indian standards. * *
    `----

    http://osindia.blogspot.com/2008/02/...o-support.html

    Developers around the world, unite!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Monopoly and proprietary software have an advantage in influencing state and
    | governmental institutions because of their large market base and ready
    | capital. Unscrupulous ways of influencing state governments have persisted in
    | India, for example, where executives of proprietary software cajole
    | government heads to promote their brands in lieu of some form of charity
    | given. FLOSS activists must overcome this huge challenge in order to get
    | their philosophy accepted and model implemented for the good of people who
    | are still on the barren side of the digital divide. * * *
    `----

    http://thepost.com.pk/OpinionNews.as...47277&catid=11

    Using NGOs to Push Agendas

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The extent to which Microsoft can go in its efforts to get OOXML is
    | interesting. Microsoft has "persuaded" several non-profit organizations to
    | bombard the Indian IT Secretary and the Additional Director General of the
    | Bureau of Indian Standards with letters supporting its OOXML proposal. A copy
    | of the form letter they have been circulating to NGOs is given below.
    | Somebody should interview these NGOs to see how much they really know about
    | OOXML and open standards. * * *
    |
    | The sequence of events leading up to the spamming of GoI? is:
    |
    | Letter from an NGO thanking Microsoft (name changed to protect their
    | identity)
    `----

    http://wiki.linux-delhi.org/cgi-bin/...rds/MsNgoLobby

  2. Re: [News] OOXML in Malaysia: Microsoft+Microsoft Puppets Versus the Rest of Industry

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 04:10:34 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Malaysian Technical Committee for E-Commerce (TC4) vote on OOXML
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The final vote for TC4 was: 4 Approvals, 8 Disapprovals and 5 Abstentions.
    >|
    >| What is interesting is that the Approvals, like in the case of India are
    >| associations which have strong ties with Microsoft, of whom provides support,
    >| funding and are sponsors to their events.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008...ian-techn.html
    >
    > Is this a vote on /technical/ stuff? Or just people voting for their pocket?

    Interesting that he doesn't mention how many people disapproved that are
    either on the payroll of a MS Office Competitor or are partners of a
    Microsoft Office Competitor.

    I wonder how many that is?

+ Reply to Thread