Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users - Linux ; mark writes: > Moshe Goldfarb wrote: >> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 21:30:02 -0000, Rick wrote: >> >>> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:17:49 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote: >>> >>>> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 14:50:05 -0500, DFS wrote: >>>> ...

  1. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    mark writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> t=587905&highlight=freeze&page=46

    >>> Why does it look like "Ubuntu is riddled with bugs"?

    >> Read the forums.

    >>> "on life support"? How can Linux be "on life support" when its
    >>> userbase keeps increasing?

    >> From what 0.6 percent to 0.8 percent over at least 10 years?
    >> That's hardly anything to brag about.

    >>> So, you will no longer be using and Linux distros?

    >> Of course not.
    >> Linux will remain a niche desktop system.
    >>

    > So if you don't use linux at all then you really don't need to be
    > involved in this ng.

    Which NG? People who do not use Linux should be in COLA but
    unfortunately the people there/here are loonies and scare prospective
    new users away!

    --
    I thought you had a CS degree? And you never did a compiler course? I am
    amazed! - Hadron Quark, COLA

  2. Re: Microshaft Software: slopware about to chase off millions of users to Linux

    Christopher Hunter writes:

    > 7 wrote:
    >
    >> Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstroturfer Bob Campbell wrote on behalf of half
    >> wits from Micoshaft Coporation:

    > A load of nonsense that's better off snipped!
    >
    >> What a total fsck wit!

    > Exactly!
    >
    >> Submit these fraudulent techniques to a standards body
    >> and get it approved before broadcasting fraudulent measurement
    >> of Linux uptake.

    > It's funny how desperate M$ are becoming - their plans for world domination
    > in tatters, their share price (in real, global terms) falling. They're
    > even stuck in the USA, which is in a dire state and will only get worse as
    > the rest of the world start charging the yanks /real/ fuel prices...
    >
    > M$ are having to resort to bogus surveys and bull**** statistics in an
    > effort to make them appear a "success". The escape into the wild
    > of "Vista" made them look /really/ stupid, and they've even admitted their
    > incompetence by bringing forward the release of Windoze 7 and /buying/ in
    > all the major OS components because they no longer employ proper
    > programmers...
    >
    > Linux uptake in /this/ neighbourhood (of roughly 120 dwellings)? 88%! The
    > rest are almost entirely Macs, with just /one/ Windoze XP machine used by a
    > kid who plays games. This is just an ordinary (albeit "upmarket") North
    > London suburb...
    >
    > C.

    You are a liar. Pure and simple. Nothing you say can be believed.

    --
    any facts posited and opposes any conclusions reached in this message.

    -- Seen in the headers of a mail from Branden Robinson

  3. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:36:21 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 21:30:02 -0000, Rick wrote:

    >> t=587905&highlight=freeze&page=46
    >>>
    >>> It wouldn't surprise me at all.
    >>>
    >>> The problem with being the most popular Linux distribution is that now
    >>> it's time to pony up and deliver because the people are ready and
    >>> waiting.
    >>>
    >>> It looks like Ubuntu is riddled with bugs which is not a good thing.

    >> Why does it look like "Ubuntu is riddled with bugs"?

    > Read the forums.

    Read the Windows related forums.

    >>> Tell me, Linux desktop is currently hovering on life support at about
    >>> 0.6 percent of the desktop market share.

    >> "on life support"? How can Linux be "on life support" when its userbase
    >> keeps increasing?

    > From what 0.6 percent to 0.8 percent over at least 10 years? That's
    > hardly anything to brag about.

    That's a pretty big gain when you consider the lack of advertising, and
    the herd mentality and network effects that must be fought.

    >>> Can it go any lower?
    >>>
    >>> Someone pull the plug on this fossil already. People are obviously not
    >>> interested in Linux as a desktop system.

    >> So, you will no longer be using and Linux distros?

    > Of course not.
    > Linux will remain a niche desktop system.

    Let's make this clear... you are saying will no longer be using any Linux
    distros?

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    "Rick" wrote in message
    >>> Why does it look like "Ubuntu is riddled with bugs"?

    >> Read the forums.

    > Read the Windows related forums.

    All software is riddled with bugs. That's why these forums exist.

    >> From what 0.6 percent to 0.8 percent over at least 10 years? That's
    >> hardly anything to brag about.

    > That's a pretty big gain when you consider the lack of advertising, and
    > the herd mentality and network effects that must be fought.

    It's not a gain at all. It's within the margin of error. Linux has gone
    nowhere in 10 years.

    If Linux were any good, the "herd mentality" would be herding to it, instead
    of Windows, what with all the purported Windows problems. But no one is
    herding to Linux, which indicates the vast majority of people perceive
    Windows as less problematic than Linux.

  5. Re: Microshaft Software: slopware about to chase off millions of users to Linux

    Hadron wrote:

    > Christopher Hunter writes:
    >
    >> 7 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstroturfer Bob Campbell wrote on behalf of
    >>> half wits from Micoshaft Coporation:

    >> A load of nonsense that's better off snipped!
    >>
    >>> What a total fsck wit!

    >> Exactly!
    >>
    >>> Submit these fraudulent techniques to a standards body
    >>> and get it approved before broadcasting fraudulent measurement
    >>> of Linux uptake.

    >> It's funny how desperate M$ are becoming - their plans for world
    >> domination
    >> in tatters, their share price (in real, global terms) falling. They're
    >> even stuck in the USA, which is in a dire state and will only get worse
    >> as the rest of the world start charging the yanks /real/ fuel prices...
    >>
    >> M$ are having to resort to bogus surveys and bull**** statistics in an
    >> effort to make them appear a "success". The escape into the wild
    >> of "Vista" made them look /really/ stupid, and they've even admitted
    >> their incompetence by bringing forward the release of Windoze 7 and
    >> /buying/ in all the major OS components because they no longer employ
    >> proper programmers...
    >>
    >> Linux uptake in /this/ neighbourhood (of roughly 120 dwellings)? 88%!
    >> The rest are almost entirely Macs, with just /one/ Windoze XP machine
    >> used by a
    >> kid who plays games. This is just an ordinary (albeit "upmarket") North
    >> London suburb...
    >>
    >> C.
    >>

    > You are a liar. Pure and simple. Nothing you say can be believed.

    Takes one to know one and YOU are one of the biggest bull****ters around
    here. Why don't you just go back to using Windoze and play your games and
    forget about filling up the Ubuntu NG with your bull****?

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  6. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 21:30:02 -0000, Rick wrote:

    >> t=587905&highlight=freeze&page=46
    >>>
    >>> It wouldn't surprise me at all.
    >>>
    >>> The problem with being the most popular Linux distribution is that now
    >>> it's time to pony up and deliver because the people are ready and
    >>> waiting.
    >>>
    >>> It looks like Ubuntu is riddled with bugs which is not a good thing.

    >> Why does it look like "Ubuntu is riddled with bugs"?

    > Read the forums.
    >

    >>> Tell me, Linux desktop is currently hovering on life support at about
    >>> 0.6 percent of the desktop market share.

    >> "on life support"? How can Linux be "on life support" when its userbase
    >> keeps increasing?

    > From what 0.6 percent to 0.8 percent over at least 10 years?
    > That's hardly anything to brag about.
    >

    >>> Can it go any lower?
    >>>
    >>> Someone pull the plug on this fossil already. People are obviously not
    >>> interested in Linux as a desktop system.

    >> So, you will no longer be using and Linux distros?

    > Of course not.
    > Linux will remain a niche desktop system.

    OK, you're RIGHT Mr. Collector of soaps. Now, why don't you just give up on
    trolling the Linux NGs. IE, just **** off.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  7. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    "Rick" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:36:21 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> t=587905&highlight=freeze&page=46

    >>> Why does it look like "Ubuntu is riddled with bugs"?

    >> Read the forums.

    > Read the Windows related forums.

    >>> "on life support"? How can Linux be "on life support" when its userbase
    >>> keeps increasing?

    >> From what 0.6 percent to 0.8 percent over at least 10 years? That's
    >> hardly anything to brag about.

    > That's a pretty big gain when you consider the lack of advertising, and
    > the herd mentality and network effects that must be fought.

    No, it’s a joke. Linux will never be anything more than a hobby OS for
    geeks. And a server OS in the back room. Every year since 1997 has been the
    "year of Linux on the desktop." Its never going to happen. Have fun with
    Linux. Enjoy it. But don’t assert that it’s a serious competitor for Vista.

  8. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    Hadron wrote:

    > mark writes:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Read the forums.

    >>> From what 0.6 percent to 0.8 percent over at least 10 years?
    >>> That's hardly anything to brag about.

    >>> Of course not.
    >>> Linux will remain a niche desktop system.
    >>>

    >> So if you don't use linux at all then you really don't need to be
    >> involved in this ng.

    > Which NG? People who do not use Linux should be in COLA but
    > unfortunately the people there/here are loonies and scare prospective
    > new users away!

    Hadron where he puts the lunacy in Advocacy.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  9. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    Dick Hurtz wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message

    >>> Read the forums.

    >> Read the Windows related forums.

    >>> From what 0.6 percent to 0.8 percent over at least 10 years? That's
    >>> hardly anything to brag about.

    >> That's a pretty big gain when you consider the lack of advertising, and
    >> the herd mentality and network effects that must be fought.
    >>

    > No, it’s a joke. Linux will never be anything more than a hobby OS for
    > geeks. And a server OS in the back room. Every year since 1997 has been
    > the "year of Linux on the desktop." Its never going to happen. Have fun
    > with Linux. Enjoy it. But don’t assert that it’s a serious competitor for
    > Vista.

    It's not a competitor to Vista. There is NO competition. Vista is a POS.
    Period. Anything could compete with that toy operating system and win. Even
    an Etch-A-Sketch.

    Cheers.

    --

    A US president declared war on poverty. Poverty won.
    Another US president declared a war on drugs. Drugs won.

  10. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:59:09 -0400, Bob Campbell wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Read the forums.

    >> Read the Windows related forums.

    > All software is riddled with bugs. That's why these forums exist.
    >
    >>> From what 0.6 percent to 0.8 percent over at least 10 years? That's
    >>> hardly anything to brag about.

    >> That's a pretty big gain when you consider the lack of advertising, and
    >> the herd mentality and network effects that must be fought.

    > It's not a gain at all. It's within the margin of error. Linux has
    > gone nowhere in 10 years.
    >
    > If Linux were any good, the "herd mentality" would be herding to it,

    No, just the opposite. People want what everyone else uses.

    > instead of Windows, what with all the purported Windows problems. But
    > no one is herding to Linux, which indicates the vast majority of people
    > perceive Windows as less problematic than Linux.

    Most people don't even know what Linux is.

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    In article ,
    "DFS" wrote:
    > "If Ubuntu doesn't solve this problem and solve it fast it will lose me and
    > millions of others."
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=46

    I think most people would be a lot happier if they stuck to the LTS
    releases of Ubuntu, at least on the computers they need to seriously use.

    I've also noticed that many of the people with problems that you've
    linked to are running 64-bit systems, but don't seem to be doing
    anything that actually *needs* 64-bits. They would probably be better
    off running 32-bit, which is more extensively tested, and often uses
    less resources.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  12. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:34:36 -0700, Dick Hurtz wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message

    >>> Read the forums.

    >> Read the Windows related forums.

    >>> From what 0.6 percent to 0.8 percent over at least 10 years? That's
    >>> hardly anything to brag about.

    >> That's a pretty big gain when you consider the lack of advertising, and
    >> the herd mentality and network effects that must be fought.
    >>

    > No, it’s a joke. Linux will never be anything more than a hobby OS for
    > geeks.

    Or the OS that run the computers in the offices in the City of Largo, FL,
    or the OS that runs many (most?) of the top 500 hundred supercompters.

    > And a server OS in the back room.

    As a desktop OS being used in Hollywood...

    > Every year since 1997 has been
    > the "year of Linux on the desktop." Its never going to happen. Have fun
    > with Linux. Enjoy it. But don’t assert that it’s a serious competitor
    > for Vista.

    I haven't asserted it is a serious contender for Vista.

    --
    Rick

  13. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 14:50:05 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "If Ubuntu doesn't solve this problem and solve it fast it will lose me
    >> and
    >> millions of others."
    >>
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=46

    > It wouldn't surprise me at all.

    Unbuntu developers are the best, they fix real issues fast.

    > The problem with being the most popular Linux distribution is that now
    > it's
    > time to pony up and deliver because the people are ready and waiting.

    BTW, RedHat is the most popular. But Ubuntu is growing at a rampant pace,
    and any time this might just be right.

  14. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    "Dick Hurtz" wrote in message
    news:us6dnTbwQpAArG3anZ2dnUVZ_hisnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

    > "Rick" wrote in message

    >>> Read the forums.

    >> Read the Windows related forums.

    >>> From what 0.6 percent to 0.8 percent over at least 10 years? That's
    >>> hardly anything to brag about.

    >> That's a pretty big gain when you consider the lack of advertising, and
    >> the herd mentality and network effects that must be fought.
    >>

    > No, it's a joke. Linux will never be anything more than a hobby OS for
    > geeks. And a server OS in the back room. Every year since 1997 has been
    > the "year of Linux on the desktop." Its never going to happen. Have fun
    > with Linux. Enjoy it. But don't assert that it's a serious competitor for
    > Vista.

    Of the top 500 super computers in the world, 380 some odd run Linux. Of
    those that remain, all but 6 run some form of UNIX. Only 6 run Windows. All
    are at the bottom of the list in performance but near the top of the list in
    performance. It is a market OWNED by Linux. Power computing is Linux
    because it has the features, the programming tools and clustering. A front
    that Microsoft never even had. The battle is exclusive of Linux and UNIX.

    That being said, it is the extortion might of Microsoft that holds Linux
    back. But Linux has more staying power and like the turtle in the race with
    the hare, slow but surely, Linux will smack MS hard given nothing but time.
    It is already growing in the I/T data center...go figure.

    Thing about next time you google, the biggest integrated network of
    computers in the world, all running Linux. As is Akami, a Microsoft service
    provider.

  15. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    "NoStop" wrote in message
    > Dick Hurtz wrote:
    >

    >> "Rick" wrote in message

    >>> Read the Windows related forums.

    >>> That's a pretty big gain when you consider the lack of advertising, and
    >>> the herd mentality and network effects that must be fought.
    >>>

    >> No, it's a joke. Linux will never be anything more than a hobby OS for
    >> geeks. And a server OS in the back room. Every year since 1997 has been
    >> the "year of Linux on the desktop." Its never going to happen. Have fun
    >> with Linux. Enjoy it. But don't assert that it's a serious competitor for
    >> Vista.

    > It's not a competitor to Vista. There is NO competition. Vista is a POS.
    > Period. Anything could compete with that toy operating system and win.
    > Even
    > an Etch-A-Sketch.

    Vista is better than Etch-A-Sketch, but not by much. The thing made a mess
    when they broke.

  16. Re: Microshaft Software: slopware about to chase off millions of users to Linux

    Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Linux uptake in /this/ neighbourhood (of roughly 120 dwellings)?
    > 88%! The rest are almost entirely Macs, with just /one/ Windoze XP
    > machine used by a kid who plays games. This is just an ordinary
    > (albeit "upmarket") North London suburb...

    Must be a little make-believe town you built for your toy trains to run
    through.

    choo-choo! Make way for the Linux Express!

  17. Re: Microshaft Software: slopware about to chase off millions of users to Linux

    NoStop writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Christopher Hunter writes:

    >>> A load of nonsense that's better off snipped!

    >>> Exactly!

    >>> It's funny how desperate M$ are becoming - their plans for world
    >>> domination
    >>> in tatters, their share price (in real, global terms) falling. They're
    >>> even stuck in the USA, which is in a dire state and will only get worse
    >>> as the rest of the world start charging the yanks /real/ fuel prices...
    >>>
    >>> M$ are having to resort to bogus surveys and bull**** statistics in an
    >>> effort to make them appear a "success". The escape into the wild
    >>> of "Vista" made them look /really/ stupid, and they've even admitted
    >>> their incompetence by bringing forward the release of Windoze 7 and
    >>> /buying/ in all the major OS components because they no longer employ
    >>> proper programmers...
    >>>
    >>> Linux uptake in /this/ neighbourhood (of roughly 120 dwellings)? 88%!
    >>> The rest are almost entirely Macs, with just /one/ Windoze XP machine
    >>> used by a
    >>> kid who plays games. This is just an ordinary (albeit "upmarket") North
    >>> London suburb...
    >>>
    >>> C.
    >>>

    >> You are a liar. Pure and simple. Nothing you say can be believed.
    >>

    > Takes one to know one and YOU are one of the biggest bull****ters around
    > here. Why don't you just go back to using Windoze and play your games and
    > forget about filling up the Ubuntu NG with your bull****?
    >
    > Cheers.

    Links to my lies please NoBrain.

    You're problem is that you're such a sad little fan boy whose so full of
    himself for learning "ls" and how to get an ATI driver installed that
    you think you're some kind of uber hero. You're not. You're just a silly
    little boy who has lost track of reality where real people in real
    workplaces are concerned.

    If you think Chunts claims are at all true then you really have lost the
    plot.

    Reread his post. He is deranged and obviously another "reverse troll"
    designed to make Linux users look like they're so desperate they will
    make up any old lies.

    --
    I can usually supress the feelings that tell me to crash
    tackle a girl into the bushes

  18. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    "Canuck57" writes:

    > "Dick Hurtz" wrote in message
    > news:us6dnTbwQpAArG3anZ2dnUVZ_hisnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >>

    >> "Rick" wrote in message

    >>> Read the Windows related forums.

    >>> That's a pretty big gain when you consider the lack of advertising, and
    >>> the herd mentality and network effects that must be fought.
    >>>

    >> No, it's a joke. Linux will never be anything more than a hobby OS for
    >> geeks. And a server OS in the back room. Every year since 1997 has been
    >> the "year of Linux on the desktop." Its never going to happen. Have fun
    >> with Linux. Enjoy it. But don't assert that it's a serious competitor for
    >> Vista.

    > Of the top 500 super computers in the world, 380 some odd run Linux.
    > Of

    So usage += 380.

    Whoopee doo. And how much do they contribute back to the OSS
    repositories I wonder?

  19. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    Tim Smith writes:

    > In article ,
    > "DFS" wrote:
    >> "If Ubuntu doesn't solve this problem and solve it fast it will lose me and
    >> millions of others."
    >>
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=46

    > I think most people would be a lot happier if they stuck to the LTS
    > releases of Ubuntu, at least on the computers they need to seriously use.
    >
    > I've also noticed that many of the people with problems that you've
    > linked to are running 64-bit systems, but don't seem to be doing
    > anything that actually *needs* 64-bits. They would probably be better
    > off running 32-bit, which is more extensively tested, and often uses
    > less resources.

    Last time I tested 64 bit it was lousy. PK maintained it worked
    perfectly. It did not.

    --
    I've always wanted to have a web site with a big picture of a carrot on it

  20. Re: Linux: slopware about to chase off millions of users

    Dick Hurtz wrote:

    > You're right - Vista has no real competition. 100 + million licenses so
    > far, with more every day. Vista dominates the computing world.
    >
    > A few thousand lefties who are too cheap to buy real software run Linux.

    100 plus million licenses, but how many people are actually running the ****
    and haven't already upgraded to XP or Linux. Micro$haft considers it a sold
    license if it shipped -- not if it's actually used or even sold. And can
    you name a few corporations that have actually committed to running
    Vista-ME?

    Yeah, that's what I thought.

    It's a failure, despite Micro$haft's monopoly status.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"