anti-virus manager - Linux

This is a discussion on anti-virus manager - Linux ; Hi all We are moving our server platform from windows to Linux and our current anti-virus manager software will only run on windows. We have windows XP computers for clients. I am looking for an anti-virus application that the management ...

  1. anti-virus manager

    Hi all
    We are moving our server platform from windows to Linux and our current
    anti-virus manager software will only run on windows.
    We have windows XP computers for clients.

    I am looking for an anti-virus application that the management console will
    run under Linux,and distribute the signature updates, to windows clients

    any ideas?

  2. Re: anti-virus manager

    s gallaghan wrote:

    > Hi all
    > We are moving our server platform from windows to Linux and our current
    > anti-virus manager software will only run on windows.
    > We have windows XP computers for clients.
    >
    > I am looking for an anti-virus application that the management console
    > will run under Linux,and distribute the signature updates, to windows
    > clients
    >
    > any ideas?

    None, other than dump the windows clients too. On the other hand, what do
    you use now to distribute the updates?

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: anti-virus manager

    s gallaghan wrote:
    > Hi all
    > We are moving our server platform from windows to Linux and our current
    > anti-virus manager software will only run on windows.
    > We have windows XP computers for clients.
    >
    > I am looking for an anti-virus application that the management console will
    > run under Linux,and distribute the signature updates, to windows clients
    >
    > any ideas?

    That setup is probably not going to work.
    You can try running the windows management thingy under wine (generally
    not advised in a corporate net, since wine is not exactly the most
    stable piece of software available).

    Can't the clients update themselves?

    I think CLAMAV is available under windows, but I guess that breaks more
    than it fixes (no seamless integration in windows, etc).

    Perhaps you can specifiy a new update location in your clients? Then you
    could have the clients connect to an internal webserver to fetch updates.

    -R-

  4. Re: anti-virus manager

    s gallaghan wrote:

    > Hi all
    > We are moving our server platform from windows to Linux and our current
    > anti-virus manager software will only run on windows.
    > We have windows XP computers for clients.
    >
    > I am looking for an anti-virus application that the management console
    > will run under Linux,and distribute the signature updates, to windows
    > clients

    You may script a solution with smbclient or smbmount (the administrative c$
    share) of your clients, and push the definitions. It will need a client
    which updates from the av site first, then redistribute, maybe by logon
    script.

    Linux 2.6.24. [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

+ Reply to Thread