Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users - Linux ; "NoStop" wrote in message news:fspcba625bt@news4.newsguy.com... > > It's not a competitor to Vista. There is NO competition. Vista is a POS. > Period. Anything could compete with that toy operating system and win. > Even > an Etch-A-Sketch. > You're ...

  1. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    "NoStop" wrote in message

    > It's not a competitor to Vista. There is NO competition. Vista is a POS.
    > Period. Anything could compete with that toy operating system and win.
    > Even
    > an Etch-A-Sketch.

    You're right - Vista has no real competition. 100 + million licenses so far,
    with more every day. Vista dominates the computing world.

    A few thousand lefties who are too cheap to buy real software run Linux.

  2. Re: Microshaft Software: slopware about to chase off millions of users to Linux

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:43:47 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Linux uptake in /this/ neighbourhood (of roughly 120 dwellings)?
    >> 88%! The rest are almost entirely Macs, with just /one/ Windoze XP
    >> machine used by a kid who plays games. This is just an ordinary
    >> (albeit "upmarket") North London suburb...

    > Must be a little make-believe town you built for your toy trains to run
    > through.
    >
    > choo-choo! Make way for the Linux Express!

    Hopefully it doesn't derail and crash like the Linux sponsored NASCAR!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:51:12 -0000, Rick wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:36:21 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> t=587905&highlight=freeze&page=46

    >>> Why does it look like "Ubuntu is riddled with bugs"?

    >> Read the forums.

    > Read the Windows related forums.

    >>> "on life support"? How can Linux be "on life support" when its userbase
    >>> keeps increasing?

    >> From what 0.6 percent to 0.8 percent over at least 10 years? That's
    >> hardly anything to brag about.

    > That's a pretty big gain when you consider the lack of advertising, and
    > the herd mentality and network effects that must be fought.

    >>> So, you will no longer be using and Linux distros?

    >> Of course not.
    >> Linux will remain a niche desktop system.

    > Let's make this clear... you are saying will no longer be using any Linux
    > distros?

    No.
    I said I will NOT stop using Linux.
    I personally don't care if it's a niche system.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 01:22:37 -0000, Rick wrote:

    > Or the OS that run the computers in the offices in the City of Largo, FL,
    > or the OS that runs many (most?) of the top 500 hundred supercompters.

    FWIW the Linux loons have been dragging out the Lardo conversion for years.
    For those that don't know, I suggest a little Google work on that place.
    >> And a server OS in the back room.

    > As a desktop OS being used in Hollywood...

    To replace high priced SGI and Unix systems that were running highly
    vertical applications.

    >> Every year since 1997 has been
    >> the "year of Linux on the desktop." Its never going to happen. Have fun
    >> with Linux. Enjoy it. But don˘t assert that it˘s a serious competitor
    >> for Vista.

    > I haven't asserted it is a serious contender for Vista.

    Linux is, has been and if it doesn't improve, will always be sitting at
    less than 1 percent.

    Face the facts Rick, Linux is free and people just don't seem to want to
    use it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 04:06:43 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Canuck57" writes:
    >
    >> "Dick Hurtz" wrote in message
    >> news:us6dnTbwQpAArG3anZ2dnUVZ_hisnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >>>

    >>> "Rick" wrote in message

    >>> No, it's a joke. Linux will never be anything more than a hobby OS for
    >>> geeks. And a server OS in the back room. Every year since 1997 has been
    >>> the "year of Linux on the desktop." Its never going to happen. Have fun
    >>> with Linux. Enjoy it. But don't assert that it's a serious competitor for
    >>> Vista.

    >> Of the top 500 super computers in the world, 380 some odd run Linux.
    >> Of

    > So usage += 380.
    >
    > Whoopee doo. And how much do they contribute back to the OSS
    > repositories I wonder?

    Is anyone in this group as dense as NoStop?
    The guy seems to be as thick as a brick.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 01:22:37 -0000, Rick wrote:
    >

    >> Or the OS that run the computers in the offices in the City of Largo, FL,
    >> or the OS that runs many (most?) of the top 500 hundred supercompters.

    > FWIW the Linux loons have been dragging out the Lardo conversion for
    > years. For those that don't know, I suggest a little Google work on that
    > place.
    >>> And a server OS in the back room.

    >> As a desktop OS being used in Hollywood...

    > To replace high priced SGI and Unix systems that were running highly
    > vertical applications.
    >
    >>> Every year since 1997 has been
    >>> the "year of Linux on the desktop." Its never going to happen. Have fun
    >>> with Linux. Enjoy it. But don’t assert that it’s a serious competitor
    >>> for Vista.

    >> I haven't asserted it is a serious contender for Vista.

    > Linux is, has been and if it doesn't improve, will always be sitting at
    > less than 1 percent.
    >
    > Face the facts Rick, Linux is free and people just don't seem to want to
    > use it.

    And you claim to use it. Height of hypocrisy or just another brain fart?

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  7. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    RonB wrote:
    > Dick Hurtz wrote:
    >
    >> You're right - Vista has no real competition. 100 + million licenses
    >> so far, with more every day. Vista dominates the computing world.
    >>
    >> A few thousand lefties who are too cheap to buy real software run
    >> Linux.

    > 100 plus million licenses, but how many people are actually running
    > the ****

    Approx 20x as many as run Linux, according to the website hits at hitslink.

    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10

    > and haven't already upgraded to XP or Linux. Micro$haft
    > considers it a sold license if it shipped -- not if it's actually
    > used or even sold. And can you name a few corporations that have
    > actually committed to running Vista-ME?

    No such thing as Vista-ME, but Vista has wiped the floor with Linux, just as
    XP did, and 2000 did before that.

    > Yeah, that's what I thought.

    You can't think, WRonG. All you can do is repeat the lame, dumbass
    statements of cola Linux fanbois.

    In the real world "Nearly half of businesses are in some phase of preparing
    to update desktops to Windows Vista with small businesses moving the fastest
    to implement the OS.."
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...fastest_1.html

    > It's a failure, despite Micro$haft's monopoly status.

    In cola's wildest orangutan dreams would Linux receive this %/many positive
    reviews:

  8. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > The guy seems to be as thick as a brick.

    You adequately describe /yourself/ - blind, stupid and prejudiced, Mushy.

    C.

  9. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    Hadron wrote:

    > Much as I love Linux it is ridiculous to suggest Linux is deployed on
    > more machines than Vista.

    I said nothing of the sort, you dolt.

    You were removed from the bozo-bin here only yesterday. You've lasted 12
    hours. Back in the reject pile you go, you moron.

    C.

  10. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    Christopher Hunter writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Much as I love Linux it is ridiculous to suggest Linux is deployed on
    >> more machines than Vista.

    > I said nothing of the sort, you dolt.
    >
    > You were removed from the bozo-bin here only yesterday. You've lasted 12
    > hours. Back in the reject pile you go, you moron.
    >
    > C.

    Come off it Chunt. You've been called on your bull**** time and time
    again. No one believes a word you say.

    Here's one for you:

    http://newmail.monsterserve.com/keep...vies/truth.wav

  11. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:28:53 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Christopher Hunter writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Much as I love Linux it is ridiculous to suggest Linux is deployed on
    >>> more machines than Vista.

    >> I said nothing of the sort, you dolt.
    >>
    >> You were removed from the bozo-bin here only yesterday. You've lasted 12
    >> hours. Back in the reject pile you go, you moron.
    >>
    >> C.
    >>

    > Come off it Chunt. You've been called on your bull**** time and time
    > again. No one believes a word you say.
    >
    > Here's one for you:
    >
    > http://newmail.monsterserve.com/keep...vies/truth.wav

    Another starry eyed zealot without a clue.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    "Canuck57" wrote in message

    > Of the top 500 super computers in the world, 380 some odd run Linux.

    Next time I need a supercomputer to run my desktop I will probably buy
    linux, until then it has no relevance to any argument about linux's
    popularity amongst general users.
    In fact the linux on a supercomputer has little to do with the linux most
    people want.

    > Of those that remain, all but 6 run some form of UNIX. Only 6 run
    > Windows. All are at the bottom of the list in performance but near the top
    > of the list in performance.

    ???

    > It is a market OWNED by Linux. Power computing is Linux because it has
    > the features, the programming tools and clustering. A front that
    > Microsoft never even had. The battle is exclusive of Linux and UNIX.

    M$ have never sold into that market, so what?
    You have to have a product before you can sell it.

    > That being said, it is the extortion might of Microsoft that holds Linux
    > back. But Linux has more staying power and like the turtle in the race
    > with the hare, slow but surely, Linux will smack MS hard given nothing but
    > time. It is already growing in the I/T data center...go figure.

    What hold linux back is a lack of applications people want. There are
    thousands.. but not the ones people want.
    Even the ones that do exist are available for windows as well as linux so
    they are not a driving force, if you have windows running.. just add the OSS
    application, why bother with an unnecessary OS install?
    If linux had a killer app, someone would just port it to windows, the
    problem with linux is that it is open source and that is what holds it back.
    Linux isn't sufficiently advanced for a user to write an application that
    can't be ported to windows.

    > Thing about next time you google, the biggest integrated network of
    > computers in the world, all running Linux. As is Akami, a Microsoft
    > service provider.

    So what, I don't run a CDN, neither do most people.
    All you are doing is justifying linux as being suitable for large scale
    deployments where saving $20 a machine is a lot.

  13. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:02:56 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 01:22:37 -0000, Rick wrote:
    >

    >> Or the OS that run the computers in the offices in the City of Largo,
    >> FL, or the OS that runs many (most?) of the top 500 hundred
    >> supercompters.

    > FWIW the Linux loons have been dragging out the Lardo conversion for
    > years. For those that don't know, I suggest a little Google work on that
    > place.

    Yes, you will find some very god reviews.

    >>> And a server OS in the back room.

    >> As a desktop OS being used in Hollywood...

    > To replace high priced SGI and Unix systems that were running highly
    > vertical applications.

    And some Windows machines.

    >>> Every year since 1997 has been
    >>> the "year of Linux on the desktop." Its never going to happen. Have
    >>> fun with Linux. Enjoy it. But don’t assert that it’s a serious
    >>> competitor for Vista.

    >> I haven't asserted it is a serious contender for Vista.

    > Linux is, has been and if it doesn't improve, will always be sitting at
    > less than 1 percent.
    >
    > Face the facts Rick, Linux is free and people just don't seem to want to
    > use it.

    Face facts. True want has nothing to do with it. Herd mentality and the
    network effects of an illegally maintained monopoly do.

    --
    Rick

  14. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 04:06:43 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Canuck57" writes:
    >
    >> "Dick Hurtz" wrote in message
    >> news:us6dnTbwQpAArG3anZ2dnUVZ_hisnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >>>

    >>> "Rick" wrote in message

    >>> No, it's a joke. Linux will never be anything more than a hobby OS for
    >>> geeks. And a server OS in the back room. Every year since 1997 has
    >>> been the "year of Linux on the desktop." Its never going to happen.
    >>> Have fun with Linux. Enjoy it. But don't assert that it's a serious
    >>> competitor for Vista.

    >> Of the top 500 super computers in the world, 380 some odd run Linux. Of

    > So usage += 380.
    >
    > Whoopee doo. And how much do they contribute back to the OSS
    > repositories I wonder?

    Write and ask, then you don't have to wonder.

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 22:58:50 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:51:12 -0000, Rick wrote:

    >>> Read the forums.

    >> Read the Windows related forums.

    >>> From what 0.6 percent to 0.8 percent over at least 10 years? That's
    >>> hardly anything to brag about.

    >> That's a pretty big gain when you consider the lack of advertising, and
    >> the herd mentality and network effects that must be fought.

    >>> Of course not.
    >>> Linux will remain a niche desktop system.

    >> Let's make this clear... you are saying will no longer be using any
    >> Linux distros?

    > No.
    > I said I will NOT stop using Linux.
    > I personally don't care if it's a niche system.

    So, why do you continue to use an OS you continually criticize as being
    inferior to Windows?

    --
    Rick

  16. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    Hadron wrote:
    > "Canuck57" writes:
    >
    >> "Dick Hurtz" wrote in message
    >> news:us6dnTbwQpAArG3anZ2dnUVZ_hisnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >>>
    >>> "Rick" wrote in message

    >>> No, it's a joke. Linux will never be anything more than a hobby OS for
    >>> geeks. And a server OS in the back room. Every year since 1997 has been
    >>> the "year of Linux on the desktop." Its never going to happen. Have fun
    >>> with Linux. Enjoy it. But don't assert that it's a serious competitor for
    >>> Vista.

    >> Of the top 500 super computers in the world, 380 some odd run Linux.
    >> Of

    > So usage += 380.
    >
    > Whoopee doo. And how much do they contribute back to the OSS
    > repositories I wonder?

    Quite some. A lot (if not all) of the "big iron" code comes from IBM and
    others who build these machines. A lot of that code is already used in
    medium-sized machines that e.g. can be equipped with hundreds of
    gigabytes of main memory or which have several tens of CPU cores.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  17. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    : People are obviously not interested in Linux as a desktop system.
    :

    Lying makes you feel good doesn't it?

  18. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    Canuck57 wrote:

    >> No, it's a joke. Linux will never be anything more than a hobby OS for
    >> geeks. And a server OS in the back room. Every year since 1997 has been
    >> the "year of Linux on the desktop." Its never going to happen. Have fun
    >> with Linux. Enjoy it. But don't assert that it's a serious competitor for
    >> Vista.

    > Of the top 500 super computers in the world, 380 some odd run Linux. Of
    > those that remain, all but 6 run some form of UNIX. Only 6 run Windows. All
    > are at the bottom of the list in performance but near the top of the list in
    > performance. It is a market OWNED by Linux. Power computing is Linux
    > because it has the features, the programming tools and clustering. A front
    > that Microsoft never even had. The battle is exclusive of Linux and UNIX.

    Is rewarding such an obvious troll a good idea?

  19. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.03.31.13.06.15.886688@nospam.invalid...
    > Canuck57 wrote:
    >
    >>> No, it's a joke. Linux will never be anything more than a hobby OS for
    >>> geeks. And a server OS in the back room. Every year since 1997 has been
    >>> the "year of Linux on the desktop." Its never going to happen. Have fun
    >>> with Linux. Enjoy it. But don't assert that it's a serious competitor
    >>> for
    >>> Vista.

    >> Of the top 500 super computers in the world, 380 some odd run Linux. Of
    >> those that remain, all but 6 run some form of UNIX. Only 6 run Windows.
    >> All
    >> are at the bottom of the list in performance but near the top of the list
    >> in
    >> performance. It is a market OWNED by Linux. Power computing is Linux
    >> because it has the features, the programming tools and clustering. A
    >> front
    >> that Microsoft never even had. The battle is exclusive of Linux and
    >> UNIX.

    > Is rewarding such an obvious troll a good idea?

    What do super computers have to do with desktop computers? No one doubts
    Linux is good in that space, just as no one doubts Linux is not good in the
    desktop space.

  20. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    "Christopher Hunter" wrote in message
    news:Th_Hj.138332$M9.16817@fe3.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
    > Dick Hurtz wrote:
    >
    >> No, it’s a joke. Linux will never be anything more than a hobby OS for
    >> geeks.

    > Wrong. It's the primary operating system for many major corporations and
    > governments.
    >
    >> And a server OS in the back room. Every year since 1997 has been
    >> the "year of Linux on the desktop." Its never going to happen.

    > Wrong. See above.
    >
    >> Have fun with Linux. Enjoy it.

    No, you're wrong. Linux has been stuck at approx less than 1% of the desktop
    market for years. Its free and no one wants it. You literally cant give it
    away.