[News] Third-party Contributor to Driver Bullied by Creative - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Third-party Contributor to Driver Bullied by Creative - Linux ; Creative Labs : Product Boards : Sound Blaster : Message to Daniel_K ,----[ Quote ] | [...] | | To be clear, we are asking you to respect our legal rights in this matter and | cease all further unauthorized ...

  1. [News] Third-party Contributor to Driver Bullied by Creative

    Creative Labs : Product Boards : Sound Blaster : Message to Daniel_K

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | [...]
    |
    | To be clear, we are asking you to respect our legal rights in this matter and
    | cease all further unauthorized distribution of our technology and IP. In
    | addition we request that you observe our forum rules and respect our right to
    | enforce those rules. If you are in any doubt as to what we would consider
    | unacceptable then please request clarification through one of our forum
    | moderators before posting.
    |
    | Phil O'Shaughnessy
    | VP Corporate Communications
    | Creative Labs Inc.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | My god, you guys got some balls on you, either that or you'r all bordeline
    | mad.
    |
    | He offered a service you guys cant/wont, and in so madde a lot og YOUR
    | customers happy about their product again.
    |
    | Now you wanna whipe him out and keep him silent by threatning about legal
    | actions.
    |
    | This is a beyond retarded, shame on you, shame on you.
    `----

    http://forums.creative.com/creativel...cending&page=1

    The 'freedom' to help creative fix their broken drivers and the 'right' the
    remain silent.

    Bless free software, curse proprietary tyranny.

    Related:

    Creative Joining The Open Bandwagon

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's official, Creative Labs is joining the open specification/code bandwagon
    | for the X-Fi series. Earlier this week we shared that through the Open Sound
    | System there is now open-source support for the Sound Blaster X-Fi.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjMyMw

    Why Vista sounds worse

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Changes to how the latest version of Windows handles audio playback has
    | caused unexpected quality issues for musicians and consumers alike, reports
    | Tim Anderson
    `----

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...oft.technology

    Audio in Linux is awesome

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I can’t wait for PulseAudio. I’m sure that will make all of this even easier.
    `----

    http://darkness.codefu.org/wordpress/2007/12/15/292

  2. Re: [News] Third-party Contributor to Driver Bullied by Creative

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Creative Labs : Product Boards : Sound Blaster : Message to Daniel_K

    I was so affected by this unbelievably ridiculous development, that I
    wrote a lengthy blog post about it:

    So it seems that Creative Labs would rather uphold the principles of
    oppression, than allow their customers access to working drivers for
    their products. It would also appear that the lack of any official
    working drivers for these products is not only due to incompetence, but
    may also be a matter of policy ... some kind of underhand strategy (if
    so, then it seems rather nonsensical. Surely Creative would want fully
    functional drivers for Vista).

    But who can fathom the bizarre logic of this sick breed known as
    Intellectual Monopolists?

    And make no mistake, it certainly is a disease, that clouds the senses
    and poisons the mind, convincing the protagonists that the intangible
    ether of ideas must be claimed, like a pack of rabid gold prospectors
    rushing murderously towards the glint of gold in a rock face. But ideas
    are not lumps of rocks to be carried off and guarded by some crazed;
    toothless pioneers bearing flintlocks. An idea is like the scent of
    roses in the air; once released it cannot (and should not) be
    suppressed. The Intellectual Monopolists have this twisted notion that
    they should have the right to control who is allowed to perceive
    reality. Ideas cannot be undone; they cannot be unmade; and they cannot
    be owned. It's a ridiculous notion.
    http://slated.org/intellectual_insanity

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    03:46:20 up 101 days, 22 min, 4 users, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00

  3. Re: [News] Third-party Contributor to Driver Bullied by Creative

    ____/ [H]omer on Monday 31 March 2008 03:46 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Creative Labs : Product Boards : Sound Blaster : Message to Daniel_K

    > I was so affected by this unbelievably ridiculous development, that I
    > wrote a lengthy blog post about it:
    >

    > So it seems that Creative Labs would rather uphold the principles of
    > oppression, than allow their customers access to working drivers for
    > their products. It would also appear that the lack of any official
    > working drivers for these products is not only due to incompetence, but
    > may also be a matter of policy ... some kind of underhand strategy (if
    > so, then it seems rather nonsensical. Surely Creative would want fully
    > functional drivers for Vista).
    >
    > But who can fathom the bizarre logic of this sick breed known as
    > Intellectual Monopolists?
    >
    > And make no mistake, it certainly is a disease, that clouds the senses
    > and poisons the mind, convincing the protagonists that the intangible
    > ether of ideas must be claimed, like a pack of rabid gold prospectors
    > rushing murderously towards the glint of gold in a rock face. But ideas
    > are not lumps of rocks to be carried off and guarded by some crazed;
    > toothless pioneers bearing flintlocks. An idea is like the scent of
    > roses in the air; once released it cannot (and should not) be
    > suppressed. The Intellectual Monopolists have this twisted notion that
    > they should have the right to control who is allowed to perceive
    > reality. Ideas cannot be undone; they cannot be unmade; and they cannot
    > be owned. It's a ridiculous notion.
    >

    > http://slated.org/intellectual_insanity

    I like this part:

    "In many ways, the human mind is like a computer ... it processes information
    and stores data. Are the memories we have of music; films and books in
    violation of copyright, because they are stored like computer files in our
    minds? Should we be legally prohibited from discussing this "content", for
    fear of being accused of illegally "distributing" copyrighted material?"

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Microsoft loves competition.
    "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to
    everything it touches."
    --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO

  4. Re: [News] Third-party Contributor to Driver Bullied by Creative

    ____/ Roy Schestowitz on Sunday 30 March 2008 18:13 : \____

    > Creative Labs : Product Boards : Sound Blaster : Message to Daniel_K
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | To be clear, we are asking you to respect our legal rights in this matter
    > | and
    > | cease all further unauthorized distribution of our technology and IP. In
    > | addition we request that you observe our forum rules and respect our right
    > | enforce those rules. If you are in any doubt as to what we would consider
    > | unacceptable then please request clarification through one of our forum
    > | moderators before posting.
    > |
    > | Phil O'Shaughnessy
    > | VP Corporate Communications
    > | Creative Labs Inc.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | My god, you guys got some balls on you, either that or you'r all bordeline
    > | mad.
    > |
    > | He offered a service you guys cant/wont, and in so madde a lot og YOUR
    > | customers happy about their product again.
    > |
    > | Now you wanna whipe him out and keep him silent by threatning about legal
    > | actions.
    > |
    > | This is a beyond retarded, shame on you, shame on you.
    > `----

    http://forums.creative.com/creativel...cending&page=1

    Hmmm... Sony for the hall of shame also?

    Watch Sony go...

    O Hypocrisy, Thy Name is Sony

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | [PointDev, a French software publisher, is taking the record company to court
    | for having used one of its administration tools, Ideal Migration, without a
    | licence.]
    `----

    http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...e-is-sony.html

    Sony sued for nicking software

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...cking-software

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | INQredible Hacktivism
    12:05:01 up 11 days, 23:14, 5 users, load average: 1.32, 1.26, 1.31

  5. Re: [News] Third-party Contributor to Driver Bullied by Creative

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:36:41 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> http://slated.org/intellectual_insanity

    > I like this part:
    >
    > "In many ways, the human mind is like a computer ... it processes information
    > and stores data. Are the memories we have of music; films and books in
    > violation of copyright, because they are stored like computer files in our
    > minds? Should we be legally prohibited from discussing this "content", for
    > fear of being accused of illegally "distributing" copyrighted material?"

    Ironically, home rails against copyright, and feels it shouldn't exist.

    Funny thing is, without copyright, free software would not exist either.
    Free software depends on copyright to enforce it's distribution clauses.

    Homer is clearly not even aware enough of what copyright is to undertand
    that.

+ Reply to Thread