sc (Spreadsheet Calculator) - Linux

This is a discussion on sc (Spreadsheet Calculator) - Linux ; Often I need to use a calculator, and, even with mapping the "Calculator" button on my Microsoft keyboard to gcalctool, I find it a bit slow. And, because there's only one entry field, a bit clumsy to use. Lately I've ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. sc (Spreadsheet Calculator)

    Often I need to use a calculator, and, even with mapping the
    "Calculator" button on my Microsoft keyboard to gcalctool, I find it a
    bit slow. And, because there's only one entry field, a bit clumsy to
    use.

    Lately I've been running sc, a spreadsheet calculator in the debian
    repos. It's a nice scratchpad for calculations, and it starts
    instantly. (Even better, it has vi-like key mappings ).
    It runs in a console window using ncurses (I think).

    I've been using it for simple stuff, but, when I printed out the
    manpage, I found it to be about 40 pages long, so I'm wondering what I
    else I can do with this "little" app. In the meantime, though, I like
    it better for basic calculations that I like any of the GUI calculators,
    and it is a bit more tractable than bc or dc.

    Anyone have a favorite command-line calculator?

    --
    Gates is the ultimate programming machine. He believes everything can be
    defined, examined, reduced to essentials, and rearranged into a logical

  2. Re: sc (Spreadsheet Calculator)

    "Linonut" wrote in message

    > Anyone have a favorite command-line calculator?

    bc - Basic calculator.

    brandon@cigar:~$ bc
    bc 1.06
    Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    For details type `warranty'.
    2+2
    4
    quit
    brandon@cigar:~$

  3. Re: sc (Spreadsheet Calculator)

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 10:24:04 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > Often I need to use a calculator, and, even with mapping the
    > "Calculator" button on my Microsoft keyboard to gcalctool, I find it
    > a bit slow. And, because there's only one entry field, a bit clumsy
    > to use.
    >
    > Lately I've been running sc, a spreadsheet calculator in the debian
    > repos. It's a nice scratchpad for calculations, and it starts
    > instantly. (Even better, it has vi-like key mappings ). It
    > runs in a console window using ncurses (I think).

    sc brings back memories. I first used linux before it had any
    networking far less X. When X arrived there was the problem of
    calculating the modelines for different resolutions which would work
    with your monitor. This was a serious problem as it was possible to
    damage the monitor. Some smart guy developed an sc spreadsheet where
    you entered the monitor spec and sc produced modelines for several
    different resolutions.

    Today, it is just too easy to use linux. :-)

  4. Re: sc (Spreadsheet Calculator)

    Linonut wrote:

    > Anyone have a favorite command-line calculator?

    SAGE:

    http://www.sagemath.org/

    In addition to being one of the most advanced maths tools out there,
    it's also one of the fastest, especially with Pi calculations.

    ]$ sage
    sage: time s = pi.str(1048576*log(10,2))
    Wall time: 8.35

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    15:47:03 up 99 days, 13:22, 5 users, load average: 0.02, 0.40, 0.55

  5. Re: sc (Spreadsheet Calculator)

    Brandon Sheckly wrote:

    >2+2
    >4

    Wrong!

  6. Re: sc (Spreadsheet Calculator)

    ____/ chrisv on Saturday 29 March 2008 15:57 : \____

    > Brandon Sheckly wrote:
    >
    >>2+2
    >>4

    > Wrong!

    I didn't get it. Must be on the killfile. Probably another Scott Douglas nym.
    Looks like a fake name...

    One has to wonder if it's possible to generate a newsgroup that pre-filtered so
    that you can read it without killfile. Kind of like a mirror that acts as a
    funnel...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Microsoft's Counter-Supportive Evangelist (MCSE)
    Swap: 1510068k total, 538100k used, 971968k free, 63352k cached

  7. Re: sc (Spreadsheet Calculator)

    In article ,
    chrisv wrote:
    > Brandon Sheckly wrote:
    >
    > >2+2
    > >4

    > Wrong!

    No, it is not wrong. Proof available here:

    <http://www.amazon.com/Principia-Math...hitehead/dp/05
    2106791X>

    (and for those whose newsreaders don't bother to follow standards)

    > http://www.amazon.com/Principia-Math.../dp/052106791X

    I suggest you study it, and get back to us when you understand the proof.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  8. Re: sc (Spreadsheet Calculator)

    Linonut wrote:

    > Often I need to use a calculator, and, even with mapping the
    > "Calculator" button on my Microsoft keyboard to gcalctool, I find it a
    > bit slow. And, because there's only one entry field, a bit clumsy to
    > use.
    >
    > Lately I've been running sc, a spreadsheet calculator in the debian
    > repos. It's a nice scratchpad for calculations, and it starts
    > instantly. (Even better, it has vi-like key mappings ).
    > It runs in a console window using ncurses (I think).
    >
    > I've been using it for simple stuff, but, when I printed out the
    > manpage, I found it to be about 40 pages long, so I'm wondering what I
    > else I can do with this "little" app. In the meantime, though, I like
    > it better for basic calculations that I like any of the GUI calculators,
    > and it is a bit more tractable than bc or dc.

    Hmmm....

    The Gentoo Devs have this to say:

    * QA Notice: Package has poor programming practices which may compile
    * fine but exhibit random runtime failures.

    * vi.c:1410: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
    function ?execl?
    qhelp.c:645: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
    function ?exit?

    * Please do not file a Gentoo bug and instead report the above QA
    * issues directly to the upstream developers of this software.
    * Homepage: http://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/apps/fi...l/spreadsheet/

    =========================

    I tried it and it seems to work OK.

    > Anyone have a favorite command-line calculator?

    Actually, I rather like bc

    It's a lot like awk. Plenty of power to do whatever you want, on the fly.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  9. Re: sc (Spreadsheet Calculator)

    * [H]omer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone have a favorite command-line calculator?

    > SAGE:
    >
    > http://www.sagemath.org/
    >
    > In addition to being one of the most advanced maths tools out there,
    > it's also one of the fastest, especially with Pi calculations.
    >
    >]$ sage
    > sage: time s = pi.str(1048576*log(10,2))
    > Wall time: 8.35

    Thanks for the link.

    I wonder, are there any command-line calculators for Windows? I suppose
    I could go looking myself, to save you all the trouble....

    Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    --
    Technology is just a tool. In terms of getting the kids working together and
    motivating them, the teacher is the most important.

  10. Re: sc (Spreadsheet Calculator)

    * Brandon Sheckly peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Anyone have a favorite command-line calculator?

    > bc - Basic calculator.
    >
    > brandon@cigar:~$ bc
    > bc 1.06
    > Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    > This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    > For details type `warranty'.
    > 2+2
    > 4
    > quit

    That's an out-of-date version, TT.

    --
    Microsoft is not about greed. It's about innovation and fairness.
    -- Bill Gates

  11. Re: sc (Spreadsheet Calculator)

    >> Wrong!

    > No, it is not wrong. Proof available here:
    >
    > <http://www.amazon.com/Principia-Math...hitehead/dp/05
    > 2106791X>
    >
    > (and for those whose newsreaders don't bother to follow standards)
    >
    >> http://www.amazon.com/Principia-Math.../dp/052106791X

    > I suggest you study it, and get back to us when you understand the proof.

    I suggest you not be such a pompous, condescending, patronizing,
    supercilious ass.

    Such hubris will get you into trouble .

    --
    One thing we have got to change in our strategy - allowing Office documents to
    be rendered very well by other peoples browsers is one of the most destructive

  12. Re: sc (Spreadsheet Calculator)

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 06:12:14 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > I didn't get it. Must be on the killfile. Probably another Scott Douglas nym.
    > Looks like a fake name...

    But yet you took the time to respond.
    Sure Roy, we believe you.
    Really we do.

    > One has to wonder if it's possible to generate a newsgroup that pre-filtered so
    > that you can read it without killfile. Kind of like a mirror that acts as a
    > funnel...

    It's called a 'moderated group' and they have been around for ages.

    Hint: You and your antics wouldn't last a week, unless Mark Kent or [OhNo]
    were the moderator.
    But then there would only be 3 people in the group.

    Maybe that's what you would like?
    It's pretty much what you have now.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  13. Re: sc (Spreadsheet Calculator)

    In article ,
    Linonut wrote:
    > > No, it is not wrong. Proof available here:
    > >
    > > <http://www.amazon.com/Principia-Math...hitehead/dp/05
    > > 2106791X>
    > >
    > > (and for those whose newsreaders don't bother to follow standards)
    > >
    > >> http://www.amazon.com/Principia-Math...ehead/dp/05210
    > >> 6791X

    > > I suggest you study it, and get back to us when you understand the proof.

    > I suggest you not be such a pompous, condescending, patronizing,
    > supercilious ass.

    When someone questions 2+2=4, condescension, etc., is the correct
    response.

    > Such hubris will get you into trouble .

    I'm willing to take the risk of a bit of hubris over my belief that
    2+2=4. :-)

    --
    --Tim Smith

  14. Re: sc (Spreadsheet Calculator)

    In article <0qNHj.15853$%15.1747@bignews7.bellsouth.net>,
    Linonut wrote:
    > I wonder, are there any command-line calculators for Windows? I suppose
    > I could go looking myself, to save you all the trouble....
    >
    > Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    If you just want integers,

    set /a expression

    e.g.,

    set /a 2+2

    gives 4 and

    set /a 31>>2

    gives 7.

    If you want more, this looks reasonably capable and doesn't cost
    anything:

    --
    --Tim Smith

  15. Re: sc (Spreadsheet Calculator)

    Tim Smith writes:

    > In article <0qNHj.15853$%15.1747@bignews7.bellsouth.net>,
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> I wonder, are there any command-line calculators for Windows? I suppose
    >> I could go looking myself, to save you all the trouble....
    >>
    >> Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    > If you just want integers,
    >
    > set /a expression
    >
    > e.g.,
    >
    > set /a 2+2
    >
    > gives 4 and
    >
    > set /a 31>>2
    >
    > gives 7.
    >
    > If you want more, this looks reasonably capable and doesn't cost
    > anything:

    calc in emacs does pretty much everything and is a superb programmer
    calculator.

    http://www.xemacs.org/Documentation/..._9.html#SEC162

  16. Re: sc (Spreadsheet Calculator)

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ chrisv on Saturday 29 March 2008 15:57 : \____
    >
    >> Brandon Sheckly wrote:
    >>
    >>>2+2
    >>>4

    >> Wrong!

    > I didn't get it. Must be on the killfile. Probably another Scott Douglas nym.
    > Looks like a fake name...
    >
    > One has to wonder if it's possible to generate a newsgroup that pre-filtered so
    > that you can read it without killfile. Kind of like a mirror that acts as a
    > funnel...

    Easily, just use leafnode. Presently, I do most filtering in my client,
    but it wouldn't be a huge problem to do more in the server...

  17. Re: sc (Spreadsheet Calculator)

    Linonut wrote:

    > * Brandon Sheckly peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have a favorite command-line calculator?

    >> bc - Basic calculator.
    >>
    >> brandon@cigar:~$ bc
    >> bc 1.06
    >> Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    >> This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    >> For details type `warranty'.
    >> 2+2
    >> 4
    >> quit

    > That's an out-of-date version, TT.

    Is it?

    That's the latest version for Gentoo x86 stable.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  18. Re: sc (Spreadsheet Calculator)

    > In article <0qNHj.15853$%15.1747@bignews7.bellsouth.net>,
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> I wonder, are there any command-line calculators for Windows? I suppose
    >> I could go looking myself, to save you all the trouble....
    >>
    >> Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    > If you just want integers,

    Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt. Try again.

    > If you want more, this looks reasonably capable and doesn't cost
    > anything:

    Much better.

    --
    The U.S. couldn't even get rid of Saddam Hussein. And we all know that the
    EU is just a passing fad. They'll be killing each other again in less than a

  19. Re: sc (Spreadsheet Calculator)

    > In article ,
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> > No, it is not wrong. Proof available here:
    >> >
    >> > <http://www.amazon.com/Principia-Math...hitehead/dp/05
    >> > 2106791X>
    >> >
    >> > (and for those whose newsreaders don't bother to follow standards)

    >> > I suggest you study it, and get back to us when you understand the proof.

    >> I suggest you not be such a pompous, condescending, patronizing,
    >> supercilious ass.

    > When someone questions 2+2=4, condescension, etc., is the correct
    > response.

    Nope. It was simply "humor".

    --
    There are people who don't like capitalism, and people who don't like PCs.
    But there's no-one who likes the PC who doesn't like Microsoft.

  20. Re: sc (Spreadsheet Calculator)

    Linonut wrote:

    > Timmy:
    >>
    >> When someone questions 2+2=4, condescension, etc., is the correct
    >> response.

    >Nope. It was simply "humor".

    Jesus H. Christ. Timmy thought that I was serious. What a fscking
    idiot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast