OSS breaking standards - Linux

This is a discussion on OSS breaking standards - Linux ; Linux wacks all over the world wail and whine that MS "breaks" standards, while acting like OSS is always standards-based and would never dream of such a thing. Here's a piece of reality for you rubes: http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/ Limiting result sets: ...

  1. OSS breaking standards

    Linux wacks all over the world wail and whine that MS "breaks" standards,
    while acting like OSS is always standards-based and would never dream of
    such a thing.

    Here's a piece of reality for you rubes:

    http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/

    Limiting result sets:
    PostgreSQL 8.2.0: Doesn't support ROW_NUMBER().
    MySQL Server 5.0.18: Doesn't support the standard.

    Top-n query:
    PostgreSQL: supports the slow standard
    MySQL: supports the slow standard

    (which is so slow it's not really an option)

    Limit with offset
    PostgreSQL: doesn't support the standard
    MySQL: doesn't support the standard

    Boolean data type
    MySQL offers a non-conforming type

    Char data type
    MySQL breaks the standard

    Substring function
    MySQL breaks the standard when negative values are used as either
    start-position or length:

    Trim function
    MySQL doesn't support the standard

    Concatenation
    MySQL: badly breaks the standard by redefining || to mean OR

    Automatic key generation
    PostgreSQL doesn't support the standard's IDENTITY attribute.
    MySQL doesn't support the standard's IDENTITY attribute.

  2. Re: OSS breaking standards

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Sat, 29 Mar 2008 10:56:00 -0500
    <%OsHj.11510$9O.313@bignews3.bellsouth.net>:
    > Linux wacks all over the world wail and whine that MS "breaks" standards,
    > while acting like OSS is always standards-based and would never dream of
    > such a thing.
    >
    > Here's a piece of reality for you rubes:
    >

    > http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/
    >
    > Limiting result sets:
    > PostgreSQL 8.2.0: Doesn't support ROW_NUMBER().
    > MySQL Server 5.0.18: Doesn't support the standard.
    >
    > Top-n query:
    > PostgreSQL: supports the slow standard
    > MySQL: supports the slow standard
    >
    > (which is so slow it's not really an option)
    >

    > Limit with offset
    > PostgreSQL: doesn't support the standard
    > MySQL: doesn't support the standard
    >
    > Boolean data type
    > MySQL offers a non-conforming type
    >
    > Char data type
    > MySQL breaks the standard
    >
    > Substring function
    > MySQL breaks the standard when negative values are used as either
    > start-position or length:
    >
    > Trim function
    > MySQL doesn't support the standard
    >
    > Concatenation
    > MySQL: badly breaks the standard by redefining || to mean OR
    >
    > Automatic key generation
    > PostgreSQL doesn't support the standard's IDENTITY attribute.
    > MySQL doesn't support the standard's IDENTITY attribute.

    Well, there you have it folks; Linux is clearly broken.

    Now you get to analyze and see how many standards
    Microsoft SQL Server follows.

    Hop to it.

    :-P

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "Woman? What woman?"

  3. Re: OSS breaking standards

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > Well, there you have it folks; Linux is clearly broken.

    *Absolutely* no doubt about that.

    > Now you get to analyze and see how many standards
    > Microsoft SQL Server follows.
    >
    > Hop to it.
    >
    > :-P

    I did my part, so I'll leave that bit of fun for you.

  4. Re: OSS breaking standards

    In article <%OsHj.11510$9O.313@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,

    > http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/

    A good illustration of why one might want ODBC.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: OSS breaking standards

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:17:09 -0500
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> Well, there you have it folks; Linux is clearly broken.

    > *Absolutely* no doubt about that.
    >

    >> Now you get to analyze and see how many standards
    >> Microsoft SQL Server follows.
    >>
    >> Hop to it.
    >>
    >> :-P

    > I did my part, so I'll leave that bit of fun for you.

    Oh. I was hoping you had a pirated copy of MS SQL Server.
    I don't.

    :-P

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux makes one use one's mind.
    Windows just messes with one's head.

  6. Re: OSS breaking standards

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <%OsHj.11510$9O.313@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
    >>
    >> http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/

    > A good illustration of why one might want ODBC.

    Apart from being a masochist?

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  7. Re: OSS breaking standards

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > Oh. I was hoping you had a pirated copy of MS SQL Server.
    > I don't.
    >
    > :-P

    I bought the last two versions of SQL Server Developer Edition (2000 and
    2005) for $45 each - no price increase from 2002.

+ Reply to Thread