[News] CBC Experiments with Free Culture and Torrents While Big Media Kills the Medium - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] CBC Experiments with Free Culture and Torrents While Big Media Kills the Medium - Linux ; “Net neutrality” debate heats up in Canada ,----[ Quote ] | Last week the Canadian public media service, CBC (the Canadian Broadcasting | Corporation) became the first major North American broadcaster to distribute | a DRM-free download of a primetime ...

  1. [News] CBC Experiments with Free Culture and Torrents While Big Media Kills the Medium

    “Net neutrality” debate heats up in Canada

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Last week the Canadian public media service, CBC (the Canadian Broadcasting
    | Corporation) became the first major North American broadcaster to distribute
    | a DRM-free download of a primetime television show via BitTorrent. The
    | download was not only DRM free, it didn’t contain any commercials or license
    | based copy restrictions. In fact the CBC website proclaimed “You are free to
    | download, share and burn this video”. This is how I like my media served.
    `----

    http://ostatic.com/158758-blog/net-n...s-up-in-canada

    Beleaguered BitTorrent search engine shuts down

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | TorrentSpy has spent the past two years and hundreds of thousands of
    | dollars "defending the rights of our users and ourselves" in a legal climate
    | that was "hostile" to torrent files, according to the note, which is
    | attributed to the TorrentSpy team.
    `----

    Yesterday:

    BitTorrent president: Comcast agreement is a 'win'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "We're not going to be the ones who hire lobbyists, we'll leave that to the
    | ones at Google and Microsoft," Navin said.
    `----

    Related:

    Comcast Isn’t Net Neutral; Are They Liars, Too?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Following reports that Comcast isn’t net neutral, Consumerist blog has
    | acquired several leaks from Comcast insiders, claiming that they do indeed
    | use Sandvine for packet shaping, and that customer service representatives
    | are being told nothing about how the network technology works,
    `----

    http://mashable.com/2007/10/26/comca...hey-liars-too/

    Comcast, Microsoft team up to serve smaller firms

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft's move to offer the online software suite appears designed to
    | compete with a similar offering from rival Google Inc (GOOG.O: Quote,
    | Profile, Research) known as Google Apps. *
    `----

    http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0071114?rpc=44

    BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sk0t, an ex-administrator of the EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker is to have
    | his internet connection forcibly monitored by the US Government. If that
    | wasn’t bad enough, the monitoring software is Windows based - which means he
    | is being forced to ditch Linux - or face being barred from the internet.
    `----

    http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-a...to-dump-linux/

  2. Re: [News] CBC Experiments with Free Culture and Torrents While Big Media Kills the Medium

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ?Net neutrality? debate heats up in Canada
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Last week the Canadian public media service, CBC (the Canadian Broadcasting
    >| Corporation) became the first major North American broadcaster to distribute
    >| a DRM-free download of a primetime television show via BitTorrent. The
    >| download was not only DRM free, it didn?t contain any commercials or license
    >| based copy restrictions. In fact the CBC website proclaimed ?You are free to
    >| download, share and burn this video?. This is how I like my media served.
    > `----
    >
    > http://ostatic.com/158758-blog/net-n...s-up-in-canada

    Excellent, someone is finally taking a moral stand! Let's see more of
    this.

    > Beleaguered BitTorrent search engine shuts down
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| TorrentSpy has spent the past two years and hundreds of thousands of
    >| dollars "defending the rights of our users and ourselves" in a legal climate
    >| that was "hostile" to torrent files, according to the note, which is
    >| attributed to the TorrentSpy team.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...693246&rid=-50

    One has to wonder if it should really be legal for rich interests to
    harrass smaller ones into submission.

  3. Re: [News] CBC Experiments with Free Culture and Torrents While Big Media Kills the Medium

    ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 29 March 2008 18:48 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ?Net neutrality? debate heats up in Canada
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Last week the Canadian public media service, CBC (the Canadian Broadcasting
    >>| Corporation) became the first major North American broadcaster to
    >>| distribute a DRM-free download of a primetime television show via
    >>| BitTorrent. The download was not only DRM free, it didn?t contain any
    >>| commercials or license based copy restrictions. In fact the CBC website
    >>| proclaimed ?You are free to download, share and burn this video?. This is
    >>| how I like my media served.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://ostatic.com/158758-blog/net-n...s-up-in-canada

    > Excellent, someone is finally taking a moral stand! Let's see more of
    > this.
    >

    >> Beleaguered BitTorrent search engine shuts down
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| TorrentSpy has spent the past two years and hundreds of thousands of
    >>| dollars "defending the rights of our users and ourselves" in a legal
    >>| climate that was "hostile" to torrent files, according to the note, which
    >>| is attributed to the TorrentSpy team.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...693246&rid=-50
    >>

    > One has to wonder if it should really be legal for rich interests to
    > harrass smaller ones into submission.

    The problem here is the generalisation. And it's just the beginning. It's a
    tipping point for abuse and control (precedence in a sense).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "If you can’t make it good, at least make it look good."
    --Bill Gates, Microsoft
    05:05:01 up 10 days, 16:14, 5 users, load average: 1.29, 1.66, 1.57

  4. Re: [News] CBC Experiments with Free Culture and Torrents While Big Media Kills the Medium

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 29 March 2008 18:48 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> ?Net neutrality? debate heats up in Canada
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://ostatic.com/158758-blog/net-n...s-up-in-canada

    >> Excellent, someone is finally taking a moral stand! Let's see more of
    >> this.
    >>

    >>> Beleaguered BitTorrent search engine shuts down
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...693246&rid=-50
    >>>

    >> One has to wonder if it should really be legal for rich interests to
    >> harrass smaller ones into submission.

    > The problem here is the generalisation. And it's just the beginning. It's a
    > tipping point for abuse and control (precedence in a sense).

    There are some other philosophical issues, though. Large businesses
    have a perfect right to exist, indeed, can often offer the best economic
    solution to all kinds of different societal needs through offering
    employment, providing tax revenue, ensuring the best possible scaling
    economies and so on.

    One of the big dangers of the actions of Microsfot in trying to
    corrupt ISO, BSI and such like is that the rules will have to be
    tightened in order to stop the corruption.

    This is precisely the kind of ultra-selfish behaviour which allows
    governments to introduce speed-cameras on roads. If people were a bit
    more circumspect about the way they drove, there would never have been
    any speed cameras, but there are, and they continue to raise millions in
    "fines" (tax, basically).

    So, we end up with a situation where breaking the law becomes a taxation
    opportunity, rather than anything else... this is a deeply broken
    philosophical position, to my mind, and very much pushes the position
    that those who can /afford/ to break the law will do so, those who
    cannot /afford/ to do it have to abide by it. This is not, to my mind,
    a morally acceptable state of affairs.