Vimicro introduces Linux-based open mobile platform, two new mobile multimedia
processors

,----[ Quote ]
| The Vinno-III-Linux platform is based on Vimicro's newly launched Vinno-III
| application processor that runs on the open source Linux OS. Along with
| multimedia processing capabilities enabled by Vimicro chips, the platform
| also integrates useful applications such as office file reader, WAP and MMS.
| When adopted for basic mobile phones, Vimicro's new Mobile Multimedia
| Processors let user enjoy more flexible use of audio, video, camera and data
| management functions.
`----

http://www.telecom.globalsources.com...0000095789.htm

Related:

OpenMoko to Commercialize Open-source Hardware Mobile Phone

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko (run by Openmoko Inc of Taiwan, a subsidiary of First International
| Computer Inc of Taiwan) is a developer of mobile phones using open-source
| hardware and software. OpenMoko developed OpenMoko Linux and Neo, which are
| open-source software platform and hardware for mobile phones. OpenMoko Linux
| uses Linux as its OS kernel and employs X11 and GTK as its window systems. * *
`----

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...080310/148761/

OpenMoko CC Licenses CAD Files for Neo1973

,----[ Quote ]
| In doing so, OpenMoko not only allow industrial designers a peek inside the
| Neo1973 to see how it works, but also show a keen understanding of the power
| community efforts can have in creating a better end-user experience. *
`----

Linux goes walkabout

,----[ Quote ]
| Aside from its efforts to free users from telcos, the Neo’s other features
| include an accelerometer, which will protect the data when it senses the
| handset is in free-fall (it’s the thing that car airbags use), and a
| touch-screen interface. *
`----

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/WBcyberia

As Early Android Domino, OpenMoko Brings Open Source to Industrial Design

,----[ Quote ]
| When people think open source, they usually think of software. Linux-based
| operating systems such as Ubuntu (for PCs) and Android (for mobile phones)
| give code tinkerers free license (literally) to create and collaborate on new
| software projects that are usually released for free and benefit the entire
| community of users. OpenMoko, the Taiwanese manufacturer of the
| as-yet-unreleased, Linux-based touchscreen Neo 1973 cellphone (it’s expected
| to come to market mid-April for around $399), released its source code in
| February of 2007, allowing anyone in the community to add to the OS. * * *
`----

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4253095.html

Linux phone mechanicals published

,----[ Quote ]
| Mobile phone design company Openmoko has posted industrial design source CAD
| files for its Linux-based, open source Neo 1973 phone (pictured at left).
| Openmoko has also committed to providing open source access to the
| mechanicals for its upcoming Neo Freerunner phone design. *
`----

The Enlightened future of OpenMoko Linux mobile phones

,----[ Quote ]
| I met lead Enlightenment developer Carsten Haitzler in the exhibition hall at
| the Southern California Linux Expo (SCALE) this past weekend. Carsten told me
| about prospects for the future of Enlightenment and shared with me some
| details about his work at OpenMoko, a division of FIC which is developing *
| Linux-based open-source mobile phone handsets. He sees a big future for Linux
| in the mobile and embedded space and notes that Enlightenment, with its small
| memory footprint, is ideal for deployment on such devices. * *
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...le-phones.html

Enlightenment Desktop UI running on the Neo1973

,----[ Quote ]
| Another UI video has surfaced showing E17 enlightenment running the the
| Neo1973.
`----

http://mobilemoko.net/2007/enlighten...n-the-neo1973/

OpenMoko Developer Preview Sold Out After Unexpected Demand

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko, the first Open Source cell phone, has sold out the entire planned
| production run for the device's developer preview after unexpected demand.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/8/6/24279

iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
| project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
| are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
| framework to go with it. *
`----

http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_ma...phone_movement

OpenMoko prepping to push sales of Linux-based handset

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko, a Linux-based open source handset platform developer, is pushing
| the development of Linux-based smartphone with its open source handset, the
| Neo 1973, which may be available to the mass-market in the second half of
| 2008, according to company sources. *
`----

http://www.digitimes.com/telecom/a20071116PD213.html

Android vs. OpenMoko: Who Will Win?