Phoenix, CyberLink Team on Virtual Media Player

,----[ Quote ]
| Phoenix Technologies , which developed the HyperSpace parallel OS platform
| earlier this year, has partnered with CyberLink to develop a version of the
| company's DVD player that exists alongside Windows.
`----

More for context at the bottom. Sun does hypervisors also, but like Microsoft,
it's still catching up..

Sun's xVM virtualization wares run red with catch-up

,----[ Quote ]
| Topping everything off, Sun has only just started working with VMware in a
| meaningful way, leaving it well behind the other major server makers.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...xvm_opscenter/

Recent:

This is why I’ll always remain a Microsoft skeptic

,----[ Quote ]
| But the real reason for Microsoft’s capitulation became clear on March 7 via
| a new joint-status report in the Microsoft-Department of Justice case. It
| turns out BIOS maker Phoenix Technologies (a long-time Microsoft partner)
| filed a complaint with antitrust regulators about Microsoft’s virtualization
| restrictions. * *
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1256

Related:

New Phoenix BIOS will run Linux apps when Windows fails

,----[ Quote ]
| The basic concept is that an embedded Linux OS will accompany the core system
| firmware or BIOS, allowing instant-on applications to be run from it at any
| time. *
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/New_...ils/1202928412

Phoenix HyperSpace: Quick-Boot Your Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Phoenix Technologies' new HyperSpace is an instant-on environment for
| laptops, letting users launch a browser or other apps with booting into the
| OS. *
|
| Today, Phoenix Technologies introduced a firmware product called HyperSpace,
| which allows PCs to run a number of applications separate from the operating
| system. What that means is that if you use a PC equipped with HyperSpace, you
| will be able to quick-boot your notebook into a secure Linux environment,
| where you can use Web browsers like FireFox and pre-loaded Web-aware apps
| like Google Earth, Picasa, and the like. * *
|
| [...]
|
| Also, since HyperSpace is a Linux-based platform, Windows viruses won't
| affect it.
`----

Microsoft nonchalant about Phoenix assault on Windows

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top
http://tinyurl.com/3depfj