[News] Another Windows Vista 'Feature': Screw Connections with GNU/Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Another Windows Vista 'Feature': Screw Connections with GNU/Linux - Linux ; Vista purposely cripples connections to other operating systems. ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft does know about this issue and have written a knowledge base | article about it here which basically states that you need to change a | particular ...

  1. [News] Another Windows Vista 'Feature': Screw Connections with GNU/Linux

    Vista purposely cripples connections to other operating systems.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft does know about this issue and have written a knowledge base
    | article about it here which basically states that you need to change a
    | particular registry entry from "1" to "0". Pretty simple for us Borgs but
    | beyond the capabilities of the average Joe and Jane Doe. Being a registry
    | change and not a bug in code as others have said shows me that this is a
    | policy decision.
    `----

    http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/loc...-systems-23331

    Related:

    Entire city of Vista users can't access the internet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Lundis Energi blamed Microsoft because Vista has got a bug and it isn't going
    | to change the configuration of the server just to cope with the flaw.
    `----

    FLOSS Weekly 14: Jeremy Allison of Samba

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 'In the section of the interview from around 33m30s to 39m00 Jeremy
    | Allison reports how he was told that the Microsoft team implementing
    | SMB2 were ordered to "f**k with Samba".'
    `---- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    http://www.twit.tv/floww14

    Longhorn server and Ubuntu do they still play together?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There real question however is can linux boxes still join and
    | authenticate against Active Directory domains running at Native
    | Longhorn Server levels. Well the answer a non surprising NO!
    `----

    http://odin749.blogspot.com/2007/05/...tu-active.html

    Details trickle out about EC Vista probe

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Commission said earlier this month that it
    | does have concerns about Microsoft Vista but
    | declined to give full details of those concerns
    | because of the "delicate legal situation"
    | surrounding the Vista anticompetition debate.
    |
    | Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes discussed
    | the situation with Microsoft's chief executive,
    | Steve Ballmer, in August, when she warned that
    | the Commission could not give Vista a "green
    | light" before it was launched.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6129089.html

  2. Re: [Roy Schestowitz doesn't know how to fact check] Another Windows Vista 'Feature': Screw Connections with GNU/Linux (was: [News] Another Windows Vista 'Feature': Screw Connections with GNU/Linux)

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 15:25:52 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Vista purposely cripples connections to other operating systems.
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Microsoft does know about this issue and have written a knowledge base
    >| article about it here which basically states that you need to change a
    >| particular registry entry from "1" to "0". Pretty simple for us Borgs but
    >| beyond the capabilities of the average Joe and Jane Doe. Being a registry
    >| change and not a bug in code as others have said shows me that this is a
    >| policy decision.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/loc...-systems-23331

    If you'd bothered to read the comments, you'd see that a) Locutus was
    quoting from the wrong RFC, and he even admits:

    "Thankyou for correcting me. I did not see the InfiniBand in my rush to get
    a microsoft bashing article out on the wire "

    What's more, he continues with his charade of accusing Microsoft of
    deliberately breaking compatibility but gets his ass slapped by it being
    pointed out that Linux admins use the exact same flag in DHCPD to deal with
    problems with DHCP conenctivity.

    "Any thought on this should make it obvious that there must be a good
    reason for the Vista team to do this. I had thought I had made that point
    above that it was probably due to wireless networking. When dealing with a
    network with multiple access points, what can happen is that if the DHCP
    request happened to make it to the DHCP server, the unicast may not cross
    the wireless link to the client as the client's MAC address is sometimes
    not in the AP's MAC table. Therefore with wireless access points, you can
    have more success with broadcast than unicast. Digging around, I found a
    whole bunch of places where people were fixing DHCP bugs by setting
    "always-broadcast" to "on" in their dhcpd.conf file, or
    "bootp-broadcast-always" in their dhclient.conf or "dhclient -B"

    Digging around on the "bootp-broadcast-always" I found this interesting
    tidbit:

    (bootp-broadcast-always...) This is necessary on clients such as IBM z/OS
    Linux guests with the z/OS "Layer 2 option', which share the same physical
    network interface, and where unicast replies cannot be received until the
    virtual per-client interface is configured with an IP address.

    Ok, more digging on the Vista issue (shuffle shuffle dig dig, ah, here we
    go...)
    http://blogs.technet.com/teamdhcp/ar...g-in-dhcp.aspx
    Describes that the intended behavior of Vista is/was to alternate BROADCAST
    on and off, but that clearly doesn't seem to be working.

    So it seems that the bug is in this alternating behavior."

    So in *YOUR RUSH* to get a microsoft bashing article out, you didn't bother
    to fact check.

    Surprise, Suprise.

  3. Re: [News] Another Windows Vista 'Feature': Screw Connections with GNU/Linux

    On 2008-03-29, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    > Vista purposely cripples connections to other operating systems.

    Wrong title on the article. Should be:

    Vista purposely crippled.

    --
    The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom.

  4. Re: [News] Another Windows Vista 'Feature': Screw Connections with GNU/Linux

    ____/ Sinister Midget on Saturday 29 March 2008 18:13 : \____

    > On 2008-03-29, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >> Vista purposely cripples connections to other operating systems.

    > Wrong title on the article. Should be:
    >
    > Vista purposely crippled.

    Just Vista or Windows as a whole? Microsoft has been making Windows fat for
    Intel for about a decade (if not more). he COmes vs Microsoft exhibits show
    this. Vista is just the latest incident.

    Microsoft knew of Vista shortcoming prior to release

    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&siteid=yhoof

    Microsoft dropped Vista hardware spec to raise Intel profits

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...apable_emails/

    Microsoft 'Caves' To Intel

    http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/28/mic...rtner=yahootix

    Has Vista lost all credibility?

    http://apcmag.com/8344/has_vista_lost_all_credibility

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Surely, Microsoft has given up on altruism in the IT industry
    Tasks: 118 total, 1 running, 117 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  5. Re: [Roy Schestowitz doesn't know how to fact check] Another Windows Vista 'Feature': Screw Connections with GNU/Linux

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 13:43:01 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 15:25:52 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Vista purposely cripples connections to other operating systems.
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Microsoft does know about this issue and have written a knowledge base
    >>| article about it here which basically states that you need to change a
    >>| particular registry entry from "1" to "0". Pretty simple for us Borgs but
    >>| beyond the capabilities of the average Joe and Jane Doe. Being a registry
    >>| change and not a bug in code as others have said shows me that this is a
    >>| policy decision.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/loc...-systems-23331

    > If you'd bothered to read the comments, you'd see that a) Locutus was
    > quoting from the wrong RFC, and he even admits:
    >
    > "Thankyou for correcting me. I did not see the InfiniBand in my rush to get
    > a microsoft bashing article out on the wire "
    >
    > What's more, he continues with his charade of accusing Microsoft of
    > deliberately breaking compatibility but gets his ass slapped by it being
    > pointed out that Linux admins use the exact same flag in DHCPD to deal with
    > problems with DHCP conenctivity.
    >
    > "Any thought on this should make it obvious that there must be a good
    > reason for the Vista team to do this. I had thought I had made that point
    > above that it was probably due to wireless networking. When dealing with a
    > network with multiple access points, what can happen is that if the DHCP
    > request happened to make it to the DHCP server, the unicast may not cross
    > the wireless link to the client as the client's MAC address is sometimes
    > not in the AP's MAC table. Therefore with wireless access points, you can
    > have more success with broadcast than unicast. Digging around, I found a
    > whole bunch of places where people were fixing DHCP bugs by setting
    > "always-broadcast" to "on" in their dhcpd.conf file, or
    > "bootp-broadcast-always" in their dhclient.conf or "dhclient -B"
    >
    > Digging around on the "bootp-broadcast-always" I found this interesting
    > tidbit:
    >
    > (bootp-broadcast-always...) This is necessary on clients such as IBM z/OS
    > Linux guests with the z/OS "Layer 2 option', which share the same physical
    > network interface, and where unicast replies cannot be received until the
    > virtual per-client interface is configured with an IP address.
    >
    > Ok, more digging on the Vista issue (shuffle shuffle dig dig, ah, here we
    > go...)
    > http://blogs.technet.com/teamdhcp/ar...g-in-dhcp.aspx
    > Describes that the intended behavior of Vista is/was to alternate BROADCAST
    > on and off, but that clearly doesn't seem to be working.
    >
    > So it seems that the bug is in this alternating behavior."
    >
    > So in *YOUR RUSH* to get a microsoft bashing article out, you didn't bother
    > to fact check.
    >
    > Surprise, Suprise.

    Roy Schestowitz doesn't read what he posts because it is done by a script.
    He just sits back and watches the SPAM fly out from Mark Kent's computer
    which Roy Schestowitz, amongst others, is sponging off of.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: [Roy Schestowitz doesn't know how to fact check] Another Windows Vista 'Feature': Screw Connections with GNU/Linux

  7. Re: [Roy Schestowitz doesn't know how to fact check] Another Windows Vista 'Feature': Screw Connections with GNU/Linux

    * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 15:25:52 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/loc...-systems-23331

    > If you'd bothered to read the comments...
    >

    > So in *YOUR RUSH* to get a microsoft bashing article out, you didn't bother
    > to fact check.
    >
    > Surprise, Suprise.

    Yeah, surprise surprise. Erik was apparently the only one interested in
    doing what I recommend: if the article looks intriguing, read it
    yourself before believing the (out-of-context) quote.

    I think you should follow up on /all/ of the articles whose links and
    partial quotes are posted by Roy.

    You can be Roy's Boswell.

    --
    Microsoft has had clear competitors in the past. It's a good thing we have
    museums to document that.

+ Reply to Thread