Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system - Linux ; "William Poaster" wrote in message news r74c5-b5b.ln1@mandriva2008.archimedes.eu... > RonB wrote: > >> amicus_curious wrote: >> >>> So chrisv here thinks that his superior intellect's failure to achieve >>> success is proof of the general population's lack of hope. Will anyone ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 69

  1. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "William Poaster" wrote in message
    newsr74c5-b5b.ln1@mandriva2008.archimedes.eu...
    > RonB wrote:
    >
    >> amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >>> So chrisv here thinks that his superior intellect's failure to achieve
    >>> success is proof of the general population's lack of hope. Will anyone
    >>> give him an "Amen, brother chris!"?

    >> I'll give a hearty BULL**** to you, lying troll.
    >>

    > amicus_curious aka billwg is Bill Weisgerber.
    > Google for Bill Weisgerber and you will see that this troll has done
    > his shill service for MS for years, always in the same *extremely*
    > dishonest
    > way.
    > --

    Well, you are not correct here, but why should that matter anyway? I
    suspect that if you google for chrisv, you will find that he has been making
    the same insipid posts knocking MS and never saying anything useful for
    years. I am curious, still, about what you find interesting in your trite
    approach to this newsgroup. With nothing to say, how do you ever gain any
    satisfaction in saying it?

  2. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    news:srqdnUMqTcjqCXLanZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > RonB wrote:
    >
    >> amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >>> So chrisv here thinks that his superior intellect's failure to achieve
    >>> success is proof of the general population's lack of hope. Will anyone
    >>> give him an "Amen, brother chris!"?

    >> I'll give a hearty BULL**** to you, lying troll.

    > Indeed. If someone with my experience can't fix it, then the general
    > public sure as hell will not be able to fix it, 99% of the time.

    I didn't see him endorsing your position. Let's wait and see if he does
    explicitly. He is sort of sidestepping here.

  3. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "RonB" wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >

    >> "RonB" wrote in message

    >>> Than watch it not fix the problem and reinstall Windows from scratch.
    >>> Another five hours wasted.
    >>>

    >> An empty claim and a silly one to boot. How on earth could it NOT fix
    >> the
    >> problem if the hardware is still functioning? I doubt that you can even
    >> construct a hypothetical situation where the repair process would not
    >> restore the system to operation and in far less time than you claim.

    > Naw it's the truth -- a truth WinTrolls like to avoid. Just ask a few
    > people
    > who have actually tried Microsoft's repair program. It doesn't work as
    > advertised.

    I have tried it and it worked flawlessly. I note that you continue to make
    no identifiable claim of your own, just handwaving for someone else to pick
    up the ball.

  4. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "RonB" wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> Is that an indication of disbelief? Have you ever actually tried it?
    >> Have you ever actually had a Windows system fail?

    > I have and those I've known have. And the repair program was a total waste
    > of time -- despite what a lying WinTroll, like you, might say.

    I'm curious. You are a Linux advocate and you are still using Windows? I
    find that hard to believe. What makes me suspicious is that you failed to
    repair a corrupted Windows installation using the repair function which, if
    nothing else, restores the Windows files to a known good state. I think you
    are just making things up out of thin air to bolster your untenable
    position. Can you describe any mechanism wherein the restore method could
    actually fail on a system with intact hardware?

  5. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "Tattoo Vampire" wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> Is that an indication of disbelief? Have you ever actually tried it?
    >> Have
    >> you ever actually had a Windows system fail?

    > Yes, I have. More than once over the years. Sometimes a rescue install
    > worked. Most of the time it turned to just be a band-aid.
    > --

    That is not being very clear. Let us start with XP and/or Vista. Do you
    have any experience in restoring them?

  6. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "RonB" wrote in message
    >> amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >>> Oh, I do it for a living, old man, and I get paid an acceptable amount,

    >> Yep. Fixing Windows is a very lucrative career. Lots and lots of demand.
    >>

    > I really doubt that is the case. *For one thing, I don't see where Windows
    > is very much in need of being fixed.

    You don't see a lot of obvious things... obviously. I don't work on
    computers for a living, but I've repaired too many Windows machines for
    friends, relatives and friends of relatives and friends to buy into your
    bull****. I also sit across from a the PC help desk operators at my current
    job, so I hear plenty of conversations about XP problems. Their first line
    solution? Reboot the computer. After that, they try to remotely log in and
    fix it (and usually can). When the machine is too Micro$hafted, it's time
    to "re-image" -- which means rebuild. If I had a dime for every time the
    help desk tells people that they *should* "reboot their computers every day
    to avoid problems" I would be a rich man.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  7. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > I have tried it and it worked flawlessly. *I note that you continue to
    > make no identifiable claim of your own, just handwaving for someone else
    > to pick up the ball.

    I have tried it (several times) and it's only worked *once.*

    Just the facts, ma'am.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  8. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > I'm curious. *You are a Linux advocate and you are still using Windows? *I
    > find that hard to believe. *What makes me suspicious is that you failed to
    > repair a corrupted Windows installation using the repair function which,
    > if nothing else, restores the Windows files to a known good state. *I
    > think you are just making things up out of thin air to bolster your
    > untenable position. *Can you describe any mechanism wherein the restore
    > method could actually fail on a system with intact hardware?

    You're curiosity is noted -- as is your ignorance. I'm not using Windows,
    but most of my family and friends are and so I still have to work with the
    crap. Reverting to the last "known good state" bull**** has worked exactly
    one time. I know how the Windows repair process is *supposed* to work -- I
    also know that, except for one time, it hasn't worked that way for me.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  9. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >> --
    >> Yeah, I drank the Open Source cool-aid... Unlike the other brand, it had
    >> all the ingredients on the label.

    > Are you sure it was cool-aid? From your descriptions, it seems more
    > likely to be bull****.

    No, that's Micro$haft's business. They monopolize it.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  10. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:03:42 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    >>
    >> It suits the desktops of the workers in Largo, and Ernie Ball. It suits
    >> me. It suits several of my students and some of my friends.It seems to
    >> suit people putting together supercomputer clusters.
    >>

    > Well, of course YOU would think so, but then you are not very
    > experienced.

    No, I guess not. I've only been using personal computers for work and
    play since the early 80's.

    On the other hand, I didn't write the positive reports of Largo's Linux
    use, not was I the one to write the positive reports from Ernie Ball. And
    I suppose my Linux lying friends are lying about their positive
    experiences.

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "Rick" stated in post 13v0di0tm00sma5@news.supernews.com
    on 3/30/08 5:54 PM:

    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:03:42 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> It suits the desktops of the workers in Largo, and Ernie Ball. It suits
    >>> me. It suits several of my students and some of my friends.It seems to
    >>> suit people putting together supercomputer clusters.
    >>>

    >> Well, of course YOU would think so, but then you are not very
    >> experienced.

    > No, I guess not. I've only been using personal computers for work and
    > play since the early 80's.

    You have made that claim before - but when asked about it you back pedaled
    and said you were not even claiming it.

    You even pointed to a website you made to brag about your experience... and
    then had to be shown how to find out that its background image was tiling
    when it should not have.

    That was funny.

    > On the other hand, I didn't write the positive reports of Largo's Linux
    > use, not was I the one to write the positive reports from Ernie Ball. And
    > I suppose my Linux lying friends are lying about their positive
    > experiences.

    I would not doubt that *your* friends lie as much as you do.

    --
    One who makes no mistakes, never makes anything.

  12. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > Limp and lame as usual

    Yep. Why do you keep doing it?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  13. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "RonB" wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >

    >> wrote in message
    >>> --
    >>> Yeah, I drank the Open Source cool-aid... Unlike the other brand, it had
    >>> all the ingredients on the label.

    >> Are you sure it was cool-aid? From your descriptions, it seems more
    >> likely to be bull****.

    > No, that's Micro$haft's business. They monopolize it.

    Limp and lame as usual

  14. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    Actually you're the one who is full of ****, lying troll.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  15. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "RonB" wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> I'm curious. You are a Linux advocate and you are still using Windows? I
    >> find that hard to believe. What makes me suspicious is that you failed to
    >> repair a corrupted Windows installation using the repair function which,
    >> if nothing else, restores the Windows files to a known good state. I
    >> think you are just making things up out of thin air to bolster your
    >> untenable position. Can you describe any mechanism wherein the restore
    >> method could actually fail on a system with intact hardware?

    > You're curiosity is noted -- as is your ignorance. I'm not using Windows,
    > but most of my family and friends are and so I still have to work with the
    > crap. Reverting to the last "known good state" bull**** has worked exactly
    > one time. I know how the Windows repair process is *supposed* to work -- I
    > also know that, except for one time, it hasn't worked that way for me.

    Well you are certainly not being truthful about one thing or the other,
    perhaps more than one, perhaps even all. Can you even postulate a mechanism
    where the repair would not work? Do you even understand the question?

  16. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > I really doubt that is the case. For one thing, I don't see where Windows
    > is very much in need of being fixed. Perhaps you could amplify your
    > remarks. For another thing Windows fixes, when and if they were to occur
    > would be done by Microsoft employees, and not some freelancer or wannabe
    > developer. You are apparently stuck in the OSS mindframe!

    He's talking about fixing hosed Windows installations.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

    Good to the last supper

  17. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > That is not being very clear. Let us start with XP and/or Vista. Do you
    > have any experience in restoring them?

    Well, duh. XP, yes. Vista, no, since I know no one with a Vista machine, and
    the one we had at the office now runs Linux.

    A rescue installation does not always work. Neither does a system restore.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

    Good to the last supper

  18. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    "RonB" wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> Well you are certainly not being truthful about one thing or the other,
    >> perhaps more than one, perhaps even all. Can you even postulate a
    >> mechanism where the repair would not work? Do you even understand the
    >> question?

    > Actually you're the one who is full of ****, lying troll.

    I see that you cannot even hypothesize a condition where your statement is
    true. Checkmate, chump.

  19. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    William Poaster espoused:
    > RonB wrote:
    >
    >> amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >>> So chrisv here thinks that his superior intellect's failure to achieve
    >>> success is proof of the general population's lack of hope. *Will anyone
    >>> give him an "Amen, brother chris!"?

    >> I'll give a hearty BULL**** to you, lying troll.
    >>

    > amicus_curious aka billwg is Bill Weisgerber.
    > Google for Bill Weisgerber and you will see that this troll has done
    > his shill service for MS for years, always in the same *extremely* dishonest
    > way.

    This begs an interesting question: Is it possible to shill in an honest
    way?

  20. Re: Linux: I wasted 4 days and all I got was this locked up system

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 17:11:31 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

    > This begs an interesting question: Is it possible to shill in an honest
    > way?

    What do you know about honesty Mark Kent?
    You are a liar and a hypocrite, just like you girlfriend Roy Schestowitz.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: