Linux: Jeffrey Dahmer would have loved it - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: Jeffrey Dahmer would have loved it - Linux ; "Something is eating all of my memory, then killing my computer." http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=33...

  1. Linux: Jeffrey Dahmer would have loved it

    "Something is eating all of my memory, then killing my computer."

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=33

  2. Re: Linux: Jeffrey Dahmer would have loved it

    DFS wrote:

    > "Something is eating all of my memory, then killing my computer."
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=33

    In the same article, the OP comes the conclusion that the problem is due to
    closed-source proprietary drivers, and other posters come to the same
    conclusion - that a restricted, closed-source element of their setup is
    causing the problem, whereas the recommended open-source version does not.

    If your purpose, if indeed you have one other than flapping your electonic
    mouth, is to show open source software in a poor light, then as usual
    you've shot yourself in the foot.

    Rather than waste time on here, you could *usefully* spend it exercising
    your coding skills which, if your carefully selected posted samples are
    anything to go by, are in sore need of improvement.

  3. Re: Linux: Jeffrey Dahmer would have loved it

    Sean Inglis wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "Something is eating all of my memory, then killing my computer."
    >>
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=33

    > In the same article, the OP comes the conclusion that the problem is
    > due to closed-source proprietary drivers, and other posters come to
    > the same conclusion - that a restricted, closed-source element of
    > their setup is causing the problem, whereas the recommended
    > open-source version does not.

    Good boy! That's a good advocate! [patting head] Blame the problem on
    everything but the glitchy "operating system."

    When you read through those complaints you can hear how desperate they are
    to blame anything but Linux. It's pathetic.

    > If your purpose, if indeed you have one other than flapping your
    > electonic mouth, is to show open source software in a poor light,
    > then as usual you've shot yourself in the foot.

    I understand that 63 pages of complaints, in just five months, about Linux
    freezing up doesn't bother you cola wacks. You have no shame - or you
    wouldn't be running Linux in the first place.

    > Rather than waste time on here, you could *usefully* spend it
    > exercising your coding skills which, if your carefully selected
    > posted samples are anything to go by, are in sore need of improvement.

    What you call "improvement" is just your way of doing things. So no thanks,
    I'll pass on your offer to "improve" what's virtually bug-free already, and
    runs fast and stable.

  4. Re: Linux: Jeffrey Dahmer would have loved it

    DFS wrote:

    > Sean Inglis wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Something is eating all of my memory, then killing my computer."
    >>>
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=33

    >> In the same article, the OP comes the conclusion that the problem is
    >> due to closed-source proprietary drivers, and other posters come to
    >> the same conclusion - that a restricted, closed-source element of
    >> their setup is causing the problem, whereas the recommended
    >> open-source version does not.

    > Good boy! That's a good advocate! [patting head] Blame the problem on
    > everything but the glitchy "operating system."

    If your experience was slightly wider than the rather restricted set of
    tools you're comfortable with, you might be able to draw a distinction
    between the "operating system" and the rest of the world.

    > When you read through those complaints you can hear how desperate they are
    > to blame anything but Linux. It's pathetic.

    The problem is with 3rd party non-open source drivers, as acknowledged by
    the original poster.

    In which way is the failure of closed-source drivers in comparison to the
    success of open-source drivers directly reported in this case *not*
    advocacy for open source?

    >> If your purpose, if indeed you have one other than flapping your
    >> electonic mouth, is to show open source software in a poor light,
    >> then as usual you've shot yourself in the foot.

    > I understand that 63 pages of complaints, in just five months, about Linux
    > freezing up doesn't bother you cola wacks. You have no shame - or you
    > wouldn't be running Linux in the first place.

    Hmmm. No. 63 pages of discussion does not equal 63 pages of complaints. But
    it's up to your usual level of accuracy.

    >> Rather than waste time on here, you could *usefully* spend it
    >> exercising your coding skills which, if your carefully selected
    >> posted samples are anything to go by, are in sore need of improvement.

    > What you call "improvement" is just your way of doing things. So no
    > thanks, I'll pass on your offer to "improve" what's virtually bug-free
    > already, and runs fast and stable.

    Oh well. "Fast" and "stable" are relative terms. When I hear a system
    described in that way and it is developed using MS tools for an MS
    environment, I adjust my expectations accordingly.

    I expect your customers do likewise - and that they won't want to change OS,
    and / or mix case for their filenames.

  5. Re: Linux: Jeffrey Dahmer would have loved it

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:53:11 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > I understand that 63 pages of complaints, in just five months, about
    > Linux freezing up doesn't bother you cola wacks.

    Oh, look, yet another DFS lie. Only a small percentage of those posts
    are complaints; the majority are suggestions for troubleshooting and
    solving the problem, plus the usual array of tangential discussions.

    Incidentally, one of the major causes of random lockups under Linux is
    bad ACPI info provided by faulty DSDT's compiled by Microsoft's ASL
    compiler. A more detailed description of the problem, along with a
    general procedure for fixing it, can be found here:

    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Fix_Common_ACPI_Problems

    "The ACPI Specification defines the requirements for the DSDT (and
    everything else, for that matter) pretty explicitly. Intel's ASL
    compiler, iasl, used to compile the DSDT to AML from ASL, will throw
    errors and warnings if the underlying ASL is buggy. Unfortunately,
    Microsoft's ASL compiler allows many of these errors and warnings to
    sneak by. As a result, many OEMs write buggy DSDTs, and it turns out
    that Windows is very forgiving of bugs in the DSDT that get by
    Microsoft's compiler (not surprisingly)."

    "What this means is that a DSDT that does not conform to the ACPI
    specification will work under Windows, even though it
    shouldn't. However, when you try to use it in Linux, where the ACPI
    developers expect that the DSDT is written to comply with the standard
    (and the Intel ASL compiler), the buggy sections of the DSDT are
    unsupported. If you have a buggy DSDT, ACPI may not be aware that
    certain devices exist. Or, if it is aware, it may not support all of
    their capabilites. If you have either of these symptoms (missing or
    incompletely supported functionality in /proc/acpi), then the cause may
    be a buggy DSDT."

    Nearly every random-lockup problem that I've been able to trace on Linux
    systems was found to be due either to faulty hardware or to a faulty
    DSDT that was fixed by decompiling, fixing, and recompiling the code as
    outlined on the above-mentioned webpage. The latter was caused not by
    bad Linux programming, but by vendors' errors that "slipped through"
    Microsoft's ASL compiler - whose faulty output Microsoft "just happens"
    to ignore in their own code. Not that I'm accusing them of anything. No,
    I'm sure it's just a coincidence, just like all the other coincidences
    that unintentionally cripple competitors and make it appear to be their
    own fault...

    There is an effort to replace the faulty DSDT's with working ones, and
    other groups are working on bypassing the DSDT the way Windows does, so
    some distro's or releases might have problems where others don't. Also,
    updates with new features that utilize some previously-unused section of
    the DSDT that contains an error can cause random lockups or other odd
    symptoms where they didn't exist in earlier versions.

  6. Re: Linux: Jeffrey Dahmer would have loved it

    El Tux wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:53:11 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> I understand that 63 pages of complaints, in just five months, about
    >> Linux freezing up doesn't bother you cola wacks.

    > Oh, look, yet another DFS lie. Only a small percentage of those posts
    > are complaints;

    Liar. Pick any of the pages at random and you'll usually see multiple new
    posters reporting freeze/hang/crash problems.

    > the majority are suggestions for troubleshooting and
    > solving the problem, plus the usual array of tangential discussions.

    The majority are complaints about Linux freezing, locking up, kernel
    panicking, ruining their computing experience, causing them to rant in
    anger, begging for help from unresponsive Linux developers, reporting
    petabytes of memory being used, forced reinstalls, forced reboots, wasting
    days of time, being forced back to XP to get a usable system, getting a few
    minutes of uptime, blaming ATI, blaming nVidia, blaming the hardware, and
    just generally staring in disbelief at the bull**** "operating system" they
    heard was perfect.

    > Incidentally, one of the major causes of random lockups under Linux is
    > bad ACPI info provided by faulty DSDT's compiled by Microsoft's ASL
    > compiler.

    You're not a bad "Linux advocate", El Tux:

    * minimize the crapware problems
    * try and blame it on Microsoft

+ Reply to Thread