[News] [Rival] Bank Down for 5 Days, Microsoft Software Blamed? - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Bank Down for 5 Days, Microsoft Software Blamed? - Linux ; Sampo Pankki törmäsi Microsoftin palvelimeen http://www.digitoday.fi/page.php?pag...ws_id=20088831 Someone who speaks the language sent me this. What kind of bank puts financial data in the hands of an O/S which has 40% of the PCs out there totally owned by a criminal ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Bank Down for 5 Days, Microsoft Software Blamed?

    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/co...-botnets_N.htm
    >?

    Related:

    London Stock Exchange blames outage on Infolect

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | She said the problem appeared to lie with Infolect’s three interactive
    | gateways, which send out about 10 million separate pieces of market
    | information daily, including share prices, to about 100,000 terminals. *
    |
    | Infolect was launched two years ago in place of the exchange’s London Market
    | Information Link platform. It uses Microsoft .net technology and a SQL Server
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^
    | database, and runs on more than 100 Intel-based 32-bit Proliant servers. *
    `----

    http://www.cio.co.uk/concern/securit...allchantopdate

    Linux steps up to power NZ Stock Exchange

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The New Zealand Stock Exchange is moving to a Linux platform for its
    | settlement and clearing system, replacing its existing HP NonStop platform
    | and applications in order to reduce cost and increase flexibility. *
    `----

    http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2573F00001488E

    HP Linux servers bolster NYSE trading app

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "We favor Linux for what we do. We don't want to be beholden to any one
    | [hardware or software] supplier, even if it is very good. We want the freedom
    | to be vendor-independent, so Linux was a good choice," said Rubinow.
    `----

    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...285921,00.html

    Open source and mission critical: The Linux application server landscape

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In 2005, Michael Dortch, executive editor and director of IT infrastructure
    | management strategies at the Robert Frances Group, penned a report comparing
    | Linux application server total cost of ownership (TCO) with Microsoft's
    | Windows and Sun Microsystems' Solaris. In that report, Linux won handily,
    | prompting Dortch to recommend that all IT managers at least give the Linux
    | application server a serious look for mission-critical data center tasks. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | What a lot of our clients are finding today, however, is that, with Linux and
    | open source application servers, the wisdom of the crowd has solved those
    | standards-based problems. And because the management tools are freely
    | available and malleable, they find that the big sell was "cheap and free" but
    | is now "What will complete my processes faster?" Open source used to be
    | inexpensive and free, but now IT is finding value [in it] because it's more
    | responsive and responsive. * * *
    `----

    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...06&uid=2087385

    Forrester: Open source is everywhere, and increasingly used for
    mission-critical applications

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Forrester just issued an insightful report on the increasing adoption
    | of open source in the enterprise. The verdict? Open source is everywhere,
    | and taking an ever-increasing piece of the enterprise pie
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/openreso...er_open_1.html

    Open Source Slowly Gains Momentum on Wall Street

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Customers may be comfortable using Linux for infrastructure-type
    | systems but less so for business software, said Monica Kumar,
    | senior director of product manager for Linux and open-source
    | software at Oracle.
    `----

    http://www.adtmag.com/article.aspx?id=20569

    Linux Crossing Threshold to Real Mission Critical Computing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ...Linux developers are steadily chipping away at the most
    | significant functional gaps that limited its suitability for
    | these workloads in the past, allowing it to progress far beyond the
    | "edge of network" domain where it has traditionally thrived. The
    | impressive wins by Novell and Red Hat prove that user perceptions
    | about Linux's limitations are gradually crumbling as well.
    `----

    http://ideasint.blogs.com/ideasinsig...crossing_.html

    Linux goes to Wall Street, puts on a show

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "The Financial Services firms are leading the enterprise adoption of
    | open source technology, including Linux," says Zachary. "By watching
    | the consumption patterns of these firms, open source vendors can
    | gain a good understanding of the types of products and services
    | that are commercially viable.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | "We see a growing role for open source software beyond Linux in
    | financial services companies and that's why many companies are
    | expanding the governance policies and procedures around using
    | open source software."
    `----

    http://community.linux.com/article.p...10216&from=rss

    Next Gen, Mission-Critical Apps To Be Deployed on Linux Says Report

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | By now it should be obvious to even the most casual industry observers
    | that Linux operating systems - and open source-based software in general -
    | have reached critical marketplace mass. Recent Linux deals and
    | announcements by Oracle and Microsoft have only reinforced the "open
    | source is enterprise-grade" message that IBM, Unisys and other "Master
    | Brand" hardware, software and services vendors have been preaching for
    | years. In short, open source, especially Linux, is becoming "legitimized"
    | by the major vendors for enterprise environments, and user executives
    | are more than happy to believe them.
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/R...ux_Says_Report

    CIO study finds Linux ready for prime-time

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The company predicts a steep rise: only 18 percent of businesses
    | will be using Linux in business-critical roles by the end of 2007.
    |
    | "Linux operating systems - and open source-based software in general
    | - have reached critical marketplace mass," said the study's authors,
    | Bruce Guptill and Bill McNee of Saugatuck Research.
    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=7681

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Bank Down for 5 Days, Microsoft Software Blamed?

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 15:31:58 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Sampo Pankki trmsi Microsoftin palvelimeen
    >
    > http://www.digitoday.fi/page.php?pag...ws_id=20088831
    >
    > Someone who speaks the language sent me this. What kind of bank puts financial
    > data in the hands of an O/S which has 40% of the PCs out there totally owned
    > by a criminal <
    > http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/co...-botnets_N.htm
    >>?

    From what I can tell, the article is about Sharepoint. Even if Sharepoint
    was down for 5 days, I fail to see how that would affect bank business.
    Sharepoint is intranet portal system, workgroup collaboration system, etc..
    It's hardly in any way mission criticial software (though it is used quite
    heavily).

    The article also mentions that their email system was Lotus Notes. Now if
    their email was down, that could be quite a blow.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Bank Down for 5 Days, Microsoft Software Blamed?

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Sampo Pankki trmsi Microsoftin palvelimeen
    >
    > http://www.digitoday.fi/page.php?pag...ws_id=20088831
    >
    > Someone who speaks the language sent me this. What kind of bank puts financial
    > data in the hands of an O/S which has 40% of the PCs out there totally owned
    > by a criminal <
    > http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/co...-botnets_N.htm
    >>?

    Financial people wouldn't keep drafts in a safe with hundreds of
    thousands of known security flaws, so why on earth do they choose
    Windows?

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Bank Down for 5 Days, Microsoft Software Blamed?

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Sampo Pankki trmsi Microsoftin palvelimeen
    >
    > http://www.digitoday.fi/page.php?pag...ws_id=20088831
    >
    > Someone who speaks the language sent me this. What kind of bank puts
    > financial data in the hands of an O/S which has 40% of the PCs out there
    > totally owned by a criminal <
    > http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news

    computersecurity/2008-03-16-computer-botnets_N.htm

    Banks have a duty to prevent any browsers operating on windummy osen
    from connecting to their systems and tell them to go buy an eSys Linxu
    machine or an Ausus EEE to connect.

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Bank Down for 5 Days, Microsoft Software Blamed?

    7 espoused:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Sampo Pankki trmsi Microsoftin palvelimeen
    >>
    >> http://www.digitoday.fi/page.php?pag...ws_id=20088831
    >>
    >> Someone who speaks the language sent me this. What kind of bank puts
    >> financial data in the hands of an O/S which has 40% of the PCs out there
    >> totally owned by a criminal <
    >> http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news

    > computersecurity/2008-03-16-computer-botnets_N.htm
    >

    > Banks have a duty to prevent any browsers operating on windummy osen
    > from connecting to their systems and tell them to go buy an eSys Linxu
    > machine or an Ausus EEE to connect.

    These machines are so inexpensive that the banks could give them to
    their best customers. That way, we could at least have a secure OS on
    the client side. We'd just need the banks to take security seriously on
    their side, then.

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Bank Down for 5 Days, Microsoft Software Blamed?

    ____/ Roy Schestowitz on Saturday 29 March 2008 15:31 : \____

    > Sampo Pankki törmäsi Microsoftin palvelimeen
    >
    > http://www.digitoday.fi/page.php?pag...ws_id=20088831
    >
    > Someone who speaks the language sent me this. What kind of bank puts
    > financial data in the hands of an O/S which has 40% of the PCs out there
    > totally owned by a criminal <

    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/co...-botnets_N.htm
    >>?

    Someone who speaks the language has sent more information:

    "Microsoft XSS hole causes state consumer agency to tell people to file for
    damages from Sampo Bank, Danske Bank.

    http://hsivonen.iki.fi/sampo-epic-multifail/

    Waiting increases the damage caused by Microsoft boosters. This is real
    economic damage they are causing and some edge cases might find Microsoft too
    much burden to survive. The movement is weak and can be buckled if we keep
    pushing."

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Free the mind, the source will follow"
    Swap: 1510068k total, 362148k used, 1147920k free, 49328k cached

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Bank Down for 5 Days, Microsoft Software Blamed?

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Roy Schestowitz on Saturday 29 March 2008 15:31 : \____
    >
    >> Sampo Pankki trmsi Microsoftin palvelimeen
    >>
    >> http://www.digitoday.fi/page.php?pag...ws_id=20088831
    >>
    >> Someone who speaks the language sent me this. What kind of bank puts
    >> financial data in the hands of an O/S which has 40% of the PCs out there
    >> totally owned by a criminal <
    >>

    > http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/co...-botnets_N.htm
    >>>?

    > Someone who speaks the language has sent more information:
    >
    > "Microsoft XSS hole causes state consumer agency to tell people to file for
    > damages from Sampo Bank, Danske Bank.
    >
    > http://hsivonen.iki.fi/sampo-epic-multifail/
    >
    > Waiting increases the damage caused by Microsoft boosters. This is real
    > economic damage they are causing and some edge cases might find Microsoft too
    > much burden to survive. The movement is weak and can be buckled if we keep
    > pushing."

    It would be good to hold the culprits responsible for the losses here,
    rather than have everyone pay just a little to cover it. Both Microsoft
    and those foolish enough to put key financial data behind a known
    insecure system (would they use a safe with thousands of known
    problems?) should be held to account.