Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system - Linux ; "issues here as well. I just installed Gutsy on my macbook, it was all running very good until about an hour ago. Now, as soon as i boot and login in, if I open more than one window, it locks ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69

  1. Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "issues here as well. I just installed Gutsy on my macbook, it was all
    running very good until about an hour ago. Now, as soon as i boot and login
    in, if I open more than one window, it locks up, completely! I can move the
    mouse around but that's it! I have to push and hold the power button to
    reboot. This sucks, big time, I just got everything but the sound working. 4
    days for nothing, please help!"

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=63

  2. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "DFS" wrote in message
    news:6ZkHj.27500$rC6.20807@bignews4.bellsouth.net. ..
    > "issues here as well. I just installed Gutsy on my macbook, it was all
    > running very good until about an hour ago. Now, as soon as i boot and
    > login in, if I open more than one window, it locks up, completely! I can
    > move the mouse around but that's it! I have to push and hold the power
    > button to reboot. This sucks, big time, I just got everything but the
    > sound working. 4 days for nothing, please help!"
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=63

    Now when something like that happens to a Windows user, he is told to
    re-install the OS. Everyone laughs, but in a half hour the deed is done and
    whatever was the problem is put back into the mystery jar and useful life
    can go on again. The Linux user, however, has some sort of machismo that
    prohibits such obvious corrective actions. Perhaps if you google for the
    phrase "Real men don't reinstall" you could find more on the subject.

  3. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > Now when something like that happens to a Windows user, he is told to
    > re-install the OS. Everyone laughs, but in a half hour the deed is done and
    > whatever was the problem is put back into the mystery jar and useful life
    > can go on again. The Linux user, however, has some sort of machismo that
    > prohibits such obvious corrective actions. Perhaps if you google for the
    > phrase "Real men don't reinstall" you could find more on the subject.

    Thats because in the Linux world, we like to actually find the reason
    for the problem and fix it for the long term, rather than just bandage
    over it with a desperation reinstall. Yes, bugs and problems occur
    with Linux as with with Window... we just do a better job dealing with
    them over the long haul.

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  4. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > Now when something like that happens to a Windows user, he is told to
    > re-install the OS. *Everyone laughs, but in a half hour the deed is done
    > and whatever was the problem is put back into the mystery jar and useful
    > life can go on again.

    Half hour? Utter bull****. In a half hour you barely have the hard drive
    formatted. In an hour, or so, when the initial install is done, you start
    on the upgrades -- three or four hours later, you start installing
    applications and drivers... then *they* have to be upgraded.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  5. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    wrote in message

    > Thats because in the Linux world, we like to actually find the reason
    > for the problem and fix it for the long term, rather than just bandage
    > over it with a desperation reinstall. Yes, bugs and problems occur
    > with Linux as with with Window... we just do a better job dealing with
    > them over the long haul.

    Oh, that's a lot of baloney. There isn't one person in a million who is
    even capable of coping with stuff like that and his time is going to be much
    to valuable to bother with. There should be paid developers working on the
    project to fix such things and paid QA testers to find problems in
    reproducible environments. You Linux snobs are a bunch of folk fantasizing
    about life that way. The last frontiersmen or something like that. Regular
    people just get over it quickly and on their merry way.

    I get a kick out of reading about how the "community" uses its "many eyes"
    to find defects and fix the code base. That's no different than the kinds
    of escalation reports we get from customers. They are not trained in how to
    classify and report problems so there is always a huge problem with even
    understanding what they are talking about much less being able to reproduce
    and fix the issue. That has to be the least effective way to get things
    done that could ever be invented. The home Linux fans don't have much of a
    choice, though, and so the legend is born. But nothing works that way.

  6. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "RonB" wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> Now when something like that happens to a Windows user, he is told to
    >> re-install the OS. Everyone laughs, but in a half hour the deed is done
    >> and whatever was the problem is put back into the mystery jar and useful
    >> life can go on again.

    > Half hour? Utter bull****. In a half hour you barely have the hard drive
    > formatted. In an hour, or so, when the initial install is done, you start
    > on the upgrades -- three or four hours later, you start installing
    > applications and drivers... then *they* have to be upgraded.

    So you would immediately reformat the hard drive(s)? Curious beast that
    Linux.

    What the regular people do is just pop in the repair CD and reboot. Well
    under a half hour and things are always back to what they were before the
    incident unless it is a hard drive failure to start with. Then you need a
    bare metal restore from your backup if you have one.

  7. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:47:33 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >>
    >> Thats because in the Linux world, we like to actually find the reason
    >> for the problem and fix it for the long term, rather than just bandage
    >> over it with a desperation reinstall. Yes, bugs and problems occur
    >> with Linux as with with Window... we just do a better job dealing with
    >> them over the long haul.
    >>

    > Oh, that's a lot of baloney. There isn't one person in a million who is
    > even capable of coping with stuff like that and his time is going to be
    > much to valuable to bother with. There should be paid developers
    > working on the project to fix such things and paid QA testers to find
    > problems in reproducible environments.

    .... and you show you have no idea about community service,

    > You Linux snobs are a bunch of
    > folk fantasizing about life that way. The last frontiersmen or
    > something like that. Regular people just get over it quickly and on
    > their merry way.

    .... and you show you are a bigot.

    > I get a kick out of reading about how the "community" uses its "many
    > eyes" to find defects and fix the code base. That's no different than

    Maybe you should learn to understand the concept.

    > the kinds of escalation reports we get from customers. They are not

    Wow, you're actually old enough to hold a job?

    > trained in how to classify and report problems so there is always a huge
    > problem with even understanding what they are talking about much less
    > being able to reproduce and fix the issue. That has to be the least
    > effective way to get things done that could ever be invented. The home
    > Linux fans don't have much of a choice, though, and so the legend is
    > born. But nothing works that way.

    Linux development seems to work.

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > What the regular people do is just pop in the repair CD and reboot.

    Than watch it not fix the problem and reinstall Windows from scratch.
    Another five hours wasted.

    I don't know what regular Linux folks would do. I've never had a Linux OS
    installation fail on me.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  9. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "Rick" stated in post 13utfikcils9d4e@news.supernews.com
    on 3/29/08 3:10 PM:

    >> trained in how to classify and report problems so there is always a huge
    >> problem with even understanding what they are talking about much less
    >> being able to reproduce and fix the issue. That has to be the least
    >> effective way to get things done that could ever be invented. The home
    >> Linux fans don't have much of a choice, though, and so the legend is
    >> born. But nothing works that way.

    > Linux development seems to work.

    In some areas it works very well... in others, such as making a desktop
    distro with a non-fractured UI, well, it has a ways to go.

    As important as that is, though, I do bet that distros will get better and
    better here over the next few years.

    --
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments
    that take our breath away.

  10. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    RonB wrote:

    > rat:
    >
    >> What the regular people do is just pop in the repair CD and reboot.

    > Than watch it not fix the problem and reinstall Windows from scratch.
    > Another five hours wasted.

    Exactly. Rat is lying, as usual. I've tried the M$ "repair" process,
    and it's NEVER helped. And, I dare say, I'm far more computer-literate
    than most folks are.

    "Regular people" haven't got a CHANCE IN HELL.

  11. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    Oh, horse ****.

    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....$666: Minimum deposit of the Beast

    Owner and proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

  12. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "RonB" wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> What the regular people do is just pop in the repair CD and reboot.

    > Than watch it not fix the problem and reinstall Windows from scratch.
    > Another five hours wasted.

    An empty claim and a silly one to boot. How on earth could it NOT fix the
    problem if the hardware is still functioning? I doubt that you can even
    construct a hypothetical situation where the repair process would not
    restore the system to operation and in far less time than you claim.

  13. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    > RonB wrote:
    >
    >> rat:
    >>
    >>> What the regular people do is just pop in the repair CD and reboot.

    >> Than watch it not fix the problem and reinstall Windows from scratch.
    >> Another five hours wasted.

    > Exactly. Rat is lying, as usual. I've tried the M$ "repair" process,
    > and it's NEVER helped. And, I dare say, I'm far more computer-literate
    > than most folks are.
    >
    > "Regular people" haven't got a CHANCE IN HELL.

    So chrisv here thinks that his superior intellect's failure to achieve
    success is proof of the general population's lack of hope. Will anyone give
    him an "Amen, brother chris!"?

  14. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "Tattoo Vampire" wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> What the regular people do is just pop in the repair CD and reboot. Well
    >> under a half hour and things are always back to what they were before the
    >> incident unless it is a hard drive failure to start with.

    > Oh, horse ****.

    Is that an indication of disbelief? Have you ever actually tried it? Have
    you ever actually had a Windows system fail?

  15. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "RonB" wrote in message
    >> amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >>> What the regular people do is just pop in the repair CD and reboot.

    >> Than watch it not fix the problem and reinstall Windows from scratch.
    >> Another five hours wasted.
    >>

    > An empty claim and a silly one to boot. How on earth could it NOT fix the
    > problem if the hardware is still functioning? I doubt that you can even
    > construct a hypothetical situation where the repair process would not
    > restore the system to operation and in far less time than you claim.

    Naw it's the truth -- a truth WinTrolls like to avoid. Just ask a few people
    who have actually tried Microsoft's repair program. It doesn't work as
    advertised.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  16. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    I'll give a hearty BULL**** to you, lying troll.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  17. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > Is that an indication of disbelief? *Have you ever actually tried it?
    > Have you ever actually had a Windows system fail?

    I have and those I've known have. And the repair program was a total waste
    of time -- despite what a lying WinTroll, like you, might say.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  18. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > Oh, I do it for a living, old man, and I get paid an acceptable amount,

    Yep. Fixing Windows is a very lucrative career. Lots and lots of demand.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  19. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "Rick" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:47:33 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Thats because in the Linux world, we like to actually find the reason
    >>> for the problem and fix it for the long term, rather than just bandage
    >>> over it with a desperation reinstall. Yes, bugs and problems occur
    >>> with Linux as with with Window... we just do a better job dealing with
    >>> them over the long haul.
    >>>

    >> Oh, that's a lot of baloney. There isn't one person in a million who is
    >> even capable of coping with stuff like that and his time is going to be
    >> much to valuable to bother with. There should be paid developers
    >> working on the project to fix such things and paid QA testers to find
    >> problems in reproducible environments.

    > ... and you show you have no idea about community service,

    And you are wrong in thinking that software bug detection, reporting, and
    correction is a community service of some kind. It is a technical activity.

    >> You Linux snobs are a bunch of
    >> folk fantasizing about life that way. The last frontiersmen or
    >> something like that. Regular people just get over it quickly and on
    >> their merry way.

    > ... and you show you are a bigot.

    Yes. I am biased against uneducated, self-righteous snob with no useful
    ideas such as yourself.

    >> I get a kick out of reading about how the "community" uses its "many
    >> eyes" to find defects and fix the code base. That's no different than

    > Maybe you should learn to understand the concept.
    >
    >> the kinds of escalation reports we get from customers. They are not

    > Wow, you're actually old enough to hold a job?

    Oh, I do it for a living, old man, and I get paid an acceptable amount, I
    feel. Enough to have a lot better collection of equipment than you used to
    feature on your half-assed web site.

    >> trained in how to classify and report problems so there is always a huge
    >> problem with even understanding what they are talking about much less
    >> being able to reproduce and fix the issue. That has to be the least
    >> effective way to get things done that could ever be invented. The home
    >> Linux fans don't have much of a choice, though, and so the legend is
    >> born. But nothing works that way.

    > Linux development seems to work.

    Linux works just fine. I've never said that it did not. Linux has a fairly
    conventional problem tracking and correction structure as well. The real
    work seems restricted to some 100 individuals or so, most of whom are being
    paid to do what they are doing by IBM, Red Hat, Novell, and some others.
    The commercial Linux stuff is being maintained, but the rest of it is a crap
    shoot. That's OK for the hobbyist, but it won't suit the mass desktop
    market.

  20. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > Is that an indication of disbelief? Have you ever actually tried it? Have
    > you ever actually had a Windows system fail?

    Yes, I have. More than once over the years. Sometimes a rescue install
    worked. Most of the time it turned to just be a band-aid.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....A clean desk is a sign of a cluttered desk drawer.