Debian Lenny : update to games - Linux

This is a discussion on Debian Lenny : update to games - Linux ; Do a update now! There's a new version of xmoto in the repositories! Such wonderful changes include: ,---- | X-Moto 0.4.2 2008-03-18 | ----------------------- | * several rooms possible in configuration | * option to remove levels not suitable for ...

  1. Debian Lenny : update to games

    ,----
    | X-Moto 0.4.2 2008-03-18
    | -----------------------
    | * several rooms possible in configuration
    | * option to remove levels not suitable for children
    | * man page is no more gunzipped
    | * AddPenaltyTime(), PlaySound(), PlayMusic(), StopMusic(), AddForceToPlayer(), SetCameraRotationSpeed() script functions (patches by gaivota)
    | * ctrl + down/up in replays to adjust speed
    | * --cleanNoWWWLevels to clean levels which are no longer available on the website (move them into ~/.xmoto/Trash)
    | * biker interact with world when dead
    | * fix layers while autozoom
    | * major string printing speedup
    | * some other minor modifications
    | * dynamic camera while playing
    `----

    The question is : why?

    Screen shots here:

    http://wiki.xmoto.tuxfamily.org/inde...le=Screenshots

    Honestly, you couldn't make it up.

    Just what is he looking at in the top of that ice cream cone?

    http://wiki.xmoto.tuxfamily.org/imag...enshot0020.png

  2. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:43:19 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Do a update now! There's a new version of xmoto in the repositories!
    >
    > Such wonderful changes include:
    >
    > ,----
    >| X-Moto 0.4.2 2008-03-18
    >| -----------------------
    >| * several rooms possible in configuration
    >| * option to remove levels not suitable for children
    >| * man page is no more gunzipped
    >| * AddPenaltyTime(), PlaySound(), PlayMusic(), StopMusic(), AddForceToPlayer(), SetCameraRotationSpeed() script functions (patches by gaivota)
    >| * ctrl + down/up in replays to adjust speed
    >| * --cleanNoWWWLevels to clean levels which are no longer available on the website (move them into ~/.xmoto/Trash)
    >| * biker interact with world when dead
    >| * fix layers while autozoom
    >| * major string printing speedup
    >| * some other minor modifications
    >| * dynamic camera while playing
    > `----
    >
    > The question is : why?
    >
    > Screen shots here:
    >
    > http://wiki.xmoto.tuxfamily.org/inde...le=Screenshots
    >
    > Honestly, you couldn't make it up.
    >
    > Just what is he looking at in the top of that ice cream cone?
    >
    > http://wiki.xmoto.tuxfamily.org/imag...enshot0020.png

    I guess fixing all the lockups people seem to be having is not as important
    as release a game that looks like something from 1985...

    Go Linux!
    You go girl!!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstroturfer Hadron wrote on behalf of half wits
    from Micoshaft Corporation:

    > Screen shots here:

    Try Nexuiz for size.
    Linux now owns the gaming space for fastest frame rate at highest
    resolutions. Comes free with source code to modify and build
    your own levels and featurs.

    Windummies nowhere to be seen and unlikely ever to catch up.

  4. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    7 writes:

    > Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstroturfer Hadron wrote on behalf of half wits
    > from Micoshaft Corporation:
    >

    >> Screen shots here:

    > Try Nexuiz for size.

    Or OpenArena. Both competent 10 year old technology worth a bit of a
    laugh. Nothing more.

    > Linux now owns the gaming space for fastest frame rate at highest
    > resolutions. Comes free with source code to modify and build
    > your own levels and featurs.

    10 years behind the technology curve yes.

    > Windummies nowhere to be seen and unlikely ever to catch up.

    --
    * liiwi takes the whip and eyes pasc
    < pasc> ohh!!! kinky!

  5. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstroturfer Hadron wrote on behalf of half wits
    from Micoshaft Corporation:

    >> Linux now owns the gaming space for fastest frame rate at highest
    >> resolutions. Comes free with source code to modify and build
    >> your own levels and featurs.

    > 10 years behind the technology curve yes.

    Get your facts in order.
    Its windummies OSen that are years behind for highest speed
    and highest resolution video games.
    They are unlikely ever to catch up with their jitter prone crap.
    Even less likely in the cutting edge games market
    with extreme graphics and action content.

    >> Windummies nowhere to be seen and unlikely ever to catch up.

  6. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > I guess fixing all the lockups people seem to be having is not as important
    > as release a game that looks like something from 1985...
    >
    > Go Linux!
    > You go girl!!

    Yeah, and like, I'm all annoyed at the time wasted writing the
    latest version of Halo instead of fixing all the problms in Vista.
    Oh wait, those were different groups of programmers with different
    goals... what were we talking about again?

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  7. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    In article <1t5xr38b6xtm3$.oz3yszznzxrh.dlg@40tude.net>,
    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:43:19 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    > > Screen shots here:
    > >
    > > http://wiki.xmoto.tuxfamily.org/inde...le=Screenshots
    > >
    > > Honestly, you couldn't make it up.
    > >
    > > Just what is he looking at in the top of that ice cream cone?
    > >
    > > http://wiki.xmoto.tuxfamily.org/imag...enshot0020.png

    > I guess fixing all the lockups people seem to be having is not as important
    > as release a game that looks like something from 1985...

    Have either of you *played* that game? The criticism seems to all be
    about the graphics, but many gamers *like* the retro look, especially on
    simple games. Just because the technology exists to make super
    realistic graphics in games doesn't mean we always should.

    Here's a super-realistic Mario, for example:

    Would you really prefer that to SNES Mario?

    Reading the level design page here:

    leads me to believe that the authors of X-Moto in fact do understand
    good game design, and very likely understand when the retro look is the
    right way to go, and made the correct decision as far as graphics go.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  8. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    7 wrote:

    > Its windummies OSen that are years behind for highest speed
    > and highest resolution video games.
    > They are unlikely ever to catch up with their jitter prone crap.
    > Even less likely in the cutting edge games market
    > with extreme graphics and action content.

    I wonder how many plonk lists you're on?

  9. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    Tim Smith writes:

    > In article <1t5xr38b6xtm3$.oz3yszznzxrh.dlg@40tude.net>,
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:43:19 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >> > Screen shots here:
    >> >
    >> > http://wiki.xmoto.tuxfamily.org/inde...le=Screenshots
    >> >
    >> > Honestly, you couldn't make it up.
    >> >
    >> > Just what is he looking at in the top of that ice cream cone?
    >> >
    >> > http://wiki.xmoto.tuxfamily.org/imag...enshot0020.png

    >> I guess fixing all the lockups people seem to be having is not as important
    >> as release a game that looks like something from 1985...

    > Have either of you *played* that game? The criticism seems to all be
    > about the graphics, but many gamers *like* the retro look, especially on
    > simple games. Just because the technology exists to make super
    > realistic graphics in games doesn't mean we always should.
    >
    > Here's a super-realistic Mario, for example:
    >

    > Would you really prefer that to SNES Mario?
    >
    > Reading the level design page here:
    >

    > leads me to believe that the authors of X-Moto in fact do understand
    > good game design, and very likely understand when the retro look is the
    > right way to go, and made the correct decision as far as graphics go.

    I would hazard a guess you are not a gamer. The "retro look" is simply
    because it's a crap game Tim. There is nothing "retro" about it.

    --
    I've always wanted to have a web site with a big picture of a carrot on it

  10. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    Hadron :

    > Do a update now! There's a new version of xmoto in the repositories!

    Not me, I play these games:

    http://websterscafe.com/thekids.jpg

    --
    When you get your PH.D. will you get able to work at BURGER KING?

    www.websterscafe.com

  11. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 18:11:33 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <1t5xr38b6xtm3$.oz3yszznzxrh.dlg@40tude.net>,
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:43:19 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >>> Screen shots here:
    >>>
    >>> http://wiki.xmoto.tuxfamily.org/inde...le=Screenshots
    >>>
    >>> Honestly, you couldn't make it up.
    >>>
    >>> Just what is he looking at in the top of that ice cream cone?
    >>>
    >>> http://wiki.xmoto.tuxfamily.org/imag...enshot0020.png

    >> I guess fixing all the lockups people seem to be having is not as important
    >> as release a game that looks like something from 1985...

    > Have either of you *played* that game? The criticism seems to all be
    > about the graphics, but many gamers *like* the retro look, especially on
    > simple games. Just because the technology exists to make super
    > realistic graphics in games doesn't mean we always should.
    >
    > Here's a super-realistic Mario, for example:
    >

    > Would you really prefer that to SNES Mario?
    >
    > Reading the level design page here:
    >

    > leads me to believe that the authors of X-Moto in fact do understand
    > good game design, and very likely understand when the retro look is the
    > right way to go, and made the correct decision as far as graphics go.

    Actually I *prefer* the older type games like Tetris, Pacman, Duke Nukem
    etc.

    Why, because you can learn how to play them in 2 minutes or less.
    I don't want to have to study a game in order to play it and have fun, like
    say Halo.
    They are also deceptively addictive and fun at the same time.

    However, I don't believe the authors of xmoto are going for the retro look
    on purpose.
    It's just the what they have to offer.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > Have either of you *played* that game? The criticism seems to all be
    > about the graphics, but many gamers *like* the retro look, especially
    > on simple games. Just because the technology exists to make super
    > realistic graphics in games doesn't mean we always should.

    I've played it, and it's just ridiculous. You can pop a front-wheelie, and
    then move forward and backward, as if the front wheel is powered. You can
    compress and decompress and you and the bike pop straight up in the air, the
    equivalent of 25 feet up. It appears to break every law of physics that can
    be broken by a two wheel (one-powered) system. None of that would matter if
    it were actually fun or interesting or acted like a motorcycle game or had
    any worthwhile gameplay or level design.

    > leads me to believe that the authors of X-Moto in fact do understand
    > good game design, and very likely understand when the retro look is
    > the right way to go, and made the correct decision as far as graphics
    > go.

    Looks to me like the "retro look" was used because they didn't know how to
    create a 3D model, so they just drew a crude 2D sprite. The rider is way
    too big for the cycle.

    It's fair to say XMoto fails at every possible measure: game play, level
    design, graphics, sound, physics, textures, features, entertainment value,
    replay value, etc.

    The scary thing is Linux Format magazine called it a Hot Pick in Christmas
    2006 issue.

    If you want to see a cool game with retro graphics, check out Team Fortress
    2 by paid developers http://orange.half-life2.com/tf2.html, or Tron 2.0.

  13. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related newsgroups

  14. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related newsgroups

  15. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > I would hazard a guess you are not a gamer. The "retro look" is simply
    > because it's a crap game Tim. There is nothing "retro" about it.

    Anyone know of a port of "Halls of the things"?

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

+ Reply to Thread